• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MauroNL

What Are Ya' Buying?
Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands

"New details on the next Bioshock game developed by the new studio Cloud Chamber Studios. Several job listings point to experience in Unreal Engine 4, one job list says "we use UE4". It is also slated for 'next-gen', which is no surprise with it being 'several years away'. Several job listings ask: "we want you to help us breathe life into a new and fantastical world.", which suggests the game having a new setting and not a return to Rapture or Columbia. "Together, we will set the stage for a stunning narrative and systems-driven experience." Cinematic Artist job listings asks for: "Wes Anderson like precision and panache in your camera positioning and movements" and "Create and implement systemic, in-game, scripted cinematic sequences". Combat job listings: "Develop an FPS combat paradigm that is accessible, satisfying, and allows for a high degree of player expression and experimentation within a highly reactive world. Look beyond direct conflict, accommodate various play-styles and design encounters that can be resolved through player ingenuity. Design and create systemic world moments, bespoke quests that breathe life into the levels of the game. Combine hand-crafted set-pieces and systemic interactions to create a "living" world that offers players variety at every step of the game.
boards.greenhouse.io

Cloud Chamber

Decided to scan through the various job listings at the newly formed Cloud Chamber Studios, which is making the new Bioshock game. Found some new details on the next Bioshock game which is still several years away, as was mentioned by 2K in December 2019. It may not be much, but at least we have some new stuff to discuss!

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
Cinematic Artist job listings asks for: "Wes Anderson like precision and panache in your camera positioning and movements"
Amazing.
giphy.gif

OP
OP
MauroNL

MauroNL

What Are Ya' Buying?
Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
Oct 27, 2017
That bit about Wes Anderson is scary. Whether you like his films or not, the one thing I think everyone agrees is that there's nothing more insufferable than a director that tries to imitate his style!

Still 'looking beyond direct conflict' sounds like the right approach for the game. As neat as Bioshock was, it always felt more like a well-executed shooting gallery than a true immersive sim.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Not being a reboot/set in Rapture is a good thing, either of those would be the safest and most boring choices they could make

Lukemia SL

Jan 30, 2018
Several years away, I bet they unveil it with a CGI trailer. Just because everybody loves when anticipated games are unveiled that way.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Several years away, I bet they unveil it with a CGI trailer. Just because everybody loves when anticipated games are unveiled that way.
To be honest, the main thing with a new Bioshock is the setting and you can give a great overview of that with a CGI trailer, so it's not the biggest deal.

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
It's cool to see folks like Shawn Elliot progress through the industry, what a fun journey. Excited for these folks.

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
To be honest, the main thing with a new Bioshock is the setting and you can give a great overview of that with a CGI trailer, so it's not the biggest deal.
Yep. Setting, what sorts of enemies we'll be fighting, what sorts of Plasmids / Vigors we could expect this time around, and just the politics of it all. You can showcase all of that in a well-made CGI trailer, so it wouldn't be the worst thing.

Oct 27, 2017
Columbus, OH
That bit about Wes Anderson is scary. Whether you like his films or not, the one thing I think everyone agrees is that there's nothing more insufferable than a director that tries to imitate his style!

Still 'looking beyond direct conflict' sounds like the right approach for the game. As neat as Bioshock was, it always felt more like a well-executed shooting gallery than a true immersive sim.

It's pretty common for art job listings to really overshoot what they're looking for in terms of experience. I wouldn't be surprised if whoever put this listing together just sees Anderson as peak-cinematography/staging and grabbed his name as an example rather than that they're looking for his specific style.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
It wasn't.

This is a new studio recently opened to work on Bioshock.
When Infinite shipped, Irrational Games closed its doors and Levine and 15 other devs opened Ghost Story Games under Take-Two.
Iirc, Jason reported on the studio like a good 2 years ago or so before they officially announced opening it. They've been at it a while, and maybe rebooted.

EDIT: Yeah...

shoptroll

May 29, 2018
Now to see if the whole "there's always a lighthouse" line sticks.

As neat as Bioshock was, it always felt more like a well-executed shooting gallery than a true immersive sim.

Agreed. I played the original Deus Ex for the first time after playing BioShock and the difference was night & day. Granted, I think BioShock was trying to provide a more "mainstream" experience so I think that was a very conscious decision on Irrational's part. And Infinite doubled-down on that to its detriment.

Ojli

Chicken Chaser
Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
As long as I can eat potato chips as soon as find it in a garbage can, this will be good for me

VPplaya

Nov 20, 2018
Honestly, I don't care what direction they take the series in so long as it is better and more coherent than Infinite. They can take as much time as they need.

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
I'm excited for a new Bioshock

e5c5c1bf995ef8f1eb446996426e59b0.jpg
Really hope they throw away this lousy motif and just do whatever they want, with no connection to Infinite whatsoever. I don't think they needed to create these connections. It didn't help the story of Infinite, and it certainly didn't help the original BioShock.

M0d3_M

Jun 29, 2020
Looking forward to this , what could be a possible new location be do we think? A mining/underground community?

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
As long as I can eat potato chips as soon as find it in a garbage can, this will be good for me

A mysterious world where potato chips are so common people throw them away in full bags, yet so rare and starving people eating potato chips from the garbarge.

Must be so fun working on these things for years and years as your own secret project or secret team and then revealing it to the public.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
Really hope they throw away this lousy motif and just do whatever they want, with no connection to Infinite whatsoever. I don't think they needed to create these connections. It didn't help the story of Infinite, and it certainly didn't help the original BioShock.

Same. Infinite had some good parts but for the most part the story was not one of those.

Rover_

Jun 2, 2020
getting immersive sim vibez 0.0

and please, please let go of the multiverse and connections shit from Infinite, that game is best left buried.