• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

JershJopstin

Oct 25, 2017
Weird predicament. I still want the NES controllers, but these could theoretically be used for NES and SNES while NES is obviously missing buttons for SNES. However, I own an SNES Classic, making these controllers redundant for most games.

Hmmm.

Bitanator

Oct 27, 2017
I'm ready for the Gameboy being added to NSO, can you imagine two bricks being able to slide into your switch

Adathir

Oct 25, 2017
How is the dpad on the NSO NES controller? As long as the snes controller had a proper dpad then there is a decent chance I would finally sign up and get that.

Mr. Pointy

Oct 28, 2017
I think if or when we get SNES games on NSO they'll be a free addition. I'm curious to see what they do after that.

Dymaxion

Sep 19, 2018
Man, I grew up on the not so great GBA ports of SMW, Yoshi's Island, And A Link to the Past. I would subscribe to NSO just to finally beat those games on the Switch.

Seafoam Gaming

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017
Didn't Nikkei mention they'd do a higher price tier for the other systems nintendo's adding to NSO? Seems like they know their stuff and if they add more than SNES then i could see a 5-15 price hike being doable

zen1990x

Jul 1, 2019
Didn't Nikkei mention they'd do a higher price tier for the other systems nintendo's adding to NSO? Seems like they know their stuff and if they add more than SNES then i could see a 5-15 price hike being doable
this is what i found

The report also includes an incredibly brief mention of a possible new version of the paid Nintendo Switch Online service. Nikkei says, quite simply, that a "new [online] service" could launch "sometime in 2019" with a focus on "game enthusiasts." Nikkei does not attempt to guess at this service's exact nature, nor whether it will cost more. (Nintendo Everything's translation guessed that this service would come at a higher cost, but other reporters dispute that translation.)
The easiest guess about what's to come: more classic Nintendo games. We've already seen notes inside of the Switch's NES files that refer to a wide variety of Super Nintendo games from first- and third-parties, and Nintendo may simply be waiting for a certain point in 2019 to announce these and renew interest in the Switch's anemic selection of classic games.

zen1990x

Jul 1, 2019
A new report from the Japanese outlet Nikkei is claiming that Nintendo is planning to release a smaller version of the Switch and a launch a new online service aimed at "Nintendo enthusiasts." That last part of the rumor is very intriguing but frustratingly vague. Message boards are wondering whether it pertains to an often rumored digital store to the SNES Virtual Console.

Nikkei has a pretty solid track record when it comes to all-things Nintendo so it's a relatively safe bet to assume that something is in the works. A second part of the rumor states that the new online service will cost a bit more than the current version offered. Again, how much more is the question on every Nintendo fan's mind.

Here's the pertinent information from Nikkei's post:

"They're taking measures as for what is to come – one of those being a smaller version of the Switch. The company said that 'couldn't comment' on their plans for the product, but has informed multiple suppliers and game development companies that they intend to release them as early as 2019. According to their affiliates, they are 'miniaturizing the console with portability and playing outdoors in mind, as well as cutting features to reduce the price and expand the userbase.'"

"The Switch's monthly online service launched in 2018, and plan to launch a new service aimed at game enthusiasts willing to pay more sometime in 2019."

This makes me think that were are getting SNES games with Nintendo switch online to keep people happy, and then offer a higher cost sub for more games from other past Nintendo systems?
I hope so anyway.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Didn't we go through this whole mistranslation cycle and learned in the end that all it meant was they're gonna make the services "more appealing" by ADDING VALUE to it (iirc that's an official statement) which means features and content and not literally more value as in adding more money onto the sub fee.

OP
OP
Ninjadom

Ninjadom

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
Didn't we go through this whole mistranslation cycle and learned in the end that all it meant was they're gonna make the services "more appealing" by ADDING VALUE to it (iirc that's an official statement) which means features and content and not literally more value as in adding more money onto the sub fee.

Yup, lost in translation.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
Most likely. I just wouldn't rule anything out. As you can see with Netflix, there's very little to stop companies upping subscription costs if they think they can get away with it.