• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 25448

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
According to 2K's announcement, the next BioShock will be in development "for the next several years." 2K has not officially announced any platforms nor targeted release date for this new BioShock. "

"Speaking to IGN over email, Gilmore said the team is at "the earlier end of our process" when asked how far along development on the new BioShock is. Gilmore also declined to say whether this new BioShock would function as a direct sequel in the series or as a reboot, instead only calling the project "the next iteration in the BioShock franchise." Gilmore also declined to comment on whether the new BioShock would introduce a new cityscape as its setting or feature returns to Rapture or Columbia, saying "We...hope that fans love our future plans for this environment. That said, it'll be a bit of a wait for more details, as the game will be in development for several years."

"When asked whether this new BioShock could include live-service elements, especially in light of speculation about 2K investing in live-service gaming in new Novato-area job listings, Gilmore neither confirmed nor denied they might be added. "

https://uk.ign.com/articles/2019/12/09/new-bioshock-game-confirmed-being-developed-by-new-developer-cloud-chamber

Last edited:

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The title doesn't appear to reflect the news.

Edit: hey, now that's a great improvement.

Last edited:

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Press release: https://ir.take2games.com/news-rele...ping-next?field_nir_news_date_value[min]=2019
NEW YORK--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Dec. 9, 2019-- 2K today announced the founding of Cloud Chamber™, the newest, wholly owned game development studio under the Company's publishing label. A collective of storytellers eager to push the frontlines of interactive entertainment by making unique, entertaining and thoughtful experiences that engage the world, Cloud Chamber will build its team at two locations: 2K's San Francisco Bay Area headquarters in Novato, Calif., as well as in Montréal, Québec, which marks the first-ever Canadian office for a 2K studio. In addition, 2K announced that Cloud Chamber has started to work on the next iteration of the globally acclaimed BioShock® franchise, which will be in development for the next several years.

Pedro

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
" Cloud Chamber has started to work on the next iteration of the globally acclaimed BioShock® franchise, which will be in development for the next several years. "

Nowhere is it said that's Bioshock 3 (I mean specifically that title, "Bioshock 3").

Ringten

Nov 15, 2017
Uhm have they not been saying this for a while though?
still at the early stages lol, sounds like they haven't started yet. Oh boy....

Cyberia

Nov 8, 2017
How important was it to bring back many of those involved in the original creation of the BioShock series for the development of this next iteration?

Gilmore: We're excited to have some BioShock DNA in our roots. Several members of our team played key roles in other BioShock titles and are now leading development at Cloud Chamber, including Hoagy de la Plante (Creative Director), Scott Sinclair (Art Director) and Jonathan Pelling (Design Director).

Our team also has game development veterans from high profile franchises like Call of Duty, Assassin's Creed, Star Wars, Battlefield and Walking Dead. As part of our recruiting efforts, we're looking for people from many different backgrounds and experiences. I'm confident that the depth and variety of game development experience at Cloud Chamber will lead to another unforgettable BioShock experience.

Have you considered consulting Ghost Story Games, and particularly Ken Levine, to assist in the formulation of this new story?

Gilmore: Ken and his team at Ghost Story Games are fully engaged in developing a new experience that will surely be another incredible game for all of us to enjoy. He is not affiliated with Cloud Chamber or the development of our BioShock title.

Abuguet

Apr 23, 2019
More like "Another Bioshock confirmed to be in the works". Because it could be a sort of spin off, alternate story or another failed utopia; something like Bioshock Infinite. If it's confirmed to be Bioshock 3, I expect the game to be in Rapture.

EDIT: OK, seems like the mods changed the title and now my post makes no sense. 🤷‍♂️

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder how many times that new Bioshock game has started and stopped at 2k the last 6 years.

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
Eeeeeeeeehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhh not sure this is necessary? I don't exactly have the fondest opinions of the franchise though, so it's probably just me. And I say this as someone who otherwise really liked Infinite. I just feel the series is so well and truly done that there's not really anything left to do with it, and as an emergent sim franchise BioShock has ever done anything that System Shock (of which we're getting a remake and sequel) and literally the entirety of Arkane's recent output has done far, far better.

I'll be more interested if they can bring something new and fresh to the table, and not just go "hey it's Rapture 3.0 wowser also here's a big daddy cameo".

Sacul64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
3. Infinite was the 3rd game in the series yes but it's not Bioshock 3. Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood is the 3rd game in that series but it's not 3. See where I'm getting at?

Yeah but I would argue that a new Bioshock would keep to subtitles and no numbers making it ok to call infinite 3.

Oct 27, 2017
I'd have been all over it a few years back, but after Infinity I'm cautious. Really didn't like Infinite, the setting did nothing for me, the gameplay was tedious and in terms of lore and environment it didn't hang together at all. At least Rapture and the plasmids made sense thematically and it was a beautifully creepy environment.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
After Infinite my expectations are incredibly low.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Oof, that 4 years waiting on a game that you know of is hard. I thought the 2018 rumours said the studio started development late 2017. Another 4 years would mean six years of development.
Somehow completely forgot that, but even then the press release still says they're building the development teams so I'm not sure if it's been in full development or just prototyping since then.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
wasn't Bioshock already in the works from one of their other studios? what happened to it?

Oct 25, 2017
What happened to the Bioshock game Schreier said ex-Hangar 13 devs were making back early last year? Maybe this has been in the works for a while?

hank_tree

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Does this mean the already in development Bioshock game is cancelled?

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This announcement should have happened 4 years ago TBH.

I'm still excited of course.

Nov 8, 2017
I'm actually stunned that it wasn't Levin's studio spearheading this. Mainly shocking that 2k is interested in other immersive sims, it's not like that's some hot genre.