• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DoradoWinston

Apr 9, 2019
im genuinly so happy that even now this close to launch the game is essentially still a mystery.

too often do we see too much in games and movies before launch that having a new IP from a studio filled with talented people while everything still being a mystery is amazing and a breathe of fresh air.

Kindekuma

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm wondering if when you load the game up Norman is sleeping and you wake him up. Kinda like how Kojima posted nothing but Snake in the helicopter.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I meant we always, almost only, see screenshots in this green flat area. Like, isn't there more? What is he doing/testing there all day? How weird.

And yes I know we already saw mountains, this same looking red area, a forest, ruins and a snow section, but still, not much variety here.
Well you just named 5 different area themes so I guess it's safe to say there will be multiple environment types. Not to mention those are the only ones shown so far (remember when Nintendo fans thought Mario Odyssey would only have two levels because that's how many were in the trailer?)

aerts1js

May 11, 2019
If there's one issue Kojima's games have never had it's slow and clunky controls. Ridiculous convoluted storylines, overly long cutscenes, and a lot of navel gazing, sure. But the actual gameplay has always been tight. Indeed, Kojima's most recent - MGSV - had incredibly tight controls and was 60fps on all formats to boot.

When MGS3 came out I would say it was clunky controls. It was fixed in future releases but yeah.... wasn't fun trekking through the jungle/forest with that overhead camera.

MentalZer0

Oct 27, 2017
k2KwXwn.jpg

That water shader looks a lot better than Horizon, for sure

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
damn, those are some RDR2-esque pretty fields/landscapes right there

literally the highest praise I could give to a game's visuals

so ready for this

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Game looks stunning. It is like looking like a window.
I'm gonna be pissed if this game gets a free pass just because it's made by Kojima, while RDR2 gets shit on for being "slow and clunky". Everything I've seen so far makes me believe Death Stranding will redefine "slow and clunky"
There is slow yet smooth games and there is clunky slow games.
RDR is slow because it is clunky as hell mechanically. Other open games like Metal Gear Solid 5 or Days Gone go for the whole "slow immersive gameplay" yet they feel much better compared to RDR.

As long as the game feels good even though it is slow then it should be fine. RDR however fails at making the game feel good to play.

ymgve

Oct 31, 2017
I have a hypothesis concerning this scene: I'm guessing it takes place near the beginning of the game and that it's interactive to an extent! Heartman's heart stops beating at the midpoint of the scene, thus forcing the player to either wait in real time for the defibrillator to revive Heartman in 21 minutes or take a nap to fast forward to his revival. It would be a cool way to subtly introduce that mechanic to the player.
You got it the wrong way around - his heart works for 21 minutes before stopping, then he spends 3 minutes dead (not enough time for the brain to decay, but enough time to do a small bit of searching in Hades) before being revived.

Beef Supreme

Oct 25, 2017
This game looks great, but it does nothing for me. Everything I've seen just looks so boring. I'll wait for reviews.

Ænima

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
wait what?it's an online game?
No, but the game has asynchronous online. Kinda like souls games where players can leave messages and you can read them in your game world, also in Death Stranding players will be able to see vestiges of other players, but you cant play online with them. I think the idea is the ability to help eachother but without being in the same game world. But this will be an optional feauture.

Last edited:

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The UI seems to be kinda inspired by Dead Space - i.e. minimal and diegetic, with stuff like the bracelet showing health status, etc.
The UI, as far as I'm aware, is going to be diegetic - kinda like Dead Space.

and I'm totally digging that.

That's really great to know, I love when you don't have a minimap or any other UI on screen so you can just focus on the world itself.

Everything here points to a tedious gameplay loop given how large the environments look. Hope Im wrong.

Oh it definitely will be for some, I can already hear Jim Sterling, his stans and Kojima haters decrying this as the "ultimate walking simulator"

But Kojima has never made a game with bad gameplay yet so I'm very hopeful it'll all come together.

∀∃:ETURNA

Oct 27, 2017
You got it the wrong way around - his heart works for 21 minutes before stopping, then he spends 3 minutes dead (not enough time for the brain to decay, but enough time to do a small bit of searching in Hades) before being revived.
Ah, you're right! Welp... so much for that idea then! XD Still... I think that would have been a clever way to go about it. Totally up Kojima's alley, I feel.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you thought MGS5 had an "empty" world, Death Stranding is probably going to drive you crazy.

Fortunately, those folks were wrong and this looks great.

ManNR

Feb 13, 2019
Remember all those complaints about MGSV's open world feeling empty? Well, I feel they'll (justifiably) be making a return when Death Stranding launches. Don't get me wrong, the prospect of exploring a desolate and broken world utterly transformed by the Death Stranding really excites me but I realize this isn't the kind of thing for everyone. We've had a solid grasp of the gameplay loop for a while now which is more about HOW you go from point A to point B to deliver things while surviving and bracing the horrors of the land. It's about engaging you with the environment and you coming up with your own path. You could walk to your destination but you're more likely to come across BTs that way. Driving around makes you more susceptible to ambushes by the Homo Demens etc. Walking in the footsteps of other delivery people to ensure the route you're taking is not dangerous, that kind of thing.

There's more at play than meets the eye, it's definitely something different which is why I'm interested to at LEAST give it a shot.

That's a very interesting take on the game loop & exploration. Is this your personal theory on how traversal risk/reward will work?

OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
That's a very interesting take on the game loop & exploration. Is this your personal theory on how traversal risk/reward will work?
No, this is from what Kojima has personally described in interviews but also what he showed us in the E3 2018 and recent Release Date trailer.

Aswitch

Nov 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Can not wait for this. Also something tells me what we've been shown is only the surface of what this game is going to offer and that's actually what fascinates me the most. Not knowing what we're in for, and what spin or twist Kojima is going to throw at us with the content of this game.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
It's based on all the gameplay shown. Different traversal tools, with specific length and height limits. Cargo management and balance mechanics. Different means of transport (ie bike, automated drones, by hand, backpacks). Gear that improves your balance, speed, etc. Enemies that mutate the terrain.

Traversal here is an actual gameplay system, not just the thing you do to get to the gameplay/action

ManNR

Feb 13, 2019
It's based on all the gameplay shown. Different traversal tools, with specific length and height limits. Cargo management and balance mechanics. Different means of transport (ie bike, automated drones, by hand, backpacks). Gear that improves your balance, speed, etc.

Traversal here is an actual gameplay system, not just the thing you do to get to the action

That I understand. I just didn't realize it has been laid bare to such an extent. I'm still looking at everything being show and thinking "This looks amazing! I don't understand it all but I can't wait to play."

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
Remember all those complaints about MGSV's open world feeling empty? Well, I feel they'll (justifiably) be making a return when Death Stranding launches. Don't get me wrong, the prospect of exploring a desolate and broken world utterly transformed by the Death Stranding really excites me but I realize this isn't the kind of thing for everyone. We've had a solid grasp of the gameplay loop for a while now which is more about HOW you go from point A to point B to deliver things while surviving and bracing the horrors of the land. It's about engaging you with the environment and you coming up with your own path. You could walk to your destination but you're more likely to come across BTs that way. Driving around makes you more susceptible to ambushes by the Homo Demens etc. Walking in the footsteps of other delivery people to ensure the route you're taking is not dangerous, that kind of thing.

There's more at play than meets the eye, it's definitely something different which is why I'm interested to at LEAST give it a shot.

This is a much more concise way of articulating what I've been trying to tell people whenever the topic of how the game plays and the supposed mystery of its structure came up in conversation. We dont know everything, but the gameplay footage shown and Kojima's statements give us a pretty clear picture. It's actually what has me most excited.

I think some are expecting a more traditional Kojima experience though, and I dont doubt they'll be disappointed with what will end up being an evolution of MGSV.

saiko

Nov 4, 2017
I'm gonna be pissed if this game gets a free pass just because it's made by Kojima, while RDR2 gets shit on for being "slow and clunky". Everything I've seen so far makes me believe Death Stranding will redefine "slow and clunky"

It won't be slower and clunkier than RDR2 if the latest trailer is anything to go by.

OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
I've said this before, but I feel the whole "Social Strand System" Kojima is pushing in this game is very reminiscent of MGSV's Nuclear Disarmament in the sense that players around the world had to get together to accomplish a single goal without ever crossing paths. Only this time, players are coming together, connecting and CONSTANTLY helping each other through strands despite yet again never crossing paths. It's stuff like players trading supplies with one another, sharing safe houses or trailblazing and coming up with safe paths to avoid confrontation with enemies.

These here are Kojima's own words back in April at the Tribeca Film Festival

"It's an open-world action game, but it's really something new," said Kojima. "There are so many things happening in the real world - in America, in Europe - everything is actually connected by the internet, but in a way we're not connected in the real world these days."

"I'm putting that as a metaphor in the game. The player will have to reconnect the world in the game. You're very alone, there's solitude, but you're trying to connect. The story and the gameplay, the key word is 'connection.' There are so many things in-between, of course, but the key is connection," he continues.

"I also threw in a really new idea. You're connecting the game, and everyone is playing it together, and you'll be connected, everyone will be connected together as well. I can't say anything because Sony will be very unhappy. I don't want to be disconnected from Sony."

"I want people to think of their lives, or to take a step back and look at the world and say 'oh yeah, this is the connection or disconnection in the world.' Like some people create walls around, like what's happening in Europe, you might see some similarities playing the game."