• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
Our second PS5 system software beta is kicking off tomorrow with new ways to personalize your console experience across party chat, Game Base and accessibility settings. We're also rolling out a PS4 system software beta tomorrow for players to try out the community-requested Open Parties feature, which is also coming in the PS5 beta.

In addition, for PS5 beta participants in the U.S. and U.K, we're previewing a feature that enables voice commands for finding and opening games and apps, as well as controlling media playback (English language setting only).

New Party Chat Options

In response to community feedback, we've made some updates to the Parties system:

• Open and Closed Parties (PS5 and PS4 betas)
    • When you start a party, you can now select either an open party or a closed party:
      • An open party lets your friends see and join the party without an invite. Friends of party members can also join.
      • A closed party is only for players you invite.
    • Note: in Game Base on PS5 and Party on PS4, if you select [Open Party] when starting a party, only players using the beta version of the PS5 or PS4 system software will be able to join. To start a party that players who aren't using the beta version can also join, select [Closed Party].
5829140c3eb476a8c7bc822ecc20f2ad764101cb.png

• Voice chat reporting feature update (PS5 beta)
    • If you want to report something that someone in a party said, there are now visual indicators for you to identify who was speaking. This will help PlayStation Safety take appropriate action based on your report. You can learn more about this feature here.
  • Share Play update (PS5 beta)
    • Start Share Play directly from the voice chat card. You no longer need to start Share Screen first to use Share Play.

PS5 Game Base Enhancements

• Voice chats are now called parties. For easier access, we've divided the Game Base menu into three tabs: Friends, Parties and Messages.
03314914cf401d79a02a930f28e227c7f4b098d4.png

• From the Game Base control menu and cards, you can now:
    • View all your friends under the [Friends] tab in the control menu, or access the player search feature and friend requests through links on this tab.
    • Add a player to a group or create a new group directly from Game Base in the Control Center. You can also send text messages, quick messages, images, video clips, and view a group's shared media from this card.
    • When someone in a party is sharing their screen, you'll now see the (on air) icon.
    • We've made it easier to decline friend requests by adding a [Decline] button to your friend request list.

New PS5 UI Features

• Filter by genre
    • We've added an option to filter your game collection by genre, letting you quickly find specific types of game experiences.
  • Keep in Home
    • You can now keep the games or apps you choose on your home screen by selecting "Keep in Home" with the (options) button.
    • You can keep a maximum of five games and apps on each home screen with this feature.
03761de6bea19cb85b5ae3b038194f9a2dee0af6.png

• Increased apps on the home screen
    • You can now have a total of 14 games and apps appear on your home screen.
  • Trophies UI update
    • We've updated the visual design of trophy cards and the trophy list. You can also see suggestions for which trophies to earn on the trophy tracker and access it from the Control Center whenever you're playing a game.
b337f6b49f566314bb1ce2fef19003099eacca10-scaled.jpg

• Start Share Screen from the Create menu
    • From the Create menu, you can now start a Share Screen and stream your gameplay to an open party.

New Accessibility Features

• More Screen Reader languages
    • Screen Reader, which reads aloud on-screen text and provides spoken guidance for operating the console, is now supported in six additional languages: Russian, Arabic, Dutch, Brazilian Portuguese, Polish, and Korean.
    • This expands Screen Reader support to 15 languages, including the current ones (United States English, United Kingdom English, Japanese, Italian, German, Spanish, Latin American Spanish, French and Canadian French).
  • Mono audio for headphones
    • You can now enable mono audio for headphones so the same audio is played from both the left and right headphones, instead of a stereo or 3D audio sound mix. This feature provides an added option to enhance the PS5 audio experience, particularly for players with unilateral hearing loss.**
c9431bafd60623dee3cbee4d5ca98fe870adc913-scaled.jpg

• Check marks for enabled settings
    • You can now show a check mark on enabled settings so you can easily see that they're turned on.

Voice Command (Preview): U.S. and U.K. limited release

• We're also testing a feature that enables voice commands for finding and opening games, apps, and settings, as well as controlling media playback on the PS5 console.
  • This feature is currently available in English for beta participants with accounts registered to the U.S. and U.K.
  • To get started, enable Voice Command (Preview) from the Settings menu. Then, call out "Hey, PlayStation!" and ask your PS5 console to find a game, open an app or setting, or control playback while enjoying a movie, TV show or song.
ec42746ff85b083dacfef5fe091e118f165bebfd.png

• You can help us improve the feature through our feedback program, which will sometimes record your voice commands (in accordance with our Privacy Policy) and let you provide instant feedback from time to time. You can turn this feature off at any time within system settings (see above). This feature never records audio for child accounts.
  • We're in an early testing phase for this feature and will be closely assessing it and listening to your feedback throughout the beta. For more details, check out this page.

blog.playstation.com

New PS5 and PS4 System Software Betas Roll Out Tomorrow

PS5 beta includes new UI enhancements, party chat options and accessibility features.

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
No folders? I sleep. How are we over a year out, and such a basic function still isn't in? I really can't stand the PS5 UI. In terms of design, the PS4's was much better in every way, it just ran poorly.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
  • Keep in Home
    • You can now keep the games or apps you choose on your home screen by selecting "Keep in Home" with the (options) button.
    • You can keep a maximum of five games and apps on each home screen with this feature.
Finally.

PianoBlack

May 24, 2018
United States
  • Keep in Home
Oh thank God.
Noooooooo

• Increased apps on the home screen
    • You can now have a total of 14 games and apps appear on your home screen.
...ok.

pyxl_8

Oct 27, 2017
Last beta they stealth dropped a few good features so let's hope VRR makes it.

I'm glad of having the home menu increased and with pins now but I hope they don't leave it at just 5.

tiza blanca

May 9, 2020
Mono audio for headphones
  • You can now enable mono audio for headphones so the same audio is played from both the left and right headphones, instead of a stereo or 3D audio sound mix. This feature provides an added option to enhance the PS5 audio experience, particularly for players with unilateral hearing loss.**

FINALLY
THANK YOU SONY

Ogawa-san

Nov 1, 2017
Keeping items in home is neat, but how about an option to keep things OUT of it, like that stupid ad feed (aka. "Explore")?

No, I don't care about CoD and I don't want to buy Uncharted tickets, fuck off already.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Ok Sony, I'll test some more beta software.

The extra games on the home screen and picking which ones to keep is cool.

the-pi-guy

Oct 29, 2017
Keep on home is a good add I think.

Hopefully VRR makes it in, maybe that'll be a bigger announcement that they didn't want to give away. (I shouldn't be hopeful, especially when it hasn't hit all of their TVs yet.)

SP.

Oct 27, 2017
still not adding a way to get to the trophy list without going back to the dashboard is insane

also "Keep in home" feels like a real...hacky way to get around the problem of that interface.

WhtR88t

May 14, 2018
Looking forward to the voice commands– especially for navigating to games not on my home screen or some setting that buried somewhere.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
About time they gave us open parties back after taking it away before PS5 came out.

Vertpin

Oct 27, 2017
So, when are they going to let us have voice chat come out of the TV? I hate that voice chat comes out of the tiny speaker from the controller.

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
Keeping items in home is neat, but how about an option to keep things OUT of it, like that stupid ad feed (aka. "Explore")?

No, I don't care about CoD and I don't want to buy Uncharted tickets, fuck off already.
I hate that they replaced PS4's "What's New" with PS5's "Explore". I preferred seeing what games my friends were playing, what trophies they had earned recently.

May 31, 2021
Open and Closed Parties (PS5 and PS4 betas)
  • When you start a party, you can now select either an open party or a closed party:
    • An open party lets your friends see and join the party without an invite. Friends of party members can also join.
    • A closed party is only for players you invite.
OMG this is big for me. I never understood why they changed it in the first place but I'm so happy its back.

ThereAre4Lights

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
There's still that annoying issue where you sort trophies, and then they un-sort themselves after you reboot. PS3 and PS4 kept the sorting through reboots.

nolifebr

Banned
Sep 1, 2018
Curitiba/BR
Doesn't seem to be that much to be honest (although there's some nice changes). These PlayStation updates must be done by a really small team.

Oct 27, 2017
Interested by the trophy UI. What does that mean?

I find it inexplicably annoying that PS4 and PS5 game icons are displayed with a different icon size. First world problems I know, but still..

Jan 27, 2020
Washington, DC
Expanded home screen is great. This means I can have more games on the auto-update track.

Be curious to see what the trophy UI changes are. I find it a bit of a nightmare to navigate currently.

Desma

Oct 27, 2017
Huh, literally had a dream today where I was asking sony why there wasn't any firmware updates in a while

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
No 1440p and no VRR.

Personally hoping for a fix for the install issue I've had, but it wouldn't be noted in that blog post.

Hopefully game base opens to friends instead of group chats or whatever it is. I want to know who is on, I don't care about group chats.

donpureevil

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Nothing of that interests me.
All i want:
- Hold the PS Button for shutdown
- R1 shortcut to library
- remember my trophysorting
- invert the mic mute light setting

Ashes of Dreams

Unshakable Resolve
May 22, 2020
The PS5 UI is honestly really bad. I'd rather a ground up rework but I guess some basic features PS4 had years ago being treated like new (open parties, voice commands, etc.) also work?