• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Badgerst

Oct 27, 2017
I have never played any game in the series. With RE Village coming out, previews and reviews look pretty good. But I don't anything about the series.

I have a ps5. Where should I start? Also I need a break from the slog that is Returnal.

Ghost

Oct 26, 2017
Resident Evil 2 Remake is probably the best Resident Evil game. Classic in mood and style, but modern in gameplay. Can''t go wrong.

GJ

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
I have never played any game in the series. With RE Village coming out, previews and reviews look pretty good. But I don't anything about the series.

I have a ps5. Where should I start? Also I need a break from the slog that is Returnal.

RE7 is free with the PS+ collection and is part 1 in the trilogy that consists of 7, 8 and (probably) 9. So that's a great starting point imo.

N7_Kovalski

Oct 28, 2017
RE Remake is good, although I do think its a bit clunky.
RE2 Remake and RE3 Remake are amazing.
RE4 is good and still holds up well.
I'm gonna get some hate for this BUT I would only play RE5 if you have someone to play with. Game is kinda ass to play by yourself. Same with 6.
RE7 is amazing and a pretty good place to start since you don't really have to know anything about the previous games.

I would go with RE2 and RE3 remakes, then RE7

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
Remake is still the quintessential RE experience. The game design of that game pretty much defines the series.

Jul 18, 2020
Go with Resi 4, that game is still immaculate and you can join us in being pissed off when the remake messes it up.

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Play RE4 and REmake

The RE2 Remake is fine but honestly not as good as the original. The RE3 Remake is straight-up disappointing.

RE7 is fine as a starting point too and ties into Village.

Skip Zero, Code Veronica, RE5, and RE6.

Last edited:

data west

Oct 25, 2017
Mandatory: REmake 1, REmake 2, RE4, RE7

Optional based on which ones you enjoyed: RE2 original, RE3, RE0, Code Veronica, RE 5, Revelations

Haikira

Dec 22, 2017
Northern Ireland
Resident Evil 2 remake wouldn't be a bad place to start. It's set very early in the timeline, has a lot of what makes the series special, and is modernised in all the best ways.

I'd also recommend Resident Evil 1 HD. It might seem a little more clunky to newcomers, but it's an exceptional game and worth keeping and open mind for it.

You can't go wrong with either. If you're looking for something that plays more like a modern game, start with RE2 remake, but if you don't mind trying something that plays a little different start with the remake of the original.

The original Resident Evil 2 was my entry point in the series so I'm maybe being bias, but it was a great way to start the series, and kicked off my life long obsession with horror games.

Last edited:

GJ

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
REmake (the remake of the original game) is kinda held back in this day and age by archaic game design and clunky controls. It's not a bad game at all, but it doesn't represent the rest of the (modern) franchise, gameplay wise. For example you need an item to save your game, but there's a finite number of that item, so if you used all your save items you're out of luck. Same with bullets iirc. So I wouldn't recommend that to a newcomer like other people in this thread.

To add to what I said above; if you want to experience the 'traditional' Resident Evil gameplay go with RE2 remake > RE3 remake > RE4 and maybe try out Revelations 1 and 2 (although I haven't played the second Revelations, so no idea how good that is). If you want the more modern gameplay start with 7 > 8 > ??.

jonjonaug

Oct 25, 2017
The great ones: Resident Evil 1 Remake, Resident Evil 2 remake (also the original), Resident Evil 4 (every available port for sale is good)

Resident Evil 8 is basically a direct sequel to 7 and should be played after 7.

Bigg

Oct 25, 2017
RE is the kind of series where a lot of the stories work fine as a self-contained arc even if playing previous entries gives you more context.

If you're specifically curious about RE8, then it would make a lot of sense to start with RE7 since 8 is a direct follow up.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
If you don't mind fixed camera controls then REmake

If you want modern controls, start at 2make and go by number with the newest version of each game

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
The best starting points are any of the following:

-Resident Evil HD Remaster: A remake of the first Resident Evil, which surpasses the original in pretty much every way for any newcomers. It's the original, very atmospheric, may take some time to get used to the fixed camera set-up, but it's a really good game with great atmosphere.

-Resident Evil 2 (either the original 1998 PS1 game, or the 2019 Remake): Both games tell a story of new character in a new situation, don't need to have played the first game to play this. The 1998 original and 2019 are really different from each other, the Remake is more a reimagining, but both are very, very good, and good starting points.

-Resident Evil 4: Really shaked up the series formula, regarded by many as one of the best games of all time, was made to be newcomer friendly and a good hopping in point for the franchise.

-Resident Evil 7: Changed the formula again to first-person, tells a pretty stand-alone story in an isolated farmhouse in Louisiana. Focused more on horror, can be played on PSVR on PS4/PS5.

Really, any of those would do and make for great entry points. Though, if you're specifically interested in RE8, starting with RE7 may be a good idea, as RE8 is a direct sequel to it.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's between REmake and RE2make - it comes down to how tolerant you are of "dated" techniques like fixed camera angles. If you're fine with that, just grab the original and give it a go. If not, RE2make does a great job adapting the basic "puzzle box" mechanics to a TPS skeleton.

But of course, is arguably the most modernized and a hard refresh for the series, so there's no reason not to start there, either.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
depends how much you are bothered by fixed camera perspective and old looking games.

I'd probably play something like....

RE HD remaster - > RE 2 remake - > RE 3 remake -> RE 4 HD - > RE 5 HD - > RE 7

Oct 30, 2017
How much time are you willing to invest? Are you trying to play RE Village right away? if so that doesn't give you much time at all

RE7 at least since it's part 1 with Village being part 2. probably of 3
If you've got time, RE2 Remake, RE3 Remake

Cliffs notes version of the first games: Umbrella Chronicles and Darkside Chronicles. Light gun shooters for Wii but takes you through each game at fast pace.

If you've got all the time in the world, go through the whole mainline series

Oct 30, 2017
bio1-share-global.png

When you want to jump into a series for the first time, IMO you always start with the first entry and make your way up through it.

AppleMIX

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
RE7 is the bare minimum because RE8 is a direct sequel to it.

Resident Evil 1 Remake is good but dated
Resident Evil 2 Remake is amazing
Resident Evil 3 Remake is good
Resident Evil 4 is a classic and one for the best games of all time
Resident Evil 5 is good with coop
Resident Evil 6 is bad but a guilty pleasure IMO

OP
OP
Badgerst

Badgerst

Oct 27, 2017
Thx all. I am in no hurry. Would prefer a remake or starting with one that takes advantage of newer hardware and gamreplay.
Leaning towards RE 2 Remake

Serule

Oct 25, 2017
7 because it is a soft reboot and leads directly into 8

Then if you want more 2 remake -> 3 remake because they are great

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
REmake
RE2 Remake
RE7

RE4 and RE5 are also great games but they are older and a Remake of RE4 is coming.

If you just want to play one game for now then go with RE2 Remake. Or if you want a scarier horror game then pick RE7. The story of RE7 also leads directly to RE Village.

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
If you've never played RE before I'd go

RE 2 remake
RE 4
RE 7

You could just as well start with RE7 and go from there

If you want something to the side try RE revelations 2

And don't listen to all these nostalgia freaks - RE 3 remake is NOT a good game. I also think RE 1 remake is only enjoyable if you played the original. It does not hold up at all

Truno

Unshakable Resolve
Jan 16, 2020
The story of RE has never been its strong suit, you could probably start anywhere comfortably. Some might recommend REmake as a start, but tank controls might not be your style. I'd honestly recommend RE2 Remake as it's the most modernized 'classic' RE experience

Malcolm9

Oct 27, 2017
UK
depends how much you are bothered by fixed camera perspective and old looking games.

I'd probably play something like....

RE HD remaster - > RE 2 remake - > RE 3 remake - > RE 4 HD - > RE 5 HD - > RE 6 HD - > RE 7

This 100% and then after those you can play RE 8. Checkout RE 0, Code Veronica, Revelations 1 & 2 if you want after that but the ones quoted above are all great.

JDHarbs

Oct 28, 2017
All of RE's stories are generally standalone and incredibly wacky. You'll feel a little lost regardless of where you start and that's kinda the point of RE. It wants to throw players into the middle of some crazy scenario where you don't know wtf is going on and then slowly unravel the mystery along the way.

With that said, I'd still stick with the remakes of 1 and/or 2 to start. That way you can still get introduced to all of the major characters and get the basics of RE lore down before jumping into the later games.

1 is in the old fixed-perspective style so you may not click with it, but it's still one of (if not THE) greatest horror game of all time. If not, then jump straight to 2 which is just as great but modernizes it all and switches to standard third-person. You won't be lost on the story at all since 2 is it's own thing and doesn't really reference 1 outside of a few nods iirc.

If you like those then play more:
- RE3's remake plays just like 2's so it'll be an easy transition.
- RE4 is a soft-reboot and one of the greatest games of all time, but it's controls can make it very difficult for newcomers to get into it. Not an ideal start point.
- RE5 is a fun co-op game, not so much by yourself.
- RE6 I actually haven't played myself because the reception was pretty bad
- The side games are a mixed bag. Some good. Some bad. You don't need to play any of them though.
- RE7 is another soft-reboot, the most horror-focused game in the series, and switches to first-person. It's a great starting point to get setup for 8 quick.
- Then of course RE8 releases this week and picks up where 7 left off.

Last edited:

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
REmake has a fixed perspective camera and some slightly annoying design choices (save ribbons).

Play RE2 Remake first. Absolutely incredible game and it's what got me into the franchise. Then move over into RE7.

RE4 is good. But it's clearly a GameCube era title. They'll remake it probably within the next 5 years or so. Play it then.

Tsosie

Oct 28, 2017
Buffalo, New York
If you want to get even relatively deep into the lore you should start with Remake then move to Remake 2 and Remake 3. Those three games make up the bulk of the original plot.
If you are just looking to get into Resident Evil because you are excited to play Village then you can start with RE 7. While 7 is a continuation of the story it is also a starting point for a new plot trilogy.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
I think REmake is the best game in the series, but it might be too "old" for someone new to the franchise and might put them off playing the rest if they're really not jiving with it.

I think REmake 2 is a great starting point too, although I personally like REmake 3 more (I never played the original 3 though).

I think if you want to just be "ready" for 8, maybe 4 and 7 would be the most important ones to play, and probably the easiest to get into. I think 8 takes some themes from 4 or something, or maybe just references 4... whatever, and "Village" is a direct sequel to 7.

I think just 7 is probably the best route for someone new to the series so you don't get burnt out on them before 8 even comes out.

XR.

Nov 22, 2018
I played Resident Evil Remake for the first time last year and it holds up incredibly well and is my favorite in the series. I'd definitely recommend giving that one a shot.

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
Resident Evil 7 is undoubtedly the best starting point for newcomers, especially since it's free as part of the PS+ Collection on PS5. While the enemy variety is admittedly lacking, the art direction is extremely good (and disgusting), the tone retains a lot of the camp of earlier entries in the series without being too goofy to be scary, and exploration is both intense and rewarding. It's also got Jack Baker, who is one of my favorite villains in the series in spite of having been introduced so recently. Be aware though that RE7 is going for a sort of "hillbilly horror" vibe, not unlike Rob Zombie's Firefly Trilogy or the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre movies, so expecting that sort of theme in other entries may wind up being a bit jarring. It's a very special beast.

REmake 2 (2019's Resident Evil 2) is the next-best place to start, blending classic adventure/horror elements with the camera perspective of Resident Evil 4-6 (and spinoffs released during that time). It's fantastically creepy and goes for a significantly darker edge than the ultra campy Resident Evil 2 from the PSX, but miraculously it never stops feeling like Resident Evil in spite of being so much gorier and grittier.

REmake (simply titled "Resident Evil") is an excellent adventure/horror game that harks back to a genre of survival horror game that simply isn't made anymore. It's aged incredibly well, but the crucial thing to keep in mind is that its systems are extremely archaic, and so you will often become stuck and unaware of what to do next simply because of the game's incredibly vague directions. I would keep this one on the backburner until you're more familiar with later games in the series, because it's a lot more fun to play once you've familiarized yourself with the considerably more accessible recent entries.

yogurt

Oct 25, 2017
There are infinite spin-offs so I'll just go over the main numbered series.

Essential to understanding the series:
Resident Evil Remake (though you may not jive with its gameplay style)
Resident Evil 4
Resident Evil 2 Remake

Also fun and worth playing:
Resident Evil 3 Remake
Resident Evil 7

Games that are a mess but can be fun in co-op or if you're super into RE:
Resident Evil 5
Resident Evil 6

Skip:
Resident Evil 0

There is an overarching story line to the RE games, but honestly you can play these in almost any order and figure out what's going on. I would recommend starting with REmake 1, REmake 2, RE4, or RE7 depending on what appeals to you the most.