• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AgentStrange

Oct 25, 2017
Just announced on stream
https://www.twitch.tv/bethesda

Final Doom and No Rest for the Living as well
Community WADs will becoming as well
This applies to the newest releases of Doom/Doom II
- Xbox One, Switch, PS4
Coming Soon (tm)
These content updates will be free

Last edited:

Adnor

Oct 25, 2017
Sigil?? That's unexpected. It's really good, not quite as good as some megaWADs people have been doing in these 26 years, but still, good. Really pretty.

And the music is amazing.

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
Sigil is a nice addition. I wonder which soundtrack it will have. Toggle for both would be nice.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
So it's time to buy DOOM on Switch?

Deleted member 28523

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
this also means we're 100% getting a Doom 2 romero wad right? he hinted at it before and that would be so fucking awesome.

Oct 27, 2017
Fixing the aspect ratio and adding No Rest for the Living are really all that's left to make these better than the last gen ports, so I'd be happy to get that alone. Getting Sigil is just icing on the cake.

Edit:
I'd like some control tweaks too, like being able to zoom in the map and using the d-pad to quick select weapons.

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
What is Sigil for the uninitiated?

SIGIL_BothBox_MockUp_WIDE.png

Q: Why did you decide to create a megawad?

A: People have been asking me to make an entire episode for many years now, and that picked up a lot after I released E1M8B and E1M4B in 2016. Many messaged me to ask if I'd consider making a 5th episode for the 25th anniversary. So, back in 2016, that's what I decided to do. Like all other mods, it will be free. However, I also wanted to do something special, so we decided to also create an incredible package that fans would love and include an amazing soundtrack by Buckethead. Everything that's included in the fan boxes is really cool to show off, and Christopher Lovell's art is fitting for such a hellish game. The Beast Box has to be the most evil game box I've seen.

Q: What's the storyline for SIGIL since it takes place after episode 4 and before DOOM II®?

A: After killing the Spidermastermind at the end of E4M8 (Unto the Cruel), your next tour of duty is eliminating the hellspawn that is causing unimaginable carnage in Earth's cities. But Baphomet glitched the final teleporter with his hidden sigil whose eldritch power brings you back to even darker shores of Hell. You fight through this stygian pocket of evil to confront the ultimate harbingers of Satan, then finally return to become Earth's savior. In summary, rip and tear!

Q: What is a megawad?

A: A megawad is a wad made up of other wads, and a wad is a default file format for DOOM® and DOOM II®. It stands for "where's all the data?" The free version of the SIGIL megawad contains several wads that deliver the levels. In the SIGIL fan boxes, we also include Buckethead's amazing music. To make it work, you basically drag the SIGIL.WAD file onto gzdoom.exe (or gzdoom.app on a Mac). The SIGIL Megawad's numbering scheme is E5Mx where "x" is the level number 1-9. Episode Five, just after Episode Four: Thy Flesh Consumed. To play the SIGIL Megawad, you must have the registered DOOM.WAD as well.

Q: You mentioned that there's nine levels in this megawad, as well as nine deathmatch-only levels. Are there eighteen levels in the megawad?

A: Actually, there are only nine distinct level wad files. It turns out that you can put both the single- player and the deathmatch levels in the same wad. If you run the wad in deathmatch mode, you spawn in the deathmatch area of the level. If you play the SIGIL Megawad in cooperative mode, you start in the single-player part of the level. This support has been in DOOM® since the beginning.

Q: How did you create the SIGIL megawad's levels?

A: I used the incredible Doom Builder 2 by Pascal vd Heiden (with support from several other authors). You can get it at http://doombuilder.com and try making levels yourself – it's not hard to do. Doom Builder runs on Windows 10. I'm a Mac person, so I use VMFusion 11 to run Windows 10 and Doom Builder. It works really well in a virtual machine. Even testing levels while making them was lightning-fast. I press a hotkey and gzdoom launches the level and it runs over 60fps.

Q: How long did it take you to create the SIGIL megawad?

A: I worked on it part time during 2017 and 2018, mostly while I was on vacation or in the evenings. I wanted to have a surprise for DOOM's 25th anniversary. I learned a lot from E1M8B and E1M4B, so I think I did a better job this time. The boss level is terrifying. For me, making this whole episode was a labor of love and a reminder of all the amazing times that we had at id working on the original. I was fortunate to be a part of such a great team and a foundational game.

Q: Is there anything new in the SIGIL megawad's levels compared to other mods?

A: Well, I wanted the levels to feel like they belong to the original game as if they were a true fifth episode. There's more detail in the levels than episodes 1-4, but not overly so. I believe that people playing the SIGIL megawad will recognize my design style, but see new things I'm doing because this episode does not take place on a military base – it takes place in Hell, which is new to me within DOOM®'s design space. There's a massive room in E5M6 that is the coolest room I've created in any map.

Q: Why did you work with Buckethead for the music in the SIGIL megawad?

A: Buckethead has been a favorite metal guitarist of mine for a while, and I am so impressed with his output of great music. I feel like I really connect with his playing, and he liked my games as well, so it was a good match. The great MIDI-metal of the original game fit well, and Buckethead's music really works perfectly with these new maps. Buckethead has a ton of fans, and thought it would be great to show his fanbase that his music fits in with the most metal game of all time.

Q: Can you talk about working with him on this?

A: As some of you may know, Buckethead is enigmatic and elusive. Luckily, I was able to get in touch with him. He was excited about making a new song for this megawad, and having some of his amazing Pikes songs included as well. He was very easy to get along with and loves the idea of having his music playing in the background. The custom CD with his music is included in both the boxes.

Q: How did you choose the music for the levels?

A: It was a gruelling decision process to choose which Pikes to use in the SIGIL megawad. There are literally hundreds of choices to consider. The decision process came down to song length and mood. One of the levels is very dark, so I chose a super creepy song that is really different from the rest. I also like the longer songs to have fast and slow parts that might sync with the action onscreen.

Q: Are you happy with where id Software has taken the series?

A: Absolutely. I think DOOM 2016 was an amazing game and deserving of every one of the accolades it got. The team at id is really doing a fantastic job with it, and like everyone else, I am looking forward to DOOM Eternal. To be clear, I don't have anything to do with either of these games. I'm just a fan like everyone else!

Q: Are you in touch with the original DOOM® team?

A: Yes, we talk from time to time. I see Adrian a fair bit since he has a place here in Ireland (The Heritage in Killenard). I also talk with Tom (Hall) and American (McGee) every once in a while. I'm in contact with John where there's something specific that we both have interest in.

Q: Looking back on 25 years of history, what do you think is DOOM®'s legacy?

A: I don't think any of us knew that DOOM® would have the impact that it has had. That people were asking me to make a full episode more than 23 years later? Genuinely, it's an incredible honor. Aside from the impact it had on what would become the FPS genre, I believe the most important legacy of DOOM® is its community, the people who have kept it alive for 25 years through the creation of mods and tools. It's not at all lost on me that I have gone from a creator to a part of the community in that space of time, and I love that. My whole life has been about games, and if I hadn't been a part of DOOM®'s creation, I would have absolutely been a hardcore member of its community. Another thing that's been wonderful for me is a story I've been hearing a lot lately when I meet fans at tech conferences — they talk about having grown up playing DOOM® with their moms or dads and saying what wonderful memories they have. It's a sign of DOOM®'s age, for certain, but it's also a sign of its longevity. There are also so many people who got into tech because of DOOM®.

Q: Are you working on anything else?

A: Of course, and it will be done when it's done. :)

Tatsu91

Banned
Apr 7, 2019
Just announced on stream
https://www.twitch.tv/bethesda

Final Doom and No Rest for the Living as well
Community WADs will becoming as well
This applies to the newest releases of Doom/Doom II
- Xbox One, Switch, PS4
Coming Soon (tm)
These content updates will be free
Community wads? Does this mean we can pick and choose from the ID games database or is it a selection they choose? Need answers

Refyref

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
That's great! Fixes are needed, and it's good that they're here. Final Doom was the one game sorely missing from the classic Doom line-up once 64 was announced, and No Rest for the Living is really good, and I thought that it was a shame that it wasn't in these ports. Sigil is nice, although not as important as the previous two.
Community WADs could be great, although it could mean many things. Technically, Master Levels for Doom II counts as community levels! But I'm expecting them to include some classic megaWADs, mostly older ones, as many modern mods require limit-removing source ports, and I highly doubt this port is even BOOM-compatible.
That being said, IIRC, these ports still have some audio issues, and going by that list, I fear that they didn't fix them

OP
OP
AgentStrange

AgentStrange

Oct 25, 2017
That's great! Fixes are needed, and it's good that they're here. Final Doom was the one game sorely missing from the classic Doom line-up once 64 was announced, and No Rest for the Living is really good, and I thought that it was a shame that it wasn't in these ports. Sigil is nice, although not as important as the previous two.
Community WADs could be great, although it could mean many things. Technically, Master Levels for Doom II counts as community levels! But I'm expecting them to include some classic megaWADs, mostly older ones, as many modern mods require limit-removing source ports, and I highly doubt this port is even BOOM-compatible.
That being said, IIRC, these ports still have some audio issues, and going by that list, I fear that they didn't fix them

That's just the highlights. Quality of life updates will be made as well. They did not mention audio specifically though.

Oct 25, 2017
Devil Halton's Trap
"Community mods" is such an ill-defined promise here. Bethesda and the port developers really ought to find a means for easily loading WADs/PK3s into a compatible environment, even if that means building beyond vanilla limits. It's easier to run the latest greatest Doom creations on Android or Switch homebrew AFAIK now than to deal with official ports as they are.

Also, real talk, Final Doom needs and deserves the Plutonia Community MIDI Pack. All that music makes a huge difference in how much I enjoy an already great megawad.

GreenMamba

Oct 25, 2017
Oh shit, Final Doom, was waiting for that. TNT Evilution is probably my favorite official classic doom level set.

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
Gonna have to buy Doom 1 again.

Still, so fucking awesome of Bethesda. Was expecting Final Doom to be a separate release if it was coming at all.

Now give us a new episode with Doom 64 and Doom Maker!

Refyref

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
"Community mods" is such an ill-defined promise here. Bethesda and the port developers really ought to find a means for easily loading WADs/PK3s into a compatible environment, even if that means building beyond vanilla limits. It's easier to run the latest greatest Doom creations on Android or Switch homebrew AFAIK now than to deal with official ports as they are.
That's never going to happen, loading custom files directly onto consoles is something console manufacturers would not like at all. The most that could happen would be them opening a site allowing people to upload mods, and ones that fulfill their requirements could be loaded through an in-game mod browser, sort of like how Skyrim mods on consoles is handled. And even then, there is no point for PK3s when this port is likely strictly vanilla.
But it doesn't really matter, they specifically said that there will be "handpicked community mods".

Last edited:

Ionic

Oct 31, 2017
Sigil got quite a bit of flack due to its difficulty when it released. It's a wad really made for people very familiar with how to play Doom (though patches have eased up on the difficulty a tiny bit). I think it's incredibly tightly designed and recommend nothing less than attempting pistol start + all kills and all secrets. On Ultra Violence it will chew you out quite a few times, but you will be a better Doom player for it. The levels are very satisfying. Now, for user wads I hope they include some of the famous map packs. The levels in Doom and Doom 2 were outclassed by the community within a few years.

Catvoca

Oct 25, 2017
Man that's awesome. These ports seemed so poorly put together when they first launched but with the updates these have really become a great way to play DOOM

Status
Not open for further replies.