• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
wyTwLds.gif

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
A lot of people will completely miss the point of the open world in this just like they did with MGSV.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A lot of people will completely miss the point of the open world in this just like they did with MGSV.
Yup. MGSV isn't a traditional open world game - you're not supposed to go out there, it's just an interactive background. The game takes place on the bases.

That said I'm not sure how DS's open world will work yet.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The game is going to be about delivering things while being very cautious of hazards such as the deadly rain, BT monsters, hazmat pursuers and the general terrain trying to kill you.

I already know i'm gonna love it but I can tell it won't be for everyone.

Tremorah

Dec 3, 2018
This is a collection of Death Stranding screenshots Kojima has posted on his official Twitter page over the past week and some new ones he posted today. For your viewing pleasure, I've upscaled these images and cropped where necessary. I also made sure to lift the images at their original resolution with png:large so this is the best they're gonna look.

WPOTrL1.jpg

r4q8MwY.jpg

hRv9MVo.png

So like, you can just sit there and....cuddle your tank baby....and take in the scenery?

Kojima you mad bastard

Heavy Hushed

Oct 26, 2017
Yup. MGSV isn't a traditional open world game - you're not supposed to go out there, it's just an interactive background. The game takes place on the bases.

That said I'm not sure how DS's open world will work yet.

I'm thinking (and hoping) that it is going to be the inverse of MGSV's open world for that reason. Either have an open world that's just dressing in service of gameplay functions, or something that's aesthetically cohesive. Both are great, I just wanna see Kojima's take on the later. I think RDR2 was a perfect example of this, Breath of the Wild too — but it's probably not what some people are expecting/want.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
I think I'm the only person here so turned off by that apartment on his back. None of the actual gameplay looks compelling to me yet. I'd like to be pleasantly surprised.

darkwing

Oct 25, 2017
I figure the game has a stamina system that is why you have to sit and rest, while taking on the scenery

evilromero

Oct 27, 2017
I'm gonna be pissed if this game gets a free pass just because it's made by Kojima, while RDR2 gets shit on for being "slow and clunky". Everything I've seen so far makes me believe Death Stranding will redefine "slow and clunky"
MGSV has the tightest gameplay and controls of this gen. Why would you think to compare this to a game from a different developer?

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
Gorgeous looking game in its own right. But when I look at these screenshots, all I can think about is... how fun is it going to be actually traversing the environments. There are no cities or buildings or landmarks on display here, just vast openness. To me, going from point A to point B looks like it'll be a real borefest.
I get what you mean, but this style of gameplay is intended and is about the various different ways you are able to journey from point A to point B and how you overcome the challenges of managing/distributing cargo because the main dude is supposed to deliver stuff to "reunite a broken nation" however that ties into the story.

Exploration is possible but probably secondary and depends on how invested you are in the environments, but also we have seen plenty of different landmarks including buildings and settlements in the trailers so far outside of the natural landscape.

HebrewHammer

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
I'm digging the diverse outfits to deck Norman (I'll always call him that, even in-game).

But man do I get the feeling this big ol' world doesn't have much to do.

Oct 25, 2017
someone give kojima a device to take screenshots and not a potato phone please!

Looks nice anyway =p, i wonder if there is another map, he always show the same settings.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I hope this game will have a photo mode. It just has to have one like other PS4 exclusives.

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I hope the twist is 2 hours in the Norman Reedus character dies and the baby grows up to be Solid Snake, but also played by Norman Reedus.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Not sure what you mean exactly, but hopefully just one. I didn't like how MGSV was split up.

Wow a post about how Kojima isn't innovative, never seen on ResetERA before /s

I meant we always, almost only, see screenshots in this green flat area. Like, isn't there more? What is he doing/testing there all day? How weird.

And yes I know we already saw mountains, this same looking red area, a forest, ruins and a snow section, but still, not much variety here.

Acinixys

Banned
Nov 15, 2017
This thread:

1. OMG looks amazing

2. Looks like an empty boring snooze fest

Copy paste ad infinum

Ill wait for the PC release and reviews to form an opinion

Looks amazing, but I need game play. I mean, its a video game

Ive seen the video, but wheres the game???

SchrodingerC

Oct 25, 2017
Norman Reedus and his funky fetus chilling in a gorgeous backdrops.

I'm ok with these relaxing in-game moments.

∀∃:ETURNA

Oct 27, 2017
Probably sleep since "every human function can be done in 21 minutes...except sleep...that is the tricky one."

I absolutely can't wait anymore.
I have a hypothesis concerning this scene: I'm guessing it takes place near the beginning of the game and that it's interactive to an extent! Heartman's heart stops beating at the midpoint of the scene, thus forcing the player to either wait in real time for the defibrillator to revive Heartman in 21 minutes or take a nap to fast forward to his revival. It would be a cool way to subtly introduce that mechanic to the player.

giapel

Oct 28, 2017
At this point I almost wish Kojima declares that the world is not ready for this game and cancels it.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm not certain what is prompting the hate-boner from some people regarding this game but then again, I've seen previous DS threads devolve into Kojima-bashing festivals so whatever.

Personally, I don't care about the narrative. Kojima tends to make mechanically excellent games and that's what I'm interested in and given his storied track record, I'm certain he'll deliver.

On that front, he's never disappointed me.

closer

Oct 25, 2017
game looks great
slightly worried that we are going to be seeing similar facial animations to Horizon, which actually contributed a lot to putting me off on the game, but I think what I've seen so far (heartman, reedus, etc.) is a step above already so I'm hopeful!

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
2 points to make:

The foliage and water looks absolutely amazing, and it's great to know that all work done on these things can be fed directly back into the pipeline for Guerrilla Games to use on Horizon 2. Water rendering was a weak spot in Horizon and this is a true step ahead of that. That game is going to be an insane showcase for the PS5.

I love how this shot is basically a replication of the key art here:

DEST_CharacterArt_E32018_00007_1528773039.jpg