• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 28, 2017
I asked in the giveaway thread but I guess in here might be better(?), I've been having an issue with entering giveaways that restrict "No juniors allowed" even though I'm not one.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Great work on this. A couple of suggestions:

1. Allow creators to embed URL's with the game titles, which in most cases will be links to Steam pages. This way people can instantly check if they already own it before putting their hat in the ring, and people can quickly find out what the game is, what sort of reputation it has, etc. I'm sure that would be a time saver for many people.

2. If a raffle with 1 entry per poster ends and some items are unclaimed, it becomes a FFA but people who originally participated and lost cannot claim any. Perhaps everyone, or at least everyone who did not win in that giveaway, should be able to enter the FFA.

weemadarthur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
First come first served giveaway never seems to officially close even when all items are redeemed. I have one on my current creations list.

MikeHattsu

Oct 25, 2017
There seems to be some kind of bug if you try to claim a prize from a raffle that has ended.

Tried with this one:

And got this error:
fLaUaV2.png

grang

Nov 13, 2017
Sorry if this is a dumb question, but how can I buy a digital Switch game and get it as a download code rather than it just downloading to my Switch? I'd like to start a raffle for one.

Deleted member 283

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh no D: I don't know why that happened. It was a fresh code, too. I am so sorry.
I will have a look into it and get back to you tomorrow
It's really no big deal at all; I appreciate the thought behind the gift the most. It not working is disappointing, but whatever. Though, since it doesn't work anyway, I suppose there's really no harm in doing this at all: The code was supposed to be 9NGR3-Z5I0R-HWX72 right? Because that's what I tried. Were there any typos/was it a different code left on the clipboard by mistake perhaps from something else and that might be what the problem is maybe? Because otherwise, yeah, I definitely am getting an already redeemed message on that. But other than that, no big deal since I understand these things happen and all.

Though at the very least 2064 is definitely going on my wishlist if nothing else since it somehow wasn't and that definitely looks like a very cool game.

weemadarthur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Sorry if this is a dumb question, but how can I buy a digital Switch game and get it as a download code rather than it just downloading to my Switch? I'd like to start a raffle for one.
My understanding is that only third party stores like amazon do codes, and not all eshop games can be found on third party stores.

OP
OP
Cerium

Cerium

The Former
Oct 23, 2017
Not sure if this is a bug or not, but should you be allowed to enter your own giveaways?
Definitely not! Has it allowed you to do so? Please point out the giveaway if so.
As weemadarthur mentioned, online retailers (not the eShop) offer Switch game codes as purchase options.
Oh no D: I don't know why that happened. It was a fresh code, too. I am so sorry.
I will have a look into it and get back to you tomorrow
Please let me know if anyone else in that same giveaway experienced similar problems, as it might indicate a bug on our end.

cptodin

Oct 27, 2017
It's really no big deal at all; I appreciate the thought behind the gift the most. It not working is disappointing, but whatever. Though, since it doesn't work anyway, I suppose there's really no harm in doing this at all: The code was supposed to be 9NGR3-Z5I0R-HWX72 right? Because that's what I tried. Were there any typos/was it a different code left on the clipboard by mistake perhaps from something else and that might be what the problem is maybe? Because otherwise, yeah, I definitely am getting an already redeemed message on that. But other than that, no big deal since I understand these things happen and all.

Though at the very least 2064 is definitely going on my wishlist if nothing else since it somehow wasn't and that definitely looks like a very cool game.

I got the key from Humble Bundle, I opened a ticket to clarify

Please let me know if anyone else in that same giveaway experienced similar problems, as it might indicate a bug on our end.

No problems reported so far except for above

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
We'll work on that and should have one up within the next day or so.

If you mouse over them on desktop it will bring up a tooltip.

Did this end up getting posted somewhere? I'm trying to find it and having no luck.

The feature's really neat, it's just not easy to tell what anything means on mobile. To the point that I kinda wish it just straight up said it instead of having the icons, haha.

Ventilaator

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Bug reports:

#1 - I had a giveaway end several days ago, but it still shows up under Active giveaways. Also, in the description it says it ended Jan 1, 1970 2:00 AM

#2 - Clicking on any thread link in "Won Giveaways" goes to a screen that says "Oops! We ran into some problems. The requested page could not be found."

Blade30

Oct 26, 2017
Some quick feedback.

- When you create a giveaway and go to it the "Enter Giveaway" shouldn't be there since you are the one who created it.
- While creating multiple giveaways it would be good to have a separator or sth. to distinguish each giveaways as it gets somewhat confusing when you have (in my case) 5 or more giveaways.

Last edited:

GiftBot

Official Giveaway Bot
Verified
Mar 7, 2018
This giveaway has unfortunately been cancelled.

Giveaway

Restrictions:
Hello, I am bot! I come bearing 1 gift from LAA LAA!

This is a raffle that will expire in 12 hours. The winner will be drawn at random! Any prizes leftover after the deadline will become available on a first-come first-serve basis.

These are our awesome prizes:

• Steam Steam: Skullgirls

OP
OP
Cerium

Cerium

The Former
Oct 23, 2017
Oops sorry, meant to post this in giveaway thread. Could this be moved please?
Thanks
Just to make sure nothing breaks, I would recommend cancelling this giveaway (through your giveaways page) and simply recreating it.

I just posted a giveaway here, and I included a URL to the OT in it. However it didn't end up as a URL. Can a mod edit it to fix that please?

Hmmm that's strange.

We actually can't edit giveaway messages unfortunately, but we'll definitely look into why the URL isn't properly rendering.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Hmmm that's strange.

We actually can't edit giveaway messages unfortunately, but we'll definitely look into why the URL isn't properly rendering.
I see, thanks. I just pasted the URL, I assumed it would show correctly.

EDIT: I see you were able to edit the post, not the sub-portion of the post which is the giveaway. Thanks.

weemadarthur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
The older first-come-first-served closed giveaways still display on the Active giveaways tab. Is there a way now that that bug has been addressed, to correct the database entries and make them all list themselves where they belong?

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
What does the "this calendar month" restriction mean? It's now a new month and I'm still unable to enter a giveaway with that restriction. Does it refer to a timezone that's different from mine? Or does it actually mean "last 30-31 days" or something else?

OP
OP
Cerium

Cerium

The Former
Oct 23, 2017
What does the "this calendar month" restriction mean? It's now a new month and I'm still unable to enter a giveaway with that restriction. Does it refer to a timezone that's different from mine? Or does it actually mean "last 30-31 days" or something else?
If you won a giveaway during the same month that the giveaway was created, you cannot enter. Presumably the giveaway was created last month.

The older first-come-first-served closed giveaways still display on the Active giveaways tab. Is there a way now that that bug has been addressed, to correct the database entries and make them all list themselves where they belong?
Should be fixed now.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
If you won a giveaway during the same month that the giveaway was created, you cannot enter. Presumably the giveaway was created last month.
I see. Is that consistent with the other restrictions? I was under the impression all the other restrictions are tested against the time someone enters a giveaway, not the time the giveaway was created. It also leads to a confusing error message imo. If a 24-hour giveaway was created on Sep 30th and someone enters on Oct 1st, they get an error saying, "Nope, you won something this calendar month", even if they hadn't won anything in October.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Feature suggestion:

- Add option to "allow multiple wins", defaulted to off. This would be in addition to the current "allow multiple entries". In raffles where people put up 10, 20 or more games, this would allow creators to let people choose multiple games as they do now, but the chance to win 2, 3, 4 etc. in a single raffle could be removed, thus ensuring an even distribution of winners. It would also add risk/reward for those who are choosing multiple or even all of the games, in that winning something they don't really want will mean they won't win better stuff.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
One suggestion or update I really really REALLY would like to have is to show how many entrants were in a giveaway once it ends.

Double

Nov 1, 2017
Fantastic new update! The threadmark integration especially is unexpected and lovely.

I just experienced a weird minor visual bug when creating my giveaway, where the preview window claimed that I ticked the "post as anonymous" box when I didn't. I then went back and ticked the box to see what happened, after which I was promised double anonymous status:

e3dHFpb.png

:D

I went back and unticked it again (still showing one "Anonymous: Yes" row in the preview afterwards) and it got posted un-anonymously as intended by me, so just a visual bug.

btw I would be interested to help program GiftBot to become even better (if that's even possible), if there's any way to contribute like that!
Cheers

Pokemaniac

Oct 25, 2017
So ever since this most recent update, I can't seem to enter any giveaways, at least on my phone. I've tried both Firefox for Android and Chrome and neither seem to let me select any games.

OP
OP
Cerium

Cerium

The Former
Oct 23, 2017
Now that the major patch is out and bugs are squashed, I've finally had time to put this together. Here's the Giveaway Restrictions Icon Guide:

BEgSiyJ.png
Past Winner Restriction

This restriction prevents users from entering the giveaway if they have already won a prize within a set period of time. The length of time can vary according to the preference of the giveaway creator: Past Hour, Past Day, Past Week, and This Calendar Month. The monthly option is unique in that it is not based on a fixed period of time, but rather the month in which the giveaway was created.

H8Dy1xY.png
No Juniors

This restriction disallows users who have less than 100 posts, or accounts that are less than one month old. It is intended to ensure that the prizes go to members who are real people and active contributors.

QNYvoON.png
No Lurkers

This restriction only allows members who have made 5 or more posts in the thread in which the giveaway is created. This is intended for community threads and OTs where some giveaway creators might want to make sure that their prizes go to folks who are actually part of that community. It is not generally intended for threads dedicated solely to giveaways or threads where there isn't a central topic of discussion. Please be aware that while you are welcome and encouraged to join and participate in new communities, blatantly spamming a community thread for the sole purpose of circumventing this restriction will get you banned.

FhhUpRg.png
Givers Only

This restriction requires that users have created a giveaway of their own within the past 30 days in order to enter. It is straightforward and ensures that anyone who wins a prize will have given something back fairly recently.

NCqdJH1.png
Pay Forward Only

This restriction requires that if a user has already won a prize, they must have created a giveaway of their own since their last win, otherwise they cannot enter the giveaway. There is no time limit on this. It encourages members to keep paying the generosity forward.

xROxwUp.png
Everything Must Go

Unlike the others, this is not a restriction. In fact, it is the opposite. This indicates that the giveaway creator has decided to allow any and every registered member to be eligible to win a prize. As opposed to simply turning the other restrictions off, this setting even overrides global restrictions set by the staff. It is intended for giveaway creators who want to dump codes and make sure they're gone.

Additionally...

There are some hidden global restrictions that are controlled and set by the staff. These settings are intended to prevent members from racking up an unreasonable amount of wins versus everyone else. One of them is a brief cooldown that prevents you from entering too quickly after a win. Another applies a much longer cooldown if you win too many prizes in too short a time. If you are among the top winners of all time, you will face additional (and increasingly severe) limitations. The specific numbers involved are subject to change, and we will not disclose exact values in order to discourage attempts at exploitation.

Nilou

Oct 25, 2017
Apologies for the huge necro-bump but I'm not sure where it would be good place to post this. For the "No Lurker" option would it ever be possible to allow users to manually choose how many posts would be required in a thread for people to be able to enter? Some of my giveaways I wish I could have chose 2 or 3 post requirements rather then 5 to be more inclusive but also to prevent lurkers/those who've never posted in the thread from entering.

Deleted member 93841

User-requested account closure
Banned
Mar 17, 2021
I'm not sure if this thread is still used for feedback, but I wanted to ask a few questions and make suggestions based on a negative experience I recently made with a giveaway. I don't want to mention the thread, the user's name or the game's name, because I don't want to make this a callout post.

A couple of weeks ago I made a giveaway in a thread for a discount coupon for a game. It was quite a significant discount and because it was a niche game and the thread wasn't super active, I didn't want to disable the "Allow Lurkers" option, because nobody in the thread had 5 posts, so nobody would have been able to enter. I made a big point of clarifying in the description that this was a coupon for use on the publisher's site, so that nobody would think it was a Steam game key or Steam coupon or something. I also made it clear that it has an expiry date.
Some user who had never posted in the thread and seems to be pretty inactive on Resetera (<2 posts a month) won the giveaway and I never heard anything about it again. I followed up with them about a week ago because I was worried they might not have seen that they had won the giveaway and the coupon was a week from expiry. They got back to me and said that they thought it was a Steam coupon (so they entered the giveaway without reading it) and thus didn't use it and promised that they would make another giveaway so that someone else could get a chance at the coupon. I checked their profile today and despite being online since then, they never made another giveaway. I also did a username search in the official giveaway thread and it didn't bring up a giveaway from them.
As far as I know, the coupon expired yesterday, which obviously sucks as someone else could have gotten it.

So to get to the point after that long buildup, here's a few suggestions/feedback from me:

• Would it be possible to change the "no lurkers" option so that we could enter a custom number of posts required in the thread for users to be eligible for the giveaway? Maybe also so that it only takes users into account who had posted before the giveaway was created? I definitely wanted the coupon to go to someone who had posted in the thread and shown some interest and enthusiasm for the game, but as said, 5 posts was too tall an ask in this case as nobody would have been eligible. Maybe a field so that we can say how many posts we require or a seperate option for 1 post.
  • Is it possible to exclude specific people from our giveaways and if this feature doesn't exist, could we get something like that or would the mods deem it too open to abuse? For obvious reasons, I'd prefer that this user not be able to participate in my giveaways again. If that kind of thing might cause hostility problems, maybe it allows people to enter, but just doesn't take them into account when the winner is drawn. Or would that still be too hostile?
  • Would it be possible to implement some kind of simple dialog confirmation system, so that in cases like this where people don't read the description, they get a dialog giving them a quick rundown of the most important bits, which they then have to accept before they're entered into the giveaway? In my case it would have been helpful to have a dialog saying something like "Do you understand that this is not a Steam coupon or game code?" I do understand if this is something that is outside of the scope of the Giftbot system, though.

1 gift from AlmostMilk

GiftBot

Official Giveaway Bot
Verified
Mar 7, 2018

Giveaway

Restrictions:
Hello, I am bot! I come bearing 1 gift from AlmostMilk AlmostMilk!

This is a first-come first-serve giveaway. Any claimed prize will instantly be delivered.

AlmostMilk said:
Turns out I wasn't able to use this at my theater so someone else can have it. Needs to be redeemed by the end of the day tomorrow/Sunday.

1. Copy your code. Go to https://www.atomtickets.com/

2. Select your preferred showtime for Sonic the Hedgehog 2 and add at least one ticket to your cart

3. Sign in or create a free Atom Tickets account 4.

4. Paste your code at checkout Your $4 movie ticket perk will be automatically applied

5. Tap "Buy" and enjoy your movie

These are our awesome prizes:

• Atom Tickets Atom Tickets: $4 Movie Ticket to Sonic 2