• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Chaserjoey

Oct 27, 2017
Megara_icon.jpg

Zeus_icon.jpg

Hades_icon.jpg

Hercules_icon.jpg

Pegasus_icon.jpg

Phil_icon.jpg

Megara and Zeus will be included in the story of Olympus. Megara first appeared in Kingdom Hearts II and this is the first time Zeus will be used in the Kingdom Hearts series. This comes after a leaked screenshot a few weeks back of Sora, Donald, and Goofy standing in an area of Olympus with the Zeus statue. The scan also showed Pegasus, who was in Kingdom Hearts II as well, standing next to Hercules. Pegasus was previously seen in a 2015 trailer where he pulled a chariot that Sora summoned in Twilight Town.

Aside from these characters being confirmed, Maleficent and Hades will be appearing in the world, and every Titan from Hercules will be making an appearance (including confirmed boss battles against the Rock Titan, Lava Titan, and Ice Titan). Xigbar will also be making an appearance in the world, as he goads Sora about his destiny, and proper NPCs are there as well.

Olympus is the first world that we will go to in Kingdom Hearts III. It's also a massive world, with many different locations, characters, and bosses being shown off. Areas include climbing the mountain (which includes meeting Hades and battling the Rock Titan), going through some ruins where Xigbar taunts Sora and Hercules saves a family, battling Heartless in Thebes, and exploring the Heavens of Olympus.

Like, for the first world in the game it is incredibly meaty and this is only one Disney world out of seven confirmed Disney worlds so far (and one original), excluding the unannounced final world. We've seen the scale of several others as well so I'm impressed by what Square Enix have pulled off with Unreal Engine 4 in just four years.

I'm also super excited to have Zeus finally be involved in the Kingdom Hearts story. He most likely won't be voiced by Rip Torn but just having him be a part of closing out the Hercules storyline is wonderful. Hopefully more renders and information will be coming out in the near future, as both Olympus and Twilight Town are the first two worlds in the game so Japanese magazines could be doing some nice featurettes up into January.

I tried to make this thread a bit informative to justify the lack of imagery (for now, hopefully Square Enix will release high quality renders of these characters) but mods feel free to close if you don't think this thread works.

Last edited:

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
including confirmed boss battles against the Rock Titan, Lava Titan, and Ice Titan
After Dream Drop Distance being a massive disappointment in the Disney boss department, it's so good to know they're going balls to the wall for III.

And if Ice Titan got the upgrade in spectacle that Rock Titan did... boi

OP
OP
Chaserjoey

Chaserjoey

Oct 27, 2017
After Dream Drop Distance being a massive disappointment in the Disney boss department, it's so good to know they're going balls to the wall for III.

And if Ice Titan got the upgrade in spectacle that Rock Titan did... boi
They've really gone above and beyond with the Disney aspect for this game. It looks to be handled way better than Dream Drop Distance.

Heck out of the seven Disney worlds announced, we know that these are villains:
  • Hades
  • Randall
  • Davy Jones
  • Baymax
  • Mother Gothel
Hans is MIA and they haven't revealed any main series villains for Toy Box but I'm loving that these characters aren't swept to the side and the Organization just take over the villain roles. Gaston being replaced by Xaldin was super upsetting.

Needs more Auron TBH
Needs more Final Fantasy characters in general TBH
:(

OP
OP
Chaserjoey

Chaserjoey

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, dark Baymax. Right now he's just a battle where you follow him while flying on the back of regular Baymax while shooting lasers at him.

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can't wait for the plot of this world. It's going to be awesome to finally visit Olympus.

Enthus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
When Olympus was first revealed I was kind of upset that out of all the Renaissance-era movies, Hercules was the one that was being brought into 3. But after seeing way more of it and how it has been expanded, I'm actually pretty excited.

That reminds me that we really need to start seeing the FF characters.

Hopefully.

My dream for Kingdom Hearts has been to have a rep from each mainline FF game, not necessarily all in the same game but over the course of the series, but then they stopped including any FF reps at all. Let me see Cecil Harvey, Balthier, and Celes at the Battle of the Two Thousand Heartless, Square.

OP
OP
Chaserjoey

Chaserjoey

Oct 27, 2017
There's no way Radiant Garden won't be in, after all its previous appearances, and it being Maleficent's base of operations...
It is in, but we've only seen Ansem's computer room and one outside area where Vexen and Demyx talk. It being playable looks... unlikely, which disappoints me. I'm preparing myself for Radiant Garden to be used in the same way it was used in Dream Drop Distance: as a cutscene only world.

Kasai

Jan 24, 2018
I thought there was 10 worlds, not 7? I seem to recall some Square guy mentioning it or maybe it being a thread.

OP
OP
Chaserjoey

Chaserjoey

Oct 27, 2017
I thought there was 10 worlds, not 7? I seem to recall some Square guy mentioning it or maybe it being a thread.
These are the confirmed playable worlds:
  • Olympus (Hercules)
  • Twilight Town / Mysterious Tower (Fantasia)
  • Kingdom of Corona (Tangled)
  • Toy Box (Toy Story)
  • Monstropolis (Monsters Inc)
  • The Caribbean (Pirates of the Caribbean 3)
  • San Fransokyo (Big Hero 6)
  • Arendelle (Frozen)
  • Final boss world
These worlds are in the game but unconfirmed if they are playable:
  • Land of Departure / Castle Oblivion
  • Radiant Garden
  • The Dark World (Realm of Darkness, has some playable elements as shown at TGS but exploration whenever you want is unknown)
  • Destiny Islands
  • Keyblade Graveyard
They haven't finished announcing worlds either.
Is this seriously still not out yet?
It's out in three months.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
Man, hercules is my favourite 2d animated movie ever, im sad im not a big fan of KH, would love a good alone modern game about hercules even if thats impossible.

Miamiwesker

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
Still waiting on at least one Disney level from one of the 90s big four , I know they have been done but screw it, I need to see it done with these graphics.

Aladdin and Lion King come out soon, good opportunity.

Sebalt

Oct 28, 2017
Characters look good but... the Kingdom Hearts II rendering was better for the 2D movies:

1539927635-sketch-1539927559196.png

bulletyen

Nov 12, 2017
Characters look good but... the Kingdom Hearts II rendering was better for the 2D movies:

1539927635-sketch-1539927559196.png

Yeah the flat shading was more true to the look of the original film. Going for that 3D lighting with slight specular highlights is a mistake. Makes it look like early 90s CG, or the plastic McDonalds toys that use to accompany these releases, which is to say they look god awful.

The approach Osaka took with this world tells me they don't understand anything about the appeal or the art direction of that film.

450544_1274727196463_full.jpg

latest

Part of that film's defining visual charm is the graphic design nature of it. The flattened color with bold curvy outlines is what gives the film its distinct look. I understand the miracle of 2D animation cannot really ever be replicated perfectly by 3D, but cel shading would have brought it a lot closer. Shame, when the other worlds are so spot on. Oh well, what's done is done.