• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
Koozek

Koozek

Oct 25, 2017
The footage of Midgar seems like a very different take on the city. Seems like the color scheme that represents the city is very blue in FMV and realtime footage. Kinda like Blade Runner ?
You mean the richer city parts above the plates? Those parts we never really saw in the original in daylight if I'm not mistaken.

4mieg3A.jpg

GiMicWB.jpg

The other sections we saw from the remake don't look blue-ish to me:

UTH1qrP.jpg

Q9tZtrG.png

VQIl4B5.jpg

5vtGKRj.jpg

Byvar

Oct 26, 2017
Interestingly, the image in the OP seems to look a lot more like the PSX footage than the more recent screenshot (the last image in Koozek's post above). Especially the command menu and the lighting. I'm kinda glad, because I like that style better.

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
Where was it ever stated this movie will be 3 parts? For all we know it could be 5 parts.
It was never said to be "x" number of parts iirc. I guess people are just wondering/comparing these games to the XIII trilogy (as the XIII games were used as a template for what we should expect; Kitase likened both, I think).

I think it'll be 3 or 4, but I'm not too sure. It all boils down to how much they expand on Midgar and also some parts of the original that were quite fast and empty in comparison.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
I'm really excited to see all of those awkward polygon bosses in 3D. I think VII needed it more than any other Final Fantasy.

MisterMangu

Banned
Feb 12, 2018
Well, if you're willing to wait until 2024 or so for a hypothetical full remake (outside of the fact that it doesn't make sense business-wise to sell 2-3 games worth of content for the price of one game). Considering the scale of the original and the quality AAA games must have nowadays, there's no way they could've made anything but a heavily abridged version of FFVIIR in the same timeframe as Part 1 probably (late 2019 or so) - if they would've managed even that at all. Kitase and Nomura said they didn't want to cut anything significant and instead even flesh everything out more.
I'd be willing to wait 5+ years, yes.

And that's BS. The open world games of today prove that you can have massive games on one installment. That 3 part thing because FF7 is so big is BS.

I love the original game, and while the world is big it's no where near the size of most AAA open world games...let alone bigger than say Witcher 3.

All Squeenix is trying to do is milk the franchise as much as they can. Which they really don't need to do..a good game sells itself.

Deleted member 721

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Btw about tifa in the pic, we can see that she's using something short since we can see most of her legs maybe a skirt, and she seems to be using high top sneakers?

Edit: my mistake

Last edited:

Gaia Lanzer

Oct 25, 2017
You mean the richer city parts above the plates? Those parts we never really saw in the original in daylight if I'm not mistaken.

4mieg3A.jpg

GiMicWB.jpg

The other sections we saw from the remake don't look blue-ish to me:

UTH1qrP.jpg

Q9tZtrG.png

VQIl4B5.jpg

5vtGKRj.jpg
They modernized the look of the upper city. In FFVII (even in some of the FFVII Compilation, save AC), it had an older look to it.
latest
latest
latest
ffvii19.jpg
latest

The earlier CG shot of the remake got that look across too:
Midgar%2BFF7%2BRemake.png

I was always under the impression that the Shinra HQ was supposed to be the most "modern" and sleek building in ALL of Midgar. I just saw Shinra, being as power hungry as they were, would never allow any other part of the city to out-class their own HQ.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017

4mieg3A.jpg

GiMicWB.jpg

For what it's worth, my interpretation is that these blue-hued shots are set post-FFVII, mostly because of all the construction equipment (suggesting rebuilding) and the subway listing Edge (the town built outside Midgar's ruins in Advent Children), but there's also the way the narration flows. That's just a theory of mine, but I can't see them letting the in-game Midgar upper plate look this sleek and modern, unless they really want to drive home the class metaphor.

I also figure the first trailer was almost entirely pre-rendered (except maybe the final Slums shot) so who knows.

Vaibhav

Banned
Apr 29, 2018
Square will be releasing this in episodic fashion.

I guess this might be final boss for first episode. If thats the case it just might release in 2021.

OP
OP
Koozek

Koozek

Oct 25, 2017
They seem that way to me and it's still below the plate

qsfdddfgjvqna.png

qsfdfgdfh9o7y.png

fghfghgfksq9o.png

sfgsdfgfgxsosa.png
The in-game ones don't look blue-ish to me at all? oO And most of the E3 trailer's CGI shots had very brown- and green-ish look, just like the original Midgar.

Square will be releasing this in episodic fashion.

I guess this might be final boss for first episode. If thats the case it just might release in 2021.
Wat. This boss is like 1-2 hours in the game. And it's not Telltale-style episodes, lol. It's full-scale games a la the FFXIII trilogy (or Mass Effect).

They modernized the look of the upper city. In FFVII (even in some of the FFVII Compilation, save AC), it had an older look to it.
latest
latest
latest
ffvii19.jpg
latest

The earlier CG shot of the remake got that look across too:
Midgar%2BFF7%2BRemake.png

I was always under the impression that the Shinra HQ was supposed to be the most "modern" and sleek building in ALL of Midgar. I just saw Shinra, being as power hungry as they were, would never allow any other part of the city to out-class their own HQ.
Maybe they modernized just parts of the upper city or added a new layer to make the wealth-gap even clearer (or we never saw those more modern parts with skyscrapers in the original).

I'd be willing to wait 5+ years, yes.

And that's BS. The open world games of today prove that you can have massive games on one installment. That 3 part thing because FF7 is so big is BS.

I love the original game, and while the world is big it's no where near the size of most AAA open world games...let alone bigger than say Witcher 3.

All Squeenix is trying to do is milk the franchise as much as they can. Which they really don't need to do..a good game sells itself.
It's already been 3 years since the reveal and it's been in development even longer since around 2014 or so, so another 5+ years would put it at ~9 years in 2024. Ain't nobody want that again after Versus. (Only other comparable game when it releases will be Cyberpunk 2077 which was announced in 2012 and we still haven't seen any gameplay of - but people have more goodwill and trust towards CDPR than SE, I guess.)

And map size doesn't equal asset volume. Name me an open-world game with a similar number of unique locations, cities, towns, dungeons, enemies and bosses, huge summons, main and side characters, quite a bit of setpieces etc. Not even TW3 is comparable, I'd say.

Just as a reminder and these aren't even all locations (haven't included all dungeons and sub-areas):

U62WJe2.jpg

NlbtZ5S.png

d3m3MeH.png

DV5XKYk.png

xAU1WXe.png

tU8nwRX.png

5ZUgAlR.jpg

qDj2upj.jpg

TmsHMkp.png

ZeDkL5G.jpg

zvm80pT.png

Z1mXOUC.png

19ummv1.jpg

f00lU8t.png

rtYItlS.jpg

6Ha1g9v.png

xHDzmUG.jpg

nrYKRwY.jpg

OiDCMvW.png

f33xN6s.png

PWIkRBF.png

P855xor.png

HnWEOTo.png

sg7EQba.jpg

DLEjQNE.jpg

oM69Yyu.png

nlHexa2.jpg

t7vDeK3.jpg

All those are wildy different with barely any reusable assets - unlike TW3 that could copy-past some of its settlements/towns - and they have to be fully redesigned and increased in detail and size to realistic scale. You expect all that in AAA quality in one release in the usual dev time (~5 years nowadays)? SE isn't Ubisoft or Rockstar with dozens of studios all around the world and over a thousand (!) people collaborating on one game.

And these are just the locations - now imagine how much dialog and cutscenes and all must be well-directed and fully-voiced.

Whompa

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Whatever that is, it looks hella prerendered and touched up.

Highly HIGHLY doubt that's a direct screen grab.

Deleted member 27551

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Can we ban ALL news on this game. I'm trying to put it to the back of my mind as I know it won't be out for ages. I see some news then I go all giddy then realise again how long we have to wait :(

Brix

Oct 25, 2017
Square should put a playable FF7R demo included with kingdom hearts 3. If it's playable of course. I hope we get a trailer or something at E3. We've been really patient.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
All those are wildy different with barely any reusable assets - unlike TW3 that could copy-past some of its settlements/towns - and they have to be fully redesigned and increased in detail and size to realistic scale. You expect all that in AAA quality in one release in the usual dev time (~5 years nowadays)? SE isn't Ubisoft or Rockstar with dozens of studios all around the world and over a thousand (!) people collaborating on one game.

And these are just the locations - now imagine how much dialog and cutscenes and all must be well-directed and fully-voiced.

It's obvious FF7 has a much more beefy and expansive world than The Witcher 3. That it is somehow up for debate often in this forum is frankly weird