• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
I posted this on the reveal thread, but thought it could use a new thread since most people might ignore that one.

Disclaimer: English is my second language and both Alex and Wilson have heavy accents. So I may have gotten some of the names wrong. I would welcome any corrections on that.
  • Base team that worked on DMC5 from pre-production was made of 4 individuals:
  1. Wilson - Designed the entire art/design pipeline for DMC5
  2. Nagaki (?) - Character lead
  3. Koki Kinoshita (thank you Sesha ) - Art lead
  4. Itsuno - Director
  • Wilson made all base models for monsters and bosses
  • Then they outsourced high-poly 3D models
  • When they got high-poly models back they did a test scene. Put all the high-poly models next to each other.
  • Matt mentions Goliath being one of them (the big horn dude in the trailer).
  • All of the bosses (and characters) were in that scene as well and Matt makes a remark about how bosses got bigger and bigger size wise. They say the scale is incredible.
  • Alex works under Daigo Ikeno. He says it's great because Ikeno doesn't give him too much feedback on his work so he has a lot of freedom.
  • One word Ikeno uses a lot apparently is "slick". Alex says early on Ikeno looked at his works and told him to make it more slick and Alex was wondering what the hell that means (lol). Tho he says he understands now.
  • Alex worked on Nero's van for a whole year.
  • They describe van as a character not a vehicle. As in it was made by people that made the character models cause the environment modelers said it was a character so the character designers had to work on it not them lol
  • They stress that there are a lot of details in the van.
  • Alex says the game was so visually impressive that he often asked Nagaki (Yumei Nagaki?) "are we gonna tone this down?" and he would say "no, that's in the game"
  • They are very strict on designs looking realistic. If a design didn't seem realistic enough they would go back to it until it was realistic enough.
  • Wilson's favorite Capcom game is Dragon's Dogma. He has never played a DMC game before.
  • Alex has played DMC4 and Berial fight is his favorite moment in the game.
  • Yuichiro Hiraki from DMC1 and DMC4 is back and works on DMC5 animations.
  • Alex was talking about how impressive Berial was in DMC4 with the fires and destroying houses which is when Matt says how Alex and the team have made the Goliath such an impressive boss in the DMC5 and how Goliath (as we saw in the trailer) will destroy a giant cathedral.
  • Matt also says Goliath should be considered an equivalent to Berial. Not from the point of when will you fight it in the story, but the actual design and the fight having great environment interactivity.
  • Matt mentions how the different animal faces on Goliath look great and give it a unique design.
  • They hyping up the next trailer. Saying it's gonna be amazing.
  • Nero's accessories (like his bracelet) are hand designed and not scanned. Wilson was the person who designed those.
  • The Devil May Cry blue neon sign is actually Alex' handwriting. He was surprised to see it in the trailer. Matt and Pete didn't even know it was his handwriting so they were surprised in the podcast lol
  • The neon sign was at first pink but then for some reason they decided to make it blue. (even Alex wasn't sure why lol)
  • Alex wrote 40 different versions of Devil May Cry and made 40 different versions of neon signs (he called them mini-trailers) for the trailer (holy shit!)
  • Alex added a lot of details to the van such a bunch of references to Osaka.
  • Also there stickers on the van like the name of famous racers on the windows. Those belong to Nico.
  • Alex also designed Nico's tattoos.
Here is the link to the Capcom Confidential episode.

Last edited:

Magneto

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They describe van as a character not a vehicle. As in it was made by people that made the character models cause the environment modelers said it was a character so the character designers had to work on it not them lol

What if V = Van ???

We transformers now ??

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
Everything is a character and complex motives for tatoos and beards. I am gonna say it again, this game could be the mext coming of Jesus, but good lord is the story side sounding like a pretentious piece of ass.

OP
OP
Son of Sparda

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
The van comment doesn't mean that it is actually a character lol

Since van had a lot of screen time, environment designers used that as an excuse to dump the van on character designers, so Matt and Alex joke about that in the podcast haha

So no, the van won't be moving on its own and talking to other characters. This ain't Going Merry guys.

Furisco

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Everything is a character and complex motives for tatoos and beards. I am gonna say it again, this game could be the mext coming of Jesus, but good lord is the story side sounding like a pretentious piece of ass.
Of all the games coming out, DMC5 is definitely the one that doesn't have anything pretentious about it so far.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
"They hyping up the next trailer. Saying it's gonna be amazing."

GET OMEGA HYPED FOLKS!!!

Dyashen

Dec 20, 2017
Belgium
So a DMC5 trailer at Xbox' Gamescom livestream? They did the CG AC Origins trailer last year during the livestream as well.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Loved the first look at the game and eagerly await the next!

Deleted member 17403

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wonder will there be any Nelo Angelo, Credo or Agnus style boss fights where they effectively function like duels. I prefer fighting bosses like that than huge creatures that occupy the entirety of the screen and make navigating difficult. Still, I'm interested in seeing more.

I'm really loving Capcom's passion for their next two upcoming projects.
I'm just hoping these passion projects continue. Capcom is it's best self when it cares about the games they make rather than just chasing profit and mimicking what other devices houses have done or are doing.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
Of all the games coming out, DMC5 is definitely the one that doesn't have anything pretentious about it so far.
I mean pretentious in the sort of way that some times video game writing tries to come off sophisticated with the most ham fisted way possible and thinking its smart in the process. Oh yeah, there's a story behind Dante's beard. Oh yeah, Nico's Tatoos have a super secret story about them. Oh we put so much detail into this van its a character in its own right. Like can't Dante have just grown a beard cause of time passing? Can't a van just look super cool? I mean the tats I can get, people get tattoos for symbolism, but let the tat's tell a story on its own, don't give us actual story explaining the tats.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Is Nero ever gonna get new weapons? I really want someone to ask the team about that in interviews. They never seem to touch on it.

Deleted member 11093

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean pretentious in the sort of way that some times video game writing tries to come off sophisticated with the most ham fisted way possible and thinking its smart in the process. Oh yeah, there's a story behind Dante's beard. Oh yeah, Nico's Tatoos have a super secret story about them. Oh we put so much detail into this van its a character in its own right. Like can't Dante have just grown a beard cause of time passing? Can't a van just look super cool? I mean the tats I can get, people get tattoos for symbolism, but let the tat's tell a story on its own, don't give us actual story explaining the tats.
If you think DMC5 is pretentious then you should probably avoid picking up Death Stranding.

ColdVergil

Oct 25, 2017

So they can't put attention to detail because it's pretentious or trying to come off sophisticated. Alright, i've seen it all. Now people also complain about attention to detail.

What's next? Dante's moves are unrealistic? Lmao.

Will Van have a Devil Trigger?

Van van van, pull my devil trigger
tenor.gif

Defuser

Oct 25, 2017
Dmc fans : "oooh, the DMC neon sign is blue because its represents Nero's Business!"

Capcom : "uhh fuck we don't know why its blue lolz"

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Having many weapons is Dante's thing.

Nero has his own thing going, his variety will come with all the different Devil Breakers.

I need more main combo string options than just the Red Queen, and the Devil Breakers being something you can lose from taking hits isn't a good substitute.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
At least one new weapon for Nero would make me happy. Anything beyond that is a bonus, IMO.

Pretty much. I'm not asking for him to get ten weapons. But one new Devil Arm is kind of necessary - we can't be asked to stick to just one main combo string for the entire game. Even God of War knew better than that.

SaberVS7

Oct 25, 2017
Eh, Red Queen and its Gimmick sorta is a major part of Nero's identity.

Now... On another hand...

Nero should totally have Styles and switching.

Skbzi

Jun 1, 2018
Katy, TX

Now... On another hand...

Nero should totally have Styles and switching.

If they don't want to add a new DA for Nero, the least they could do is give the RQ a ton of new moves, add additional exceed slots and allow for style switching through the DBs (I think this has been confirmed).

badcrumble

Oct 25, 2017
I think people would have thought this about Alastor pre-DMC3 too (not that they're *replacing* the Red Queen).

I definitely think that any other Devil Arms Nero gets should share the Exceed/Rev/EX-Act/MAX-Act system (and ideally Exceed charges built up with one weapon can be discharged via another).

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
Hm, concerned about that comment of bosses getting bigger and bigger when those tend to be the weaker ones in Devil May Cry and character action games in general (Metal Gear Rising being the only one where I didn't mind them as much).

danmaku

Nov 5, 2017
Hm, concerned about that comment of bosses getting bigger and bigger when those tend to be the weaker ones in Devil May Cry and character action games in general (Metal Gear Rising being the only one where I didn't mind them as much).

This, I'm not a fan of giant bosses. However, the return of Vergil should provide at least one great boss fight (and maybe multiple ones!).

The Silver

Oct 28, 2017
Will well functioning Van-kun get special treatment from Nico with free upgrades or will it too be asked for KASH FURST?