• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Cerium

The Former
Oct 23, 2017
Introducing Image Options for ResetEra 2.0

A lot of users like to browse the site using cellular connections and prefer to conserve mobile data as much as possible; the freedom to hide images, avatars, and embedded media can therefore be vital. Many users also like to browse the site at work or in other settings where garish visual elements can draw unwanted attention. We have been hard at work to address these needs ever since the launch of our 2.0 redesign. Our goal: To not only match but significantly exceed the features that were available on the old site design.

We believe that goal has finally been met. "Image and media options" or "Image options" for short are now available through your user settings, and can also be directly accessed on the left side navigation bar. When visual elements are hidden, a "Reveal hidden" button will also appear for members so that they can temporarily override their settings and load everything on that page.

Guest Options

For the very first time we are pleased to also offer limited image option features to guests and lurkers with no accounts. If you are browsing as a guest, you'll find that the sidebar will have a simple on/off toggle to show or hide all media, avatars, images, and covers. This setting is saved on a per-browser basis. You no longer need an account to browse the way you want.

One press of a button will render the site as safe for work as we can possibly make it, and friendlier to your data plan than it has ever been before.

Pick and Choose What to Show or Hide

This next-generation version of Image Options was always going to need more member choices than ever before. ResetEra 2.0 itself incorporates a lot of new visual elements, including avatars on the thread list and the covers feature for profiles and threads. Fully reflecting this new design, members can now independently toggle images, embedded media, covers, avatars on the thread list, and avatars inside threads.

Keep what you want, hide what you don't want. Whether you're trying to stay discreet at work or just want to conserve your data plan, there should now be a configuration that works for you.

Load Individual Images or Media at Your Whim

This is a brand new feature that we are especially proud to provide! When you choose to hide images and embedded media, these items will not simply be erased and left completely out of your reach. Instead, they will now each be replaced with a "Show Image" or "Show media" prompt which will allow you to individually load single items that you are especially curious about. Never again will you have to change your settings just to find out what everyone is reacting to in that one post.

EwbM5Cu.png

Separate Settings for Cellular and Other Connections

Members will often seek different image settings on different devices, as needs and circumstances might vary wildly. In consideration of this, we now allow you to save two sets of preferences: one for cellular connections and one for all other types of connections.

7lpeDFI.png

As a returning feature from the Image Options on the old ResetEra 1.5, each separate device you use will be logged and saved and viewable on the Image Options page. There you will be able to choose which set of preferences (cellular or other) that you want each device to abide by. But that's not all! There is a reason we have labeled these the way we have...

Experimental Feature: Automatic Cellular Connection Detection

When a mobile device is logged in Image Options, you will now see an option called "Automatic" when deciding which set of preferences to use. Thanks to certain prototype technologies that we have incorporated, this feature will detect when your mobile device is using precious cellular data and automatically implement your "Cellular Connection" preferences. When other connection types are used (like WiFi) it will automatically apply your "Other Connection" preferences instead.

C2WHmbW.png

This is a feature designed for maximum efficiency in data conservation. On a single device you will automatically shift from one set of preferences to the other as you drift on and off of your cellular data, all without having to lift a finger or even spare a thought.

Please note that this feature is not yet supported by the Safari browser. It utilizes experimental third party technologies and may pick up false positives or demonstrate other buggy behavior that we will not be able to fix ourselves. It is, of course, completely optional.

New Generic Avatar Design

Included in all of this is a minor cosmetic update: When avatars are hidden, either on the thread list or inside threads, they will now be replaced with a new "generic avatar" that has been designed just for us.

This feature replaces the old option, cobbled together in the immediate aftermath of the 2.0 launch, which completely removed avatars from the thread list altogether. The problem with that solution was that actual functionality was lost, especially on mobile where avatars are used to check the OP of a thread on the thread list. Avatars also also used to denote threads you have already posted in. All of that is now preserved, even when you choose to disable avatars.

This new avatar design will also replace the old "first letter" defaults that came bundled with the core software.

Bottom Line

Altogether this is the most advanced set of image options found on any traditional forum. Our gift to you. Thank you for your support!

SkullHydra

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Feb 20, 2018
Good stuff. The site is definitely improving, and is miles better than launch 2.0.

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
This all looks fantastic! Thank you!

As a note, disabling avatars should probably also disable your own avatar in the top right corner. It's very minor, but it stands out.

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
Glitch: When I set my phone to "Automatic", all images/avatars/etc. are automatically disabled, even though I've set it to show everything. It's ignoring the checkboxes.

Galaxy S8, Chrome 72

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Neat!

BTW what's the best way to suggest/request features? E.g. I would love a way to "mark" users (viewable only to me) w/o having to follow/friend/report them.

Barnak

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Oh my god. I can finally disable all the images & embedded media when I'm in the bus. My measly 1GB data plan is grateful.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Yes! Freaking finally! A big and bodacious thank you to all who made this a reality. Time to dive back in to screenshot thread since the new layout!

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
Is there a way to block anime Gifs only? thx

Not sure if "anime" was a phone autocorrect or not. If you meant to say "animated", I agree! I'd also like an option to only disable animated gifs—or if that's not possible to detect, only disable any image that ends in .gif

Gambit61

Oct 26, 2017
Great update! I've been using a browser config to disable all media to browse at work lol

Corporal

Oct 27, 2017
Fucken finally. Now, to dig through the various makeshift solutions in my browser that I enabled before to achieve similar functionality ... Ugh.

Thanks nonetheless, better late than never. I'm sure it was a pain to implement this. Much appreciated.

Relic

Oct 28, 2017
I came to this thread hoping there would be a way to disable avatars, allowing a more compact thread experience.

ReyVGM

Author - NES Endings Compendium
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I want images and media to not appear when I'm using cel data, but I want everything to be normal when using Wifi or on my PC.

Right now, I unchecked images and media for cellular data only, and the media/images also appear hidden when using wifi or on my PC too. I guess that's a bug?

OP
OP
Cerium

Cerium

The Former
Oct 23, 2017
I want images and media to not appear when I'm using cel data, but I want everything to be normal when using Wifi or on my PC.

Right now, I unchecked images and media for cellular data only, and the media/images also appear hidden when using wifi or on my PC too. I guess that's a bug?
Your PC and phone should be logged as separate devices; make sure your PC is set to use "Other Connection"

To get the functionality you're looking for on mobile, select "Automatic" for your phone but please keep in mind that this uses a prototype API which we have no control over; there will be bugs with the "Automatic" function that we cannot fix.

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
Great steps in the right direction. As others have mentioned, just need to allow the option to remove the creeper purple avatars and we're complete.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Is there any way to put GIFs under the "media" heading? Sometimes people are posting GIFs here that are significantly larger than a GFY embed would be.
An indicator of image size in the "show image" link might be useful too.

mrglcs

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Awesome! Are the settings saved by individual browsers? I access Era on my desktop at home and on my laptop at work and would like to disable images only at work.

OP
OP
Cerium

Cerium

The Former
Oct 23, 2017
Awesome! Are the settings saved by individual browsers? I access Era on my desktop at home and on my laptop at work and would like to disable images only at work.
For members, the settings are saved per device. You can see your list of devices on the settings page.

For guests, the settings are saved per browser.

You should definitely be able to disable images only at work.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks, these are great features!

I have a question though. Back when we moved from the old place, one of my favorite upgrades was that we didn't need to copy and paste an image's address into the embedded image function, but instead could just copy the image itself and then paste it in to the message box directly.

Ever since we had the upgrade though, this feature has been missing. We're back to having to copy an images address, then clicking the 'insert image' button, then pasting the address. Is there a way to get back the old copy+paste image function?

Keyouta

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Thanks for the hard work. The hiding of each image and being able to individually load what I find interesting is a life saver!

An issue is that the forum software is not seeing my browser as a mobile device. I'm using the Samsung internet app on Android 9, by the way.

Edit: it's showing me the automatic mode now, but doesn't seem to work.

Edit 2: sorry, a little confused. The automatic option is popping up under chrome on mobile, but does not offer the option on Samsung's browser. In chrome, automatic switching is not working for me.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Cerium

Cerium

The Former
Oct 23, 2017
Thanks for the hard work. The hiding of each image and being able to individually load what I find interesting is a life saver!

An issue is that the forum software is not seeing my browser as a mobile device. I'm using the Samsung internet app on Android 9, by the way.

Edit: it's showing me the automatic mode now, but doesn't seem to work.

Edit 2: sorry, a little confused. The automatic option is popping up under chrome on mobile, but does not offer the option on Samsung's browser. In chrome, automatic switching is not working for me.
Glad you like the individual load feature!

As mentioned in the OP, the "Automatic" feature is very experimental and uses prototype technology. There will be bugs that we can't fix ourselves. Some browsers do not yet support it, and on those browsers the option will not appear; this is likely why you are seeing it on Chrome but not Samsung's browser. If it is not working for you on Chrome you may have to simply switch your settings manually.

Axe

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
I tried out "Automatic", but it seems to always block all images regardless of settings.

Any chance you could make the generic avatar on the thread list fade/dim whenever a thread has been read, like we had with the old design? Might be nicer to use the Resetera logo on the list too.