• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Fevaweva

Oct 30, 2017
At the beginning of the film Tár, in the credits they have all the legal and rights stuff and I noticed in there that Capcom's very own Monster Hunter World is in there.

I expected a character to be playing it in the background somewhere in the mise en scene of a scene. What I didn't expect was that

after Tár has completed her fall from grace, she ends up being a conductor for a show that turns out to be...doing covers of the music from Monster Hunter World.

Which is such an oddly specific thing that I can only imagine that Todd Field, the reclusive filmmaker who wrote and directed the film, either has kids who are very hardcore gamers or he himself is a big gamer. Because no casual would do something like that.

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
It's an absolutely perfect ending to the film. An absolutely masterful punchline where you fully understand the way her status has permanently been altered - and you're left to contemplate if this is too light a fate, or somehow too cruel.

OP
OP
Fevaweva

Fevaweva

Oct 30, 2017
It's an absolutely perfect ending to the film. An absolutely masterful punchline where you fully understand the way her status has permanently been altered - and you're left to contemplate if this is too light a fate, or somehow too cruel.
Couldn't agree more. Just incredible.

When watching with friends we literally watched it four times in disbelief

I couldn't believe it either. Sadly I was the only one in the theatre who knew what was going on but yeah, wild stuff.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
I spotted the game mentioned in the opening credits and was like WTF. Assumed it would just appear on a TV screen for a few seconds and then... that scene fucking cracked me up.

J75

Sep 29, 2018
I wonder how the non gamer audience not familiar with the game reacted to this.

cursed beef

Jan 3, 2021
the game's copyright info being there in the opening credits made the whole thing play like the most elaborate set up > punchline in cinema history. it was incredible. i cackled.

stoked for lydia tár to replace tommy tallarico's at video games live

Last edited:

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder how the non gamer audience not familiar with the game reacted to this.
It makes sense without knowing the game because it's about her losing the ability to interpret the music she's conducting, which is her real punishment there (tbh, it's not even that maybe, but that's up to interpretation).

Deleted member 10981

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 24, 2022
What a phenomenal movie that was.

Also it's wild how people came out of that movie was making fun of video game music.

Like…did they go use the bathroom in the scenes prior?

Seph13

Jan 4, 2018
It's an absolutely masterful exercise in setup and payoff if you spot this in the opening credits and then spend the whole movie wondering when it will show up!

Checkov's Monster Hunter

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
i honestly, i don't know, i want to watch this movie, but knowing this... i feel like i would feel so many weird emotions during this, as i am quite clearly not the audience to the emotions that i suspect this is intended to elicit, as i know, from playing videogames, that game music not something to be ashamed of, and cosplayers are nice people, even though, i know that the movie builds this scene on Tár's own sense of losing her place in her career, and not really the actual feelings of the people she is standing next to

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
i honestly, i don't know, i want to watch this movie, but knowing this... i feel like i would feel so many weird emotions during this, as i am quite clearly not the audience to the emotions that i suspect this is intended to elicit, as i know, from playing videogames, that game music not something to be ashamed of, and cosplayers are nice people, even though, i know that the movie builds this scene on Tár's own sense of losing her place in her career, and not really the actual feelings of the people she is standing next to

That isn't the point of the scene

Cheesebu

Wrong About Cheese
Sep 21, 2020
I wonder what the people responsible for the music in Monster Hunter thought of that scene.
If they watch the whole film they should understand that the only one who thinks that is below Tar is Tar herself. Out of context you could see it as a knock, but her character is so unbelievably self obsessed and pretentious that earlier in the film she wouldn't have even responded to a question of wether she would conduct for a symphony hall full of costumed video game enthusiasts.

There are some other very deliberate touches in that scene that call back to things she's spoken about, but I don't want to give everything away.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
ok so what is? that's every interpretation of the scene i've read

The point is that for Tar (the character), it is seen as fall for grace and that she no longer has full control over the kind of music she plays nor the timing, since she now has to follow a strict schedule and someone else's tempo.

People who look at that aren't understanding that we largely experience the film through her perspective. The film isn't making a judgement about video game music, but Tar herself certainly would, but more than that it now signifies that she lost the control she relished.

Honestly, I think a lot of people who interpret it that way are largely being kind of overly defensive because it's pretty clear what is going on. The film wants us to think about how Tar feels about where she is and whether the punishment she receives warrants the things she does. It's not using its final scenes to come to a halt and make fun of video games and cosplayers.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
The point is that for Tar (the character), it is seen as fall for grace and that she no longer has full control over the kind of music she plays nor the timing, since she now has to follow a strict schedule and someone else's tempo.

People who look at that aren't understanding that we largely experience the film through her perspective. The film isn't making a judgement about video game music, but Tar herself certainly would, but more than that it now signifies that she lost the control she relished.

Honestly, I think a lot of people who interpret it that way are largely being kind of overly defensive because it's pretty clear what is going on. The film wants us to think about how Tar feels about where she is and whether the punishment she receives warrants the things she does. It's not using its final scenes to come to a halt and make fun of video games and cosplayers.

ok, well, this is embarrassing because that's what i meant with my post

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Not sure if this will beat Paul Verhoeven's Elle.
No, videogame development was more of the plot in Elle, and here it's just a reference.

What I do find interesting is the start of the film and the ending being like bookends if you see it as a theme about white folks piggybacking on non-white cultures and cultural appropriation. The film starts off with a live recording of Shipibo-Conibo singers that Tar is conducting and she uses this experience to further her legitimacy. There are even Shipibo geometric designs that haunt Tar throughout the film. Then it ends with her not able to "start the clock" and having to follow the tempo of a Thailand orchestra making music for a videogame that is made in Japan. I doubt it's a coincidence that a non-European videogame and final location was used. The videogame being called Monster Hunter, is that random or too on the nose for how her character is? Heh

Last edited:

Garcia el Gringo

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
NJ
I saw some vague ending hype on my feeds that wasn't necessarily coming from the videogamesphere. A rare case of my shock surpassing expectations when I watched Tár a few days ago.

Iced_Eagle

Dec 26, 2017
I heard the music start at the end, and my brain just went "...Is that... What I think it is??" Ended up laughing hard.

It was a beautiful and perfect ending.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
No, videogame development was more of the plot in Elle, and here it's just a reference.

What I do find interesting is the start of the film and the ending being like bookends if you see it as a theme about white folks piggybacking on non-white cultures and cultural appropriation. The film starts off with a live recording of Shipibo-Conibo singers that Tar is conducting and she uses this experience to further her legitimacy. There are even Shipibo geometric designs that haunt Tar throughout the film. Then it ends with her not able to "start the clock" and having to follow the tempo of a Thailand orchestra making music for a videogame that is made in Japan. I doubt it's a coincidence that a non-European videogame and final location was used. The videogame being called Monster Hunter, is that random or too on the nose for how her character is? Heh

That is actually a very good catch

Wonky Mump

Oct 30, 2017
Just watched this film yesterday (managed to catch one of the limited cinema showings it has in my town) and was very surprised at the end having little experience with Monster Hunter and had to explain to a friend. It worked in the context of the film tho, but a very surprising choice for sure.

Kalosky

May 17, 2022
Easily my favorite movie from last year, and one of my favorite endings in recent memory. The set up and payoff for everything just made it feel so much funnier.

ajido

Unshakable Resolve
Dec 7, 2018
Semi-pro singer here, sung in multiple symphony choruses in the states. As soon as she put on the headphones I knew it was going to be some kind of pops concert and she was totally fucked. It's the kind of gig that all of the main conductors avoid like the plague.

The conductors may hate it, but as a singer they're some of my favorite concert memories. Getting to sing in a Final Fantasy "Distant Memories" concert with a full professional symphony orchestra was incredible. I'll never forget singing "One Winged Angel" and "Fithos Lusec". A true dream come true for this nerdy singer.

Art_3

Banned
Aug 30, 2022
The funniest part isn't that it's videogame music or the quality it's just that you know how Lydia is a stuck up elitist douchebag so this definetly gets under her nerves.

RoboPlato

Oct 25, 2017
I have no idea how they convinced Capcom to let them do it. Great movie and it works extremely well but not a positive brand association at all. Companies very rarely agree to have their output featured in such a manner. I felt like I was losing my mind when it happened in the theater LOL

OP
OP
Fevaweva

Fevaweva

Oct 30, 2017
I have no idea how they convinced Capcom to let them do it. Great movie and it works extremely well but not a positive brand association at all. Companies very rarely agree to have their output featured in such a manner. I felt like I was losing my mind when it happened in the theater LOL

Maybe the people who signed off on it in Capcom got what Todd Field was going for.

YohraUtopia

Apr 1, 2021
Semi-pro singer here, sung in multiple symphony choruses in the states. As soon as she put on the headphones I knew it was going to be some kind of pops concert and she was totally fucked. It's the kind of gig that all of the main conductors avoid like the plague.

The conductors may hate it, but as a singer they're some of my favorite concert memories. Getting to sing in a Final Fantasy "Distant Memories" concert with a full professional symphony orchestra was incredible. I'll never forget singing "One Winged Angel" and "Fithos Lusec". A true dream come true for this nerdy singer.

Me too (and formed pro musician too, a long time ago!) It's so perfect for her though; the character is just a middlebrow mediocrity. It pairs so well with her disdain for New Music; anything that's too carnivalesque and mass culture or anything too difficult and perhaps risky frightens her.