• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

stryke

Oct 28, 2017
Teardown by TronicsFix demonstrate the new coloured Dualsenses have thicker springs, going from 0.25mm in the old controllers to 0.3mm.

unknown.png

There's also a change to the analogue sticks, but it's unclear whether it's inconsequential/cosmetic or anything to do with addressing stick drift.

unknown.png

The all green analogue sticks is in the latest models.

I would assume these changes will eventually make it's way to the white, black and red models (it's probably already happened) but how you'd distinguish it from the old models on the box I wouldn't know.

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Interesting. I wonder if any newly manufactured white default, red and black DualSenses will also have those changes?

smcc94x

Jul 13, 2021
Absolutely necessary. The springs in the original dualsense are easily broken in my experience (despite being gentle with my controllers).

Dec 6, 2017
US
Absolutely necessary. The springs in the original dualsense are easily broken in my experience (despite being gentle with my controllers).

Springs in both triggers broke for me within...four months? After a year I had massive stick drift. Sony gladly replaced my controller last month, no questions asked, so that's cool but still. I baby my electronics as well, whenever I'm not actively using the controller it goes into a drawer etc.

I love the actual controller but the build quality is the worst out of any controller I've owned.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
But it's still the same shit-ass design they've been using since the PS3.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Oh really… 🤔

My springs have been ok so far but always a little nervous! Been after an Era purple one (I swore by my purple DualShock 4… a company man!) so might have to accelerate that purchase.

PepperedHam

Oct 27, 2017
Pennsylvania
Well my purple analog stick squeaks and grinds like a MFer after extended use so it sucks in that regard anyway. But glad to see they are tweaking things.

Glasfrut

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Will have to pick one up just in case then. I think one of mine has some stick drift but it's slight.

MZZ

Nov 2, 2017
I only got the purple one from new batch of colors and it does feel different in material from all the other ones as well. The stick material is definitely different and its not because my other ones are worn.

Unfortunately there is something wrong with the mold feeling like its not lined up properly

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
Did they fixed the "clicky" feel of the stick? I have that on the left stick, it's total trash, can't believe how an huge step back is compared to DS4 or Xbox One controllers. Right stick is decent but stick "grainy" compared to the other pads.

I'll just tolerate it since in games I played I mostly pushed it forward but playing a racing game is just dreadful.

No idea how ppl call it best controller ever with such low quality sticks.

th1nk

Nov 6, 2017
I think the R1 button on both of my white DualSense controllers is getting very mushy from playing Elden Ring, but I guess this will not help. 😔

Plasma

Oct 25, 2017
Had the spring go on one of my triggers for my first controller but my second one has been ok so far. Good to see they're making the build quality a bit better because they were taking the piss a bit charging so much for a controller and putting in springs that snap so easily.

Euler007

Jan 10, 2018
I was going to get the purple anyways, guess I will try to use it more than my other colors in my rotation.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
So my Black and Red ones don't have this? :(

Oh well, they're doing fine for now but I guess it's kinda reassuring that they'll be theoretically a bit sturdier if I find myself having to replace them.

AJUK

May 28, 2019
Damn just remembered I bought a purple one. I guess it can stay in the box for now.

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
So my Black and Red ones don't have this? :(

Oh well, they're doing fine for now but I guess it's kinda reassuring that they'll be theoretically a bit sturdier if I find myself having to replace them.
Probably newer produced ones have it, but if you bought them when they were released probably not.

However, I'd imagine that most people won't encounter the spring dying in the regular life cycle of their controllers.

Unaha-Closp

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
My launch Dualsense's left analogue stick has decided to input up even when in the neutral position. So Aloy now wants to really get in the face of everyone before I can click triangle or V goes walking down an alley on her own. Worst is in the floating marker all games have these days, oh there it goes to the top of the screen on its own. I haven't even used it all that much. Nothing like you would expect before your controller starts breaking. So I guess I'm in the market for a new controller, pink it is. Maybe, I'll keep using this one until it drives me to distractions too often, ridiculous that it's broken with little use.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Probably newer produced ones have it, but if you bought them when they were released probably not.

However, I'd imagine that most people won't encounter the spring dying in the regular life cycle of their controllers.

Yeah, agreed, it's a distant worry in my mind. I did buy my red one right at its launch but actually didn't buy my black one until just before the new colors dropped.

When d you think the white ones will get it?

Obviously this is speculation and isn't trustworthy enough to make an informed purchase decision, but I'd imagine the entire Dualsense manufacturing process is using the new internals as its basis and this is actually a color-agnostic change in reality. It just so happens that it was discovered first with the new controllers, being that they are a new model and have attention right now.

That said, unless Sony has classified the internal changes with a slight tweak of the model number that consumers can use to identify the more newly-manufactured controllers (or we determine a reliable manufacturer date to go by), it's definitely not a guarantee that you ensure you're getting the most updated internals by just going to the store and buying off the shelf right now.

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018
My left stick's drifting on my first Dualsense and the x button is sticky on the second… hope they keep improving the build quality. It's a great controller when it's functional

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
oh lol

The triggers for the ds3 are different then the ds4 and the dualsense so I assumed you meant the stick positions

Actually they're really not. The same spring idea is used for the DS3, DS4 and Dualsense. Even with the feedback system in the dualsense it still uses the same spring design as the DS3. It is much less robust than Microsoft's solution(s) and it confuses me to this day why they continue to use it.

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Actually they're really not. The same spring idea is used for the DS3, DS4 and Dualsense. Even with the feedback system in the dualsense it still uses the same spring design as the DS3. It is much less robust than Microsoft's solution(s) and it confuses me to this day why they continue to use it.
I meant the triggers buttons themselves not the springs. May bad I read posts differently.

LastNac

Oct 30, 2017
Yeah, agreed, it's a distant worry in my mind. I did buy my red one right at its launch but actually didn't buy my black one until just before the new colors dropped.

Obviously this is speculation and isn't trustworthy enough to make an informed purchase decision, but I'd imagine the entire Dualsense manufacturing process is using the new internals as its basis and this is actually a color-agnostic change in reality. It just so happens that it was discovered first with the new controllers, being that they are a new model and have attention right now.

That said, unless Sony has classified the internal changes with a slight tweak of the model number that consumers can use to identify the more newly-manufactured controllers (or we determine a reliable manufacturer date to go by), it's definitely not a guarantee that you ensure you're getting the most updated internals by just going to the store and buying off the shelf right now.
You'd be surprised by how a small adjustment can change things.

KingK

Oct 27, 2017
Oh, nice. A spring broke on my original controller from launch. It was still in the 1 year warranty so I got a free replacement at least.

I have a second controller that's been fine for a year and a half now at least.

But my gf wanted to get the blue one, so this is good to know.

BranCrackr

Oct 4, 2019
My launch day controller is still going strong, but glad to hear this before considering a 2nd one.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
I watched the vid and went to a store yesterday to grab a purple one. Now I have 4 DualSense controllers and 4 Series X controllers lol, I gotta stop buying them.
I did get a pack of springs a few months ago because one broke on the controller that came with my PS5, so if it happens again at least I'll have some replacement parts. Wish I hadn't bought a black DualSense until it was confirmed that they have improved the springs on those too :/

Jacknapes

Oct 26, 2017
Newport, South Wales
Nice to know they've upgraded the springs.

My original DualSense's spring broke in the right trigger whilst playing Valhalla around the holidays 2020. Had it repaired and a replacement sent out. It's still in the box it came back in, i've been using the spare one i bought at launch since with no issues. Haptics are off, however i'm thinking of using them again for GT7.

Bold One

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Did they fix the stick drift?

My blue dualsense has a squishy square button. And it's only 2 weeks old.

The new controllers build quality is shocking.

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
How long until these pop up as replaceable parts to buy? Nothing has happened to my triggers yet, but I'd happily buy a pack for $5 and replace them to be safe.

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
Lol wat

I'm talking about the feeble spring design they use on their triggers.

Did the DS3 and 4 have trigger failure rates at the level of the Dualsense? It at least seems like the Dualsense is a lot more sensitive to it. I know most of the DS3 I saw with issues tended to be other things.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Did the DS3 and 4 have trigger failure rates at the level of the Dualsense? It at least seems like the Dualsense is a lot more sensitive to it. I know most of the DS3 I saw with issues tended to be other things.
Well personally I have two DS3 controllers with broken trigger springs. I guess one is technically a sixaxis.

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
Well personally I have two DS3 controllers with broken trigger springs. I guess one is technically a sixaxis.

Yeah, my sixaxis broke but it was the face buttons. I ended up with a DS3, which was made in Japan instead, and it lasted about a decade. But I heard they shifted back to made in China with DS3 and the quality suffered. And DS4 and Dualsense are all made in China.

DarrenM

Oct 28, 2017
My controller has been fine since launch, but the triggers are always something I worry about, especially now I'm out of warranty.

I've read it's an easy enough fix, but it's not something that should be needed. I've never had to repair a controller on any of my consoles. Out of curiosity, how much does Sony charge to repair broken triggers on the Dual Sense?

mrmickfran

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Gongaga
Idk if it's because I'm already super used to my launch Dualsense but I got a purple one like 2 weeks ago and it feels quite different.