• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Riderz1337

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Days Gone looking so good would love to see how big the map is and how varied.
excuse.jpg

monmagman

Dec 6, 2018
England,UK
I currently put anyone who opens a post with the word "Yikes"on my ignore list,I've decided I'm now adding everyone who uses the world "generic" to describe something without any further explanation,lol.I'm sick of it!

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, this is what you wrote
"Based on my experience" - is that not what I've said too? I've certainly not responded to every post in every thread.

I still dont know why offends someone by saying the graphics are nothing to be amazed at.
You say it like it's fact though, and pointlessly compare it to RDR2. I can't help but wonder why your bar is so high that a game needs over a thousand people to work on it before it can be impressive. In reality, the graphics of Days Gone are tremendous. Its world is beautifully detailed and realised. Environments are diverse. Animations are great... but okay.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
People conflate generic with cliche and nothing is wrong with cliche. The best things in media are usually ridden with cliches , but they are well written, performed and executed. Furthermore, anything new that is genuinely creative and good will itself become a cliche...because it's genuinely good. The Sopranos is packed with old cliches and created it's own. The likeable yet genuinely bad person, the bad marriage etc
Well said, and very true

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Does anyone expect more Days Gone footage in the near future? Or only the launch trailer?
well said.
and from someone complaining the whole thread about posts that add nothing to the discussion.
Big Days Gone fan mazi is finally here in the DG thread. All is good now.

Doom_Bringer

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
they need to show a cool mission or two imo. The one they showed a few e3's ago was rad! The one where the player lures the zombie hoard into an enemy camp by blowing up a dam

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
Something really horrible is gonna happen to them, isn't it?
I'm hoping it has an impactful opening like The Last of Us.

Explain the amounts of clicks on youtube, then.
The game is going to be a smash hit, and people are going to have to deal with that, lol.

That shot is also very nice imo :)

days-gone-wedding-site-screen-03-ps4-us-05feb19
The world looks beautiful.

and from someone complaining the whole thread about posts that add nothing to the discussion.
Shall we compare and tally up their comments in this thread vs. that poster they were responding to and see who added more to the discussion? It's weird how you're focusing in on a "LOL" comment which wasn't exactly their debut in this thread but a response to someone else's ridiculous follow up post. Dismissing a poster that continues to add nothing to the thread actually adds a lot to the thread.

they need to show a cool mission or two imo. The one they showed a few e3's ago was rad! The one where the player lures the zombie hoard into an enemy camp by blowing up a dam
I can't wait to discover these dynamic events myself to be honest. Other than one final story trailer, I've seen enough to cover me until release.

Deleted member 40133

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 19, 2018

Deleted member 40133

Banned
Feb 19, 2018
So on February 13th, who wants to be the sacrificial lamb that can let us know if it's spoilery or not? Lol

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Shall we compare and tally up their comments in this thread vs. that poster they were responding to and see who added more to the discussion? It's weird how you're focusing in on a "LOL" comment which wasn't exactly their debut in this thread but a response to someone else's ridiculous follow up post. Dismissing a poster that continues to add nothing to the thread actually adds a lot to the thread.
if you read his other posts itt, you'll notice that all he's doing is calling anything he disagrees with a shit post or a hot take, and constantly trying to backseat mod and say how "frustrating" or "maddening" it is that people get to have opinions that he doesn't agree with and then have the balls to post them on a discussion forum.
anyway, i can see where this is going so i'll just go back to reading and not posting, have fun.

Oct 27, 2017
Pretty sure Courtnee Draper (aka Elizabeth from Bioshock Infinite) is Sarah in Days Gone, if it hasn't been mentioned already.

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I will predict no matter how well they handle this, there are going to be complaints about fridging. Unfortunate but it does seem to be a common occurrence in Sony titles, from The Last of Us to God of War.

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
SOme of the lighting in this looks absolutely spectacular.
Are they just using stock UE4.x or did they inject some custom GI like Enlighten or something.

If UE4.x is at this level with its lighting now, im more sold on this tech than I was 13 months ago.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Still looks pretty bad visually compared to other Sony 1st party games.
Welp, too bad for you. Don't know what you have watched, but it looks incredible. Especially coming from a smaller-ish studio, compared to Sony's big ones.
Are they just using stock UE4.x or did they inject some custom GI like Enlighten or something.
It really does look amazing. It's a modified U4 engine :)

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

If UE4.x is at this level with its lighting now, im more sold on this tech than I was 13 months ago.
Supposedly they were using a heavily modified UE4 engine for the game. I can see that too with all the small "things" the engine shares with other Sony Studio games.

At first, I thought it was using Naughty Dogs tech so it is really cool what they pulled off with it.

nel e nel

Oct 27, 2017
I will predict no matter how well they handle this, there are going to be complaints about fridging. Unfortunate but it does seem to be a common occurrence in Sony titles, from The Last of Us to God of War.

Not just Sony titles, but games - and other media - in general. It's a worn out cliche that has been beat to death and hasn't had any spin worth talking about in a while.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Not just Sony titles, but games - and other media - in general. It's a worn out cliche that has been beat to death and hasn't had any spin worth talking about in a while.
John Wick takes it to knowingly absurd levels by having the dog reflect the memory of his wife. The underworld being slack-jawed at Wick coming after them because of a dog (aka the last meaningful memento of his wife) was a fun self-aware spin IMO

Oct 25, 2017

Unless we are looking at a different definition, GoW does not feature a fridging trope. TLoU is a strange case in that Sarah's death has an impact on the character, but not really the larger world or plot being pushed forward.

OP
OP
Loudninja

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017

Its looks really amazing considering the game is open world and has a ton of enemies on screen.

Funky_Monkey

Oct 31, 2017
One o

One of the directors is on the technical advisory panel for the Unreal Engine, so I'd imagine they have a pretty deep knowledge of the system to get the maximum out of it.

Deleted member 34618

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
Also, as ever, no one throwing 'GENERIC!' around in a Days Gone thread can ever satisfactorily articulate ways this apparent genericism could be improved.
Easy. Have the apocalypse caused by something other than a generic zombie outbreak. There are tons of other options for this that are more interesting from the somewhat realistic, such as climate change, energy conflict, nuclear war, global pandemic to fantasy/science fiction such as solar flares destroying all technology, alien invasion, extradimension rifts, lovecraftian creatures awakening, and so on. The most interesting drama in post apocalyptic( including zombie) scenarios is always the inter-personal conflict but if you must have non-human enemies most of the scenarios I threw out could easily accommodate them.

If you absolutely MUST have zombies and not some alternative there are still ways you could make the premise actually interesting like having the story take place centuries after the initial outbreak which would provide opportunities for having interesting, fleshed out post-collapse societies like Horizon Zero Dawn did.

Besides the premise there is also a lot they could have done to make the visual style at least look remotely interesting. The options here are too numerous to list but think of literally any game that doesn't just try to look photo-realistic and you have something more interesting than Days Gone.

This is just me spending less than 5 minutes throwing out random ideas. Someone who actually put in some time and effort could probably come up with dozens more that are far more interesting and less generic than what Days Gone is doing. I'm honestly struggling to think of anything on the horizon that isn't just another AAA franchise entry like Battlefield, FIFA or Call of Duty that looks less interesting than Days Gone.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Easy. Have the apocalypse caused by something other than a generic zombie outbreak. There are tons of other options for this that are more interesting from the somewhat realistic, such as climate change, energy conflict, nuclear war, global pandemic to fantasy/science fiction such as solar flares destroying all technology, alien invasion, extradimension rifts, lovecraftian creatures awakening, and so on. The most interesting drama in post apocalyptic( including zombie) scenarios is always the inter-personal conflict but if you must have non-human enemies most of the scenarios I threw out could easily accommodate them.

If you absolutely MUST have zombies and not some alternative there are still ways you could make the premise actually interesting like having the story take place centuries after the initial outbreak which would provide opportunities for having interesting, fleshed out post-collapse societies like Horizon Zero Dawn did.

Besides the premise there is also a lot they could have done to make the visual style at least look remotely interesting. The options here are too numerous to list but think of literally any game that doesn't just try to look photo-realistic and you have something more interesting than Days Gone.

This is just me spending less than 5 minutes throwing out random ideas. Someone who actually put in some time and effort could probably come up with dozens more that are far more interesting and less generic than what Days Gone is doing. I'm honestly struggling to think of anything on the horizon that isn't just another AAA franchise entry like Battlefield, FIFA or Call of Duty that looks less interesting than Days Gone.
They are already doing something that has never been done in gaming.

Zombies in this game are living beings, they sleep, create nests, cannibalize each other, need to drink and more. They have different classes that are stronger than each other which means the zombies "respect" the bigger classes. They are very similar to animals in that regard.

Give me another game that has something like this. I will wait.

CosmicSea

Alt account
Banned
Feb 5, 2019
If it's so common a critique as to be a meme, I'd say it's just how a lot of people view the game.

I'll wait until it's out for final judgement, but based on the E3 gameplay and the random media I've seen since, nothing jumps out at me as special.

What does this mean? Not every game NEEDS to do anything special, very few games actually do anything new.