• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Ænima

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Must be the PC version... lol
Looks awesome! Day 1!!!
Its the PS4 Pro Dev Kit version :P

44jH0R9.jpg

83c09715bb6f991e9d422529129da39a.jpg

Banzai

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I'm super confused how excited people are about a character standing/sitting in some empty environments lol. How weird to be out of the loop of the Kojima Hype for once. I used to be a MGS superfan, but I realy don't get it this time.

FlintSpace

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Thing is, I don't know and I don't need to know. I watch movies by checking their director and writer and then blindly give them the benefit of the doubt for Day1.

Same goes for Kojima. I am not a super fan, have not played most of his games, but had he ever made a BAD GAME in his life ?

Unless Day1 reviews are like..Order 1886 like fisaco, I am sooo in.

Rimkrak

Oct 26, 2017
I'm super confused how excited people are about a character standing/sitting in some empty environments lol. How weird to be out of the loop of the Kojima Hype for once. I used to be a MGS superfan, but I realy don't get it this time.
Personally, what hypes me in the screenshots in Kojima's twitter, is purely the graphics and the models, especially since they are offcreen shots, and the photos confirm it is actually running on a ps4 pro.
Sure, if you look at these screens looking for gameplay elements, "what do you do" meme etc, you'll be disapointed, however why look for that in the wrong place(the offscreens stills), when we already have quite a bit of info on actual gameplay.
Moreover, it's obvious from the beginning that they are keeping plenty of stuff close to their chest in an attempt to surprise everyone at launch.
In the end, I get not getting hype if you feel they don't give you enough clear informations on gameplay (even though I feel we know enough of the basics), what I don''t get is coming in a thread about offscreens stills from the game and complaining about no gameplay, you(the general you) won't find it in these screenshots :)

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
Conversely, I'm finally in the Kojima Hype loop. Here's a AAA game that isn't relying on screenshots and videos showcasing all the ways you can murder humans/aliens/monsters for a change. It's bold enough to stand on the merit of its worlds, characters, and mysterious plot. More please.

Rimkrak

Oct 26, 2017
Conversely, I'm finally in the Kojima Hype loop. Here's a AAA game that isn't relying on screenshots and videos showcasing all the ways you can murder humans/aliens/monsters for a change. It's bold enough to stand on the merit of its worlds, characters, and mysterious plot. More please.
Yep, especially since they still showed/explained gameplay elements, but not everything so they can keep a bit of mistery and surprise for launch. For me it's a good balance for a marketing campaign of a videogame, and different enough of the traditional marketing camaigns to be commended :)

Rimkrak

Oct 26, 2017
Looks very empty and dead, like there's literally nothing going on.
It's normal since all Kojima posts in his twitter since the beginning is still images of Sam resting, what did you expect to find here? :) If you want to know what is going on, check the gameplay elements showed in the trailers or explained on the game's page no?

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
I mean, because of his name, a lot of people bought physical version of Ground Zeroes on PS4 / XBO at 40$.
So, when his name is close to any project, I stopped trying to figuring it at.

ianpm31

Oct 27, 2017
I'm hyped to learn more about the courier and survival mechanics to reach your destination.

Aostia82

Oct 27, 2017
I understand both sides
People excited but also people very doubtful right now about this game

Rimkrak

Oct 26, 2017
I understand both sides
People excited but also people very doubtful right now about this game
It's a risky strategy but an interesting one, especially since Kojipro know they have a dedicated fanbase that is currently acclaiming them for keeping cards close to their chest up untill release(I'm obviously part of that camp), and the people doubting because they feel they don't have enough information have the chance to be surprised and turned around on their opinion once the game released and the missing "cards" are revealed. Imo it's a win win for them, so good idea

monmagman

Dec 6, 2018
England,UK
All these comments of.....looks dead,looks boring,nothing's happening....somebody photoshop some fireworks going off in the background or something,this shit is annoying,lol.Like everyone else I'm not exactly sure what the gameplay loop will be like,but the actual traversal of the enviroment being a major gameplay mechanic is very interesting to me at least.

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
Man, the gameplay sure looks boring from this selection of screenshots portraying the main character resting.
Where's the guns??
There's nothing killable in sight!

Hugare

Banned
Aug 31, 2018
It's a risky strategy but an interesting one, especially since Kojipro know they have a dedicated fanbase that is currently acclaiming them for keeping cards close to their chest up untill release(I'm obviously part of that camp), and the people doubting because they feel they don't have enough information have the chance to be surprised and turned around on their opinion once the game released and the missing "cards" are revealed. Imo it's a win win for them, so good idea
The problem is: MGS V exists

Remember when Kojima released the trailers and everyone was like "hmm, there are few cutscenes being shown, and they are being very obtuse about the game's story". And some people were like: "relax, this is Kojima, guys! He is just being quiet about the story because he wants to surprise us"

And then, we all know how that turned out

Some people are worried about how meaty the game is because of MGS V, rightly so.

LasNochesGin

Alt Account
Banned
Jul 16, 2019
Oh god...

They choose the most boring and bland environment in the world...

to me this photos only make me think how they used the easiest landscape to create graphically with almost no detail or variety

Andrew-Ryan

Banned
Dec 4, 2018
People are worried about the gameplay loop, and I suppose it could turn out to be bad, but Kojima has literally never made a game with a bad gameplay mechanic. The man understands what's fun and satisfying. MGS4 and MSG5 I had major problems with, but gameplay mechanics were not one of them. I'd be very surprised if it's the "walk around empty world to quest maker to get location for next quest marker, walk back to base" that people are thinking it is.

I'd also be surprised if the world is as big as people think it is. I think it'll be a bunch of smaller open world environments/levels rather than 1 big connected one like Rockstar games.

EccoCid

Mar 7, 2018
London
Gorgeous looking game in its own right. But when I look at these screenshots, all I can think about is... how fun is it going to be actually traversing the environments. There are no cities or buildings or landmarks on display here, just vast openness. To me, going from point A to point B looks like it'll be a real borefest.

Haha i love it! Dunno why but my fav parts of in witcher 3 and zelda was just walking in a forest or some other place at my own pace. Its like virtual hiking.

Rimkrak

Oct 26, 2017
The problem is: MGS V exists

Remember when Kojima released the trailers and everyone was like "hmm, there are few cutscenes being shown, and they are being very obtuse about the game's story". And some people were like: "relax, this is Kojima, guys! He is just being quiet about the story because he wants to surprise us"

And then, we all know how that turned out

Some people are worried about how meaty the game is because of MGS V, rightly so.
Okay but the development for these 2 games can't be quite more different than they already are, so the comparison seems to me like a reach.

MGSV : create a new engine from scratch, write a story supposed to link and conclude the numerous games that came before, have issues with you produces, dev complications and the producers chiming in and stoping the dev to release the game.

DS : here is an already working and great engine for you to play with guys ! new franchise so you're not limited by previous storylines characters etc , the producers of your game signing the devs a blank check and telling them to do as they please, then later saying publicly they never saw a game get developped so fast and efficiently.

Seems quite different to me anyway :)

Hugare

Banned
Aug 31, 2018
Okay but the development for these 2 games can't be quite more different than they already are, so the comparison seems to me like a reach.

MGSV : create a new engine from scratch, write a story supposed to link and conclude the numerous games that came before, have issues with you produces, dev complications and the producers chiming in and stoping the dev to release the game.

DS : here is an already working and great engine for you to play with guys ! new franchise so you're not limited by previous storylines characters etc , the producers of your game signing the devs a blank check and telling them to do as they please, then later saying publicly they never saw a game get developped so fast and efficiently.

Seems quite different to me anyway :)
I understand the development differences between the projects, but despite the lack of Chapter 3 due to Konami pulling the rug, Kojima made the game he wanted.
The lacking storyline (and story progression), mute Snake, few cutscenes, that damn awkward "exchange" between Snake and Skullface on the Jeep ...

Rushed ending aside, It's all on Kojima. It was there by design.

So when he tells us his follow up game has an even more barren landscape, where you pass more time by yourself, of course some people will be worried if the storytelling in MGS V was a fluke or not

Rimkrak

Oct 26, 2017
I understand the development differences between the projects, but despite the lack of Chapter 3 due to Konami pulling the rug, Kojima made the game he wanted.
The lacking storyline (and story progression), mute Snake, few cutscenes, that damn awkward "exchange" between Snake and Skullface on the Jeep ...

Rushed ending aside, It's all on Kojima. It was there by design.

So when he tells us his follow up game has an even more barren landscape, where you pass more time by yourself, of course some people will be worried if the storytelling in MGS V was a fluke or not
I get that, but the choices you mention in MGSV kinda made sense, in the end you understand why Venom is almost mute. Skullface, well I won't defend him because it's understanstable that most people don't like the character and that infamous exposition scene is imo due to the "one shot" (self imposed) limitation. I didn't find the storyline lacking, it's not for everyone that most of the important plot points were on tapes that you had to listen to while playing, I get that, but the story was there (I personnaly liked it, even though I completely agree it could have been more developped).

For the cutscenes I wouldn't worry too much, just the trailers gave us more cutscenes than the entirety of MGSV, and unlike MGSV, it is obvious that the trailers don't contain the entirety of the cutscenes.

I don't know. If I were to worry about DS, it wouldn't be comparatively to MGSV, or because I'd worry about the gameplay (in a Kojima game lol), I would worry that the game's story and universe would be too "out there" for most people, which would make them dislike the game in its entirety, even if they like the gameplay (a la MGSV now that I think about it)

Feb 10, 2018
Looks pretty standard for a current gen open world game. Hopefully the gameplay activities are fun and varried. Being kojima I'm confident the story and world will be good. I had the same concern with days gone and turned out to be correct, hopefully history won't repeat itself.

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Looks pretty standard for a current gen open world game. Hopefully the gameplay activities are fun and varried. Being kojima I'm confident the story and world will be good. I had the same concern with days gone and turned out to be correct, hopefully history won't repeat itself.
i don't think this post can be any more of a concern troll post even if you tried. peak stuff, this.

Feb 10, 2018
this game looks like a bunch of nothing
Feel like if you've seen one screenshot, you have seen them all.
It all looks very pretty, but this game has still yet to convince me
No doubt the game is going to be a visual stunner. I'm just concerned over the gameplay they had shown in that trailer. The fighting and running just seemed clunky to me. I'm hoping it was just a bad choice of footage. Still going to wait for reviews before diving in, but im definitely still interested!
so what do you DO in this
I'm digging the diverse outfits to deck Norman (I'll always call him that, even in-game).

But man do I get the feeling this big ol' world doesn't have much to do.
😂 Agreed. It's hard to get amped from all this talk. They've yet too show what will make the game fun to play

Seems like quite a few people share similar opinions to me.

But... Its concern Trolling.. Right.

Rimkrak

Oct 26, 2017
Seems like quite a few people share similar opinions to me.

But... Its concern Trolling.. Right.
All these posts are from a thread about the still images Kojima posts on his twitter that from the beginning have always been Sam doing nothing, alone in the screenshot in the wild. If not concern trolling , it's still a bit suspicious that all these posts base their "nothing to do in this barren game" opinion on these screenshots that voluntarily show nothing, and when you mention the gameplay that has already been shown and or explained, nobody answers anymore. But anyway, everyone is entitled to their opinion so :)

Oct 26, 2017
Still looks like a hiking simulator to me at this point, but I imagine the game will turn out fine. Not sure if showing off these screenshots does the game any favors though.

Feb 10, 2018
All these posts are from a thread about the still images Kojima posts on his twitter that from the beginning have always been Sam doing nothing, alone in the screenshot in the wild. If not concern trolling , it's still a bit suspicious that all these posts base their "nothing to do in this barren game" opinion on these screenshots that voluntarily show nothing, and when you mention the gameplay that has already been shown and or explained, nobody answers anymore. But anyway, everyone is entitled to their opinion so :)

At least I specifically say what I don't know about, regarding this game. If you don't know what a game entails how can one not be concerned, it's madness.

Its one of the most stupid things to just act on blind faith.

It's like people are like "say nothing but praise on this game or if you don't think this you are a troll"
This is the most blantent demonstration of fanboyisum I've ever seen.

Rimkrak

Oct 26, 2017
At least I specifically say what I don't know about, regarding this game. If you don't know what a game entails how can one not be concerned, it's madness.

It's like people are like "say nothing but praise on this game or if you don't think this you are a troll"
I'm not saying and have never said people aren't allowed to be concerned and express their opinion, I even say it again in the post you quote.
What kinda amuses me is when people express concerns over specific points (what do you do/arren/nothing), and you point them to all the gameplay elements that have been shown and /or explained already, but seemingly they don't read you and only concentrate on the screens from Kojima that are here to show only stills of sam doing nothing.
We know what the game entails, so no madness here sir :)

Edit : what's also funny is that you say "Being Kojima I know the story will be good", but then you express concerns over gameplay. When is the last time Kojima made a game with bad gameplay? And the last time he made a game with a bad story? Imo the latter has more examples than the former, and the story in DS is shaping up just fine for me

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

What "act" are you supposed to be taking though? No one is asking you to do anything, no faith is required. You don't have to like the game, but it's also really trollish to say "Wow! Kojima posted a picture of sitting on Twitter so I guess that's the entire game!"

The person who gave you the middle finger gif (ActWan) was out of line, but they don't represent the entire fanbase.

Last edited:

Cosmo Kramer

Prophet of Regret - Chicken Chaser
Oct 28, 2017
México
What are the odds on Kojima pulling another MGS2 on us? I've been seeing his posts on IG and Twitter and i think to myself, maybe he wants to deceive us.

Rimkrak

Oct 26, 2017
What are the odds on Kojima pulling another MGS2 on us? I've been seeing his posts on IG and Twitter and i think to myself, maybe he wants to deceive us.
Yeah I think we're gonna have a Tanker situation with DS, but like a different one.
I checked a theory on youtube that thinks that the twist may be that the situation the trailers are in (Sam being able to sense the BT and not see them, he's constantly scared and cries when they are near) is not gonna last long, and that he might end up with new abilities that allow him to fight the BT and not be scared of them, and see them without a BB, effectively changing the hole gameplay systems and loop, and that it might not necesseraly in the very last part of the game. It's actually a well constructed theory and a good rabbit hole to explore since they rovide elements that greatly reinforce it

Cosmo Kramer

Prophet of Regret - Chicken Chaser
Oct 28, 2017
México
I certainly hooe the game is more than open fields and crazy mechanics, i mean i'll be there day one, it's Kojima.