• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Bazztek

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why haven't they added a new statement from Nomura like they just did with Hamaguchi on the recruiting site after they removed theirs a few weeks ago?
0pGGQQ2.png

Bazztek noticed that last month:

Yeah was wondering why they only added a comment back for Hamaguchi but not Nomura.

Nothing strange there, FFVII's menu changed sizes/options depending on what materia you had equipped. The 2015 one had "Defend" I think, maybe it was reverted back to hitting left on dpad? or maybe just a defend button.
I vaguely recall Nomura said he wasn't sure if they would keep "Defend" there since they were gonna put in manual dodge or something, I might be misremembering.

OP
OP
Koozek

Koozek

Oct 25, 2017
New episodes tomorrow!

giphy.gif
Been watching the season 4 remix on Netflix in the last days and it's basically like a new season for me because I don't remember anything from that season (but I remember not having liked it as much back then). It's better than I remembered in this new version and I've been pissing myself laughing at parts :D

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Nothing strange there, FFVII's menu changed sizes/options depending on what materia you had equipped. The 2015 one had "Defend" I think, maybe it was reverted back to hitting left on dpad? or maybe just a defend button.
If I had to guess, "defend" probably has its own dedicated button like in FFXV, such as L1.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Cloud still using the Buster Sword is intriguing also, I can't remember if you'd have gotten a better weapon by that point in the original. Either way I still think the game will have you upgrade the Buster Sword regularly but have the option to use other weapons (kinda like the Master Sword in BotW and Hyrule Warriors where you'd have to wait a while before unlocking its true potential in the latter's case).

As for how I'd divide the game up:

Part 1: Nothin' but Midgar. Every major Cloud scene would be included, but it'd also cut away to let you play as Barret with Avalanche and as Tifa, filling in some of the backstory and giving us a lot more of Midgar to explore. Think of it like the Active Time Events in FFIX. Maybe we'd also see some Before Crisis flashbacks to add variety but with smaller maps, like Barret as a younger member of Avalanche when it was much bigger. Part 1 would end with a more dramatic fight at the end of the Midgar highway, as the team looks out onto the desolate landscape ahead of them.

Part 2: Opens with the Nibelheim flashback story, showing us that the team has arrived in Kalm after the end of part 1. Would be a pretty dramatic start IMO. This part would probably end with Aerith's death.

Part 3: All of the previous locales are brought together and fully explorable, covers the entire end of the original game.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Cloud still using the Buster Sword is intriguing also, I can't remember if you'd have gotten a better weapon by that point in the original. Either way I still think the game will have you upgrade the Buster Sword regularly but have the option to use other weapons (kinda like the Master Sword in BotW and Hyrule Warriors where you'd have to wait a while before unlocking its true potential in the latter's case).

Part 1: Nothin' but Midgar. Every major Cloud scene would be included, but it'd also cut away to let you play as Barret with Avalanche and as Tifa, filling in some of the backstory and giving us a lot more of Midgar to explore. Think of it like the Active Time Events in FFIX. Maybe we'd also see some Before Crisis flashbacks to add variety but with smaller maps, like Barret as a younger member of Avalanche when it was much bigger. Part 1 would end with a more dramatic fight at the end of the Midgar highway, as the team looks out onto the desolate landscape ahead of them.

Part 2: Opens with the Nibelheim flashback story, showing us that the team has arrived in Kalm after the end of part 1. Would be a pretty dramatic start IMO. This part would probably end with Aerith's death.

Part 3: All of the previous locales are brought together and fully explorable, covers the entire end of the original game.

There is no weapon for Cloud in Midgar afaik

that's also an issue for the remake since there's basically hardly any RPG elements in Midgar. You get a dozen materias, one piece of weapon for Barret and Tifa and then it's off you go

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018

I think there's no other weapon for Cloud at that point (you can only start buying them after Midgar iirc, with Hardedge being something you can steal from Shinra soldiers at the HQ -it also appears during the motorbike sequence, whether you have it or not-).

I think they'll do that, most weapons Cloud has are ugly as fuck (they're going to be redesigned and adapted anyways) and Buster Sword is as iconic and fitting as it gets. Something similar was done with Noctis and his Engine Sword (who also had the benefit of actually having great weapon designs).

signal

Oct 28, 2017
I think there's no other weapon for Cloud at that point (you can only start buying them after Midgar iirc, with Hardedge being something you can steal from Shinra soldiers at the HQ -it also appears during the motorbike sequence, whether you have it or not-).

I think they'll do that, most weapons Cloud has are ugly as fuck (they're going to be redesigned and adapted anyways) and Buster Sword is as iconic and fitting as it gets. Something similar was done with Noctis and his Engine Sword (who also had the benefit of actually having great weapon designs).
Cloud's swords are nice though. Except Apocalypse. Heaven's Cloud and Enhance and Hardedge and etc were cool. If they do some dumb thing where you upgrade the Buster the whole game and it becomes some faceted multisword like in Advent Children I'll be mad.

Also bring back Nail Bat.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There is no weapon for Cloud in Midgar afaik

that's also an issue for the remake since there's basically hardly any RPG elements in Midgar. You get a dozen materias, one piece of weapon for Barret and Tifa and then it's off you go

You can steal a weapon from the SOLDIER enemies in the Shinra building but that's the earliest one I know of.

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
Cloud's swords are nice though. Except Apocalypse. Heaven's Cloud and Enhance and Hardedge and etc were cool. If they do some dumb thing where you upgrade the Buster the whole game and it becomes some faceted multisword like in Advent Children I'll be mad.

Also bring back Nail Bat.
I only ever liked Hardegde (really love this one actually, almost as much as Buster Sword), the katanas, the nail bat (out of how fucking weird and brute it essentially is) and maybe a couple more. The rest I always saw as being the opposite of subtle and something I would have designed myself when I was 13 or so. To each their own, obviously.

I think that, if Ultima Sword had a design Iiked more, I would more OK with his arsenal, but for the most part I've always found it boring and always wanted to go back to Buster Sword and Hardedge :/

EDIT: I had forgotten about Heaven's Cloud. That one's cool, yep!

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Man, Cyberpunk 2077 and FFVIIR in the same period will make for a real HD cyberpunk bonanza.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
I only ever liked Hardegde (really love this one actually, almost as much as Buster Sword), the katanas, the nail bat (out of how fucking weird and brute it essentially is) and maybe a couple more. The rest I always saw as being the opposite of subtle and something I would have designed myself when I was 13 or so. To each their own, obviously.

I think that, if Ultima Sword had a design Iiked more, I would more OK with his arsenal, but for the most part I've always found it boring and always wanted to go back to Buster Sword and Hardedge :/

EDIT: I had forgotten about Heaven's Cloud. That one's cool, yep!
I think Hardedge was memorable since it was used in that motorcycle shot for advertisements and other promo stuff. Pretty weird. One of, maybe the only? weapon used in those kinds of materials that wasn't the Buster.

jJ5YClv.jpg

Yarbskoo

Oct 27, 2017
I won't even be surprised if that Air Buster you fight in the first few hours becomes that Air Buster you fight ten hours into the remake.

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
I think Hardedge was memorable since it was used in that motorcycle shot for advertisements and other promo stuff. Pretty weird. One of, maybe the only? weapon used in those kinds of materials that wasn't the Buster.

jJ5YClv.jpg
Yeah, it was one of the reasons it stayed with me almost as much as Buster Sword, always loved how blocky and blunt it looked, as well as the Japanese characters.

You can, iirc, steal it from Shinra Soldiers during the whole HQ stuff, so at the very least it'd make sense gameplay-wise, although you would use it whether you have it or not (might be misremembering and the one in gameplay is the Buster Sword, though). It's a bit weird that the Buster Sword wasn't used, indeed.

Very curious to see what they do with the whole motorbike thing. That music.

MisterMangu

Banned
Feb 12, 2018
Wow. Even with that potato phone pic, you can still see that visually this game won't disappoint. Air buster looks fuckin awesome!

signal

Oct 28, 2017
If they show a Midgar trailer at E3 pls include the remake version of this part. With the music.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017

Yeah I figure the Buster Sword will at least stick around for the most part, even if just for marketability. The characters are recognizable 'n all, but a symbol is much more effective. The only returning weapons for Cloud I think are guaranteed are Nail Bat for the fun of it (maybe as a DLC/pre-order bonus) and Ultima Weapon.

TGR Sean

Nov 5, 2017
Orlando, Florida
I really don't understand how some of you believe that Part 1 is Midgar and then Part 2 is the rest of "disc 1."

Like, yeah, Midgar is big. But there is SO MUCH between leaving Midgar and the end of disc 1. Locations, story bits, enemy encounters, materia combinations, mini games. If FF7R is a 3-parter, we are getting out of Midgar on disc 1.

Arriving at Costa del Sol seems like a more realistic stopping point. Storywise we'll end with a Jenova boss battle. And game development wise we'd get Kalm, the Chocobo Ranch, Fort Condor, and Junon taken care of, not to mention the mountain cave and all the enemy encounters in between.

I can't imagine they'll save all of that for Part 2 in addition to the train tracks, Barrets town, the Golden Saucer, Zack's town, Cosmo Canyon, Nibelheim, Cid's town, Wutai, the temple, the dig site, and the rest leading up to the Aeris scene. Plus the overworld and everything else that happens. Midgar isn't THAT big.

MisterMangu

Banned
Feb 12, 2018
I really don't understand how some of you believe that Part 1 is Midgar and then Part 2 is the rest of "disc 1."

Like, yeah, Midgar is big. But there is SO MUCH between leaving Midgar and the end of disc 1. Locations, story bits, enemy encounters, materia combinations, mini games. If FF7R is a 3-parter, we are getting out of Midgar on disc 1.

Arriving at Costa del Sol seems like a more realistic stopping point. Storywise we'll end with a Jenova boss battle. And game development wise we'd get Kalm, the Chocobo Ranch, Fort Condor, and Junon taken care of, not to mention the mountain cave and all the enemy encounters in between.

I can't imagine they'll save all of that for Part 2 in addition to the train tracks, Barrets town, the Golden Saucer, Zack's town, Cosmo Canyon, Nibelheim, Cid's town, Wutai, the temple, the dig site, and the rest leading up to the Aeris scene. Plus the overworld and everything else that happens. Midgar isn't THAT big.
I agree with you.

Costa Del Sol is definitely the better spot to end part 1 if they are still doing the whole multipart thing. It feels like you enter a new chapter after it, even giving the gang a little break by enjoying the beach.

I'm really hoping they scrapped that dumb multipart idea though.

OP
OP
Koozek

Koozek

Oct 25, 2017
I'm really hoping they scrapped that dumb multipart idea though.
Well, if you're willing to wait until 2024 or so for a hypothetical full remake (outside of the fact that it doesn't make sense business-wise to sell 2-3 games worth of content for the price of one game). Considering the scale of the original and the quality AAA games must have nowadays, there's no way they could've made anything but a heavily abridged version of FFVIIR in the same timeframe as Part 1 probably (late 2019 or so) - if they would've managed even that at all. Kitase and Nomura said they didn't want to cut anything significant and instead even flesh everything out more.

Oct 25, 2017
I mean if we're getting a trailer or extended look at the game. It'll no doubt be at the SE conference. And maybe a repeat trailer at Sony's

Oct 30, 2017
AIR BUSTER!!!

...... it looks so majestic anf shinny ;_;

A decent long trailer with 2019 as a release window date beter be there in E3.

I've been saying this all along since they have announced that the Remake will be divided into parts... put some people just refuse to think logically.

IMG the remake would be divided into:

Part 1: From beginning till leaving the first continent and fighting Jenova.

Part 2: The 2nd continent till the end of Disc 1 "OR" Meteor being summoned.

Part 3: The Rest.