• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 19213

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Mechanically, it looks solid. The game looks pretty freaking boring, however. Solid mechanics with uninteresting gameplay, if that makes sense.

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
Zooming the buildings reminds me a lot Cities Skylines
sjfMtRW.jpg

I don't, I don't understand. You're not really comparing these two screenshots right?

Or are you saying that buildings look like, wait for it... Buildings?

ElNino

Nov 6, 2017
Mechanically, it looks solid. The game looks pretty freaking boring, however. Solid mechanics with uninteresting gameplay, if that makes sense.
That's definitely not how it plays.
Yeah, if there's one thing Crackdown is not... it's boring. The reason people love the first game so much is because it is very enjoyable to play. When everything you do increases your abilities, it is difficult to stop playing when you just want to search for one more orb or climb a bit higher in the tower or kill one more crime boss.

Look, many people bought the first game for the Halo beta, that's undeniable (I did too). But, they then fell in love with the game when they realized how much fun it was to play. Thankfully, it appears they have nailed the formula and given us another gem.

ForgedByGeeks

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
Woodinville, WA
If there is one thing Crackdown is, its addictive. As a few people have mentioned, its about the escalation, exploration, and sense of achievement.

You start out pretty weak and barely able to shoot, drive, jump, etc... Within just 10 - 15 minutes you will likely have collected enough Green Orbs to nearly double your jump height and have yourself running quite a bit faster.

If CD3 is anything like CD1, around this point you will start to run into Green and Hidden orbs you cannot currently reach. Try as you might, you just cannot jump high enough or far enough or off a high enough point to get to them, but the game will make it so close to being possible it almost hurts. So this drives you as a player to go look for more orbs, all the while building your other skills through kills, driving, etc...

After 15 - 30 minutes of more hunting, you will now be able to jump and run that much faster, so you go back, and discover you can now reach that orb that was previously just out of your reach. This is where the sense of accomplishment, growth, and achievement comes in. It is also an exciting way to provide feedback to the player that they are truly getting better and better with each and every orb they collect.

This is like Bungie's old "15 seconds of fun". In other words, you now have a repeatable, fun and exciting, gameplay loop that continues for hours and hours. As you keep going around, you keep seeing more orbs and thinking "Ohh, I will just get one more orb and then go to bed/work/etc...". You are constantly receiving positive reinforcement for your activities which keeps you playing for good reasons, unlike a lot of current F2P games.

Dynamite Cop

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California
Can't believe people are trying so hard to hate on this game. Yeah, it's late and looks a little different, but Crackdown was always about the gameplay.

Either way, looking forward to playing this on my pc via Game Pass with max settings.

Ardiloso

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
Can someone tell me if it's forbidden a game to not have incredible top notch graphics?
I may have missed something because tons of games are released with ok graphics and I did not see complaints (from people who will not play) in every thread.

klaus

Oct 28, 2017
Really love how much energy people not interested in the game put into trying to convince people interested in the game of it being bad.

The only reason I see is insecurity, but I might be missing something and apologize if that is the case.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Honestly, I understand the issue here. The trailers for Crackdown 3 have looked terrible, the Wrecking Zone mode was hugely downgraded and it had a difficult development. If you haven't played it, and most people could not have yet, I would understand thinking it looks terrible. I actually kinda went into it expecting something similar just based on older media of the game but the final game is absolutely beautiful.

It's not a game you can really draw comparisons with. It's focused on bright colors, lighting (with real-time GI as well) and a huge sense of scale. You can't really look at it in the same way as other open world cities - the close-proximity stuff is very different. It's not focused on granular detail. It's more about abstract shapes. Structures are closer to something like Halo with ramps, platforms and the like stretching off in every direction. I actually had thought about it prior but this wound up being something I REALLY like - it makes the world extremely easy to read and fun to explore.

I think people should give it a chance, basically, and see it running live.

Infamous 2 looked better in every way besides the lower resolution.
The physics seem off the most though, very floaty, no weight.
I honestly can't tell if this is a troll just wind people up or you really believe that. It's genuinely confusing.

Last edited:

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
The running and strafing animations bother the hell out of me; like watching the flycam in FPS games after dying.

Oct 31, 2017
Looks really rough. Infamous:SS, roughly a PS4 launch game that released before Crackdown 3 was shown at E3 2014 basically puts it to shame IMO both graphically and from a gameplay perspective as well. I'm curious to find out what really happened during its development, must have been a nightmare.

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz
Honestly, I understand the issue here. The trailers for Crackdown 3 have looked terrible, the Wrecking Zone mode was hugely downgraded and it had a difficult development. If you haven't played it, and most people could not have yet, I would understand thinking it looks terrible. I actually kinda went into it expecting something similar just based on older media of the game but the final game is absolutely beautiful.

It's not a game you can really draw comparisons with. It's focused on bright colors, lighting (with real-time GI as well) and a huge sense of scale. You can't really look at it in the same way as other open world cities - the close-proximity stuff is very different. It's not focused on granular detail. It's more about abstract shapes. Structures are closer to something like Halo with ramps, platforms and the like stretching off in every direction. I actually had thought about it prior but this wound up being something I REALLY like - it makes the world extremely easy to read and fun to explore.

I think people should give it a chance, basically, and see it running live.

I honestly can't tell if this is a troll just wind people up or you really believe that. It's genuinely confusing.

Thanks for this. I admit I initially stated the game looked dated and made some comparisons to launch titles. But the more I looked at gameplay and saw someone, I think in this thread, zoom in on a screenshot, I realized I needed to actually see the game on my TV to do to justice. And I'll be honest having played Wrecking Zone, I think this game is gonna look absolutely awesome.

John Rabbit

Oct 25, 2017
It couldn't be more obvious that this game has been in development for over 5 years. Gameplay looks unchanged (and unimproved) from the original. Does nobody live in this city?

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
One of these is a screenshot from the first game, the other is a screenshot I took of Crackdown 3, a AAA first party open world game releasing in 2019 on ultra settings on my PC.

[mod edit - removed]
What kind of goal post comparison is this lol?

Here is a proper screenshot comparison with a similar viewpoint instead of looking at a car and two ground textures:

cd3-111jjma.jpg

[mod edit - removed]

Last edited by a moderator:

elzeus

Oct 30, 2017
One of these is a screenshot from the first game, the other is a screenshot I took of Crackdown 3, a AAA first party open world game releasing in 2019 on ultra settings on my PC.
Looks good, if you notice the small details in the far away buildings over the wall that would all be a blurry mess Crackdown 1. Why wouldn't you take a picture up on top of a building to compare it better? Also Is your Crackdown 1 screenshot running on a xb1x because it didn't look that clean in 2007.

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
You're right, I should have posted it with a picture of a car up close in Crackdown 1 which might actually look better than the Crackdown 3 one. The only thing graphically Crackdown 3 has going for it is more neon lighting.
Apparently that's not at all what people say who simply know better (Digital Foundry), but you are entitled to your opinion of course. Factually your statement (obviously ...) is wrong of course though.

ForgedByGeeks

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
Woodinville, WA
[mod edit - removed]

The more things change, the more they stay the same...

I am getting flashbacks to the days when people posted screenshots of the grass in Elder Scrolls to claim that the Xbox360 couldn't do good graphics. Seriously what is the point of intentionally posting 2 screenshots that are obviously not comparable or representative.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I wouldn't say Crackdown 1 looks much worse, which isn't a compliment.

crackdown_carlift.jpg

[mod edit - removed]
I think you're waaayyyy off base but hey.

Also, are you using a review code? We're not allowed to post shots yet, it turns out. I'd post some counter shots if I could.

Monodrone

Nov 1, 2017
One is in sunlight, the other is in the shade.....

One is a gif sized image, the other is full resolution.....

Just ignore him.

I am a huge fan of the first Crackdown and this game looks more or less exactly how i wanted a next-gen Crackdown to look. Keeping the artstyle simple and clean while adding GI. One thing i am afraid of though, is the city being empty. Havent seen any gameplay with a lot of NPCs or cars on the screen.

Plasma

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think so. Here are focused in on just some of the low detail areas you can see for yourself:

hUjLKgb.png

x8XEu5X.png

uWE0WpZ.png

LXl9iN4.png

SQTtJF9.png

If that is the case, then I'm looking forward to seeing someone grab a shot that doesn't contain pop-in if that is what we're seeing here.
I can't tell if you're being serious, this is what every game looks like in the distance look up what LODs are.

These graphics comments always seem to ruin the Crackdown threads, I'm not saying it's the greatest looking game ever and you can probably compare it to a lot of games this generation that look better but it doesn't look bad by any stretch.

Shpeshal Nick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I don't think so. Here are focused in on just some of the low detail areas you can see for yourself:

hUjLKgb.png

x8XEu5X.png

uWE0WpZ.png

LXl9iN4.png

SQTtJF9.png

If that is the case, then I'm looking forward to seeing someone grab a shot that doesn't contain pop-in if that is what we're seeing here.

Are you actually being serious right now?

You can do that to a screenshot of literally almost any game (let alone an open world one) and zoom in to make it look like shit.

Sinfamy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You're kind of missing the point here. Crackdown is a superhero game where your characters ability to run fast, jump high and deal damage increase as you power up your character.
Real life physics have no place here.
Imagine how much fun Spiderman would be if gravity prevented you from running up walls or every time you web-sling into a building, rather than the game allowing you to do some unrealistic traversal chain, you just smashed a Spidey sized crater in the wall and fell down to the ground. Not fun.
you're blind pal

and it's not floaty. Honestly, controls wise, Crackdown 3 is one of the best open world games out there
Just look at how it lands with no weight, look at how it doesn't react at all to your explosions or shots, it doesn't stagger, it has no immersion.
It's just sad.

Explosions are pretty good - skip about 20 seconds into it.

Why did half the cars disappear?

Last edited:

Deleted member 20297

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The DF thread will be horrible. I predict a DF bias for Microsoft, lengthy discussions about art style and not knowing the difference between art style and tech, last gen comparisons and outright trolling from people who are neither interested in the game or in Xbox in general.

Bugalugs214

Banned
Nov 26, 2017
Been watching a lot of early streams, love the weapon variety and the particle effects.
Plays just like the first one so im staying up till it unlocks on the Australian store.

elzeus

Oct 30, 2017
The DF thread will be horrible. I predict a DF bias for Microsoft, lengthy discussions about art style and not knowing the difference between art style and tech, last gen comparisons and outright trolling from people who are neither interested in the game or in Xbox in general.
Will the people trolling delete there posts like in this thread?

DrBo42

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I get what people are trying to say about the buildings vs even a Cities:Skylines type of thing. Essentially people are trying to make the point the buildings are extremely simple. Minimalist low geo type of affairs. You're not getting the crazy rooftop details/props of Spider-Man PS4 with AC units, vents, or intricate window trim or fire escapes. That's more of an art direction choice more than anything. Crackdown has always been like that IIRC.

Edit: You also have to take into account the way the game functions. The more crap you throw onto buildings/things to get caught on the harder the platforming element becomes. It doesn't have a slick "Hold R2 to parkour" function to handle it.