• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Datajoy

use of an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Angola / Zaire border region.
Holy crap..
I'm not into sports but are no places safe from marketing anymore?
I'd storm out demanding my money back if I had paid for a ticket to an event like that and they shoved commercials in my face.

Is this a US only thing or do they do this in Europe as well? I've never seen anything like it before.

I'm looking forward to God of War though :)
Lol don't all European football clubs have a huge advertiser logo on their shirts instead of their club logo/name? To me that is way more intrusive and unforgivable than an ad projected on to the floor before the game even starts.

rosenborg-bk-2016-adidas-kit-3.jpg

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
This strange spectacle, showcased tonight during halftime of the Warriors-Spurs game, is the two-minute long "War on the Floor," a promotion for the forthcoming Sony PlayStation 4 game God of War.

"We leverage a lot of traditional marketing and media, [things like] traditional broadcast and digital [ads], but sometimes we want to do things that transcend gaming," says Asad Qizilbash, vice president of marketing for Sony PlayStation. "We want to do things that go into cultural conversations."

But Qizilbash knows that it's not enough for just the 20,000 in attendance tonight to see the show. They also have to share it far and wide–and so do people who see a longer video showing the actual in-arena experience that will drop online tomorrow

Qizilbash says PlayStation and its partners at BBH New York spent about a month working on the "War on the Floor" story, along with the technology powering the activation. And he says that project's biggest challenge was trying to tell a story about God of War in a two-minute presentation on an NBA floor–something no one who went to the game was expecting. But in the end, the video does illustrate all of God of War's most essential elements, he says: Big boss battles, beautiful environments, and a whole lot of combat.

"The measure for us is the social amplification," he says. "The conversation and engagement. The way we look at it, yeah, you could spend money on advertising [but] for us, it all starts with a great sharable piece of content. The network effect of those 20,000 people, sharing the video on their phones, tweeting it out on social, [plus the commercial on ESPN], it creates a lot of conversation and sharing, and that's the ROI we're going to measure."
https://www.fastcompany.com/4052912...-court-was-a-god-of-war-video-game-last-night

Last edited:

Deleted member 17403

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That was pretty dope how things transferred between the projector and the floor. Was a cool demonstration, can't wait until April.

Ricky_R

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Holy crap..
I'd storm out demanding my money back if I had paid for a ticket to an event like that and they shoved commercials in my face.

Is this a US only thing or do they do this in Europe as well? I've never seen anything like it before.

Lol. It's not like they paused the game to run the ad or glued people to their seats.

It's just an ad ran before the game, between quarters or at halftime.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A really great way to market this game would be to tease the kidnapping/disappearance/death of the kid......something to let people know that not every scene/sequence is going to be some kind of tutorial or lesson. His ever-presence in these marketing materials only makes me less interested. "Get ready boy.....careful how you shoot those completely ineffectual arrows....try not to get yourself cornered in some standoff that I am inevitably going to have to save you from"

Oct 27, 2017
Holy crap..

Is this a sarcastic post, I am not quite sure anymore.

giancarlo123x

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Holy crap..

Oh sick, new meme.

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, it is CG. A pity, I generally dislike them showing CG when their rendering engine is good enough to display most of this...It is why I often really dislike ad divisions...Show me the fucking content...Ad departments have a life of their own

Oct 25, 2017
A really great way to market this game would be to tease the kidnapping/disappearance/death of the kid......something to let people know that not every scene/sequence is going to be some kind of tutorial or lesson. His ever-presence in these marketing materials only makes me less interested. "Get ready boy.....careful how you shoot those completely ineffectual arrows....try not to get yourself cornered in some standoff that I am inevitably going to have to save you from"

It's an ad.. it's not that deep

tyfon

Nov 2, 2017
Norway
Lol don't all European football clubs have a huge advertiser logo on their shirts instead of their club logo/name? To me that is way more intrusive and unforgivable than an ad projected on to the floor before the game even starts.

Yeah I've seen the shirts, it's quite sick but having ads run on the court itself seems insane.
I mean, people pay en entry fee to watch this, it should be more than enough to cover the employee salary for the even and the rent of the court.

Is this a sarcastic post, I am not quite sure anymore.

I'm not sarcastic, I my jaw was almost on the floor when watching that clip. It's insane.
What is even more insane is that this appears to be normal from the replies. Glad I'm not into sports, it would drive me crazy.

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
Is there really going be only a European bundle for this game?

WhovianGamer

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Apparently it didn't go over well and was booed because it was projected on the court and the crowd couldn't see shit. lol

Gotta buy the good seats...

As for the complaints about ads, Football has ads on the front of shirts, the sleeves and all around the pitch. This being on during a break of play isn't bad and at least it was interesting...

Simo

Oct 26, 2017
Michigan, USA
Yeah, it is CG. A pity, I generally dislike them showing CG when their rendering engine is good enough to display most of this...It is why I often really dislike ad divisions...Show me the fucking content...Ad departments have a life of their own

Nope.
The exhibition is an example of a technology called projection mapping. Produced by BBH New York, the halftime show is an exquisite artistic achievement, generated by the actual God of War game engine, and perfectly by eight DLP within the confines of the basketball court, and looking every bit like it is itself a giant video game.

SLB1904

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
What's wrong with you?

Shauni

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't need to be deep. Just do something to let me know that I'm not going to be running around for 20-30 hours with a twelve-year old in tow.

Well, I mean they have already pretty much confirmed that you will be, more or less. So you got about two months to get over it or just drop off the game if that's a deal breaker for you

FancyPants

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I'm completely baffled by the comment to be honest. Out of all the footage we've seen so far THIS is without doubt in game. Why on earth would they show those fighting scenes, from that angle, if it was CG?

I don't think you know what "in-game footage" means. This is very, very obviously made specifically for advertising the game (based on areas and things that happen in the game), like a ton of Sony stuff is.

ShutterMunster

Art Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I saw this ad on tv last night during the game and thought it was really bizarre. Obviously it wasn't as long as the video in the OP abut it didn't look great visually and clearly isn't representative of the game experience, so I just didn't get it.

I almost thought it was an advertisement for some sort of mobile game because of the top down view.

The court projection thing is a cool idea though.

Dracon

Oct 27, 2017
Not the best scene since it was so far away for the audience to see. Should have been an actual ad

Datajoy

use of an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Angola / Zaire border region.
I mean, people pay en entry fee to watch this, it should be more than enough to cover the employee salary for the even and the rent of the court.
The warriors are a multi-billion dollar enterprise lol.. their employee's are millionaires and they own the court. They aren't trying to break even and call it a day here, they are trying to make as much money as possible. Personally I don't mind it at all, would have been cool to see in person! And usually if there is some cheesy ass promotion during halftime, I just stand in the beer line haha.

BadAss2961

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Would be cool if they actually use the classic cam for at least one scene in the game. Shoulder cam can't give the same sense of scale this ad does.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
Holy crap..

Gonna chalk this up to you not being into sports. There is a lot of downtime at sporting events. Playing an ad is not a big deal.