• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Greg NYC3

Oct 26, 2017
Miami
I saw the video last year of the one unit owner demonstrating how tennis balls can just roll from one end of the apartment to the other and that was enough for me to nope out.

Shouldn't the state or federal government step in and just force some kind of resolution before the obvious happens?

machine

Oct 25, 2017
HOA fees for a condo pay for a lot including things like garbage removal, water, building insurance and maintenance, maintenance for shared areas (lobby, elevators, etc), and administrative costs (includes legal fees!). Under the circumstances, maintenance and insurance costs are probably skyrocketing and everyone has to pay their share of legal fees in the ongoing legal battles which are probably very high.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Trash pick up, vacuum/cleaning the hallways, enforcing rules, and probably weekly thrown gatherings like wine on Tuesday nights, BBQs, etc.
I would think maintenance fees would cover the majority of that, no?

Seems like they're double dipping here.

I looked into condos here in NYC, in the boroughs not Manhattan which is nuts, and maintenance fees covered what you mentioned. This is an HOA on top of that?

Greg NYC3

Oct 26, 2017
Miami
I would think maintenance fees would cover the majority of that, no?

Seems like they're double dipping here.

I looked into condos here in NYC, in the boroughs, and maintenance fees covered what you mentioned. This is an HOA on top of that?
The HOAs are the maintenance fees. They must have different terms in different regions.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
City threatens to yellow-tag SF's sinking Millennium Tower if demands not met

San Francisco has given the managers of the sinking Millennium Tower until the end of the week to comply with a number of safety measures, as officials search for the reason a window on the high-rise's 36th floor cracked Sept. 2. Failure to meet the deadline could result in the tower being yellow-tagged, which could limit access to the building until it's deemed safe.

• Install an "overhead protection system" around the entire perimeter of the 58-story building to prevent glass or other debris from showering down on the sidewalk and street below. Deadline: no later than 3 p.m. Thursday.
• Repair a broken window-washing crane that will allow inspectors to evaluate the window from the outside. Deadline: 3 p.m. Friday.
• Survey all of the units of the building to determine if other windows have cracked or if additional damage has occurred to the building's facade. The city also wants Millennium to confirm that no other complaints of cracked windows have been filed by homeowners. Deadline: 3 p.m. Friday.

Failure to meet the deadlines, the department said, "will result in a yellow tag of the building, which will restrict and/or limit access to the building in order to protect public safety."

Deleted member 16365

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Fortunately, Dubai has the benefit of not being on a major earthquake fault line. SF is a catastrophe waiting to happen.

The NYT had a great piece outlining this earlier this year: https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2018/04/17/us/san-francisco-earthquake-seismic-gamble.html

I swear I read somewhere that LA is in worse shape though. At least the fault that runs under SF lets loose some pressure every once and a while, but the major one under DTLA hasn't had an event in decades. I'd be more worried about the big one hitting LA than SF.

http://scecinfo.usc.edu/news/98news/faultunderLA.html

Last edited:

signal

Oct 28, 2017
https://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea...ew-plan-to-stop-Millennium-Tower-13400218.php
All sides in the Millennium Tower debacle appear to be nearing an agreement on a $100 million-plus fix to stop the 58-story high-rise from sinking further — but at least part of the building's tilt will probably remain.
The latest plan calls for drilling piles into bedrock from the sidewalk on the building's southwest corner. The proposal would be less extensive and intrusive than the plan floated in April, which called for drilling as many as 300 micro-piles to bedrock through the building's concrete foundation.

The idea was to stabilize one side of the 58-story structure, then let the other side continue to sink until the building straightened itself. That plan, however, probably would have cost upward of $350 million — as much as it cost to build the tower in the first place.

The new plan by Ronald Hamburger, the structural engineer for the developer, is expected to be considerably less expensive and faster, and without as significant a disruption to the residents.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Inform the board that the structural engineer is here for the meeting.
Dr12g4g.jpg

Dr12g4g.jpg

Last edited:

Maximus

Oct 27, 2017
So sad and makes me angry to think people own homes here and their building is just slowly getting more unstable and dangerous. Would be probably impossible to sell at what they even paid for with the reputation of the building.

Benita

Banned
Aug 27, 2018
Although this whole situation has arisen from an engineering disaster, it's also fucking incredible that it can be fixed.

Stouffers

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They should've gone with the original more expensive plan. It would've been fun watching them continually over-correct until the building was only a couple stories tall.

Oct 27, 2017
I can't imagine how anyone can still sleep soundly at night living there. Even the idea of being in something that's has an imminent possibility of becoming structurally catastrophic would give me too much anxiety to function.