• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Vela

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 16, 2018
UPDATE: 3 expansion packs

ss_8320f870f551f5a16c0a10828b529ad940ebcffb.1920x1080.jpg

Bumping this for gaming side news:

Release date: 27.11.2018.

Also season pass, on sale currently.

GOG: https://www.gog.com/game/battletech_season_pass

During Gamescom, the German gaming outlet gamestar.de had a chat with Mitch Gitelman from Harebrained Schemes about the expansion pack. Here are some tidbits translated from German via the Paradox forums:

1. DLC is designed for veterans of the vanilla campaign and expands upon the sandbox portion of the game
2. Features chains of up to 5 missions that are procedurally generated and are compared to episodes of a tv series (ie mini campaigns).
3. Missions will feature story branching and are partly based on player input.
4. Rare weapons and equipment will be offered as rewards for successfully completing Flashpoint mini campaigns
5. You will be able to ally with major powers in order to enjoy shop discounts and access to rare inventory; pilots with criminal background get access to black market goods.
6. Tonnage limits for mechs will be introduced into missions so players will be forced to utilize additional types of mechs instead of just rolling out assaults 24/7.
7. Morale system is being expanded upon with possible new options
8. 1 new map, 3 new mechs, and at least 1 additional mission type known as "Target Acquisition" where light/medium mechs will be needed as you have a time limit to complete set objectives.
9. Alien flora/fauna will be introduced into maps and will provide unknown effects on gameplay
10. 4th Succession War is apparently the next dlc planned after this
11. Price is listed at 20 Euros (around $25 American)

Regarding future directions of the Battletech series and how it is to work with Paradox now:

Mitch thinks that he has a good idea what content fans want to see in Battletech. HBS already has plans for the next two expansions after Flashpoints.
  • Listening to their fans is very important for HBS. Every feature of Flashpoints is a reaction to fan feedback and many of those are something HBS wanted to do anyway. A system similar to Flashpoints was considered during development but not implemented due to time constraints.
  • Time and especially money were frequent issues for HBS before they joined Paradox. During the development of Battletech they had multiple vacant management positions which are now finally filled. Another problem they had as independent developers is that they could never afford to get decent support from the Unity devs. But thanks to Paradox they get access to premium support, which means that they can simply call Unity and get help immediately. Overall Mitch is very happy about joining Paradox.
  • HBS haven't settled on supporting the game for X years but if the game stays successful they are interested in supporting it in the long term. "If the fans want to have the entire Battletech universe in the game them I'm ready to do it. You just need to give us enough time!"
  • Mitch fell in love with system-based, procedural gameplay. Instead of designing a story and letting a player go through it he's now much more interested in stories that each player creates and experiences for themselves. This will be an important element going forward.
  • Mitch doesn't like the idea of sequels that are just bigger than the first title. He already has plans for Battletech 2 but its focus will be more about a change in perspective rather than simply more content. So instead of playing as a mercenary you would get to see the setting through someone else's eyes.
  • The new "Target Acquisition" mission type will have turn limits to encourage the use of light and medium mechs, which was one of the fan requests. Adding additional risk to those missions is intended but Mitch isn't worried that fans will dislike it as much as the timed missions in XCOM 2. The reason is that Battletech is less lethal than XCOM so it's unlikely that you lose a mech or pilot after a single mistake.
For those who haven't seen the announcement trailer

Last edited:

LabRat

Mar 16, 2018
i'm happy for battletech fans, but does this mean they won't make any shadowrun games anymore? :(

Deleted member 2507

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ah, great, good, interesting.

Nominally, the DLC sounds good, though it feels like a lot of that stuff really should've been in the base game, part of the campaign missions. Indeed this is often an issue with DLC and expansions for any game, improvements are not ported to base games. As it is, light 'Mechs are largely worthless and mediums dubious once you get heavier equipment, and while tonnage limits and mission objectives do make them more useful, this will only apply to DLC missions.

The Fourth Succession War being next DLC sound extremely interesting, and hopefully is true. I'd imagine it will be pretty big expansion though, new campaign rather than just content additions.

The sequel POV-talk is also interesting, though i worry it will be poorly received. Mercenaries are very often a big draw in BattleTech while being neutral, whereas factions tend to be divisive, in good and bad. Suppose the POV would be the Capellan Confederation, who are often treated as villains in BT and are generally one of the less liked factions, not sure it would draw interest. On the other hand, the Federated Suns is popular but it tends to lead to "fuck yeah, space-Americans", no, "fuck yeah, space-Anglo-French*-monarchy saves the day once again". Though i guess HBS is aware of this, and will work either to correct generic perceptions or work around them otherwise.
Of course, it is quite possible Mitch is hinting at the sequel being from Clan perspective...

*yes, FedSuns cultural origins are England and France in BattleTech, presumably for intentional irony and/or historical allusion. Amusingly, BattleTech is a scifi franchise where space-Americans don't actually exists, at least not in the mainstream time setting during Third Succession War and onward, as American colonies got wiped out during the Succession Wars.

Deleted member 2507

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How large is HBS? Can they support two dev teams at once?
I'd imagine with help from Paradox, they eventually might, and if so, i could see them returning to Shadowrun. For now, i expect them to keep working on BattleTech, keep the momentum, and it helps that Mechwarrior V is coming next year too.

Kaffeemann

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Battletech has so much potential.
I think the core mechanics (moving, equiping mechs, combat...) are already better than in XCOM2. If HBS keep working on it could become a true masterpiece.

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
As far as we know Microsoft gets the Battletech and MechWarrior rights back, or at least contracts go up for negotiation, in 2020 so I think it'd be reasonable to expect a BT sequel by then.

i'm happy for battletech fans, but does this mean they won't make any shadowrun games anymore? :(

Shadowrun IP (for games) is back with Microsoft.

Breqesk

Oct 28, 2017
As far as we know Microsoft gets the Battletech and MechWarrior rights back, or at least contracts go up for negotiation, in 2020 so I think it'd be reasonable to expect a BT sequel then.

Shadowrun IP (for games) is back with Microsoft.
I thought it was always with Microsoft; HBS just licensed it for non-console games, didn't they? Have Microsoft indicated that they'd be unwilling to let them use the license again?

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Can't wait. Played the game for 125 hours so far. Finished it a long time ago and still doing a rnd mission from time to time.

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
I thought it was always with Microsoft; HBS just licensed it for non-console games, didn't they? Have Microsoft indicated that they'd be unwilling to let them use the license again?

FASA IP was sublicensed by Microsoft to Jordan Weisman (for certain platforms) back in 2007 but after his company dissolved a couple years later the rights were split with Piranha Games getting MW/BT and Weisman keeping the rest. Bunch more stuff happened between then but we know in late 2013 Piranha renewed that license with Microsoft until mid-2018 with an extension clause until mid-2020 to develop with the IP.

As far as we know the other FASA IP did not get that extension and returned to MS in 2015 (coincidentally right around when Shadowrun Hong Kong released). We know that MS was taking Shadowrun pitches as of last year.

Last edited:

Deleted member 2507

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Presumably the BT/Mechwarrior license extension happened, given that MWV is next year and BattleTech is getting DLC and support.

Breqesk

Oct 28, 2017
FASA IP was sublicensed by Microsoft to Jordan Weisman (for certain platforms) back in 2007 but after his company dissolved a couple years later the rights were split with Piranha Games getting MW/BT and Weisman keeping the rest. Bunch more stuff happened between then but we know in late 2013 Piranha renewed that license with Microsoft until mid-2018 with an extension clause until mid-2020 to develop with the IP.

As far as we know the other FASA IP did not get that extension and returned to MS in 2015 (coincidentally right around when Shadowrun Hong Kong released). We know that MS was taking Shadowrun pitches as of last year.
Ah, thanks. So, if Piranha still has MW/BT, how'd HBS get permission to make their recent BattleTech game? (Sorry if this sounds argumentative, it's not meant to--this stuff is just kinda over my head.)

I really hope HBS get the chance to do more with Shadowrun at some point, even if it's still limited to non-console platforms, and secondary to some big budget AAA Microsoft project. Dragonfall and Hong Kong are some of my all-time favourite RPGs.

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Ah, thanks. So, if Piranha still has MW/BT, how'd HBS get permission to make their recent BattleTech game? (Sorry if this sounds argumentative, it's not meant to--this stuff is just kinda over my head.)

They have a partnership with Piranha Games (also using their Mech designs for BT) to use the license.

Breqesk

Oct 28, 2017
No problem.

Now that the shadow of Harmony Gold has finally been lifted from the franchise I'm especially curious where it ends up.
I mean, if I had my way they'd make a spin-off wholly based around LAMs...

But, uh, that speaks more to my Macross obsession than any carefully considered thought about what'd be a good use of resources when it comes to actually appealing to BattleTech fans.

Deleted member 2507

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No problem.

Now that the shadow of Harmony Gold has finally been lifted from the franchise I'm especially curious where it ends up.
Ultimately all HG ever caused was to limit the use of the unseen.
Might end up nowhere anyhow.

On video game side, BT in HBS hands is likely in reasonable hands. As for PGI... I don't have high expectations. MWV is likely passable but i'm skeptical it will be actually good, at least not at first. But i very much doubt either will do anything but games, re-treading old territory and sticking to 31st century wars.
Amusingly, BT is actually split IP, with an electronic copy and non-electronic copy. PGI and HBS could take things into wild directions if they wished.

On tabletop side, it will likely limp along no matter what. Timeline's moving on... slowly and not surely, but the intent's there, unfortunately it will take a long time most likely. I'm doubtful the new box set (once it is out, it got slightly delayed for whatever reason) will truly bring new players but perhaps it will keep things afloat.

I mean, if I had my way they'd make a spin-off wholly based around LAMs...

But, uh, that speaks more to my Macross obsession than any carefully considered thought about what'd be a good use of resources when it comes to actually appealing to BattleTech fans.
Doubt those things will appear again in either iteration of BT IP.
On current video game side, they'd be way too anime-ish considering the current modern aesthetic.
On tabletop side, they're dead and buried in-canon circa 3085, and even the newest rules are so hotly contested... well, i don't think Catalyst wants to really do anything with them anymore.

Both versions have the usability problem: the LAMs are a strategic asset more so than anything else, as usual with hybrid machines, suffering from weakness of both their parents without having strengths of either.
Balancing their gameplay is extremely difficult. For BattleTech strategy game, there would need to be playable aerospace assets, and for MechWarrior it would require quite involved controls and mission and AI design.

Last edited:

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Ultimately all HG ever caused was to limit the use of the unseen.
Might end up nowhere anyhow.

Sorry, I meant to say the older titles. The threat of folk coming after the older games because of the Unseen seemed to put them off the map for rereleases.

Amusingly, BT is actually split IP, with an electronic copy and non-electronic copy. PGI and HBS could take things into wild directions if they wished.

Yeah, just seeing the hoops HBS had to jump through to offer physical Kickstarter rewards showed what a mess everything can still be with that branch.

MWV is a big unknown for me. I want nothing more than to have an amazing return to mech simulation but MW:O does give me a little trepidation.

Deleted member 2507

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sorry, I meant to say the older titles. The threat of folk coming after the older games because of the Unseen seemed to put them off the map for rereleases.
We'd be looking at the oldest ones then. Don't think MW3 and 4 have unseen.

MechCommanders and MechWarrior IV and MechAssaults would be relatively easy to re-release if Microsoft has any interest. So far none, despite MechWarrior being very wished-for game on GOG for example.

Now, i can't be sure but i have vague recollection of MW2 and MW3 being extremely problematic. Lost source codes, rights issues (MW3 at least was published by Activision IIRC), stuff like that.
And MW1 is just so old... I highly doubt anyone but most hardcore fans care. Floats around as abandonware anyhow.

Not sure about the Crescent Hawks games or others, if there are any. Most likely it hinges on Microsoft, but given that they don't seem to be interested re-releasing their newer games, i can't see them bothering with even with older ones without issues.

TC McQueen

Oct 27, 2017
I think the core mechanics (moving, equiping mechs, combat...) are already better than in XCOM2.
There are some bits of Battletech's gameplay that might be better than XCOM 2's gameplay mechanics, but as an experience, Battletech is way worse. And this is coming from a guy who ground out 200+ hours into beating the game... although the fact that it took 200+ hours to do it, due to a lot of shit balance decisions (looking at you, 18% sale value in shops) and the god awful disconnect between skulls and actual mission difficulty, is damning in itself.

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
We'd be looking at the oldest ones then. Don't think MW3 and 4 have unseen

Yeah, I'm pining mostly for MW2.

MechCommanders and MechWarrior IV and MechAssaults would be relatively easy to re-release if Microsoft has any interest. So far none, despite MechWarrior being very wished-for game on GOG for example.

We know that, at the very least, MechAssault has been looked into for backwards compatibility on Xbox One (seemingly with little prospects of it happening). If contracts aren't renewed hopefully there's someone at MS with plans to partner with someone like Nightdive to try and get those at least some of those older games out there again.

Deleted member 2507

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well, BC is a bit different from a re-release. Though i reckon that with BC it would become available in the store, and MS could gauge its popularity. Combine with potential of HBS BT and MWV, there is some potential future for re-releases. But i'm skeptical, given how MS has been sleeping on the IP for so long.

As for MW2, looks like it was developed and published by Activision... which would make rights tricky very likely. Yes, MS owns the IP, but that doesn't mean they have rights to other relevant stuff. If i only i recalled properly the state of MW2 and 3, i'm certain i read something reasonably solid about them a couple of years back.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US

Well, if it's MS, then we'll probably have another take on MP Shadowrun full on GaaS, etc... There is nothing wrong with that, but I"d love another HBS RPG with newer engine and more resources from Paradox.

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Well, BC is a bit different from a re-release. Though i reckon that with BC it would become available in the store, and MS could gauge its popularity. Combine with potential of HBS BT and MWV, there is some potential future for re-releases. But i'm skeptical, given how MS has been sleeping on the IP for so long.

I wonder if they are even allowed to do anything with those older games while the IP is licensed out. They did retain the non-Windows rights before handing them off to Infinite Games Publishing (then leading to Piranha getting them when they brought everything back from IGP) so not everything was initially given to Wiseman.

Actually, speaking of other platforms I wonder if the mobile rights came back to MS by now. Last I recall they were off with a Singapore mobile dev.

Deleted member 2507

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if they are even allowed to do anything with those older games while the IP is licensed out. They did retain the non-Windows rights before handing them off to Infinite Games Publishing (then leading to Piranha getting them when they brought everything back from IGP) so not everything was initially given to Wiseman.

Actually, speaking of other platforms I wonder if the mobile rights came back to MS by now. Last I recall they were off with a Singapore mobile dev.
Ah, could be one reason. Then again, i don't see why they could work with PGI to get older titles re-released. Not really competition to newer games, i think, but then again i don't think corporate.

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
The potential this brings is super exciting. Just looking at a mod like RogueTech and if they just provide the content that can be pulled to expand that mod would be worth the time and money alone.

chobel

Attempting to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
BT is good but can we have a Shadowrun game next time instead? I really loved Dragonfall and Hong Kong.

QFNS

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
People asking about Shadowrun should consider that the dudes at Paradox who do a very interesting and frank podcast about Paradox's business side, said that part of the reason they acquired HBS was that they had experience in areas that Paradox as a whole did not (ie single player RPGs). Paradox as a publisher are not stupid and they know that they can't build an entire company out of one business model (the Grand Strategy on-going support one they have been using). If they want to expand then eventually they will need to branch out into other stuff. They talk very frankly about this stuff and all their episodes are on youtube for those interested.

I wouldn't expect any Shadowrun stuff soon, but I suspect it isn't gone forever.

CenturionNami

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
What kind of Alien Fauna is in battletech? Giant Crabs or something?

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
People asking about Shadowrun should consider that the dudes at Paradox who do a very interesting and frank podcast about Paradox's business side

Love their show. The initial talk about why they passed on World of Tanks and Rocket League was fascinating.

But even in that episode they talked about wanting to have Harebrained Schemes work on IP (old and new) that they own to build up their brands. Wouldn't expect to see them try and relicense Shadowrun from Microsoft because of that.

Last edited:

Muad'dib

Banned
Jun 7, 2018
Fantastic news all around especially regarding the new procedural generation. Tho I hope that doesn't come at the expense of a well crafted story.

Tonnage limits on dropships should've been there from the get go, but glad it's coming nonetheless.

OP
OP
Vela

Vela

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 16, 2018
whoa that's pretty swell. Urban warfare? New mechs? Summer 2019? And then a third expansion at some point? That's pretty sweet. I'll definitely pick it up immediately!

Tu101uk

Oct 27, 2017
London, UK
The main campaign felt a tiny bit too short (even though it was cool and slightly challenging), so I was hoping for more end-game stuff. I caught the stream with some of the Flashpoint stuff and new mechs, hopefully more to come in the future!

Deleted member 2507

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The main campaign felt a tiny bit too short (even though it was cool and slightly challenging), so I was hoping for more end-game stuff. I caught the stream with some of the Flashpoint stuff and new mechs, hopefully more to come in the future!
Do note the "flashpoints" aren't integrated into the campaign itself, but IIRC they won't be purely end-game stuff either.

Also, there's a "career" mode coming in patch (for free) that gives you 1200 days to get as high score as you can (and you're free to continue even afterwards), this mode has no campaign.