• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

potatohead

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Earthbound
Thesebkinds of posts are so pathetic.

Kingdom Hearts III which is looking amazing
Dragon Quest XI
Octopath Traveller
Babylon's Fall, a new action RPG collaboration with Platinum Games
Left Alive
Avengers
Just Cause 4
Tomb Raider
Continued support of Life is Strange universe
+ plenty of smaller releases

Yet some people get hyperbolic hissyfits hoping thousands of people should lose their job because a particular game wasn't shown at this particular game advertisement event. SQEX is in better shape than in a decade. Games require years to develop, big fucking deal. Get the fuck over it instead of above kind silliness.
I partly agree but you can't give square Japan credit for eidos properties on schedule in Montreal or elsewhere they have absolutely no role whatsoever in tomb raider or just cause release schedules or production or readiness for shows

Square Japan is justly criticized for a lack of communication as they should be. If Sony can show gameplay of tlou2 and justly be criticized for no release date then square absolutely should be critiqued for showing literally nothing after a much much longer duration

Exellus

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Are Japanese devs so backwards, that they would silently cancel this game and simply never address it again?

I'm serious. If they WERE to cancel it, when would we hear about it? Would we ever hear about it?

Or would they simply move on to other things and never talk about it?

Calliope

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Detroit, MI
It's interesting the Smash conference made a point of mentioning Marth would be fully voiced in English, and that David Hayter was back to voice Snake but nothing on Cloud. Makes me think they've possibly moved on from Steve but haven't cast anyone new yet.

Hayeya

Oct 29, 2017
Canada
Calling it right now, the episodic nature of the game is scrapped and only 1 complete game will be released. Otherwise the trilogy will be completed when aliens occupy earth.

Oct 25, 2017
Calling it right now, the episodic nature of the game is scrapped and only 1 complete game will be released. Otherwise the trilogy will be completed when aliens occupy earth.

Why would releasing it as just one part make it come sooner? Unless you are suggesting they make lots of cuts, which may indeed happen, but without them it would make no sense. It's just wishful thinking, sadly.

They did that, outsource the game completely and it was a disaster.

But they already tried that and they had to move it in-house and (according to rumours) scrap the whole thing and re-start because it was a disaster

Lol, I know, that's why I said "they shouldn't really do that", though I suppose I should have made it more clear. I just mean that they do a good job generating hype, but a bad job delivering. When I was jokingly suggesting they just outsource it all, I was thinking of outsourcing to a huge developer that can handle the work.

But yeah, I was a bit tired when I made that post and I thought of bringing up that ironically they did exactly what I was saying and it screwed them over, but I wasn't clear headed enough to word my post completely correctly.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Koozek

Koozek

Oct 25, 2017
Why would releasing it as just one part make it come sooner? Unless you are suggesting they make lots of cuts, which may indeed happen, but without them it would make no sense. It's just wishful thinking, sadly.
Yeah, I don't understand these posts either. The fact that the game is split in multiple games is the only reason you'll get to play the remake before 2023 or so. Unless people mean an abridged version of FFVII, which Nomura and Kitase both emphasized they wouldn't want to do.
Kitase:
One thing that we wanted to be clear about during this weekend to accompany the new trailer was the scale of this project. We wanted to tell you this now and not in the future so that you'd share our vision for what we want to deliver. The biggest reason why we haven't done a remake until now is because it's a massive undertaking to reconstruct FINAL FANTASY VII from the ground up with the current technology. Producing a proper HD remake of FINAL FANTASY VII that maintains the same feeling of density of the original would result in a volume of content that couldn't possibly fit into one instalment.

We've seen everyone's comments and reactions to the news that FINAL FANTASY VII REMAKE will be a multi-part series and many have speculated correctly as to the reason why we have made this decision. If we were to try to fit everything from the original into one remake instalment, we would have to cut various parts and create a condensed version of FINAL FANTASY VII. We knew none of you would have wanted that.

I hope that by explaining a little more about our design decisions that you can appreciate the size of this project and what we have planned for this remake. Going beyond the scale and depth of the world, narrative and gameplay from the original to deliver something that feels familiar yet new. As I said before, we like delivering surprises. :)

Source.
"From the beginning, we thought a Final Fantasy VII remake would be bigger than a single release," the game's original director Yoshinori Kitase told Dengeki Online.

"If you did get it into a single release, there would be things we'd have to put into a shortened compilation," Tetsuya Nomura, FFVII's character designer, added. "Since we thought there would be stuff we would probably have to pare down and supplemental things we probably couldn't add, we decided to divide it up, concluding that we have to do a remake that's fully packed with content."

Source.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's interesting the Smash conference made a point of mentioning Marth would be fully voiced in English, and that David Hayter was back to voice Snake but nothing on Cloud. Makes me think they've possibly moved on from Steve but haven't cast anyone new yet.

No mention of his final smash either.

With other characters getting their allies added you'd think this would be the perfect opportunity to add some of Cloud's friends for his attack.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I don't understand these posts either. The fact that the game is split in multiple games is the only reason you'll get to play the remake before 2023 or so. Unless people mean an abridged version of FFVII, which Nomura and Kitase both emphasized they wouldn't want to do.

Yeah, it's funny. I mean I get why people would feel like Square-Enix would (or must) "make up" for the fact that it's been too long since we last heard about this, but the idea that it would take less time to put everything into one complete package with no cuts is kind of hilarious. It's just a dream, it's not like part 1 is taking forever because they can't figure out the logistics of releasing it as 3 games and not 1, it's taking forever because they still haven't figured out how to properly manage their production pipeline. It is true that it probably will take just a bit longer to develop 3 total games because they will feel obligated to make graphical and mechanical improvements as they go, but I'd estimate that that'd just shift the total development time from 12 years (yeah I can see part 3 ending in 2026) to just 10 (in which case we'd wait until 2024 to play the first bit, but we'd get everything).

Honestly, even though we're dying to play the game, by 2024 Square-Enix would be dying to profit from the game too, and as sad as it is, I don't see it as very likely at all that they will release the complete thing in one go simply because they wouldn't get enough return on their investment. A complete version will probably be released at the end of next gen, but until then, we'll be getting the "FFVII series" throughout next gen.

Edit:

To re-iterate a question I asked last night (or was it earlier? I don't remember), does anyone have any suggestions for Steam version mods that refresh FFVII? I've been meaning to play it for a while, and at this point I'm resigned to think that it will be finished in like 8 years, so I might as well just get in with the original. How is the "beacause" fan re-translation? Any mods that make the world view models of characters better while matching the CG cutscenes artstyle? Thanks.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Koozek

Koozek

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, it's funny. I mean I get why people would feel like Square-Enix would (or must) "make up" for the fact that it's been too long since we last heard about this, but the idea that it would take less time to put everything into one complete package with no cuts is kind of hilarious. It's just a dream, it's not like part 1 is taking forever because they can't figure out the logistics of releasing it as 3 games and not 1, it's taking forever because they still haven't figured out how to properly manage their production pipeline. It is true that it probably will take just a bit longer to develop 3 total games because they will feel obligated to make graphical and mechanical improvements as they go, but I'd estimate that that'd just shift the total development time from 12 years (yeah I can see part 3 ending in 2026) to just 10 (in which case we'd wait until 2024 to play the first bit, but we'd get everything).

Honestly, even though we're dying to play the game, by 2024 Square-Enix would be dying to profit from the game too, and as sad as it is, I don't see it as very likely at all that they will release the complete thing in one go simply because they wouldn't get enough return on their investment. A complete version will probably be released at the end of next gen, but until then, we'll be getting the "FFVII series" throughout next gen.
2026 is a bit too pessimistic^^ I assume Part 1 late 2019/early 2020, Part 2 two years later (or possibly three years depending on whether or not Part 1 already has implemented parts of the overworld at least or Part 2 has the full burden), and Part 3 two years later max since it can reuse most of the assets from the other two games and the last third of the game had a lot of backtracking anyway - so ending in 2023/2024.

Oct 25, 2017
2026 is a bit too pessimistic^^ I assume Part 1 late 2019/early 2020, Part 2 two years later (or possibly three years depending on whether or not Part 1 already has implemented parts of the overworld at least or Part 2 has the full burden), and Part 3 two years later max since it can reuse most of the assets from the other two games and the last third of the game had a lot of backtracking anyway - so ending in 2023/2024.

I'm basically assuming a normal development time of three years for part 2 and part 3, and part 1 coming in 2020 like you thought. While 2026 sounds really bad (and it is), it seems to me that assuming they can crank out 2 and 3 (assuming it is only a trilogy) is just a bit too optimistic given that they've basically said they want them to all be the size of "full JRPGs". It sucks, but that's what I'm thinking is gonna turn out to be the reality of the situation. 3 years per game is honestly a good "normal" pace for a full size game, and even though I do think they can reuse a lot of stuff, I also feel like they'll feel pressured to keep upgrading the engine and mechanics with each entry (when they should probably just focus on delivering the rest), and that's why I think it'll take 3.

Amusingly, even though we both agreed that Hayeya was being silly for thinking they have to release as one entry or else the whole thing will never come out, after thinking about it a bit more I really actually do think that they would have a slight 2 year edge if they didn't worry about upgrading things in between episodes. I hope to be proven wrong, but that's how it seems to me. I could be wrong though. It probably doesn't help that I still don't have a complete understanding of the original's scope since even though I basically know the full story at this point from people talking about it, I still haven't played it for myself yet. That could be affecting my understanding of just how much time it'd make sense for parts 2 and 3 to take to be developed.

Oct 28, 2017
Here's the thing, SE already screwed up by announcing this too early. So it's in their best interest to release a reasonable amount of information over a reasonable amount of time; or at the bare minimum communicate and be transparent about the project with the public. This is partially why you don't announce a project (too) early.

Oct 25, 2017
Here's the thing, SE already screwed up by announcing this too early. So it's in their best interest to release a reasonable amount of information over a reasonable amount of time; or at the bare minimum communicate and be transparent about the project with the public. This is partially why you don't announce project (too) early.

I don't know if you're replying to me or just the situation, but I'll assume this is a reply. I definitely agree that they need to be way more communicative, and I don't think 3 years per game is a great pace considering how much we'll be waiting for part 1 (6 years in my estimation, 2014-2020). I certainly think they need to be about as communicative FF XV was with the ATRs starting from PSX imo, but we're just wishing right now. I will say that once they get their stuff in order for part 1 I think they'll start being more communicative and I don't think parts 2 and 3 will fall into "development hell" like part 1, but I do think it'll still be an uncomfortably long wait.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017

I feel this is now best case, and I no longer expect best case with FF. When I'm feeling optimistic I think now Part 1 will be out late 2020 - A: if they basically started from scratch when bringing back from CC, this game is still pretty early, and B. if it gets close enough to PS5, they'll want to go all in for next gen, or at least cross-gen, and then we have to wait for them to figure out how to polish things to an even higher level AND for attach rate to get high enough to even make it worth releasing next gen. This could easily be 2022 or 2023. Then I'd say 3 years for next two parts is pushing it if they're not going to use major outsourcing/parallel development (which CC fail suggests they won't). Every time tech and competition improves they're going to want VIIR to improve apace, and if part one is as delayed as I suspect it will be, part 2 could be close to next next gen, and then....

If part 3 isn't out until 2030 I wouldn't bat an eye, though at some point they could just cancel the whole thing.

Oct 30, 2017
Part 1 will be released Q1 2020 on PS4... the following year it will be ported to the PS5.

Part 2 will be released Q4 2022 \ Q1 2023, they said each part will be like a whole game in size and no way they are making that in less than 3 years.

Part 3 will be released sometimes two yesrs after Part 2 Q4 2024 \ Q1 2025 since it will be reuse a lot of what they have builded in the first two parts.

So we should have the whole trilogy in 5 years... 2020 \ 2025.

BocoDragon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I don't think it's odd to think of the VII Remake project as something that could span a decade or more.

Look at the model of the Evangelion Rebuild movies.

Oct 28, 2017
I don't know if you're replying to me or just the situation, but I'll assume this is a reply. I definitely agree that they need to be way more communicative, and I don't think 3 years per game is a great pace considering how much we'll be waiting for part 1 (6 years in my estimation, 2014-2020). I certainly think they need to be about as communicative FF XV was with the ATRs starting from PSX imo, but we're just wishing right now. I will say that once they get their stuff in order for part 1 they'll start being more communicative and I don't think parts 2 and 3 will fall into "development hell" like part 1, but I do think it'll still be an uncomfortably long wait.

Oh no it was in general, it was a convo I saw going on the last page, something about everyone being unfairly salty. I agree nonetheless, or at least if they handle this properly I expect your outcome. The main development woes that we should expect for part 2 and part 3 are mostly graphical asset generation, music and script shouldn't be an issue. The team should be familiar with UE4 and how to use it to fits their needs by then. Programming-wise all they really have to do is the gameplay programming, well it should as long as they're not trying to expand UE4, that could cause some headaches. Especially if they try it for Part 2 and Part 3 features.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I don't think it's odd to think of the VII Remake project as something that could span a decade or more.

Isn't the model of Evangelion Rebuild that the director puts it off for to writer's block/disinterest so the production team has to keep poking him with a stick until he feels like making the next movie?

Kieli

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Part 1 will be released Q1 2020 on PS4... the following year it will be ported to the PS5.

Part 2 will be released Q4 2022 \ Q1 2023, they said each part will be like a whole game in size and no way they are making that in less than 3 years.

Part 3 will be released sometimes two yesrs after Part 2 Q4 2024 \ Q1 2025 since it will be reuse a lot of what they have builded in the first two parts.

So we should have the whole trilogy in 5 years... 2020 \ 2025.

Sounds like very reasonable timeline to me. I think if I can just get my hands on FFVII/Re, I'll be satisfied with however long they take to make the rest (because you know they're going to tweak things based on user feedback).

OP
OP
Koozek

Koozek

Oct 25, 2017
I'm basically assuming a normal development time of three years for part 2 and part 3, and part 1 coming in 2020 like you thought. While 2026 sounds really bad (and it is), it seems to me that assuming they can crank out 2 and 3 (assuming it is only a trilogy) is just a bit too optimistic given that they've basically said they want them to all be the size of "full JRPGs". It sucks, but that's what I'm thinking is gonna turn out to be the reality of the situation. 3 years per game is honestly a good "normal" pace for a full size game, and even though I do think they can reuse a lot of stuff, I also feel like they'll feel pressured to keep upgrading the engine and mechanics with each entry (when they should probably just focus on delivering the rest), and that's why I think it'll take 3.

Amusingly, even though we both agreed that Hayeya was being silly for thinking they have to release as one entry or else the whole thing will never come out, after thinking about it a bit more I really actually do think that they would have a slight 2 year edge if they didn't worry about upgrading things in between episodes. I hope to be proven wrong, but that's how it seems to me. I could be wrong though. It probably doesn't help that I still don't have a complete understanding of the original's scope since even though I basically know the full story at this point from people talking about it, I still haven't played it for myself yet. That could be affecting my understanding of just how much time it'd make sense for parts 2 and 3 to take to be developed.
I can see where you're coming from too, but I do think that they will be much more efficient after Part 1 since the core mechanics will have been done (and most likely don't change much between the games) and the team will have much more experience with the engine. The same team managed to get two FFXIII sequels out in two years each because they were more efficient after FFXIII and could reuse some of the assets. Granted, their production value decreased with each sequel, especially the third one, but they also had new content and concepts; the third one, LR, basically had a completely new semi-open world and very different combat (the best in the series, imo) and gameplay loops.

FFVIIR will have less reinventing between the different games and gradually be able to reuse more assets. The last one especially should be able to be made in much shorter times (if you didn't play the game: there's quite a bit of backtracking in the last third). The second one will have the disadvantage of having to implement most of the world if the first part is indeed just mostly set in Midgar or at the very best ends at the cargo ship in Junon, which would then include the first continent consisting of the town Kalm, the swamps, the Chocobo farm, the first cave, Junon (city during military parade!), and the cargo ship - depending on how they're planning on realizing the worldmap, that's gonna be a ton of work at the AAA quality they're aiming for.

Oct 30, 2017
Sounds like very reasonable timeline to me. I think if I can just get my hands on FFVII/Re, I'll be satisfied with however long they take to make the rest (because you know they're going to tweak things based on user feedback).
Yes it is the most reasonable scenario... I don't think we will see FFVII Remake till next E3 and then it will be promoted as Spring 2020 title.

There won't be FFXV or KH3 or DQXI or any big title of their big flagships Japanese franchises because they are all have been released since the announcement of the Remake, then it would be the time for it to be the main focus under the spotlights.

Aokiji

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
if the final version is not until *10 years* after the announcement, that is horrible on SE part. Especially considering the titles that will have been announced-released in less time

Kieli

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yes it is the most reasonable scenario... I don't think we will see FFVII Remake till next E3 and then it will be promoted as Spring 2020 title.

There won't be FFXV or KH3 or DQXI or any big title of their big flagships Japanese franchises because they are all have been released since the announcement of the Remake, then it would be the time for it to be the main focus under the spotlights.

Also, we have fiscal years to consider. May not matter much to us as consumers, but it probably matters a lot to SE execs.

They have 2018 solidified due to KH3 releasing in early Q4 2018. It remains to be seen what they have in store for 2019 fiscal year. Some speculate Avengers, but that is questionable given its absence in this year's E3.

Also, I have a strong feeling FFVIIREPART1 will release on PS5. If not exclusively, then definitely cross-platform like Persona 5 was. I hope we can see the trilogy on PS5 without spilling over to PS6.

Oct 25, 2017

Ha, good comparison.

Isn't the model of Evangelion Rebuild that the director puts it off for to writer's block/disinterest so the production team has to keep poking him with a stick until he feels like making the next movie?

More like writer's block + revisiting Evangelion means revisiting a portion of the deep depression he was in when originally making the show, but yeah it's a bit like that. I don't think Nomura is having issues with FFVII because of depression, but it is kind of comparable, haha.

Does this mean part 3 will be an frustrating mess?

That could happen regardless, though I don't think they'll radically subvert expectations no. On a side note, I agree 3.0 was disappointing in a lot of ways, but I do think it did some things right. It's kind of like the Last Jedi imo, the core plot with Kaworu is well done (comparable to plot with Luke) in my opinion but not much else happens and a lot of the movies problems are because characters weren't communicating with eachother properly (in particular, Holdo is kind of comparable to Misato, lol), leading to people attempting to make big dramatic heroic acts that ended up making things worse. A good 7.5, but definitely frustrating, and squandering a lot of potential that could have been capitalized on like:
like how we barely got anything from Asuka and Misato and now there won't be time to fully explore them before the end, and how Leia didn't end up doing much and now she can't
. Anyways, that's enough off-topic stuff, lol.

Oh no it was in general, it was a convo I saw going on the last page, something about everyone being unfairly salty. I agree nonetheless, or at least if they handle this properly I expect your outcome. The main development woes that we should expect for part 2 and part 3 are mostly graphical asset generation, music and script shouldn't be an issue. The team should be familiar with UE4 and how to use it to fits their needs by then. Programming-wise all they really have to do is the gameplay programming, well it should as long as they're not trying to expand UE4, that could cause some headaches. Especially if they try it for Part 2 and Part 3 features.

Ah I see. Yeah I agree that it should be relatively "smooth sailing" for parts 2 and 3, but that still means a typical development time of 3 years each by my estimation.

Oct 28, 2017
Ha, good comparison.

More like writer's block + revisiting Evangelion means revisiting a portion of the deep depression he was in when originally making the show, but yeah it's a bit like that. I don't think Nomura is having issues with FFVII because of depression, but it is kind of comparable, haha.

That could happen regardless, though I don't think they'll radically subvert expectations no. On a side note, I agree 3.0 was disappointing in a lot of ways, but I do think it did some things right. It's kind of like the Last Jedi imo, the core plot with Kaworu is well done (comparable to plot with Luke) in my opinion but not much else happens and a lot of the movies problems are because characters weren't communicating with eachother properly (in particular, Holdo is kind of comparable to Misato, lol), leading to people attempting to make big dramatic heroic acts that ended up making things worse. A good 7.5, but definitely frustrating, and squandering a lot of potential that could have been capitalized on like:
like how we barely got anything from Asuka and Misato and now there won't be time to fully explore them before the end, and how Leia didn't end up doing much and now she can't
. Anyways, that's enough off-topic stuff, lol.

Ah I see. Yeah I agree that it should be relatively "smooth sailing" for parts 2 and 3, but that still means a typical development time of 3 years each by my estimation.

Yeah, you're right on the money. That's a pretty safe estimate.

They're not going to do shit with him are they.

No assist trophies, new music or anything.

I think they have to pay (more) licensing for that stuff so...

Oct 25, 2017
I can see where you're coming from too, but I do think that they will be much more efficient after Part 1 since the core mechanics will have been done (and most likely don't change much between the games) and the team will have much more experience with the engine. The same team managed to get two FFXIII sequels out in two years each because they were more efficient after FFXIII and could reuse some of the assets. Granted, their production value decreased with each sequel, especially the third one, but they also had new content and concepts; the third one, LR, basically had a completely new semi-open world and very different combat (the best in the series, imo) and gameplay loops.

FFVIIR will have less reinventing between the different games and gradually be able to reuse more assets. The last one especially should be able to be made in much shorter times (if you didn't play the game: there's quite a bit of backtracking in the last third). The second one will have the disadvantage of having to implement most of the world if the first part is indeed just mostly set in Midgar or at the very best ends at the cargo ship in Junon, which would then include the first continent consisting of the town Kalm, the swamps, the Chocobo farm, the first cave, Junon (city during military parade!), and the cargo ship - depending on how they're planning on realizing the worldmap, that's gonna be a ton of work at the AAA quality they're aiming for.

Yeah, we'll see. I certainly hope for 2 years, but this is Square-Enix, so who knows? :)
The issue with comparing to FFXIII is that those games will be two generations ago by the time they're working on part 2, and even though better tools mean better production schedules, I still see parts 2 and 3 as having some issues keeping a 2 year pace again because I think they'll strive to push the graphical envelope with each one. We can only hope. I am pretty sure they won't stumble once part 1 is on track though. It just might take a while (and honestly considering how crazy things are, even part 1 in 2020 seems oddly optimistic to me, even though I still believe it).

I guess in that sense, I believe part 1 is already on track, but it's just not ready to show. They rebooted development relatively recently it seems, so even the wait is excruciating I think they won't screw up so bad again. But ultimately the whole project will still take 12 years imo. It's nuts we'll have to wait that long, but at least we'll likely get part 1 as a cool launch title for next gen!

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, you're right on the money. That's a pretty safe estimate.

I think they have to pay (more) licensing for that stuff so...

They're definitely not going to bother with his English voice then. :/

At least give the guy his Kingdom Hearts costume. Missed opportunity.

I wouldn't put it past Sakurai to have put in some extra stuff for Cloud. The game's just had it's first showing, don't worry about everything not being laid out in complete detail, lol. It's good to be prepared for the worst, but considering how "all out" they seem to be going with this, I'd be surprised if there isn't at least some more music.

Oct 28, 2017
I wouldn't put it past Sakurai to have put in some extra stuff for Cloud. The game's just had it's first showing, don't worry about everything not being laid out in complete detail, lol. It's good to be prepared for the worst, but considering how "all out" they seem to be going with this, I'd be surprised if there isn't at least some more music.

Who knows, maybe Nintendo has to pay less for the Cloud stuff because it "advertises" the remake.

Oct 25, 2017
Who knows, maybe Nintendo has to pay less for the Cloud stuff because it "advertises" the remake.

It is certainly possible, though I doubt it, lol. I think Square-Enix just sees Cloud as their FF rep, and not as specifically tying into the remake. Even though it's silly to ask for much more from Sakurai, Terra would be a neat new FF rep, but he kind of looks like he's done adding any more third party reps, haha. That poor guy. I hope he gets to retire from Smash after this, I seriously do think he doesn't have to helm them all from here to eternity. Let him move on after this, I say.

Oct 28, 2017
It is certainly possible, though I doubt it, lol. I think Square-Enix just sees Cloud as their FF rep, and not as specifically tying into the remake. Even though it's silly to ask for much more from Sakurai, Terra would be a neat new FF rep, but he kind of looks like he's done adding any more third party reps, haha. That poor guy. I hope he gets to retire from Smash after this, I seriously do think he doesn't have to helm them all from here to eternity. Let him move on after this, I say.

Terra would be nice indeed. As far as I understand he can retire from the series, he just refuses to.

Calliope

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Detroit, MI
It's possible, but they had so little new to say on Cloud that they had to resort to highlighting that you can play in his VII costume or AC costume again. Like, what else was he going to wear?

Plus it seems like voice work is well underway and Cloud only has like eight or nine lines anyway which makes me think it's not worth the effort despite Steve usually being game to voice Cloud any chance he can.

But I do really hope you're right though and they add stuff like new assist trophies. It's just hard to be optimistic for anything FF related after yesterday lol

Oct 25, 2017
Terra would be nice indeed. As far as I understand he can retire from the series, he just refuses to.

Yeah, I wish he would let himself retire though. It seems like it's wearing him down over time, but I appreciate his dedication and don't want to discredit his sacrifice by saying he's utterly replaceable. Just saying that he can let go, you know?

It's possible, but they had so little new to say on Cloud that they had to resort to highlighting that you can play in his VII costume or AC costume again. Like, what else was he going to wear?

Plus it seems like voice work is well underway and Cloud only has like eight or nine lines anyway which makes me think it's not worth the effort despite Steve usually being game to voice Cloud any chance he can.

But I do really hope you're right though and they add stuff like new assist trophies. It's just hard to be optimistic for anything FF related after yesterday lol

True, highlighting that he's the same as before is a little funny because unlike with some characters he does look pretty much like he was straightforwardly ported to Ultimate.

I'd be surprised if they don't add some nods to at least more general FF stuff though. A chocobo/moogle assist trophy at the very least seems likely.

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, I wish he would let himself retire though. It seems like it's wearing him down over time, but I appreciate his dedication and don't want to discredit his sacrifice by saying he's utterly replaceable. Just saying that he can let go, you know?

True, highlighting that he's the same as before is a little funny because unlike with some characters he does look pretty much like he was straightforwardly ported to Ultimate.

I'd be surprised if they don't add some nods to at least more general FF stuff though. A chocobo/moogle assist trophy at the very least seems likely.

Yeah no kidding, we have on record what this series has done to his health. He's not "replaceable" but in general someone else can do a good enough job. I got it, none of us want him to be doing anything stupid to himself over this series.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah no kidding, we have on record what this series has done to his health. He's not "replaceable" but in general someone else can do a good enough job. I got it, none of us want him to be doing anything stupid to himself over this series.

Yep. BTW I just want to clarify that my intended tone was not "why don't you agree" but "you get what I'm saying?" it's hard to describe but I think you probably understand. The "you know" was with the assumption that you understood.

Back to Sakurai, even though he isn't replaceable, I'd be willing to bet there's someone out there who could bring their own spin and be just as good in their own way. Hopefully Sakurai considers letting Smash go on without him after Ultimate.

That's probably enough off-topic stuff though, haha. Though I wonder how far along FFVII remake's development would be if Sakurai was at the helm?

Oct 28, 2017
Yep. BTW I just want to clarify that my intended tone was not "why don't you agree" but "you get what I'm saying?" it's hard to describe but I think you probably understand. The "you know" was with the assumption that you understood.

Back to Sakurai, even though he isn't replaceable, I'd be willing to bet there's someone out there who could bring their own spin and be just as good in their own way. Hopefully Sakurai considers letting Smash go on without him after Ultimate.

That's probably enough off-topic stuff though, haha. Though I wonder how far along FFVII remake's development would be if Sakurai was at the helm?

Oh no, I knew we were in agreement, it's a mostly a how I speak thing, think nothing of it. If Sakurai was in charge it would most likely would of been done, but it would possibly kill him in the process.

FrontierGamer

Banned
Jan 31, 2018
I was hoping strongly that the Remake of the VII was present at E3 2018.
(but, I also understand the strong concentration of Nomura on Kingdom Hearts 3, which will come out in January)

However, what I do not understand now is, knowing that they also have other related projects to the Final Fantasy saga, among which its spinoffs, why was there no mention of any of them at E3 2018?

What if they want to keep them for other events???
Only of this I wonder.

peetxp

May 30, 2018
Alleged new Cloud design for FF7:R doing the rounds, courtesy of Bazztek at Twitter.

Lnk to more links/images/video at https://twitter.com/_bazztek/status/1016293141798776832

2rmtnw2.jpg

Not sure if I buy it to be honest. Looks like Mobius Cloud or FF XR Ride Cloud to me. If it is the redesign, I think I prefer the PSX 2015 Cloud. I think he looks younger, more 'dorky' and 'awkward' there. Here he has that generic moody staring into your soul look.

But whatever. I'm not that offended. And I realise there'll be others who think the opposite of me

peetxp

May 30, 2018
That's funny, cos I actually started playing FFXV recently, and a friend said precisely the same thing about Prompto in reverse.