• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

capnjazz

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Byrgenwerth
I've never played a God of War game and I was hoping that some trailers or more exposure to the game would get me excited for it but it just looks so bland. Also, wasn't there a rumor that God of War preorders were lower than expected? With Detroit, Spiderman, Last of Us: Harley Davidson Edition and God of War being Sony's lineup for 2018, I'm really disappointed. 2017 was so much better for me, it's a bummer.

Here's hoping they release more videos with actual game play before the game comes out.

Apex88

Jan 15, 2018
My first impression was "well of course the camera switches around to different viewpoints at certain points in the game".

If your going to have a dozen plus hour game, with no camera cuts, huge locations, huge enemies, numerous (upto 100?) enemies, you'll have to be creative with the camera.

Last edited:

SLB1904

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I've never played a God of War game and I was hoping that some trailers or more exposure to the game would get me excited for it but it just looks so bland. Also, wasn't there a rumor that God of War preorders were lower than expected? With Detroit, Spiderman, Last of Us: Harley Davidson Edition and God of War being Sony's lineup for 2018, I'm really disappointed. 2017 was so much better for me, it's a bummer.

Here's hoping they release more videos with actual game play before the game comes out.

bland
bland/
adjective
  1. lacking strong features or characteristics and therefore uninteresting.
Hmmm

Basarili

Oct 27, 2017
Haarlem
Soo cool, but is it really worth to start this early and in a stadium? I don't know about how much people see it live on TV.

Deleted member 36086

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 13, 2017
Holy crap..
I'm not into sports but are no places safe from marketing anymore?
I'd storm out demanding my money back if I had paid for a ticket to an event like that and they shoved commercials in my face.

Is this a US only thing or do they do this in Europe as well? I've never seen anything like it before.

I'm looking forward to God of War though :)

Are you going to flip your lid because the arenas are named after corporate sponsors too?

#1 defender

Oct 27, 2017
Dude this is CGI just like The Uncharted 4 ad too. It must be made by the Digic Pictures Hungarian company that makes most of the CGIs and ads for games including Mortal Kombat, Batman, all Assassin's Creed games, The Withcer, Uncharted 4 and even FFXV Omen trailer and now GOW. They do good CGIs but they mess up the original characters' faces each time.

They also did the CGI ad for TLG.

Mugen X

Oct 27, 2017
Colorado

Those pre order figures were prior to a release date, I'd be curious to see how they are now. As for the game itself I feel differently, looks stellar imo and the gameplay looks interesting. Idk where people are getting this narrative that they haven't shown gameplay, there's been 4 trailers, 3 of which have shown gameplay. Not to mention we're two months away and I'm sure the marketing is going to start kicking in along with previews as well which should provide more footage and info on the gameplay. 2017 was a strong year for Sony but this years lineup is even better imo. Shadow of the Colossus, Yakuza 6, God of War, NNK2, Spider-Man, Days Gone, Detroit, concrete genie, and I'm sure there's more I'm not thinking of.

Deleted member 36493

User requested account closure
Dec 19, 2017
Love the new logo:
God-of-War-Logo-PNG-File.png

god_of_war_logo_e32016_by_kindratblack-da6mjxh.png

Joeyro

Oct 28, 2017
This is not a good ad at all, why even use CG when the game already looks incredible in real time? nothing exciting to capture the casuals either, meh.

Jokegeta

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Because nobody wants that freaking BS.

Guess this isn't the game for you!

I love this approach. It's about time they did something different with God of War. Can't just run a franchise into the ground with the same thing every game. Otherwise you'll end up with franchise fatigue like Halo, and Gears.

witty_mittie3

Oct 25, 2017
Mississippi

If I recall, that rumour about lower pre-order numbers surfaced weeks before the game's release date was announced. Makes sense not to have higher numbers if a release date hadn't been released as of yet. Didn't get my pre-order till after the announcement.

fanboy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Slovakia
Really?

Half the audience would have seen it upside down as well...

That's really dumb then, and a waste.

Why didn't this get a Superbowl ad?

I'm guessing since Venom didn't, Sony doesn't have that kind of money...

They have not enough finished material for full blown venom trailer. They wrapped up shooting just month ago.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Source for what? you can watch and read all the media about the game and one of the main things they talked about for many times was the camera and how it will be behind Kratos through all the game. now if they want to surprise us and make one area with a camera similar to the previous games then who knows.
About the camera always staying behind Kratos. I've only seen them say they camera won't cut, nothing about it being locked behind Kratos. You can do a lot of camera angles without cuts, it's probably the best thing about a continues camera shot is that it shows you a lot more, from many different angles.

Oct 25, 2017
Silicon Valley
I don't understand why they do this CGI shit when the real game looks clearly better.

Why all the the marketing ads are in CGI, even Uncharted 4?

Wow

That was so cool

This is going to be a monster sales wise

Edit: Guys, come on. It was CG.

It's CGI.

PS4 would probably melt trying to do this™

It was CG. There's a clear distinction between this and the game visuals. SSM probably had no time to work on a trailer of this kind so they went with a company that could.

It was probably easier to go CG considering how the ad was set up using the scoreboard screen in sync with the court projection.

I wouldn't say 'better' than CGI, but I agree, why do it when you're game looks amazing? The mainstream audience this is aimed at are the last ones to care about texture quality or animation I would think. (Not that I think those two things are bad in GOW, just random examples)

That was definitely CG.

That was awesome though...

It was pre-rendered, sure, but it was not straight up CGI from some random marketing company. It was made using the God of War engine, as Simo pointed out: https://www.fastcompany.com/4052912...-court-was-a-god-of-war-video-game-last-night

Oct 25, 2017
Silicon Valley
I don't like the isometric look that much, goes against what the new God of War actually is like
You've played the whole game? I think people keep assuming stuff when all we've heard is there won't be camera cuts. The camera has dynamically moved around the boat, around Atreus, pulled back for larger enemies (while framing only them), and so on. There is no reason to believe the camera won't pull back for larger fights in that fashion, then return to Kratos when the last enemy is left - or after the battle after a transition to another location, such as the bridge collapse.

Oct 27, 2017
You've played the whole game? I think people keep assuming stuff when all we've heard is there won't be camera cuts. The camera has dynamically moved around the boat, around Atreus, pulled back for larger enemies (while framing only them), and so on. There is no reason to believe the camera won't pull back for larger fights in that fashion, then return to Kratos when the last enemy is left - or after the battle after a transition to another location, such as the bridge collapse.

I think you misinterpreted. I believe they were speaking on the ad versus the game we will be getting.

Oct 25, 2017
Silicon Valley
I think you misinterpreted. I believe they were speaking on the ad versus the game we will be getting.
Obviously the camera angle was designed around projection mapping, but my point is simply that we've heard directly from Cory that the camera will pull back for when Kratos is facing upwards or more than 100 enemies at the same time. What's to say they won't occasionally do a camera angle just like that? Especially if its just canon fodder enemies.

Oct 27, 2017
Obviously the camera angle was designed around projection mapping, but my point is simply that we've heard directly from Cory that the camera will pull back for when Kratos is facing upwards or more than 100 enemies at the same time. What's to say they won't occasionally do a camera angle just like that? Especially if its just canon fodder enemies.

I hear ya, and I am okay with that. Super stoked for it!

Virtua King

Dec 29, 2017
My Dubs and Giants are always adverting PlayStation it seems. Very cool, I'm guessing this was shown at the spurs game.

Oct 25, 2017
Silicon Valley
I hear ya, and I am okay with that. Super stoked for it!
What I'd love to see is some trippy stuff. I doubt we'll 100% get "zero camera cuts" but rather, at one point or another they will use tricks that keep the camera appearing uncut, so they can do things like say... fly into the iris of one of the characters and let us see their nightmare, or the scene flashes dark (with only lit elements remaining on-screen) and returns and we're in like a haunted/upside down version of where we were. Hopeful thinking, maybe, but would be amazing...

Oct 27, 2017
What I'd love to see is some trippy stuff. I doubt we'll 100% get "zero camera cuts" but rather, at one point or another they will use tricks that keep the camera appearing uncut, so they can do things like say... fly into the iris of one of the characters and let us see their nightmare, or the scene flashes dark (with only lit elements remaining on-screen) and returns and we're in like a haunted/upside down version of where we were. Hopeful thinking, maybe, but would be amazing...

I am still trying to wrap my head around how it is all going to work in game, like, the scenes we have seen in the trailer with him talking to other characters, etc..

pharmboy044

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone who might be worried about low pre-order numbers, maybe they should ask Colin to find out from his "insider" friend if the pre-order numbers have increased once the release date was announced.

I'm guessing they did and no one has anything to worry about regarding this games sales numbers.

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
That's an interesting way to market. I'm kinda interested in that camera angle, though lol. It'd be cool to switch into a mini rts mode to control the kid.

Sameer Sedlar

Feb 8, 2018
Egypt
Guess this isn't the game for you!

I love this approach. It's about time they did something different with God of War. Can't just run a franchise into the ground with the same thing every game. Otherwise you'll end up with franchise fatigue like Halo, and Gears.
I for one would have been fine with it, if this was a new character, rather than good old Kratos.
Also a franchise doesn't need to go on forever, I firmly believe God of War and Uncharted had their run, time for new blood.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
It was pre-rendered, sure, but it was not straight up CGI from some random marketing company. It was made using the God of War engine, as Simo pointed out: https://www.fastcompany.com/4052912...-court-was-a-god-of-war-video-game-last-night

What is the veracity of this? Did the article writer workwith SSM (or got direct infos from them) or is he just assuming that? Pre-rendered videos don't alter the look and morphology of the characters. This is what Digic Pictures always does and this is clearly their work. This is their signature and this isn't the first time they did this.
Sorry but I won't believe this, unless we get an official confirmation from someone who worked on this whether SSM or the company who did this.