• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

TetraGenesis

Oct 27, 2017
Also, I love this version of Bombing Mission produced by Umematsu a few years ago. I'd love for them to use this. It's so faithful to the original.

Of course, nothing but respect for Uematsu, easily one of my top 3 video game composers of all time. However...

These do what I like least about modern orchestral arrangements of midi composition: they bury the melody. Unlike small bands/modern music and midi instrumentation, which bring certain melodic throughlines to the forefront of the sound, lots of the modern orchestra arrangements spread the impact of the instrumentation all around and thin the impact of the melody.

I think Fighting! (the original battle theme) in this thread's boss video is PERFECT. One of the best of these arrangements I've ever heard. It nails the staccato punch of the original midi perfectly, despite being a full orchestra. Compare it to the Final Fantasy Distant Worlds arrangement and tell me which hits as hard as the original.

This is honestly something I'm worried about with Fight On! The original is this kinda dark prog fever dream with cycling electric organs, mean distorted guitar, a small but mighty string and horn section, and a little midi drummer at his kit just absolutely losing it. It rocks. It fucking rocks. Every instrument and melodic line gets its opportunity to scream at the top of the mix.

The only time we've heard FF7R's arrangement of this (to my knowledge) is as a motif at around 2:00 in the newest trailer. And I really hope it is just a motif in a new piece (they seem to be doing that a lot in this and that's fine) because if their straight adaptation of the original song replaces electric keys with strings and electric guitar with horns... man, what a loss.

Sankara

Alt Account
Banned
May 19, 2019
Paris
I cannot stop thinking about this game. It's always on my mind everyday. It's so good. It looks so amazing. I haven't been this hyped in a long time.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ah, I especially liked Luna's design in that movie compared to the game.
Same! She looked fantastic and way more distinctive than the game's anime doll figure.

tumblr_ocpxsi3KQu1qdny4ho2_500.gif

tumblr_ocztuq74t71tg3a8ao1_500.gif

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I cannot stop thinking about this game. It's always on my mind everyday. It's so good. It looks so amazing. I haven't been this hyped in a long time.

This.
I've been listening and whistling FFVII since the last State of Play, and the game doesn't leave my brain a single day.
Crazy what hype can do.

Oct 25, 2017
Remake looks better than Advent Children. Do you think Kingslaive looks better than Advent Children? Or that other FF flop? Not really. That model doesnt look better than Tifa or Aerith in FFVIIR
It's got a higher polygon count and more advanced lighting. The style is more realistic because they are using mocap I believe. Hopefully we get mocap for FF16.

Oct 26, 2017

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Do you think Kingslaive looks better than Advent Children? Or that other FF flop? Not really.
Kingsglaive 100% looks better than Advent Children. How can you say otherwise? That's crazy.

I haven't seen Spirits Within in a very long time, but I remember thinking it didn't look that good the last time I watched it. I wouldn't be surprised if Kingsglaive looks better.

banshee150

Banned
Apr 3, 2019
Kingsglaive 100% looks better than Advent Children. How can you say otherwise? That's crazy.

I haven't seen Spirits Within in a very long time, but I remember thinking it didn't look that good the last time I watched it. I wouldn't be surprised if Kingsglaive looks better.
All i am saying is that FFVIIR impressed me more than Kingslaive and it already looks better than AC and SW so....