• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 283

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thank you for the hard work on this! I don't really have any problems with data in of itself, but I personally use a terrible old phone (the site is identifying it as a Motorola Moto G (2015), so well, yeah) so GIFs and the like are a huge issue for me on mobile as they just outright crash my web browser, likely due to it just not having the RAM and stuff to deal with them I guess or something. That and the reason data isn't a problem for me as such is because I don't have a data plan on my phone at all and have a super cheap phone plan that only gives access to the web through Wi-Fi, so being able to manually set my phone to "cellular connection" regardless is greatly appreciated, as that suits my needs perfectly despite not exactly being intended for a situation like mine if I'm reading this right and these options primarily being meant to help people conserve data and not-so-much deal with terrible old tech.

So yeah, what I'm trying to say is great job, and I greatly appreciate all the work on this! ^^

Deleted member 27751

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
My only complaint is the layout of the options makes no sense. It's just check boxes with no description of ticking removes images or unticking does. It is really, really confusing.

Edit: Nevermind for some reason my options had no descriptions. They do now.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
Can there please be a way to disable only the defaul avatar and leave the normal ones?

I should say I do kinda dislike the new one specifically; it looks very "cheap". But this is a request I've had from the initial introduction of them, because I find them frustrating. I find it hard to keep track of who's who in threads with multiple of the same avatar, when if it's just their names I see that and keep track of that more.

Stat

Oct 25, 2017
Finally! it was the big feature I liked from era 1.0.

But is it possible to just remove the default avatar too? Its awful as well. Just something plain

Agent Unknown

Oct 26, 2017
Great new additions.

It'd also be nice to be able to upload images directly from device like some other forums offer instead of having to use image hosting sites like Imgur, ect.

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Love the updated features, great work to all who had a hand in implementing it.

My only complaint is that I wish we could also do away with the default avatar, it's very plain and still eye catching at a distance for those of us trying to discretely browse at work .__.

Lunaray

Oct 27, 2017

My only complaint is that I wish we could also do away with the default avatar, it's very plain and still eye catching at a distance for those of us trying to discretely browse at work .__.

I second this. Can we just replace that with a transparent square?

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
Is there a possibility the update is randomly enabled by accident? I'm PC and all of a sudden I see a lot of people with just default avatars, I checked my settings but everything is set to display.

Danielsan

Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands

This. It's already a big improvement. But the default avatar is still very noticeable whereas on the old platform we just had the avatars removed completely. Maybe just give us the option to replace the default avatars with a transparent PNG block.

Corporal

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks once more, I'm finally less stressed out when browsing era on shitty rural mobile connections.

Shameless bold-faced feature request:
Can we get a more specific "Show Media" button? Since everything from a 1KB tweet to a 30MB mp4-from-gif can hide behind a media tag it's a bit of a lottery to use it on dial-up speed connections.

Easiest(???) way would be to simply(???) modify it to "Show Media ($hostname)" instead. So, for example, "Show Media (twitter.com)". Or "Show Media (youtu.be)". If done right, it would even be forward compatible with future media embeds.

Revenge of the omega Feature Request from Space (Super Deluxe Directors Cut): a similar feature or mouseover bubble that shows the host for the image button as well,so that gif sites can be easily identified and avoided without actually pressing the button or quoting the post (/inspecting the source code/whatever).

Sure, e.g. huge-ass gifs from generic image hosting sites like abload or imgur will remain a problem, but hey, can't have everything. Doubt there exists an algorithm that can reliably parse the file name and extension from any given image hosting site URL. One could grab the mime type and/or filename by initiating a download and then aborting it immediately and saving that info server side, but that doesn't strike me as a feasible solution. So, hostname it shall be.

Memphis-Ahn

Nov 7, 2017
1817.jpg

Can we have this as the avatar instead?

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
Nice features but can I ask that images stop popping up in that weird way they do now when clicked and instead just open a new tab that goes directly to the image url

No More "Generic Avatar" Replacements Inside Threads
OP
OP
Cerium

Cerium

The Former
Oct 23, 2017
Information
Update: As per the most common feedback we have received so far, when avatars are hidden inside threads, no avatars will be shown at all. The "generic avatar" will no longer appear. This should ensure the cleanest possible layout for work browsing.

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
Information
Update: As per the most common feedback we have received so far, when avatars are hidden inside threads, no avatars will be shown at all. The "generic avatar" will no longer appear. This should ensure the cleanest possible layout for work browsing.
I liked the generic avatars... any chance to have an option to take it back?

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Don't know where else to ask this.

Why don't YouTube embeds work? Like not a single one?

What's the point of even having embeds if you have to open the video in a new tab to play it? It would honestly be better to not have them at all, all they do now is force an extra click to get the video open in a new tab to actually play.

Manashima

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
I cant see Twitter messages, or watch embeded videos. Images and gifs work though. I checked every image option and saved it, yet nothing changes.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
No matter what I size the image, I always get an error message about the image being too large when I try to set a cover image in my profile. Is this feature currently busted?

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Even though i've only been back a few hours. I'm loving some of these new features that got put in while i was "away"

EDIT: Shit i just realised i posted in the image options thread. Super sorry about that. I thought it was a genreal thread for the new features.

Last edited:

mnemonicj

Oct 27, 2017
Honduras
Is there a way to disable opening that last view page from each thread?
I recall that when the 2.0 version came out, there was an option that allowed disabling this but I can no longer find it.
It is actually a little annoying to constantly go back to a previously viewed thread and it automatically jumps to my last view.

GeekyDad

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
USA
Sorry to bump/post, but when starting a ticket it recommended this thread. I'm trying to figure out if there's a way to hide individual user avatars without ignoring the user. I like their posts but not their avatars.

Thanks