• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ecnal

Oct 27, 2017
Looking at mayors and city councils is not really a good measure since they are not adjusted for population. A city with 20x the population of another city has the same number of mayors.

Sending 1 more Republican to the CA assembly than Democrats is not evidence that the county is dominated by Republicans, especially when they don't send more Republicans to the CA Senate. How does that show that SD county is only purple from a National/Federal perspective?

My point is that San Diegans overwhelmingly elect Republicans at a local level that far exceeds the rate at which they elect Democrats. I understand many of the examples I listed are not adjusted for population. However, the poster I quoted claimed that SD county is now "liberal." And, when you look at all of the publicly elected officials that serve SD county, it's incredibly hard to substantiate that argument.

The county board of supervisors, which is voted on via 5 districts within the county, doesn't have a single Democratic member, nor has it ever had a Democrat serve as chair in its entire history. The most Democratic leaning district(s) in the county didn't send a Democrat -- even the district that includes SD city (1.4M people), which the poster I quoted claimed was "liberal."

In regards to the CA legislature, I was only pointing out that it's a little strange for a liberal county to be sending more Republicans to Sacramento than not. There are counties in CA that sent no Republicans to the legislature, and, IMO, it would be accurate to label those counties as being liberal. But, again, SD county still sends more Republicans to the CA legislature than it does Democrats -- not a particular hallmark of a liberal county.

Again, my only point is that it's absurd to call SD county liberal. Yes, at a Federal/National level it's fairly safe to assume that SD county will lean blue (hence its purple designation). However, at a local level, voting trends have really only shifted from solid red to pink.

This also doesn't even consider more nuanced views of the actual politics in SD county. Republicans at the county level are substantially different than what many would assume of a typical Republican at the National/Federal level. And this is also true of Democrats. Moderate politics is still alive and well in SD county, and both parties represent that mindset.

numble

Oct 25, 2017
My point is that San Diegans overwhelmingly elect Republicans at a local level that far exceeds the rate at which they elect Democrats. I understand many of the examples I listed are not adjusted for population. However, the poster I quoted claimed that SD county is now "liberal." And, when you look at all of the publicly elected officials that serve SD county, it's incredibly hard to substantiate that argument.

The county board of supervisors, which is voted on via 5 districts within the county, doesn't have a single Democratic member, nor has it ever had a Democrat serve as chair in its entire history. The most Democratic leaning district(s) in the county didn't send a Democrat -- even the district that includes SD city (1.4M people), which the poster I quoted claimed was "liberal."

In regards to the CA legislature, I was only pointing out that it's a little strange for a liberal county to be sending more Republicans to Sacramento than not. There are counties in CA that sent no Republicans to the legislature, and, IMO, it would be accurate to label those counties as being liberal. But, again, SD county still sends more Republicans to the CA legislature than it does Democrats -- not a particular hallmark of a liberal county.

Again, my only point is that it's absurd to call SD county liberal. Yes, at a Federal/National level it's fairly safe to assume that SD county will lean blue (hence its purple designation). However, at a local level, voting trends have really only shifted from solid red to pink.

This also doesn't even consider more nuanced views of the actual politics in SD county. Republicans at the county level are substantially different than what many would assume of a typical Republican at the National/Federal level. And this is also true of Democrats. Moderate politics is still alive and well in SD county, and both parties represent that mindset.
How is it only purple at the Federal/National level when at the state level, it sends 5 Democrats and 6 Republicans to the CA legislature -- not a particular hallmark of a conservative county.

Merriweather

Oct 29, 2017
I guess this is going to encourage people in rural Illinois to try and separate the rest of the state from Cook County.

ecnal

Oct 27, 2017
How is it only purple at the Federal/National level when at the state level, it sends 5 Democrats and 6 Republicans to the CA legislature -- not a particular hallmark of a conservative county.

I never claimed SD county was conservative. I'll make it as simple as possible for clarification purposes.

National/Federal level: Purple because we vote for a mix of Democrats and Republicans*
State/County/City level (aka local level): Pink because we vote for a majority of Republicans*

*Last ~10 years of voting

As I mentioned in the post you quoted, I would expect SD county to lean blue in the future at the National/Federal level. However, those same voting trends do not exist at the local level. If you want to segment out State level politics separate from local level politics, I think purple is an apt descriptor. However, segmenting out State level politics from the local level would make the County/City level politics more red in return:

National/Federal level: Purple because we vote for a mix of Democrats and Republicans
State level: Likely purple because we vote for a mix of Democrats and Republicans (trends are less clear here due to district changes)
County/City level (aka local level): Red because we vote for a solid majority of Republicans

Caldorosso

Jan 15, 2018
I had no idea about this.

Sounds like California would only lose a few electoral votes, 90% of the people live in the cities that don't want to be in the new state.

Maybe it should be called "North East South California", or the NESCali.

Totally not a new Nintendo system.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
This sounds like the dumb shit that California would try tbh

The people doing this are not the people you're poorly attempting to mock for being Californians. They're basically Trump-voting idiots who don't want to be associated with those durn libruls anymore. And have been duped by Russian bots and plants into attempting something incredibly stupid that will inevitably fail.

BBboy20

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't aware Jefferson wasn't the only game in town.

cr=w:800,h:500,a:cc

Off topic but: Shasta is mostly Democratic?