• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
www.ign.com

Elden Ring: How FromSoft's Largest, Most Free-Form Map Works - Summer of Gaming - IGN

Elden Ring's map promises to be huge, can be tackled in any order, and is made up of six major areas – but there's even more than that to discover.

www.famitsu.com

『エルデンリング』国内独占インタビュー。フロム・ソフトウェア最大規模となる新しいダークファンタジーをディレクター宮崎英高氏が語る【E3 2021】 | ゲーム・エンタメ最新情報のファミ通.com

フロム・ソフトウェアより2022年1月21日発売予定の『ELDEN RING(エルデンリング)』。ディレクターの宮崎英高氏が本作に込めた“願い”を語る国内メディア独占ロングインタビューをお届けする。

Embargo went up now

Last edited:

Wispmetas

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
All the yes to this game.

Not usually the biggest open world advocate, but I'm actually getting excited by what I'm hearing here.

CielTynave

Oct 25, 2017
Initially, I was thinking of passing on this game since I'm pretty much fed up with dealing with these sorts of super difficult games, but then I kind of realized that by being a lot more open like this, if I run into a part I can't get past I could just go do something else instead of going back through places I've been grinding or just bashing my head against the wall at whatever part I'm stuck at. Still want to see a bit more though before I actually commit to it.

Elliott

Oct 25, 2017
tenor.gif

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Just finished reading it (the IGN one). Gah, is it January yet?

I still don't see mentions of PvP. I know it was initially planned but I'm getting worried it's been cut. I wish IGN had asked.

Does the Famitsu one mention it? Any translation available?

TrueSloth

Oct 27, 2017
Most of my issues with open world games are the repetitive filler content. I'm curious what From will do there, or if they'll just forgo the side quests and collectable stuff altogether since I really can't picture that kind of content be in a Fromsoft game anyway.

alr1ght

Oct 25, 2017
They're probably the only developer that I don't roll my eyes at when "large, open world map" is uttered.

Estarossa

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well, this sounds like another game changer from them. I can see Elden Ring setting the standard for level design in an open word game.

Cruxist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Sounds great. The evolution of the summon spirit mechanic sounds interesting. If you get like, a list of defeated enemies you can call upon, it sounds like we won't be getting any Tarkus level bros that can just break the game. I hope moments like that aren't cut out, because it's such a fun way to beat that boss.

Soriku

Nov 12, 2017
They're probably the only developer that I don't roll my eyes at when "large, open world map" is uttered.

Same. It's gonna be packed with the good shit. I'm getting (good) Zelda vibes from what's being said about the world and the secrets that should be littered about the world. But doubt it'll be bloated like BOTW.

Dascu

Oct 28, 2017
So, I assume we'll have a circular world map around the central Erdtree, subdivided into 6 large areas. Each area has a tower, castle and big boss, like the spikey castle and many-limbs boss we see prominently featured in the trailer. The sort of temple inside the mountain looks like another one of the main areas, possibly with the wolf-knight that shoots red shockwaves as the main boss. A snowy mountain area and the big Irithyll-style castle look like main areas as well.

Dec 6, 2017
US
Also 30 hours without 'too many side trips' sounds great for me. I'm slow as fuck so that translates to like 90 hours and I'm sick of endless games.

Oct 28, 2017
I just hope it doesn't have crazy random difficulty spikes like Sekiro (mainly looking at the final boss). Seeing as they are talking about options I'm guessing there are ways to grind/build your character to alleviate the frustration.

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
Most of my issues with open world games are the repetitive filler content. I'm curious what From will do there, or if they'll just forgo the side quests and collectable stuff altogether since I really can't picture that kind of content be in a Fromsoft game anyway.
My guess is you're not gonna see much of this stuff. Maybe collectibles, but I don't see FROM putting typical open world bloat content into their game.

I think Shadow of the Colossus and BotW are going to be the closest analogues here. Sure, BotW has some open world side content, but most of it is designed to keep you exploring rather than just checking things off a list.

All just speculation though!

Ozzie

One Winged Slayer
Jan 12, 2018
30 hours sounds perfect length tbh. I would imagine the game would have insane replay value.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Possibly a stupid question, but will we be able to change armor sets or are we stuck with the one in the trailer?
I would not worry about that. This is a full-fledged RPG. Fashion Ring is in, 100%.

Plus the trailer/screenshots showed other types of player characters with different outfits too. There was a screenshot of a guy dressed sort of like the mercenary outfit from DS3 for example.