• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

CosmicSea

Alt account
Banned
Feb 5, 2019
Not sure I follow...do you expect every game to do something "Special"? Not every game needs to re-invent the wheel.
.[/QUOTE] OK..how is it "Generic", compared to what exactly? What does Generic really mean? It really doesn;t mean anything its lazy criticism, it's low hanging fruit.

What AAA game to you is not generic?

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
You are reading deeper into my statement than intended. It was another way of saying everything I've seen thus far reflects my initial assessment that the game is generic. I apologize if it was not articulated well enough.

"this game is generic" What does that mean? Nothing's more "generic" than your take.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
And what exactly did you add to the thread?

The mods said this in the last thread:

If you can't add anything to the discussion and keep throwing around meaningless words like "generic" and not bothering to explain then don't post.

Most modposts are situational and topic-specific. This modpost addressed a specific situation in a different thread and would not apply here. It also wasn't intended to discourage negative reactions to press material. We do not enforce strictly positive (or strictly negative) thread environments and members are allowed to post how they feel about any given subject so long as they do not violate our terms of service.

That said, if you feel a member is violating our posting etiquette, please report them for staff to review. This will help to prevent thread derails or any misunderstandings. You can always reach out if you have questions as well. Take care!

CosmicSea

Alt account
Banned
Feb 5, 2019
Mind if I turn this around?

Is there anything you can point me to that shows this game is more than just another open world game with a white dude loaded up with guns shooting zombies? I'd be more than happy to watch/read whatever you have and be open to changing my opinion.
Well name another open world zombie game with fast movie zombie hordes that eat, sleep, , that also focus in biker culture? But you really never answer my question, in fact you dodged it.

Dying light was 4 years ago..and that was parkour, melee focused....and the Zombies are pretty different.

By your logic Sopranos is generic, because of how it looks.... Sounds like the folk who said Arthur Morgan was "Generic" based om him being a white dude.

CosmicSea

Alt account
Banned
Feb 5, 2019
I just do not see how any of that adds to the gaming experience.

TLOU would be just another generic zombie game if it weren't for its top tier characters, story, visceral combat, great pacing and somewhat unique take on zombie outbreaks. If you strip away all of those elements it wouldn't stand out to me as a game worth playing.

Here, I am seeing characters that are uninteresting, an open world which is every other game these days, and now I know that the zombies in this game eat and sleep.
So you just hand wave it away..got ya....were are all these open world zombie games peeps keeping saying exist? How do you know how the characters in this game are portrayed at all? You know nothing about these characters to even make these judgements lol. Your mind is already made up before the game is even out. Name one thing about the characters in Days gone that is generic and un-interesting?

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
I'm warming to it. As long as it has good pacing then I should enjoy it. I like that the zombies in the hordes are one shot kill. If there were that many combined with bullet sponge then it could politely fuck off :)

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo

Is there anything you can point me to that shows this game is more than just another open world game with a white dude loaded up with guns shooting zombies? I'd be more than happy to watch/read whatever you have and be open to changing my opinion.

Hold up a minute. You said the game is generic and when asked to explain it you want to dodge the question and have someone waste their time backing up a point they didn't make because you cannot be bothered to back up your own view?

Please tell me what other open world games out there where they are seemingly intelligent horde of unrelenting monsters that I can play?
Have you not even watched the GB take on the game?

butman

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
That shot is also very nice imo :)

days-gone-wedding-site-screen-03-ps4-us-05feb19

Can you climb that mountain?

CosmicSea

Alt account
Banned
Feb 5, 2019
Hold up a minute. You said the game is generic and when asked to explain it you want to dodge the question and have someone waste their time backing up a point they didn't make because you cannot be bothered to back up your own view?

Please tell me what other open world games out there where they are seemingly intelligent horde of unrelenting monsters that I can play?
Have you not even watched the GB take on the game?
LOl yep, it's clear some have their mind made up and want the game to be bad before it's out..it's bizarre.

Richter1887

Oct 27, 2017

My take:

-The horde. They will never let up if they spot you, drive as far as you can and they will always be on your tail so you will end up having to get rid of them. You can improvise and lead them into an enemy camp or try some other way.
-The bike. The bike is your main transportation in the game so you need to take care of it and fix it when it breaks down. You need to refule it, it makes noise that could attract other enemies like freakers or gangs so you gotta plan around those mechanics. It is also upgradable in both cosmetics and mechanics so you can upgrade the fuel tank to have more fuel or install a quieter muffler to be able to drive around stealthily or you can upgrade the bikes inventory to allow you to carry more weapons and items. Losing the bike could be death because there are enemies that are faster than you on foot.
-The Freakers. These are living beings that need to sleep, eat, drink and create their own nests. The fact they need to drink and eat means they are more likely to be near a water supply though they can also be anywhere because they can move around. This leads to more dynamic encounters.
-The camps. Each camp can be befriended which leads to you getting help from them or making them hate you which leads to them being hostile to you.
-Weather. Weather is very important in the game. It can snow anytime (and yes snow will fall on the ground instead of disappearing). Rain will make freakers have a hard time hearing you.
-"Macguyver" mechanics. You will be able to use anything to your advantage whether it is scraps (crafting a silencer out of an oil tank is one thing they showed) or even the world itself if a horde is chasing you like in the first reveal.

There are more but that should give you an idea.
Most modposts are situational and topic-specific. This modpost addressed a specific situation in a different thread and would not apply here. It also wasn't intended to discourage negative reactions to press material. We do not enforce strictly positive (or strictly negative) thread environments and members are allowed to post how they feel about any given subject so long as they do not violate our terms of service.

That said, if you feel a member is violating our posting etiquette, please report them for staff to review. This will help to prevent thread derails or any misunderstandings. You can always reach out if you have questions as well. Take care!
Thanks and sorry for that, will keep that in mind for the next time.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
Still looks pretty bad visually compared to other Sony 1st party games.
Not after the latest trailer it doesn't.

Current build takes it up several notches.

They are already doing something that has never been done in gaming.

Zombies in this game are living beings, they sleep, create nests, cannibalize each other, need to drink and more. They have different classes that are stronger than each other which means the zombies "respect" the bigger classes. They are very similar to animals in that regard.
My take:

-The horde. They will never let up if they spot you, drive as far as you can and they will always be on your tail so you will end up having to get rid of them. You can improvise and lead them into an enemy camp or try some other way.
-The bike. The bike is your main transportation in the game so you need to take care of it and fix it when it breaks down. You need to refule it, it makes noise that could attract other enemies like freakers or gangs so you gotta plan around those mechanics. It is also upgradable in both cosmetics and mechanics so you can upgrade the fuel tank to have more fuel or install a quieter muffler to be able to drive around stealthily or you can upgrade the bikes inventory to allow you to carry more weapons and items. Losing the bike could be death because there are enemies that are faster than you on foot.
-The Freakers. These are living beings that need to sleep, eat, drink and create their own nests. The fact they need to drink and eat means they are more likely to be near a water supply though they can also be anywhere because they can move around. This leads to more dynamic encounters.
-The camps. Each camp can be befriended which leads to you getting help from them or making them hate you which leads to them being hostile to you.
-Weather. Weather is very important in the game. It can snow anytime (and yes snow will fall on the ground instead of disappearing). Rain will make freakers have a hard time hearing you.
-"Macguyver" mechanics. You will be able to use anything to your advantage whether it is scraps (crafting a silencer out of an oil tank is one thing they showed) or even the world itself if a horde is chasing you like in the first reveal.

These posts are great and appreciated, but sadly will be forgotten by the time the next thread comes around.

Last edited:

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

I think an earlier post I made covers this pretty well.

Well of course there are going to be similarities in enemy types, that's par for the course, especially with zombie games. Hell brute type enemies are pretty much a staple of video game enemies full stop, irrespective of genre.

The uniqueness in Days Gone is in other aspects coming together as a whole, eg the sheer volume, speed and AI of the massive hordes, the different animal zombies as well as human types (bears, crows, wolves etc), but most importantly, the dynamic systems based gameplay and environmental interactivity, stuff like being able to set any wooden barn or building on fire to cook or draw out enemies inside, the use of physics, throwing stones at cars to set off alarms, using environmental obstacles and goods on zombies, be they logs, trucks, cannisters and so on. The world seems like more of a playground or sandbox compared to some other more curated zombie combat experiences.

Plus there's the massive scope of the world and levels, the way weather and time of day affects the environment and gameplay, your bike and how its managed and used to traverse and so on. There's also the narrative and character tone, the whole southern biker gang thing, which is actually pretty unique for a video game.

Even though Days Gone is another zombie game, I feel it's still doing enough that it does set itself apart, and should feel relatively fresh to play. Hopefully it's a decent game and reviews well. All the recent footage/trailers certainly look a lot better, but the full game is anyone's guess.

I'm not seeing any fauna in that screenshot, aside from some black specks in the distance representing birds.

Whoops, typo, meant to say foliage!

2CL4Mars

Nov 9, 2018

What if it is? I don't see the point of you arguing with people here about if days gone is an uninspired, generic open world game or not. You think that it is and nobody here is going to suddenly change your mind on that fact. Hell, I agree that it isn't the most interesting concept out there and yet of what days gone appear to offers I find to be rather appealing and maybe when it releases people who doubted it will be right and those who thought that it would be great weren't and I suppose one of the groups would be satisfied about being right and shove it down everyone's throat.

Are we still going to continue this so very interesting discussion? because I don't see the point of it but clearly I'm wrong.

OP
OP
Loudninja

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
My take:

Thanks and sorry for that, will keep that in mind for the next time.
My topic covers all of this stuff as well!
https://www.resetera.com/threads/everything-you-need-to-know-about-days-gone.94606/

Really this game is doing quite alot not common in open world games so at this point I dont get some people.

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
What is the point in engaging me in discussion? I sincerely doubt CosmicSea was trying to alter his opinion of the game so he is no longer interested in it. On the other hand, I am interested in changing my opinion. So, to me, it makes more sense to have someone show me what excites them about the game rather than for me to list what I find uninspiring, uninteresting, and overall generic. If you see it as "dodging" the question, so be it.

And no, I have not seen any Giant Bomb videos on the game. I'd be more than happy to watch whatever you are referring to if you link them!

I did not ask you to engage me in discussion, but if nothing could convince me that the game is not generic, I wouldn't bother posting in the thread.

My bad wasn't GB it was EZA, this was posted in one of Ninja's many Days Gone threads:

CosmicSea

Alt account
Banned
Feb 5, 2019
Thread should be a sticky at this point.

Though we all know people will overlook it for some reason.
It will just get handwaved away, poster above already doubled down and wants people to prove the game is not "Generic", this is a game that does not launch until April so apparently we need to be future tellers.. Then turns around and apparently he knows that the characters are generic without playing or knowing any plot, writing in the game. I'm still waiting for him to answer and not side step my posts questions.

OP
OP
Loudninja

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
Thread should be a sticky at this point.

Though we all know people will overlook it for some reason.
I am just not going to sit here and explain this stuff for the hundred time to people not interested it a tedious waste of time.There plenty of vids and info out there not to come into a conservation with incorrect assumptions or info.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
My bad wasn't GB it was EZA, this was posted in one of Ninja's many Days Gone threads:

Thanks for posting this. Hadn't seen it before. Sounds fantastic. Damiani of all people saying that the last zombie game to give him this sort of freedom and intensity was RE4 with the opening level. That is some pretty high praise.

Oct 25, 2017
What does "Default Sony AAA game" mean? I mean Dreams, Detroit, GOW, GT Sport, Horizon, MLB, Bloodborne etc... are nothing alike visually or gameplay wise.

Are we going to get this "Generic as Fuck," every time a game as a white dude as the lead? Generic like Arthur Morgan?

Attractive white people equal generic. Although we don't really see too many tattooed protagonists or bikers so that's different to me.

CosmicSea

Alt account
Banned
Feb 5, 2019
Attractive white people equal generic. Although we don't really see too many tattooed protagonists or bikers so that's different to me.
That is a silly generalisation.... So if someone is white and good looking they are automatically generic? I don't but that at all, it makes no sense? Are we going to see "Generic" post in every game/character that is white now?

Oct 25, 2017
That is a silly generalisation.... So if someone is white and good looking they are automatically generic? I don't but that at all, it makes no sense? Are we going to see "Generic" post in every game/character that is white now?

I'm not saying that! I'm saying that is the impression I get from people constantly saying Deacon and now his fiance look generic. I think it's ridiculous. He is no more generic than the typical lead in a Western developed AAA game.

Heid

Jan 7, 2018
Is there a white blonde woman version of the white male protag collage lol

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'll never understand why some people care so much that others don't like the look of an upcoming game they're excited for so spend literally hours telling them they're wrong or shouldn't be allowed to express their opinion on a forum.

To me the game has potential. I'll wait for reviews.

Yog-Sothoth

Oct 1, 2018
Whenever I read 'generic' or 'uninspired' I just disregard the post altogether.
These two are just throwaway words for lazy people who can't find a better way to express their negative opinion while trying to sound smart.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
So I wonder will be able to see the trailer or whatever it is soon after
I'm pretty sure it's going to be immediately accessible to everyone on these various PlayStation channels.

I think the invites to gaming media is just for marketing purposes and to maximise the effect of an epic new trailer. Like the Spyro eggs and the Crash dice that were sent to different gaming media outlets before it was officially announced.

OP
OP
Loudninja

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
I'm pretty sure it's going to be immediately accessible to everyone on these various PlayStation channels.

I think the invites to gaming media is just for marketing purposes and to maximise the effect of an epic new trailer. Like the Spyro eggs and the Crash dice that were sent to different gaming media outlets before it was officially announced.
Yep make sense.

Deleted member 40133

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 19, 2018
I'm not saying that! I'm saying that is the impression I get from people constantly saying Deacon and now his fiance look generic. I think it's ridiculous. He is no more generic than the typical lead in a Western developed AAA game.

Deacon as generic is quite frankly showing people don't even KNOW what the word means. I'd love those people to point out three more tatted up bikers in ALL of gaming

OP
OP
Loudninja

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for posting this. Hadn't seen it before. Sounds fantastic. Damiani of all people saying that the last zombie game to give him this sort of freedom and intensity was RE4 with the opening level. That is some pretty high praise.
Kinda Funny impressions where great as well.

OP
OP
Loudninja

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
Days Gone looking so good, would love to see how big the map is and how varied.
We know there are 6 different regions in the game,from dense alpine forest, lush meadows to desert lava fields, ancient lava caves,badlands, and snow fields. With small towns,mountains to cliffs and river basins,gas stations ,saw mills, ski lodges, mountain resorts, and golf courses ,just alot of stuff.

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
Looks great. Is there any info if there will be different clothes or caps.
I know most people do not care for that, but that is something that I like and care lol

Oct 27, 2017
Easy. Have the apocalypse caused by something other than a generic zombie outbreak. There are tons of other options for this that are more interesting from the somewhat realistic, such as climate change, energy conflict, nuclear war, global pandemic to fantasy/science fiction such as solar flares destroying all technology, alien invasion, extradimension rifts, lovecraftian creatures awakening, and so on. The most interesting drama in post apocalyptic( including zombie) scenarios is always the inter-personal conflict but if you must have non-human enemies most of the scenarios I threw out could easily accommodate them.

If you absolutely MUST have zombies and not some alternative there are still ways you could make the premise actually interesting like having the story take place centuries after the initial outbreak which would provide opportunities for having interesting, fleshed out post-collapse societies like Horizon Zero Dawn did.

Besides the premise there is also a lot they could have done to make the visual style at least look remotely interesting. The options here are too numerous to list but think of literally any game that doesn't just try to look photo-realistic and you have something more interesting than Days Gone.

This is just me spending less than 5 minutes throwing out random ideas. Someone who actually put in some time and effort could probably come up with dozens more that are far more interesting and less generic than what Days Gone is doing. I'm honestly struggling to think of anything on the horizon that isn't just another AAA franchise entry like Battlefield, FIFA or Call of Duty that looks less interesting than Days Gone.

Generally, I like all your (potentially) alternative origin scenarios. They would be good, I love anything post apocalyptic.

But I will just say that;

1) these aren't zombies so the dynamics of the game are different to standard zombie fare

2) do we know how the freakers got started? I might have missed a story nugget somewhere which gives some clues as to the origins of the game, but I don't think we have no idea yet how it started (maybe it is one of the things you've suggested?) but given that the enemies aren't zombies, 'generic zombie outbreak' might be entirely incorrect.

Anyway, I appreciate the decent response and your thoughts.

Lentic

Oct 27, 2017
I feel pretty much no response to anything I see of this game, which is disappointing.

Hopefully the gameplay shines.