• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Footos22

Oct 25, 2017
I'm completely baffled by the comment to be honest. Out of all the footage we've seen so far THIS is without doubt in game. Why on earth would they show those fighting scenes, from that angle, if it was CG?
Lol that is not in game. All the combat we've seen so far is behind the shoulder gameplay. This is specially made for advertising purposes.

StuBurns

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Lol that is not in game. All the combat we've seen so far is behind the shoulder gameplay. This is specially made for advertising purposes.
They mean in game as in rendered in real-time using the game engine. Not literally direct-feed footage from the game as played normally.

LoudMouse

Nov 23, 2017

And you don't think perhaps they play with the camera during certain play sections? I suppose you could be right but to me this doesn't look CGI, apart from the opening.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
And you don't think perhaps they play with the camera during certain play sections? I suppose you could be right but to me this doesn't look CGI, apart from the opening.

Dude this is CGI just like The Uncharted 4 ad too. It must be made by the Digic Pictures Hungarian company that makes most of the CGIs and ads for games including Mortal Kombat, Batman, all Assassin's Creed games, The Withcer, Uncharted 4 and even FFXV Omen trailer and now GOW. They do good CGIs but they mess up the original characters' faces each time.

LoudMouse

Nov 23, 2017
Dude this is CGI just like The Uncharted 4 ad too. It must be made by the Digic Pictures Hungarian company that makes most of the CGIs and ads for games including Mortal Kombat, Batman, all Assassin's Creed games, The Withcer, Uncharted 4 and even FFXV Omen trailer and now GOW. They do good CGIs but they mess up the original characters' faces each time.

Is there a better video I haven't seen? What are you lot watching? I just see a really bad and grainy video projected on the pitch (I think) that only fills half the screen.

LoudMouse

Nov 23, 2017
You mean of this ad? I don't know. That is what I am asking too.

But it's a grainy video of what appears to be another camera angle for this particular scene. The video isn't clear enough to see if it's CG. I'd still have to assume it was gameplay. Or are people just judging the whole thing on the opening cinematic? I'd also assume the kids face has been redesigned before I dismissed it out of hand.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
But it's a grainy video of what appears to be another camera angle for this particular scene. The video isn't clear enough to see if it's CG. I'd still have to assume it was gameplay. Or are people just judging the whole thing on the opening cinematic?

The opening cinematics is obviously CGI but it is not that hard to to distinguish that supposed gameplay is CGI too. It has very fluent and smooth animations and effects and the close up of the Jotun looks very detailed and not the same the one shown in the game. It is CGI and continuation of the the opening. It doesn't need that much effort to notice that. If you watched the Digic Pictures works previously, you would recognize that instatntly. Why would they start with efw seconds of CGI made by that compan they change to an isometric gameplay that is not suppsoed to be in the game? And like I said, most of the ads are CGIs.

Contesting this is clueless even if the video is low quality.

noctix

Oct 27, 2017
o6uDRN5.gif

IGYZlOn.gif

Oh My God of War.

This looks incredible. This is the first time they have shown so many enemies on screen.

Memento

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Wow

That was so cool

This is going to be a monster sales wise

Edit: Guys, come on. It was CG.

Jacob4815

Oct 29, 2017
Cory talked about scenes with more than 100 enemies on screen. This trailer (CG or not) could be a hint to combat sequences with a different camera.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Cory talked about scenes with more than 100 enemies on screen. This trailer (CG or not) could be a hint to combat sequences with a different camera.

Yeah. But I wonder how they gonna deal with such number of enemies when it comes to the camera. If they gonna shift to such isometric distant view then it is an instant epic fail. So much detail sighting gonna be lost and the gameplay gonna be so clusmy.

Heavenly Sword reached around 3000 enemies and never used such camera view. Lair had even around 13k enemies on screen.

There is no different camera in this game. They already confirmed that many times.

Well. They have shown before when figthing one enemy like a duel the camera is so close but if watch the E3 2017 trailer you will see that the camera moves further to show more enemies.

Sameer Sedlar

Feb 8, 2018
Egypt
This looks pretty crazy, really crazy good.

On the other hand, the kid's comments are pretty damn annoying. I fear he will ruin the experience for me.

Rezbit

Oct 26, 2017
I thought this was going to be a regular ad, but that is actually pretty clever marketing.

kowalski

Oct 27, 2017
Well. They have shown before when figthing one enemy like a duel the camera is so close but if watch the E3 2017 trailer you will see that the camera moves further to show more enemies.
Aha, yes you are right, the camera sometimes will pull back and move a little, but what i meant was something like the one in this video or like the previous Games.
Source? I know they've said there'll be no camera cuts, not heard that they'll have no different angles. I'll be really surprised if the camera doesn't pull back to the classic GoW angle at some point.
Source for what? you can watch and read all the media about the game and one of the main things they talked about for many times was the camera and how it will be behind Kratos through all the game. now if they want to surprise us and make one area with a camera similar to the previous games then who knows.

tyfon

Nov 2, 2017
Norway
Holy crap..
I'm not into sports but are no places safe from marketing anymore?
I'd storm out demanding my money back if I had paid for a ticket to an event like that and they shoved commercials in my face.

Is this a US only thing or do they do this in Europe as well? I've never seen anything like it before.

I'm looking forward to God of War though :)

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz
Why didn't this get a Superbowl ad?

I'm guessing since Venom didn't, Sony doesn't have that kind of money...

A super bowl ad is like $5.5 million for 30 seconds. It's a waste of money here. You've got to know your audience, which is why this was a waste too. No one at that game cares.

I do expect to see a trailer for it during Black Panther this weekend but, I dunno if they wanted to spend that much also. YouTube does it's job well enough.

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
That looked fantastic except for the part that it wasn't a direct-feed video. Sure hope Sony eventually releases it on the official PlayStation channel.

But man, I really love that main theme. The soundtrack is gonna be epic.

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
Holy crap..
I'm not into sports but are no places safe from marketing anymore?
I'd storm out demanding my money back if I had paid for a ticket to an event like that and they shoved commercials in my face.

Is this a US only thing or do they do this in Europe as well? I've never seen anything like it before.

I'm looking forward to God of War though :)
You cant be serious the entire NBA is full from top to bottom with ads.

Memento

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
A super bowl ad is like $5.5 million for 30 seconds. It's a waste of money here. You've got to know your audience, which is why this was a waste too. No one at that game cares.

I do expect to see a trailer for it during Black Panther this weekend but, I dunno if they wanted to spend that much also. YouTube does it's job well enough.

Why was this a waste? It is NBA. Millions are watching it. It doesnt make sense to market a game for the audience you already know it will be there day 1. You need to entice new people to your product. That is... marketing.

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
the crowd booed cuz they couldnt see shit

and this didnt play on Live TV so the millions watching at home didnt see it either

so good job Sony

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz
Why was this a waste? It is NBA. Millions are watching it. It doesnt make sense to market a game for the audience you already know it will be there day 1. You need to entice new people to your product. That is... marketing.

Then run the ad on television. This was obviously a gimmick using the projectors for the floor that was badly planned for the audience there. No one paid $150 + to see that. Honestly if you've been to an NBA game the ads and shit are annoying as hell. Most of those arenas have bad acoustics.

Ricky_R

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
It was CG. There's a clear distinction between this and the game visuals. SSM probably had no time to work on a trailer of this kind so they went with a company that could.

It was probably easier to go CG considering how the ad was set up using the scoreboard screen in sync with the court projection.

bud

Oct 27, 2017
that's not a very good ad.

gives the impression that it's an isometric game.

Last edited:

MetalGear?

Nov 8, 2017
I don't understand why they do this CGI shit when the real game looks clearly better.
I wouldn't say 'better' than CGI, but I agree, why do it when you're game looks amazing? The mainstream audience this is aimed at are the last ones to care about texture quality or animation I would think. (Not that I think those two things are bad in GOW, just random examples)

Simo

Oct 26, 2017
Michigan, USA
The opening cinematics is obviously CGI but it is not that hard to to distinguish that supposed gameplay is CGI too. It has very fluent and smooth animations and effects and the close up of the Jotun looks very detailed and not the same the one shown in the game. It is CGI and continuation of the the opening. It doesn't need that much effort to notice that. If you watched the Digic Pictures works previously, you would recognize that instatntly. Why would they start with efw seconds of CGI made by that compan they change to an isometric gameplay that is not suppsoed to be in the game? And like I said, most of the ads are CGIs.

Contesting this is clueless even if the video is low quality.

The opening is CG given how different Kratos and Atreus look but the rest of the footage was actually from the game engine.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
I'm loving the father/son dynamic here. That's rather underrepresented thematically in gaming.