• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tatsu91

Banned
Apr 7, 2019
You're not getting the point. If Bethesda allow people to download the WADS - it doesn't matter how, whether said functionality is inside the game or not - for use with their commercially released port of DOOM, they're violating everything the dude above mentioned.
Thing is Doom on PC was a commercial release? so how is that different

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Thing is Doom on PC was a commercial release? so how is that different

This will be a curated set of WADs to download (for free) through an in-game 'marketplace' (I'm using the word loosely here -- you can check out the video I posted earlier to see precisely what I mean). Therefore, this is entirely different as Bethesda will now be directly liable for its' contents - something they weren't before, given most WADs were made without the involvement of Id. Hence, to come around to the original point - no, you won't be able to download any WAD due to the security concerns that arise (god knows people will find an exploit to hack the Switch if you could just download any WAD), and so because this functionality can only be achieved through an in-game solution, Bethesda become liable for its' contents, meaning copyright and the will of its' creators become a problem.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Devil Halton's Trap
Ok so the actual stream suggests id will curate community WADs itself. If that's the case, I wonder how far it will go. Will it start looking through all award-winning WADs that were built for traditional Doom?
Given how the Bethsoft community manager in charge of Doom has been covering a bunch of recent award-winners, they're likely going to showcase major Cacoward/10 Years of Doom highlights before moving on to recently lauded stuff.

I finally played through Hell Revealed recently for the first time and man, the jump in difficulty of those levels over the original game will make new players' heads spin.
Post-Mortem is the classic "holy shit holy shit HOLY SHIT" slaughtermap, just in terms of how many directions you have to prod and analyze before you can make any ground. It predates the likes of Meat Boy and other modern masochistic games by decades.

Are there any good WADs whose "quality" isnt rooted in how hard it is? Just, good level design?
I highly recommend skimming through Doomworld's Cacowards series, then checking out this thread about Doom WADs ranked by how they develop and rely on player skill. Bear in mind, custom Doom content nearly always skews harder than the IWADs, reflecting the nature of the games' small but dedicated community (which, by and large, produces more than it can quickly consume, thus rewarding creators who make more challenging or intriguing stuff).

Also, everything Ionic said on the other page. We're pretty astute about these things, though it takes a while to get a broad idea of the Doom custom mod/map scene.

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I understand pointing at a massive playlist isn't incredibly helpful but there are just so friggin' many WADs out there. But if you want a good idea of a cross section of what is out there then I recommend WAD Wednesdays by JP LeBreton where he plays a random WAD each week. With the nature of it being a random pull means it can range from gold to garbage, obviously, but with his understanding of the engine as well as level design means the insightful commentary overrides the garbage.

Otherwise I'd point to the cacowards which goes all the way back to 1994. There is just so much out there and such a range of ideas. People have been making WADs for a long time that you can filter down all sorts of ways.

I'll just grab random screenshots to give an idea even from a visual perspective. Sorry to image dump but there is just so much it really can't be overstated and admitted I didn't bother checking if any of these are viable for the console version, just giving an idea what is out there.

Void And Rainbow
Screenshot_Doom_20171118_210929.png.9ddefebd45ca789ba226ebab59c757b3.png

Brigandine
1.jpg

The Adventures of Square
shot-game07.png

Putrefier
putrefier.jpg

Winter's Fury
wintersfury.jpg

Doom : The Golden Souls 2
911475837_3_goldensouls2.jpg

Shadows of The Nightmare Realm
shadows.png

Rise Of The Wool Ball
woolball.png
Oh, shit, the color variations in those look amazing. Way more interesting than just more red and grey, despite how much I love base Doom. That Golden Souls one is particularly cute.

Also yeah Ive seen a few WAD Wednesdays but never any that showed off these unique ones, wow

Luckily not all the greatest WADs are all intense slaughter maps like what you might see in Sunder or the legendary Okuplok, but I do think almost all the great megawads get more difficult than the base Doom games by the end. So for instance both Scythe 1/2, Hell Revealed 1/2 start easy with short maps, but by the end throw maps of a scale and difficulty exceeding the base game that might take dozens of attempts to beat if you aren't saving regularly. The popular megawads of the decade that you'll see every Doom player recommend to their friends like Ancient Aliens, Eviternity, and Valiant still all start simple, but slowly grow into a more involved experience. Even WAD's like Doom the Way id Did which were built to mimic the design intricacies of the original game can't help but turn the dial up on difficulty. It's just a function of the people making these maps having played the game for years.

While the baseline experience of well made WAD's is a bit harder than what you initially played with the original games, I believe the quality of the enemy encounters and map geometry in user content exceeds the originals by so much that deaths very often feel less cheap than many of the maps of Doom 2.
While I did the first Doom with decent ease, that one goddamn hand shaped map had me so frustrated that I just dread anything described as super difficult, although yeah knowing it feels less cheap than 2 is a godesend, still havent finished 2 yet because of some of those levels.

Given how the Bethsoft community manager in charge of Doom has been covering a bunch of recent award-winners, they're likely going to showcase major Cacoward/10 Years of Doom highlights before moving on to recently lauded stuff.

Post-Mortem is the classic "holy shit holy shit HOLY SHIT" slaughtermap, just in terms of how many directions you have to prod and analyze before you can make any ground. It predates the likes of Meat Boy and other modern masochistic games by decades.

I highly recommend skimming through Doomworld's Cacowards series, then checking out this thread about Doom WADs ranked by how they develop and rely on player skill. Bear in mind, custom Doom content nearly always skews harder than the IWADs, reflecting the nature of the games' small but dedicated community (which, by and large, produces more than it can quickly consume, thus rewarding creators who make more challenging or intriguing stuff).

Also, everything Ionic said on the other page. We're pretty astute about these things, though it takes a while to get a broad idea of the Doom custom mod/map scene.
ooooooooooo I'll have to keep a bookmark on that thread, thanks! Ive been craving Doom content lately and these should fill that void.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
I mess around with SCYTHE but only through Doom 4 Vanilla. I guess I should try it normally for once.

Messed around with Eviternity too but that's hard as hell in my experience, even harder than Sigil.

I've also been slowly going through Struggle: Antaresian Legacy for a while.

Oct 25, 2017
These games work great on a controller. Got through all of them on UV using one.
The only issue I had was weapon switching in Doom II, cause the Super Shotgun made it awkward.
Though that was because the BFG edition I played didn't have any quick switch options. Not sure if this does.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
I mess around with SCYTHE but only through Doom 4 Vanilla. I guess I should try it normally for once.

Messed around with Eviternity too but that's hard as hell in my experience, even harder than Sigil.

I've also been slowly going through Struggle: Antaresian Legacy for a while.
I do love those two, especially Struggle. Although they are quite hard, even in lower difficulties. But man, those two WADs are impressive. Kudos to the creators for making them.

Jay_AD

Oct 28, 2017
Luckily not all the greatest WADs are all intense slaughter maps like what you might see in Sunder or the legendary Okuplok, but I do think almost all the great megawads get more difficult than the base Doom games by the end. So for instance both Scythe 1/2, Hell Revealed 1/2 start easy with short maps, but by the end throw maps of a scale and difficulty exceeding the base game that might take dozens of attempts to beat if you aren't saving regularly. The popular megawads of the decade that you'll see every Doom player recommend to their friends like Ancient Aliens, Eviternity, and Valiant still all start simple, but slowly grow into a more involved experience. Even WAD's like Doom the Way id Did which were built to mimic the design intricacies of the original game can't help but turn the dial up on difficulty. It's just a function of the people making these maps having played the game for years.

While the baseline experience of well made WAD's is a bit harder than what you initially played with the original games, I believe the quality of the enemy encounters and map geometry in user content exceeds the originals by so much that deaths very often feel less cheap than many of the maps of Doom 2.

Also, you know, you don't need to play everything on Ultra-Violence. Especially if you aren't super experienced with Doom. Most of the well known wads, with very few exceptions, do actually implement the difficulty settings. I am firmly in the "first playthrough on Hurt Me Plenty for community WADs" camp.

Even things like Plutonia. That thing is fantastic, but also a fucking son of a b if the hardest thing you've played is Doom II. If you get annoyed by that, turn down that diff. There is no shame in that, and it's in there for a reason. Doom is a high skill ceiling game that you will get way better at if you keep at it.

Also for those who don't know: Difficulty in Doom only affects monster count and thing placement in maps. It does not affect the game mechanics themselves - with the exception of the easiest one which doubles ammo/halves damage, and Nightmare, which, you know, makes it a nightmare.

Last edited:

Ionic

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Also, you know, you don't need to play everything on Ultra-Violence. Especially if you aren't super experienced with Doom. Most of the well known wads, with very few exceptions, do actually implement the difficulty settings. I am firmly in the "first playthrough on Hurt Me Plenty for community WADs" camp.

This is true and is a blind spot for me because I'm so accustomed to the Ultra-Violence difficulty that selecting it at the start of any game is second nature. Yeah, if the WAD is hard just set it to be easier and it probably will be.

Blackpuppy

Oct 28, 2017
I broke down and bought Doom 1 for my Switch... and it was thanks to this future update that finally pushed me over the edge.

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Even things like Plutonia. That thing is fantastic, but also a fucking son of a b if the hardest thing you've played is Doom II. If you get annoyed by that, turn down that diff. There is no shame in that, and it's in there for a reason. Doom is a high skill ceiling game that you will get way better at if you keep at it.

Also for those who don't know: Difficulty in Doom only affects monster count and thing placement in maps. It does not affect the game mechanics themselves - with the exception of the easiest one which doubles ammo/halves damage, and Nightmare, which, you know, makes it a nightmare.
That is actually my biggest problem with the difficulty. Id rather a boost in ammo/health drops or a reduction in damage rather than less enemies. Playing on easier difficulties isnt as fun because it just ends up making the levels barren and boring.

Blackpuppy

Oct 28, 2017
So all issues with the Switch version are going the be fixed with that, or was there something else?

pretty much! All the console versions should be fixed.

They'd already fixed the Bethesda login and the music in previous updates, but it looks like this is going to fix all the other nagging issues as well as adding an unexpected (but welcomed) WAD launcher.

Jay_AD

Oct 28, 2017
That is actually my biggest problem with the difficulty. Id rather a boost in ammo/health drops or a reduction in damage rather than less enemies. Playing on easier difficulties isnt as fun because it just ends up making the levels barren and boring.

I mean, increasing health and ammo supplies is a possibility in that system, as you can have pickups that only show up on certain difficulty settings. A lot of wad authors actually work with that. I think it's actually pretty cool that they made it a design-tool for folks to use. Lots of interesting possibilities there.

For the original iwads it is certainly true though. I wouldn't recommend playing Ultimate Doom on anything but UV for example. Even if you discount the lack of challenge, it just becomes weirdly barren.

Nov 8, 2017
I know there's pretty much zero chance of this happening, but I'd love to see an update to add the enhanced sound effects and soundtrack from the PS1 version of these games. It's so weird how everyone seems to have forgot these improvements were ever made.

Nov 8, 2017
Is this something that would be possible in a community WAD?
I never thought of that. I thought WAD's were just maps though? I don't know enough about the technical details to say whether it would be possible to replace the effects and soundtracks. It wasn't just the effects themselves either; PS1 version had different reverb for the effects depending on the environment you were in (e.g. indoor vs. outdoor), so getting the full effect might be a bit more complicated than just replacing the existing assets with their PS1 counterparts.

Jay_AD

Oct 28, 2017
.wad is just a container format. It can theoretically include anything. Usually maps + music, but also assets or scripting that can be read by modern source ports for example.

You can easily change that kind of stuff with DeHackEd, Decorate or ZScript. The latter allows you to essentially change/add anything you want. Question is rather whether Big Beth would be willing to support any of that. They do seem to be pretty averse to acknowledging any of the existing open development. It will certainly be the big limiting factor on which wads could possibly be supported by these ports.

We'll see.

Oct 25, 2017
Just announced on stream
https://www.twitch.tv/bethesda

Final Doom and No Rest for the Living as well
Community WADs will becoming as well
This applies to the newest releases of Doom/Doom II
- Xbox One, Switch, PS4
Coming Soon (tm)
These content updates will be free
I should be complaining that DOOM was released in such a crappy state, but I admit this certainly makes up for it somewhat.

Reddaye

Mar 24, 2018
New Brunswick, Canada
I never thought of that. I thought WAD's were just maps though? I don't know enough about the technical details to say whether it would be possible to replace the effects and soundtracks. It wasn't just the effects themselves either; PS1 version had different reverb for the effects depending on the environment you were in (e.g. indoor vs. outdoor), so getting the full effect might be a bit more complicated than just replacing the existing assets with their PS1 counterparts.

WADs can contain pretty much anything, that's the beauty of the format. Map packs, total conversions, etc all can fit into a WAD and be played with minimal (or often no) fidgeting. Very elegant and user friendly.

Jun 17, 2018
I know there's pretty much zero chance of this happening, but I'd love to see an update to add the enhanced sound effects and soundtrack from the PS1 version of these games. It's so weird how everyone seems to have forgot these improvements were ever made.

PS1 soundtrack was way superior in my opinion. It totally changes the mood of the game for the better.

Jay_AD

Oct 28, 2017
PS1 soundtrack was way superior in my opinion. It totally changes the mood of the game for the better.

I love the original Bobby Prince tunes, but the ambient PSX soundtrack is pretty neat indeed. Shame it's relegated to a generally inferior version of the game.

There exists a complete recreation of PSX Doom for GZDoom. Recommended if you are nostalgic for that port specifically. :D

Last edited:

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017

This is what makes difficulty in Doom a double-edged sword. Ultra-Violence in some situations might mean more powerful weapons drop earlier. In Doom 1 the shotgun drops earlier on Ultra-Violence.

But for those trying Sigil, I would not suggest playing it on Ultra-Violence the first time through. Ultra-Violence Sigil is a bitch.

Deleted member 46804

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 17, 2018
I should've clarified... beyond any extra content, is this port going to be better in terms of framerate, sound, image quality, and controls compared to the one available via Xbox backwards compatibility?

I mean the new ports were inferior to start just because of borked lighting, slow music and a messed up aspect ratio. The first two of those are fixed with the aspect ratio being fixed in this upcoming patch. The new ports are higher resolution and soon to be higher frame rate. So basically they are now superior in every way.

TechMetalRules

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 11, 2019
United States
I mean the new ports were inferior to start just because of borked lighting, slow music and a messed up aspect ratio. The first two of those are fixed with the aspect ratio being fixed in this upcoming patch. The new ports are higher resolution and soon to be higher frame rate. So basically they are now superior in every way.
Okay, great to know! Thank you very much.

Team_Feisar

Jan 16, 2018
Damn nice, feels really great on Switch now.
I actually never found the pre-patch version to be "bad" (as I never played doom 1&2 before so no comparison) but the improvement is massive.

Regarding the add-ons:
Which of the campaigns is closest to the regular games regarding level design, difficulty and "feeling"?

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Wow. Figures it would be today as I just started a new game during the morning commute. Went from The Touryst to Monkey Barrels, but will dive back into these after!

PS: Anyone know what they did to Doom 3? Looks like all 3 games have patches available (or maybe that's an old one I just never pulled down). Are there patch notes online?

rainking187

Oct 25, 2017
Mentioned in that article is that the rereleases will finally be released on PC via the Bethesda launcher. Really annoyed by that, they would never confirm a PC release, so I just bought them on Switch. I definitely would have rather had them on PC.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
I think we're also getting the excellent No Rest for the Wicked from the XBLA Doom 2 port at some stage.

Status
Not open for further replies.