• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Brix

Oct 25, 2017
No, I'm talking about the 10s of millions of people who play video games but aren't plugged into gaming news. Like everyone I went to school with played FF7 and post facebook news articles about the remake and will buy it, but they're not the kind of people to be part of a forum, or go on gaming news website. Their exposure comes through adverts, trailers posted on facebook and going into gameshops and seeing what's on the shelves.

IE, the vast majority of people who play video games.
So then they'll buy FF7 Remake in March. And if they enjoy that game they will buy and play the other installments years later.

Edit: I'm not seeing anything confusing about this.

Banzai

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
So then they'll buy FF7 Remake in March. And if they enjoy that game they will buy and play the other installments years later.

How could you not? People who played the original but don't follow the news on this Remake would obviously think it is the entire orignal in a Remake. Unless they put a "Part 1" on it.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia

Or, they buy it, finish it, think the story seemed kind of unfinished due to the major villains still being around, look it up, and get really mad when they find out that the "Final Fantasy VII Remake" they paid launch price for is actually more like "25% of Final Fantasy VII Remake". Like, I'm personally really glad for the multi-part development, but it's absolutely something people should be informed of going in. Right now, the title is misleading and the PSN Store blurb is... well, it's not as explicit as I'd like. It mentions the "multi-part saga" but doesn't make it clear that the following parts are the rest of the original plot rather than new sequels or something, and it mentions Midgar as where the plot begins but doesn't say that's where this whole game is set.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
How could you not? People who played the original but don't follow the news on this Remake would obviously think it is the entire orignal in a Remake. Unless they put a "Part 1" on it.
They just have to put some kind of "The first part in this epic reimagining of a classic JRPG" text on the back of the cover & on the PSN page (as there already is) and past that point, it's people's own fault if they don't do any legwork as to checking out some basic info about the things they buy.

Oct 27, 2017
Mount Airy, MD

So these hypothetical people liked FF7 well enough 20+ years ago to want the remake, but not enough to read any reviews/previews/other info which would talk about the game's contents and scope?

Note, the game's listing on PSN straight up tells you it's part one:

"A spectacular reimagining of one of the most visionary games ever, FINAL FANTASY VII REMAKE rebuilds and expands the legendary RPG for today.

The first entry in a multi-part saga, delivering a level of depth inconceivable for the original. Mind-blowing story, unforgettable characters, epic battles and technical excellence collide.

The world has fallen under the control of the Shinra Electric Power Company, a shadowy corporation controlling the planet's very life force as mako energy.

In the sprawling city of Midgar, an anti-Shinra organization calling themselves Avalanche have stepped up their resistance. Cloud Strife, a former member of Shinra's elite SOLDIER unit now turned mercenary, lends his aid to the group, unaware of the epic consequences that await him."

Nakenorm

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
This is getting ridiculous. If people wanna do an uninformed purchase then let them. Square doesn't need a damn warning sign on the cover telling people it's only part 1 in a series, if anything that would only confuse customers further

Mikebison

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

You cannot fathom a scenario where somebody played FF7 in the 90s and loved it, has since come and gone with gaming, but seen Remake on facebook or through a friend or something, has decided to buy it and then is pissed when it's a 1/3 of the game they remembered?

Because that's a huge portion of the people buying this game. Like I said, I'm excited about the game, I'm fine with the release situation, but a simple Part 1 subtitle or somebody would be extremely useful for a huge amount of people.

Banzai

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
They just have to put some kind of "The first part in this epic reimagining of a classic JRPG" text on the back of the cover & on the PSN page (as there already is) and past that point, it's people's own fault if they don't do any legwork as to checking out some basic info about the things they buy.

For someone to be able to inform themselves that info has to be given somewhere.
If they as you say put that text on the box, okay. If they don't though, what's Joe Normal going to look up? Google "is this game complete or episodic?" or look up old interviews?

Mikebison

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So these hypothetical people liked FF7 well enough 20+ years ago to want the remake, but not enough to read any reviews/previews/other info which would talk about the game's contents and scope?

"A spectacular reimagining of one of the most visionary games ever, FINAL FANTASY VII REMAKE rebuilds and expands the legendary RPG for today.

The first entry in a multi-part saga, delivering a level of depth inconceivable for the original. Mind-blowing story, unforgettable characters, epic battles and technical excellence collide.

The world has fallen under the control of the Shinra Electric Power Company, a shadowy corporation controlling the planet's very life force as mako energy.

In the sprawling city of Midgar, an anti-Shinra organization calling themselves Avalanche have stepped up their resistance. Cloud Strife, a former member of Shinra's elite SOLDIER unit now turned mercenary, lends his aid to the group, unaware of the epic consequences that await him."
Gonna let you in on a secret, 99% who like and play video games aren't dweebs like us who consume media about games. They walk into shops and buy stuff of shelves, hear things through friends and see trailers on FB and the like.

Nakenorm

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
For someone to be able to inform themselves that info has to be given somewhere.
If they as you say put that text on the box, okay. If they don't though, what's Joe Normal going to look up? Google "is this game complete or episodic?" or look up old interviews?

Just google FFVII remake and this is literally the first thing that comes up
Final Fantasy VII Remake is an upcoming action role-playing game developed and published by Square Enix for the PlayStation 4. Split across multiple releases, the first part is scheduled for March 3, 2020.

TheMrPliskin

Oct 26, 2017
Gonna let you in on a secret, 99% who like and play video games aren't dweebs like us who consume media about games. They walk into shops and buy stuff of shelves, hear things through friends and see trailers on FB and the like.
Do they not even bother to look at the product they buy when they walk in stores as well?

Because if the PSN store clearly states that it's only Midgar then it's a safe assumption that a physical copy will as well.

You can probably count the amount of people who will buy FF7R come March and not know that it's just Midgar on one hand.

Brix

Oct 25, 2017
This is getting ridiculous. If people wanna do an uninformed purchase then let them. Square doesn't need a damn warning sign on the cover telling people it's only part 1 in a series, if anything that would only confuse customers further
I gave up on the conversation. People care about casuals being misinformed when it's been stated numerous times it's a trilogy. God of War & Spider-Man should've came out and said this is 25% of the trilogy. Instead of a 30-40 hour game square should take 10 more years making FF7 Remake "complete" with over 120 hours of main story.

I swear some people think all casuals are uninformed idiots that don't know anything and throwing PART 1 on the title won't change a damn thing.

Deleted member 21411

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm sure there are people who think it's more than midgar... but this is why people need to at least see a single preview or review. Hard for me to have empathy on this one when you get a full size game and it's so public.

Banzai

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017

That's neat and all, but we're talking about the people who know the original and are not following the news. Why would they google the title of the remake? To confirm that Final Fantasy VII Remake is in fact a Remake of Final Fantasy VII?

I just don't see the scenario where any normal person stumbles across that info about it being multi-part without explicitely looking for it. Even the PSN text is a little vague, as FFVII has been a "saga" with multiple parts for a looong time.

But I don't know, agree to disagree I guess. I won't be surprised if there's some uproar from people when the credits roll unexpectedly.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia

Even people who have never played the original would be mad if they were expecting Final Fantasy VII Remake to in fact be a full remake of FFVII when it actually wasn't, and I imagine there will be a great many of those. Hell, there will probably be a shitload of people who have avoided anything to do with the original or the marketing because they want their first time with the story to be the remake.

Except, none of this actually explicitly tells you that the original story is being split up. Unless they read it very carefully, I could easily see someone misunderstanding the second paragraph as saying the first game is a remake of the original FFVII, to be followed by continuations that expand the story. The mention of Midgar comes across like just a description of how the story begins, and doesn't make it clear the whole game is set there. You're looking at it from the perspective of someone who's known about the story being split up for years, when plenty of casuals wouldn't have any idea.

See, this is more explicit, and the sort of thing I'd like to see on the box or in an online blurb.

I gave up on the conversation. People care about casuals being misinformed when it's been stated numerous times it's a trilogy.

It's actually never been stated to be a trilogy, so your point that the state of the release is so clearly obvious kind of falls flat.

Do they not even bother to look at the product they buy when they walk in stores as well?

Because if the PSN store clearly states that it's only Midgar then it's a safe assumption that a physical copy will as well.

You can probably count the amount of people who will buy FF7R come March and not know that it's just Midgar on one hand.

The store does not state this.

Last edited:

Awesome Kev

Banned
Jan 10, 2018
i mean... they have a point, guys.

i'm sure plenty of people will by this and be disappointed that it wan't the full game. just because you know it isn't or because they're "dumb casuals" doesn't mean they're wrong.

i think they should stamp a "part 1" onto the box. besides, if anything they're going to need a way to define the second and third installment anyway, right? can't just keep putting ffvii: remake on it. they will have to say part 2 and 3 or something. seems pretty obvious to me, so maybe stop jumping down these guys throats for making a quite fair observation.

TheMrPliskin

Oct 26, 2017
Even people who have never played the original would be mad if they were expecting Final Fantasy VII Remake to in fact be a full remake of FFVII when it actually wasn't, and I imagine there will be a great many of those. Hell, there will probably be a shitload of people who have avoided anything to do with the original or the marketing because they want their first time with the story to be the remake.

Except, none of this actually explicitly tells you that the original story is being split up. Unless they read it very carefully, I could easily see someone misunderstanding the second paragraph as saying the first game is a remake of the original FFVII, to be followed by continuations that expand the story. The mention of Midgar comes across like just a description of how the story begins, and doesn't make it clear the whole game is set there. You're looking at it from the perspective of someone who's known about the story being split up for years, when plenty of casuals wouldn't have any idea.

See, this is more explicit, and the sort of thing I'd like to see on the box or in an online blurb.

It's actually never been stated to be a trilogy, so your point that the state of the release is so clearly obvious kind of falls flat.

The store does not state this.
Why would somebody who has zero experience with the original and has avoided every piece of information about the original be mad that this remake is being split into parts? They have no frame of reference for the original to even be upset about.

Also why would somebody who has never played the original also avoid any information about the remake. That's just blindly buying a game you know literally know nothing about, which isn't on SE. Those people could buy it and be mad that it's an action RPG, would that be Square's fault?

This whole discussion is absurd and has always been absurd. The examples of people who are going to be upset either assume that people who don't follow every piece of gaming news are complete idiots, which is insulting, or it invents scenarios where people are actively choosing to be uninformed about the products they buy. Square has actively gone out of their way to inform people that this is being split into parts and if people choose to ignore that then that's on them.

Last edited:

Nakenorm

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Except, none of this actually explicitly tells you that the original story is being split up. Unless they read it very carefully, I could easily see someone misunderstanding the second paragraph as saying the first game is a remake of the original FFVII, to be followed by continuations that expand the story

Jesus, if that's not clear enough then that could just as easily happen if the title was part 1."Ooh they're gonna make sequels to that cool game I played 20 years ago"

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

i'm sure plenty of people will by this and be disappointed that it wan't the full game. just because you know it isn't or because they're "dumb casuals" doesn't mean they're wrong.

i think they should stamp a "part 1" onto the box. besides, if anything they're going to need a way to define the second and third installment anyway, right? can't just keep putting ffvii: remake on it. they will have to say part 2 and 3 or something. seems pretty obvious to me, so maybe stop jumping down these guys throats for making a quite fair observation.

I dont think a part 1 or chapter one on the box would be a bad idea

GenoScreams

Oct 31, 2017
It would be such an easy fix to avoid the confusion, that much is clear. What reason is there to avoid putting "Part 1" or something similar in the title? The communication of what this game will be has certainly not be good. Even on Era, look at when it was shown at E3. Multiple parts, two discs, the first is just Midgar. Everyone had different interpretations of what that meant. The first disc is just Midgar? The game is only two discs? You get them both at once? Of course that's been cleared up since if you follow it, but like others said, most don't follow gaming news. Why not just make it clear and be done with it?

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
Why would somebody who has zero experience with the original and has avoided every piece of information about the original be mad that this remake is being split into parts? They have no frame of reference for the original to even be upset about.

...Because it's called Final Fantasy VII Remake, and therefore they expected a remake of Final Fantasy VII, not a remake of 25% of Final Fantasy VII?

Also why would somebody who has never played the original also avoid any information about the remake. That's just blindly buying a game you know literally know nothing about, which isn't on SE. Those people could buy it and be mad that it's not an action RPG, would that be Square's fault?

They would check the blurb or the box and expect to get the basic information they needed there, and, as I already established, they wouldn't, because that blurb is nowhere near explicit enough.

This whole discussion is absurd and has always been absurd. The examples of people who are going to be upset either assume that people who don't follow every piece of gaming news are complete idiots, which is insulting, or it invents scenarios where people are actively choosing to be uninformed about the products they buy.

The discussion is only considered absurd by insufferable nerds who not only spend a considerable amount of their time reading about and discussing upcoming games online, but are so sheltered that they actually think literally everyone who buys games does the same thing. The truth is, many people buy games having just looked at the title and the box/blurb, and there's nothing wrong with that. They're not absolute idiots, by any stretch, and the fact that you think they are skeaks volumes.

Square has actively gone out of their way to inform people that this is being split into parts and if people choose to ignore that then that's on them.

They absolutely have not. Neither the title nor the blurb make that clear.

Jesus, if that's not clear enough then that could just as easily happen if the title was part 1."Ooh they're gonna make sequels to that cool game I played 20 years ago"

No it wouldn't, and you know it. A "Part 1" or "Midgar" or SOMETHING beyond just "Final Fantasy VII Remake" and nothing else would be much, much clearer than that vague blurb (Imagine if The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey was literally just called The Hobbit, for Christ's sake). The fact that you think their thought process would just immediately jump to "clearly, they're taking what was one game and remaking it as multiple games" is really weird given that this has, at least based on my knowledge, literally never ever happened before.

Last edited:

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
I gave up on the conversation. People care about casuals being misinformed when it's been stated numerous times it's a trilogy. God of War & Spider-Man should've came out and said this is 25% of the trilogy. Instead of a 30-40 hour game square should take 10 more years making FF7 Remake "complete" with over 120 hours of main story.

I swear some people think all casuals are uninformed idiots that don't know anything and throwing PART 1 on the title won't change a damn thing.
Has it actually been stated that this is a trilogy? I've never seen them say that and I've been following it pretty closely.

Awesome Kev

Banned
Jan 10, 2018
Has it actually been stated that this is a trilogy? I've never seen them say that and I've been following it pretty closely.

wondering the same thing

at any rate will be multiple parts, and as such they'll have to define the installments. can't just keep calling them the same name every game. so a part 1, 2, 3 etc will be necessary.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia

No, that has never been stated at all (hell, my bet is that it will be 4 parts). The fact that someone who has researched this game to the point that they think everyone will, yet is STILL mistaken on the finer points, says a lot.

wondering the same thing

at any rate will be multiple parts, and as such they'll have to define the installments. can't just keep calling them the same name every game. so a part 1, 2, 3 etc will be necessary.

Exactly, which is why they really should just start here to make it simple and clear for people. If there's the 4 parts like I assume, I'd like to see MIDGAR, BIRTH, LIFE, and DEATH (and then SYNTHESIS for a complete collection later down the road). But really, just numbering parts would be simple.

Oct 25, 2017
It's no secret this game is part one. Sure some people may be disappointed, but they aren't hiding that fact.

But it's also annoying seeing thread derails by people upset this isn't the entire story. Like yall for sure know it's not. If that's upsetting it doesn't need to be harped on in every single FF7 remake thread.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I believe the thinking inside SE is "this game is 2 BDs long, why would we need to advertise it is only part one?"

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
It's no secret this game is part one. Sure some people may be disappointed, but they aren't hiding that fact.

When it comes to products you're charging $60-80 for, I feel that you need to do better than making something 'no secret' and 'not hiding it'. It's not like adding a Part 1 to the title or putting 'a hugely expanded version of the original game's opening Midgar act' in the blurb would be super hard or something.

But it's also annoying seeing thread derails by people upset this isn't the entire story. Like yall for sure know it's not. If that's upsetting it doesn't need to be harped on in every single FF7 remake thread.

True. I'm super happy about the multi-part development.

Awesome Kev

Banned
Jan 10, 2018

lol upsetting? really?

listen no one is derailing, theyre just making a fair observation that the game should make an attempt on the box to let the player know it is only the midgar section. we know there will be players that walk by the game in walmart or wherever and go "holy shit they remade ffvii no way!", impulse buy it and get home only to discover it wasnt the whole thing.

putting part 1 on the box will keep those people from doing so and as such will make it so people don't take to the internet in outrage. i'm sure they will put a part 1 or something on the box. if they don't, i think it's be a mistake as we have seen how damaging a very loud, angry minority of people can be to a brand.

but no one here is getting "upset" by the discussion (except you i guess). they're making a fair observation and to take a stance against that is just bizarre

we're just having discussion waiting for the trailer to drop, no hard feelings in here

TRUE ORDER

Oct 30, 2017
It would be nice to see Nanaki but it should be better to not get our hopes up since he shows up late in the Midgard section and there's still time to show him near the release date on another trailer.

wondering the same thing

There's nothing official on how many parts would it be, the staff doesn't even know lol.
They say that they were looking at XIII saga as a reference.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
I believe the thinking inside SE is "this game is 2 BDs long, why would we need to advertise it is only part one?"

Possibly, but that would be wrongheaded. The amount of content in the game will most likely be worth the price, but the 'lacking the complete story' aspect is a factor. Like, if someone did some light googling of the original and saw stuff like Vincent, Cid and the Highwind and thought they looked cool, then grabbed the remake looking forward to seeing them, that would be kind of a shame.

TheMrPliskin

Oct 26, 2017
...Because it's called Final Fantasy VII Remake, and therefore they expected a remake of Final Fantasy VII, not a remake of 25% of Final Fantasy VII?

They would check the blurb or the box and expect to get the basic information they needed there, and, as I already established, they wouldn't, because that blurb is nowhere near explicit enough.

The discussion is only considered absurd by insufferable nerds who not only spend a considerable amount of their time reading about and discussing upcoming games online, but are so sheltered that they actually think literally everyone who buys games does the same thing. The truth is, many people buy games having just looked at the title and the box/blurb, and there's nothing wrong with that. They're not absolute idiots, by any stretch, and the fact that you think they are skeaks volumes.

They absolutely have not. Neither the title nor the blurb make that clear.
I never stated that they were idiots? Read my post again, I literally did the exact opposite.

But whatever, if you're going to just sling random insults at me over a title of a video game then this discussion is a waste of time.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
It's Square Enix. "Remake" is probably the name of a character in the game or something.

Awesome Kev

Banned
Jan 10, 2018
It would be nice to see Nanaki but it should be better to not get our hopes up since he shows up late in the Midgard section and there's still time to show him near the release date on another trailer.

There's nothing official on how many parts would it be, the staff doesn't even know lol.
oh ok, thanks for the info

i'd be down for a 3 or 4 parter honestly.

1 midgar
2 nibelheim
3 temple of the ancients
4 the rest

actaully i have no idea if that is split up evenly, i can't remember exactly where everything falls...

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
The trilogy thing is people extrapolating from Kitase's early comparison (back in 2015) of this series to the XIII one.

Also, the fact that with this new scale three games should be enough to cover the original and trilogies are, I guess, attractive in fiction in general. Beyond that, the original was three CDs too, but obviously the amount of content per game is going to be quite different (the last CD was quite short).
it's in 45 minutes then?
In 1 hour and 43 minutes rather!

Deleted member 53268

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 8, 2019

This.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia

Heh, well, that's what they claim. I wonder if they might actually have a very clear idea on how the releases will go, but they're going to avoid discussing them until they're absolutely 100% sure. Not to mention that the following games are probably going to be next-gen titles, which adds a whole other layer of "we can't discuss this shit yet".

Yeah, although I believe they also said in that same statement that that didn't mean it would be a trilogy. Honestly, If the first part is just Midgar I struggle to see how the whole rest of the locations can be made in two games. It's less of a "playtime in hours" thing, and more of a "look at the sheer number of widely different locations that will use totally different assets that they would have to make" thing.

Nauren

Oct 30, 2017
Final Fantasy 7 Remake: The Derailing. All legit concerns but I have a feeling that this game/series/compendium will be just fine.

Mikebison

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Final Fantasy 7 Remake: The Derailing. All legit concerns but I have a feeling that this game/series/compendium will be just fine.
Sorry, is it a hype only allowed thread?

Already said I'm excited about the game, as I'm sure most others are. But it was a legit bit of discourse to have over the the naming convention on the box. Some of you guys are too defensive.

Awesome Kev

Banned
Jan 10, 2018
It's been a minute, but I'm pretty sure your parts 1-3 are all before the end of disc 1. There's a ton of game in "the rest".
lmao

yeah i need to replay... too bad i wont have time for video games until some time next summer :(

EDIT: still have plenty of time to waste on Era though!! i love you maniacs more than you'll ever know, lol

Nauren

Oct 30, 2017
Sorry, is it a hype only allowed thread?

Already said I'm excited about the game, as I'm sure most others are. But it was a legit bit of discourse to have over the the naming convention on the box. Some of you guys are too defensive.

I was being facetious. Sorry if it wasn't exactly clear. I did expressly say they are legit concerns however. That bit being said, all FF threads devolve down to weirdness eventually.

TRUE ORDER

Oct 30, 2017
oh ok, thanks for the info

i'd be down for a 3 or 4 parter honestly.

1 midgar
2 nibelheim
3 temple of the ancients
4 the rest

actaully i have no idea if that is split up evenly, i can't remember exactly where everything falls...
I don't really think they'll try to split the game evenly, it would be kinda difficult imho. I really hope we don't have to buy more than 4 games though...

Heh, well, that's what they claim. I wonder if they might actually have a very clear idea on how the releases will go, but they're going to avoid discussing them until they're absolutely 100% sure. Not to mention that the following games are probably going to be next-gen titles, which adds a whole other layer of "we can't discuss this shit yet".

Yeah, although I believe they also said in that same statement that that didn't mean it would be a trilogy. Honestly, If the first part is just Midgar I struggle to see how the whole rest of the locations can be made in two games. It's less of a "playtime in hours" thing, and more of a "look at the sheer number of widely different locations that will use totally different assets that they would have to make" thing.
Yep, you're right. We'll have to wait until the first part releases to start asking about the rest of the remake...

Septimus

Oct 27, 2017
How much time left/what time in EST? Edit nvm, the clock didn't show up til just now. 1 hour 30 mins!

Status
Not open for further replies.