• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

LukeOP

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There is no way to secede from the union and I doubt California has a procedure in their constitution that allows it to break into parts.

Oct 27, 2017
There is no way to secede from the union and I doubt California has a procedure in their constitution that allows it to break into parts.
Oh boy, you would Calatonia-ize the situation?

Secession is not something that can be prohibited. It's a social right to stop relations.

Similar to Calatonia, people have a voice, and you cannot, cannot, tell someone they can't secede.

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017
California is rated 48th or 50th from a "business climate" standpoint? Is that accurate? That doesn't seem accurate.

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
Instead of people attacking this, should we acknowledge that it is indeed possible for a new state to be created in our country?

The question is, what becomes a recognized state first, New California, or Puerto Rico

It's not that people think it's impossible, but that it seems like a huge waste of resources, isn't it?

Moppy

Oct 27, 2017
Sweeeeeeeeet.

Having lived in Northern California my whole life, I've had to hear about the "State of Jefferson" from angry conservative people since the beginning of time, and unsurprisingly, a lot of those people are fuuuuucking nuts. This just seems like that idea, expanded out to the rest of the not-majority-liberal areas? Can't wait to hear about this until I'm dead.

TIME FOR NEW BUMPER STICKERS, BOYS. THE MILITIA RIDES TONIGHT.

Deleted member 8860

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Oh boy, you would Calatonia-ize the situation?

Secession is not something that can be prohibited. It's a social right to stop relations.

Similar to Calatonia, people have a voice, and you cannot, cannot, tell someone they can't secede.

If you think even a quarter of the population of these parts of the state wants to secede, you'd be overestimating the situation. Not to mention the parts that would make up "New California" are absolutely dependent on "Old" California for tax revenue.

Oct 25, 2017
The democrats would never allow it anyways, would give the GOP two more seats.

Actually, that would be a hilarious deal. GOP allows Peurto Rico in, as long as they got a split California. No way for them to squirm out without looking like tools in the process.

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
Ah, someone looked at the Catalonia guys and took notes.

They just took the wrong ones.

LukeOP

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The US constitution does have a topic on this matter. The semi colons and commas are throwing me off but it seems like new states can't be formed within an existing state. I can also read it in how it allows new states to be made up of other states. Anyone want to weigh in on the correct interpretation?

https://www.law.cornell.edu/constitution/articleiv

New states may be admitted by the Congress into this union; but no new states shall be formed or erected within the jurisdiction of any other state; nor any state be formed by the junction of two or more states, or parts of states, without the consent of the legislatures of the states concerned as well as of the Congress.

The Congress shall have power to dispose of and make all needful rules and regulations respecting the territory or other property belonging to the United States; and nothing in this Constitution shall be so construed as to prejudice any claims of the United States, or of any particular state.

Last edited:

corasaur

Oct 26, 2017
the hell at that split? are they hoping that san diego would provide all the tax revenue to subsidize the trillion acres of rural?

THRILLHO

Nov 6, 2017
Who do they think is going to subsidize all the inland farmland?

e: I know SD is pretty conservative but I bet they also don't want to support all the fly-over counties, SD should be in Old California, if only so my wife and I can move back and still be in the 'good' California. Otherwise it's Santa Barbara

LukeOP

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Then you understand we didn't fight a war over the right to partition an existing State.

nbd, they'll just increase the price of almonds, avocados, and citrus by a factor of ten.

I suggest you go back and reread my posts, what I was replying to, and see how your responses are redundant.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Yawn. Seen these cretins try this crap time and again over the course of my life.

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I suggest you go back and reread my posts, what I was replying to, and see how your responses are redundant.

Missed a post. My apologies.

That said, based on previous attempts to partition the State, it doesn't seem like there's any constitutional restriction. The ballot just has to pass through all houses of the state legislature.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Only time I can think of off the top of my head that an existing state (as opposed to a territory) was divided into two states was Virginia and West Virginia, and that was more WV seceding from the Confederacy to rejoin the Union, iirc. So still not splitting a state, per se.

I don't think this flies barring some wacky California referendum boondoggle which I'm 99% sure wouldn't pass, or some existing provision in the state's constitution which I'm 99% sure doesn't exist.

LukeOP

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Missed a post. My apologies.

That said, based on previous attempts to partition the State, it doesn't seem like there's any constitutional restriction. The ballot just has to pass through all houses of the state legislature.

It's not a problem.

Yea, that seems to be the case. But they also need approval the US congress.

If the state does decide to split, but the federal government doesn't recognize it, they'll be in some weird inbetween state existing outside of the union which is technically not allowed.

I guess they become a territory like Puerto Rico and lose all representation at the federal level.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
NewCal for sure. Americans irrationally hate brown people.
New Cal would require the consent of both California state and federal legislatures if I'm understanding this correctly, which makes it pretty much impossible when it's comprised pretty much entirely of the super rural areas where few people actually live since that means they don't get enough representation in the state government (this is also a big part of why these people want this to happen in the first place)