• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 26, 2017
Out 2/22/19.

Distance.Over_.Time_.COVER_.3000x3000.jpg

http://dreamtheater.net/

Two-time Grammy-nominated and millions-selling progressive music titans Dream Theater announce the forthcoming worldwide release of their 14th studio album, Distance Over Time on February 22, 2019. Distance Over Time showcases a newfound creativity for Dream Theater while maintaining the elements that have garnered them devoted fans around the globe. The album also marks the first for the band's new label InsideOutMusic / Sony Music. The artwork was created by long-time cover collaborator Hugh Syme (Rush, Iron Maiden, Stone Sour). Distance Over Time was produced by John Petrucci, mixed by Ben Grosse and mastered by Tom Baker.

"When I listen back to the album, I can distinctly recall every moment of the writing process; where I was standing in the room, what inspired us in that instant and the meaning behind each song. As a producer, my goal was to try and create the best-sounding Dream Theater record we've ever made so that listeners can just be enveloped in the music. I really wanted this recording to truly reflect the spirit, joy and passion that went into making the album and for people to walk away feeling some of the organic nature, personality and raw energy that the band captured while together in the studio. For me, I think it accomplishes that and I hope that other people will feel the same way," explains John Petrucci.

In June 2018, Dream Theater secluded themselves in a private location in upstate New York to begin writing for the new record. While spending the summer living together in the property's adjacent residence, the band spent their days and nights crafting the music that would make up the new album in the 'Yonderbarn'; a beautiful and spacious barn that had been meticulously transformed into a state-of-the art film and recording studio. Following an intense & extremely productive period of group writing sessions and wanting to retain the magic that was captured in this scenic and inspiring location, they decided to record the album in the very room they had all convened to write together in. Living together during the writing and recording for Distance Over Time marked another first for the band's 33-year career. The result is a heavier collection of songs that showcases the early roots of the band while exploring new territory as musicians and as friends.

No song announcements, track listings, etc. yet, but there are little snippets available from video clips recorded during the sessions.

As long as it's better than the unsalvagable dumpster fire that was The Astonishing, I'm game.

Oct 27, 2017
Yup cant wait! Just got tickets to the Beacon Theater show.

FYI, the 137 number on the back apparently signifies the amount of songs they've released since they started.

Also distance/ time = speed

There is also a clip from the new album:

Last edited:

Zelenogorsk

Banned
Mar 1, 2018
Didn't like The Astonishing or the self-titled album but Dramatic Turn was amazing so i'm not gonna count 'em out just yet.

Also I wish James Labrie would put out another one of his solo albums that just sound like him singing over Soilwork instrumentals:

I'll take more of that over The Astonishing any day of the week!

Qasiel

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Exceptionally ready for this. I didn't mind The Astonishing too much, but only after many, many repeated listens did it get to that stage. The problem is they're never going to recreate SFaM again, and they need to realise that.

The clip sounds great and gave me a DToE vibe, which is more than welcome after The Astonishing.

Oct 27, 2017
Exceptionally ready for this. I didn't mind The Astonishing too much, but only after many, many repeated listens did it get to that stage. The problem is they're never going to recreate SFaM again, and they need to realise that.

The clip sounds great and gave me a DToE vibe, which is more than welcome after The Astonishing.

I feel the same way. The Astonishing was a super slow burn for me, but I eventually ended up liking it. Fans were pestering them to do another concept/story album, they do it, and nobody is happy so whatever :p

I have a feeling this album is gonna be heavy.

MrConbon210

Oct 31, 2017
Metropolis Part 2 is my second favorite album behind Dirty Loops' Loopified so I can't wait for this.

Oct 25, 2017
I think the last album I really enjoyed by the band was Black Clouds and Silver Linings, but I'll check this out when it releases on Spotify.

at the end of the day, I think anything would be an improvement over The Astonishing.

Iso

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't like The Astonishing or the self-titled album but Dramatic Turn was amazing so i'm not gonna count 'em out just yet.

Also I wish James Labrie would put out another one of his solo albums that just sound like him singing over Soilwork instrumentals:

I'll take more of that over The Astonishing any day of the week!

100% agree. Mislead is such a dope track, I fucking love the ending chorus with the guitar solo.

OP
OP
Masquerade Overture
Oct 26, 2017
It's solid.

I'm not a fan of how the chorus is just "The Root Of All Evil's" chorus in a different key, but it's better than anything on The Astonishing.

Middle part is fucking sick.

ArtemisLunar

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Jun 13, 2018
Really enjoying this one!
Thought I really enjoyed The Astonishing as the pure concept, tolerating 2+ hours of boring narration and really average music was rough and I hope they don't repeat that concept ever again