• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
k2KwXwn.jpg

Death Stranding
Death Stritting

Caped Baldy

Dec 11, 2017
I am so simultaneously hyped and scared for this game. Looks beautiful, and the story appears to be just the right kind of "fucking bananas" that I've come to expect from Kojima.

However....Can we please see something in the gameplay other than being a in fucking field, please? Sitting in a field. Running in a field. Driving in a field. Punching the occasional enemy in a field. Placing ladders to cross from one field to another field. Has there been even one screenshot, not of a cinematic, where something is going on indoors? It would be a nice change of pace.

closer

Oct 25, 2017
I am so simultaneously hyped and scared for this game. Looks beautiful, and the story appears to be just the right kind of "fucking bananas" that I've come to expect from Kojima.

However....Can we please see something in the gameplay other than being a in fucking field, please? Sitting in a field. Running in a field. Driving in a field. Punching the occasional enemy in a field. Placing ladders to cross from one field to another field. Has there been even one screenshot, not of a cinematic, where something is going on indoors? It would be a nice change of pace.

check out the recent trailers

oh wait I guess it kind of doesn't rate to ur standard since reedus leaves the building immediately lol
I'm sure there will be indoor gameplay in the game tho

Last edited:

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
I wonder what they'll show during GC. It's going to be in that live conference apparently, so I'm thinking it could actually be an unedited gameplay demonstration showing some of the gameplay loop.

As in, I'm fine the way I am, but I'm also dying to see more, so either approach I'm happy with.
Right but do we know if it's dynamic or connected to story segments?
I'd be surprised if they don't take advantage of a dynamic weather system for the rain at least, especially as HZD's Decima Engine build already supported it.

I really doubt rain gets relegated to story segments (although for sure the game's going to choose story portions locked with rain), especially as it seems like it has some gameplay effects, like maybe affecting the behaviour of some enemies. Regarding snow and the like, I feel like it'll be there in those regions supporting those weather conditions.

We haven't seen nightime yet come to think of it, or am I wrong?

May 18, 2018
I think it will be divisive. There will be people disappointed it's not an MGS game or a shootbang game. There will be people who mock it for not revolutionizing the entire medium of video games (which is a fake expectation made up by trolls, but you can still expect to see a bunch of those posts). I think the people who simply enjoy it on its own terms will find it to be an unique, affecting, and invigorating game.

I expect I'll be in the latter. Can't wait!

Caped Baldy

Dec 11, 2017
check out the recent trailers

oh wait I guess it kind of doesn't rate to ur standard since reedus leaves the building immediately lol
I'm sure there will be indoor gameplay in the game tho

lol sorry, I know it sounds like a nitpicky thing. Not trying to be negative, I'm just basing my hype level on what we've seen so far.

I've watched all of the recent trailers. It's not so much about him being outdoors all the time that bothers me, it's that I haven't felt like we've seen a huge diversity in what we'll be doing.

It's probably not like this situation at all, but I remember feeling this way with No Man's Sky. All of the pre-release trailers were pretty much just Discover/scan stuff-->Obtain resources with magic ray gun-->Build stuff-->Hop in spaceship and fly away. I was like, "Is this it? Is this the whole gameplay loop?" And yeah, it turned out to be exactly that.

I'm worried that this game will be cross a field-->cutscene-->cross a field with more obstacles-->cutscene-->cross a field with a heavy backpack, obstacles, and baddies-->cutscene

Sometimes developers hold back on showing gameplay because you know what you're going to get. GTA will involve a lot of driving, and shooting, and running around a re-creation of a real world city. MGS will involve sneaking, and gadgets, and shooting as well. Death Stranding is new, and looks like a different direction than what we're used to from Kojima. Of course, it could very well just be MGS with babies. That would be fine too.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017

We've seen forests, rocky cliffs, snowy mountains, ruined buildings, the various war settings, etc

closer

Oct 25, 2017
lol sorry, I know it sounds like a nitpicky thing. Not trying to be negative, I'm just basing my hype level on what we've seen so far.

I've watched all of the recent trailers. It's not so much about him being outdoors all the time that bothers me, it's that I haven't felt like we've seen a huge diversity in what we'll be doing.

It's probably not like this situation at all, but I remember feeling this way with No Man's Sky. All of the pre-release trailers were pretty much just Discover/scan stuff-->Obtain resources with magic ray gun-->Build stuff-->Hop in spaceship and fly away. I was like, "Is this it? Is this the whole gameplay loop?" And yeah, it turned out to be exactly that.

I'm worried that this game will be cross a field-->cutscene-->cross a field with more obstacles-->cutscene-->cross a field with a heavy backpack, obstacles, and baddies-->cutscene

Sometimes developers hold back on showing gameplay because you know what you're going to get. GTA will involve a lot of driving, and shooting, and running around a re-creation of a real world city. MGS will involve sneaking, and gadgets, and shooting as well. Death Stranding is new, and looks like a different direction than what we're used to from Kojima. Of course, it could very well just be MGS with babies. That would be fine too.

yeah I think reigning in the hype is totally healthy, nothing wrong with it. It is completely logical to not trust this game based on what has been shown. at the same time, there are also a lot of ppl who treat the trailers and etc. as these gospel-like primary sources, which is also weird. but yeah I don't think it's wrong at all to be suspicious of this game

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Feel you on NMS. It was obvious from the very first trailer that it would not be a good game.

I think it's a healthy concern to have for DS as well, but keep in mind that framing of gameplay plays a huge role in how a game resonates. For example in Journey all you do is walk, but that is dressed in such a way that the game becomes quite profound. NMS didn't have such framing for its gameplay, it was just some shit that you could do over and over for no reason.

Given all the story and aesthetics that we have sen thus far, I expect that whatever gameplay DS uses will exist in a cohesive context that makes for an impactful experience. But you are right that it probably will not be typical running around and attacking people.

Prefty

Banned
Jun 4, 2019
MGS3 vibes with the last image, reminds me of Snake camouflage suits, oh boy, lets get into the kojima hype train

s52hf7buqa3z.png

Demacabre

Nov 20, 2017
Where's all the watch tower like structures for me to climb to get the map and busywork markers? I need to see the optional buggycar race in the distance dammit.

Preorder cancelled /s