• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
This is a collection of Death Stranding screenshots Kojima has posted on his official Twitter page over the past week and some new ones he posted today. For your viewing pleasure, I've upscaled these images and cropped where necessary. I also made sure to lift the images at their original resolution with png:large so this is the best they're gonna look.

k2KwXwn.jpg

WPOTrL1.jpg

r4q8MwY.jpg

hRv9MVo.png

lmMng8Z.jpg

rDhJStp.jpg

44jH0R9.jpg

Last edited:

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
The moiré effect in the second last picture initially made it look like there was some minecrafting going on with that mountain.

Gorgeous. Intriguing.
I hear PS4 fans spinning with joy already

Mar 29, 2018
It's literally a person standing/sitting in various positions in a tundra. There's literally nothing here.

I'm confident the game will be amazing but these screens are a pile of nothingburgers.

J 0 E

Oct 27, 2017
The game keeps looking better and better

I like how Kojima freely shares the images without any PR constraints. Something I don't see other game directors do.

Agni Kai

Nov 2, 2017
It's amazing how hyped I am considering most of the game looks like a lonely guy walking in an empty world for hours.

I'm fucking ready. Give it to me.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
this game looks like a bunch of nothing
Agreed. It looks nice, and I like the BotW-style world that has empty, relaxing spaces that are not saturated with busywork... but the lack of concrete gameplay details and the mediocre combat sequence they showed in the last trailer makes me wonder how this game will be at the end. I hope that Sony releases a big gameplay sequence a month or so before the launch.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
It looks like the same world map but in three styles, like you see it across three distinct periods.

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
Can't wait to see the environments that we haven't seen yet.

My guess is that one of them will be the moon.

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
Gorgeous looking game in its own right. But when I look at these screenshots, all I can think about is... how fun is it going to be actually traversing the environments. There are no cities or buildings or landmarks on display here, just vast openness. To me, going from point A to point B looks like it'll be a real borefest.

Mar 29, 2018
Gorgeous looking game in its own right. But when I look at these screenshots, all I can think about is... how fun is it going to be actually traversing the environments. There are no cities or buildings or landmarks on display here, just vast openness. To me, going from point A to point B looks like it'll be a real borefest.
Hopefully two things:
- they visually implied that there are cities/populated areas... we can hope
- the whole "social strand/string" system makes activities happening in these tundra have some sort of edge. Like there's a risk/reward to what the player's actually doing in these spaces that none of us can see yet

OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Remember all those complaints about MGSV's open world feeling empty? Well, I feel they'll (justifiably) be making a return when Death Stranding launches. Don't get me wrong, the prospect of exploring a desolate and broken world utterly transformed by the Death Stranding really excites me but I realize this isn't the kind of thing for everyone. We've had a solid grasp of the gameplay loop for a while now which is more about HOW you go from point A to point B to deliver things while surviving and bracing the horrors of the land. It's about engaging you with the environment and you coming up with your own path. You could walk to your destination but you're more likely to come across BTs that way. Driving around makes you more susceptible to ambushes by the Homo Demens etc. Walking in the footsteps of other delivery people to ensure the route you're taking is not dangerous, that kind of thing.

There's more at play than meets the eye, it's definitely something different which is why I'm interested to at LEAST give it a shot.

Pariah

Oct 29, 2017
To me, going from point A to point B looks like it'll be a real borefest.
The point is how you get from A to B, and what happens during the journey. You'll have to make your own way, hide from the undead/ghost presence, fight off the other corporations chasing you... It's (hopefully) going to be full of little events, as with MGS.

Olaf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm gonna be pissed if this game gets a free pass just because it's made by Kojima, while RDR2 gets shit on for being "slow and clunky". Everything I've seen so far makes me believe Death Stranding will redefine "slow and clunky"

Nestunt

Oct 27, 2017
Porto, Portugal
I bet this game will feel totally incoherent between story and gameplay =D

The cutscenes and exposition will be bonkers and engaging, and the gameplay in the world will be bland and repetitive.

Like a more artsy version of Phantom Pain.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm gonna be pissed if this game gets a free pass just because it's made by Kojima, while RDR2 gets shit on for being "slow and clunky". Everything I've seen so far makes me believe Death Stranding will redefine "slow and clunky"

There is nothing wrong with slow, but RDR doesn't feel great to control. Kojima's games do, TPP is a masterpiece in how it controls.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The world looks insanely empty. BOTW was also very empty at times and it was a great game, so we'll see how it goes, but so far it hasn't shown anything that other open world games didn't already do better. We'll see if the Kojima mindfuck will be enough to carry the product.

Gameplay Systems
OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
I hope it gets released without Kojima actually explaining anything about the gameplay systems/plot.
Plot I agree with but we already have a decent amount of knowledge on gameplay systems
  • There are bases in the open-world that belong to enemy factions like the Homo Demens that you can choose to engage with or simply ignore
  • Playing the game non-lethally will yield very different consequences compared to if you were to kill everything you came across
  • You can trade supplies and use camps built by other players to rest up
  • If you are killed by a BT (Beached Thing), you're sent to "Hades" and have to get out, doing so will cause a huge crater to appear in the area you died.
  • Timefall rain speeds up the ageing process for everything in the environment except for Sam himself
  • Carrying more supplies naturally makes traversing the environment more difficult due to the load, and supplies can be dropped + lost if you're attacked by an enemy and don't pick them back up
  • The sky is littered with different kinds of "Strands" including black and blue ones which seem to indicate where to go but also represent the "Social Strand System" connecting you with other players

Last edited:

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017
The world looks insanely empty. BOTW was also very empty at times and it was a great game, so we'll see how it goes, but so far it hasn't shown anything that other open world games didn't already do better. We'll see if the Kojima mindfuck will be enough to carry the product.

Sometimes, emptiness is the point, see Shadow of the Colossus.

Zoph

Oct 25, 2017
Looks great, but with it coming out so soon and us having seen so little of it over its relatively brief development period I'm starting to worry it's only 5 hours long or something.

Ojli

Chicken Chaser
Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
I'm very excited for this game. But the sceenshots look like a Norman Reedus asset put into a generic Unreal Engine 4 environment tech demo.

Oct 27, 2017
No doubt the game is going to be a visual stunner. I'm just concerned over the gameplay they had shown in that trailer. The fighting and running just seemed clunky to me. I'm hoping it was just a bad choice of footage. Still going to wait for reviews before diving in, but im definitely still interested!