• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

TheBaldwin

Feb 25, 2018
Was that some multiplayer at the end or something?

And man those cutscenes just scream last gen.

So happy we got Doom and Eternal.

4 Get!

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 8, 2019
They should have still released it but then call it an alternate universe or something in the Doom 2016/2020 lore.

Sesha

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Looks right awful. Who ever thought that would've been a good idea?

Seems like they reused some concepts and repurposed some things for Doom 2016 instead of completely scrapping anything. And the basic city concept kinda made it into Eternal.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Was this done by the same team? While it's obviously very different I feel like you can see some hints of Doom 2016

Nassudan

Oct 27, 2017
I'm always interested in "what could have been" scenarios. This cutting room floor stuff is what got me into software dev in the first place.

SirDante

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 20, 2020
Not sure about this being a cool Doom 4.. but I would still love to play it! 👍

Host Samurai

Oct 27, 2017
Glad this got scrapped. It was during some of the most homogeneous time in gaming where every series felt the need to CoD-ify they games.

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
Was this done by the same team? While it's obviously very different I feel like you can see some hints of Doom 2016

I believe it was the same team yeah, but things changed when Marty Stratton and Hugo Martin lead the reboot.

More about it in noclip's doc on 2016:

Syntsui

Oct 25, 2017
It's about time they make a Doom game set on Earth as we know it. This would have been fine and necessary.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
I'm so grateful that we wound up getting the games we got but this still looks super neat and I would have loved to see this finished up and released as a spin-off or something.

Cutebrute

Nov 8, 2017
Arkansas
I dig it. Not more than 2016 or Eternal, but it looks like a slightly more inspired take on the 2010-12 console fps. It looks like it was a step in the right direction for the franchise at the time, but we should all be thankful they decided to take a big leap instead.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I would love to play this version. Id should put it out as a bonus like when the devs of Duke 3D put out Lameduke (old version of Duke 3D).

The game reminds me a lot of Resistance.

Ocirus

Dec 4, 2017
I still would've played it, and it surely would've been disappointing. However, I'm seeing some good looking assets (at the time, not to mention still in development), some pretty good animations, and some surprising environmental interactions. There's good stuff there.

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
Man, say what you will about how it looks overall, but id's animations have always been on-point.

Interestingly, it looks like some of the city design ideas actually made their way into Doom Eternal. Albeit in much higher quality.

NDA-Man

Mar 23, 2020
I don't think it looks bad. While obviously it is leaning heavily into COD-territory in terms of player design and in-your-face cutscenes of somebody kicking your ass, it looks perfecly functional. I'm curious if some of the behaviors we saw (imps crawling, the summoner) were supposed to be scripted sequences or they'd actually do that sorta thing in gameplay (like they do in the games we got). Like, the team obviously has great chops, the demon designs aren't that bad--this would've been a perfectly fun FPS.

Like I think we'd have gotten a fun game out of this pitch.

But...

I still think we dodged a bullet there--this looks fine, but Doom 2016 was amazing.

Max|Payne

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Was this supposed to come out before or after Rage?

I guess id didn't want to launch two similar looking games one after the other and scrapped this version of Doom for what we got instead.

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
We may be living in the "worst timeline" in a lot of ways, but when it comes to video games, we just might be living in one of the best ones.

Not that this game would be part of that "worst" one - it looks like it could've been okay - but definitely worse.

Slackerchan

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
That chaingun at the end looked pretty cool. I wish Doom Eternal had more hell on Earth stuff outside of demon-possessed urban environments but I certainly am glad this Doom 4 fell apart.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
There's another dimension where this got released and Halo 4 plays like classic Halo instead of sprint, armor abilities and CoD loadouts in MP. I don't know if I wanna live there though because the most recent Doom games are so good.

Deleted member 73264

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 28, 2020
I felt Doom 2016 was regressive in its game design and extremely overrated, but this version of the game just seemed completely unremarkable.

Nali

Oct 25, 2017
This would've been such a weird game if it'd come out. Completely removed from what DOOM was from a gameplay standpoint, but it's not like any other CoD-style modern military shooters are about demons consuming the planet.

I'm curious if some of the behaviors we saw (imps crawling, the summoner) were supposed to be scripted sequences or they'd actually do that sorta thing in gameplay (like they do in the games we got).
Rage already had a heavy emphasis on enemies having the AI and dynamic animation they needed to parkour around arbitrary environments, and I imagine they were using the same tech for Doom 4's demons at the time.

Masterz1337

Oct 25, 2017
I always like seeing cool franchises in other genres. Would have been cool to get this, but not at the expense of 2016

Oct 27, 2017
Looks right awful. Who ever thought that would've been a good idea?

Seems like they reused some concepts and repurposed some things for Doom 2016 instead of completely scrapping anything. And the basic city concept kinda made it into Eternal.

Different time. Doom 3 already drastically changed the formula so this would be both an extension of that as well as playing into popular conceptions and trends of the time. I'm glad we didn't get this.

Addleburg

The Fallen
Nov 16, 2017
It looks like it would have been a perfectly okay 7/10 game. 2016 definitely seems like it went in a better direction, though.

Dec 25, 2018
I imagine if it came out it would be known as one of those games that would have been better received not being attached to a well known IP (or even reworked as a Rage sequel/spinoff).

Still think 2016/Eternal was the way to go for Doom.