• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
I never stated that they were idiots? Read my post again, I literally did the exact opposite.

But whatever, if you're going to just sling random insults at me over a title of a video game then this discussion is a waste of time.

A poster above suggested that people who didn't do in-depth research on the game would be uninformed idiots, and your post looked like you were saying the the same - that only idiots would complain about the game not containing the full story. When you said 'examples of people' it sounded like you were talking about actual people, not the hypothetical examples I posted.

Seems you were actually just accusing me of thinking they would be idiots, maybe for misunderstanding the box, which I don't appreciate. When I try to read that blurb from the perspective of someone who hasn't been researching this stuff, it comes across to me as vague.

I agree that the discussion is pretty pointless, though, if you;'re going to be this insistent that a $60 product shouldn't clearly and explicitly state basic information to paying customers on the box. By the arguments here, you would think we should just get rid of box information altogether. I mean, consumers can just look the game up on the internet, right?

Delaney

Oct 25, 2017
Not labelling the first release as Episode 1/Part 1 or giving it a proper subtitle is just avoiding the "what, it's just Midgard?" backlash from the mass public until the game releases. There are a lot of people who are going to buy the game day one that are not necessarily attached to pre-release marketing that will just see FFVII on the shelves and buy it, only to find out it's not a complete remake.

It's not SE's fault that the Episode/Part wording has bad reception on the gaming community unless you are Naughty Dog, but launching this just as "Final Fantasy VII Remake" is going to be a headache next March and the experience of people who just want to play the game and comment it only is going to be brought down by a lot of "fake advertising" campaigns.

Deleted member 426

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not labelling the first release as Episode 1/Part 1 or giving it a proper subtitle is just avoiding the "what, it's just Midgard?" backlash from the mass public until the game releases. There are a lot of people who are going to buy the game day one that are not necessarily attached to pre-release marketing that will just see FFVII on the shelves and buy it, only to find out it's not a complete remake.

It's not SE's fault that the Episode/Part wording has bad reception on the gaming community unless you are Naughty Dog, but launching this just as "Final Fantasy VII Remake" is going to be a headache next March and the experience of people who just want to play the game and comment it only is going to be brought down by a lot of "fake advertising" campaigns.
They're pretty clear that it's the first of a multi part series though, to the point it's mentioned on the store page, and will almost certainly be on the back of the box. Branding it as Episode 1 is sales suicide, but at least they're being clear.

ZeroDS

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
I mean you just gotta look at the Facebook comments on their page to see people are still confused about the whole multi part game thing.

I don't think it'll hurt in the long run though, but people being worried about it isn't strange at all

Spongehead56

Jul 6, 2018
Wisconsin
I don't need to see anymore of this game. I'm 100% sold. Square, please don't show too much more new content before release. Seeing different special moments from the game, while playing the game itself, will be the best way to experience them.

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
l85R828.gif

Deleted member 21411

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I mean, by this logic we wouldn't see the Shinra HQ until the game was out either, and yet we already saw it. I still wonder if the final escape might actually be delayed, and the second half has them as fugitives in the city.
Difference between a location that's literally part of the opening scene and is always present and a character that would only he there for a couple of scenes. I'll admit that would be cool.

I think they'll definitely show him before release, even if it's just a brief tease, since he should be around for a significantly longer period of time in the remake.
I'm more then happy if I'm wrong

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
They're pretty clear that it's the first of a multi part series though, to the point it's mentioned on the store page, and will almost certainly be on the back of the box. Branding it as Episode 1 is sales suicide, but at least they're being clear.

They're clear about that, but not so much that it's only adapting part of the original story, rather than turning the original story into part one of a larger thing with sequels and prequels and whatnot. Hell, FFVII has already gotten those before, and I could easily see the "multi-part saga" being misinterpreted as something more like what the Compilation was.

Deleted member 426

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They're clear about that, but not so much that it's only adapting part of the original story, rather than turning the original story into part one of a larger thing with sequels and prequels and whatnot. Hell, FFVII has already gotten those before, and I could easily see the "multi-part saga" being misinterpreted as something more like what the Compilation was.
I seem to remember the store listing mentioning that it focuses on Midgar, but I could be wrong. It's worth taking a look and seeing if that changes your opinion (or not!)

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
What if they change things up and Vincent shows up in Midgar? Like, maybe the things he was kept in is moved to some Shinra building for experiments and whatnot.

TheJollyCorner

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
I'm actually on Page 3 of my handwritten letter to Hashimoto stating my disappointment in the false advertising of this shameful project.

Since I only have enough money for single postage I'll also be adding my fan-fic ideas for TRUE sequels and a little love letter for Janitor Ito. I trust these will be passed along.

Awesome Kev

Banned
Jan 10, 2018
anyone want to take bets we'll jenova? i'll say it mostly revolves around the Turks but also a bit of sephiroth, rufus' father and a shot of jenova at the very end of the trailer. like a villain trailer.

EDIT:
I'm actually on Page 3 of my handwritten letter to Hashimoto stating my disappointment in the false advertising of this shameful project.

Since I only have enough money for single postage I'll also be adding my fan-fic ideas for TRUE sequels and a little love letter for Janitor Ito. I trust these will be passed along.

lmao, i'm only on the second page.... but i will let these motherfuckers no of my disgust! part 1 on the box or no buy!

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
I think they'll definitely show him before release, even if it's just a brief tease, since he should be around for a significantly longer period of time in the remake.

I mean, I would hope so, but I've heard some worrying theories that he really will be introduced only in the final couple of hours of this game, and that he won't be playable due to being hurt or just being a battle NPC. I really hope not.

Difference between a location that's literally part of the opening scene and is always present and a character that would only he there for a couple of scenes. I'll admit that would be cool.

I'm more then happy if I'm wrong.

Ehhh, they literally showed Cloud running around the HQ and even spoiled the Lone Tree in Midgar, but you might be right. Honestly, I wonder if we'll get much more after TGS. I suppose there's Jump Festa and the Game Awards, but I don't want them to spoil too much.

Last edited:

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
I seem to remember the store listing mentioning that it focuses on Midgar, but I could be wrong. It's worth taking a look and seeing if that changes your opinion (or not!)

I already saw it. This is the relevant part of the blurb.

"The world has fallen under the control of the Shinra Electric Power Company, a shadowy corporation controlling the planet's very life force as mako energy.

In the sprawling city of Midgar, an anti-Shinra organization calling themselves Avalanche have stepped up their resistance. Cloud Strife, a former member of Shinra's elite SOLDIER unit now turned mercenary, lends his aid to the group, unaware of the epic consequences that await him."

Maybe you feel different, but to me that does not explicitly say at any point that it's set only in Midgar. It just gives an accurate summary of how the story begins. I think that would be a perfectly accurate back-of-box summary for the original game, with an eye toward avoiding spoilers of the latter parts of the game.

PolishQ

Oct 27, 2017
Rochester, NY

I wonder ... could they be planning to release the remaining "episodes" as DLC? In which case naming the base product "Final Fantasy VII Remake" would be technically correct. I doubt it, since those would be some huge DLC downloads, but you never know.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
I wonder ... could they be planning to release the remaining "episodes" as DLC? In which case naming the base product "Final Fantasy VII Remake" would be technically correct. I doubt it, since those would be some huge DLC downloads, but you never know.

They've described the parts as multiple separate games, like the FFXIII trilogy, so I strongly doubt it. Not to mention that they will almost certainly want to make the following parts for next-gen.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
As long as the game delivers the kind of mainline level (volumewise) FF that offers the kind of thrillride that the demo seemingly promises throughout the whole game (of course with some downtime included), I don't think people will be all that pissed even if they are surprised by the cliffhanger ending.

In other words, if that "omg it's only 25% of the OG FFVII" still feels like it offers a 100% satisfying single experience, I'm not sure if a whole lot of people other than the biggest negative nancies will have much of a problem with it, with or without a noticeable Part 1 disclaimer somewhere in the description/cover/name.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
As long as the game delivers the kind of mainline level (volumewise) FF that offers the kind of thrillride that the demo seemingly promises throughout the whole game (of course with some downtime included), I don't think people will be all that pissed even if they are surprised by the cliffhanger ending.

In other words, if that "omg it's only 25% of the OG FFVII" still feels like it offers a 100% satisfying single experience, I'm not sure if a whole lot of people other than the biggest negative nancies will have much of a problem with it, with or without a noticeable Part 1 disclaimer somewhere in the description/cover/name.

True, on the "amount of content" side. I have no doubt it will be a full game in its own right, and I honestly hope it's so good that nobody cares when they find out it's "incomplete". It's just that that title... it really does feel dishonest, when many elements of FFVII almost certainly won;'t be there at all. Yuffie, Cait Sith, Vincent, Cid, Nibelheim, the Highwind, Gold Saucer, etc. I'm all good with that and am happy to wait, but I do worry about others.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017

It's just gonna be really difficult to contrive a final boss that feels satisfying based on where the story stops.

If it was on the cargo ship and the final boss was the first JENOVA that would be fine. But that stupid robot on the Midgar Highway is a really, really, really bad option for a final boss.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Man I just realized the plate collapsing is gonna be even more horrifying in this game.

The Turks turning into comic relief is gonna be even more jarring in this series with the episodic release.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Possibly, but that would be wrongheaded. The amount of content in the game will most likely be worth the price, but the 'lacking the complete story' aspect is a factor. Like, if someone did some light googling of the original and saw stuff like Vincent, Cid and the Highwind and thought they looked cool, then grabbed the remake looking forward to seeing them, that would be kind of a shame.
Yeah I don't think it is the way to go. I think that Square thinks they are getting a lot more benefit by going to 2 discs than what really exists.

I imagine the reason they even say that it's on 2BDs is to combat the episodic complaints
This too.

I really don't like the 2 disc decision, it makes me question where their head is at as far as this overall project, if they have their eye on the prize or not or are just trying to maximize what they can get out of it in the short term.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
It's just gonna be really difficult to contrive a final boss that feels satisfying based on where the story stops.

If it was on the cargo ship and the final boss was the first JENOVA that would be fine. But that stupid robot on the Midgar Highway is a really, really, really bad option for a final boss.
Maybe they added the keepers of fate for just that reason. Epic escape from Shinra/Midgar with the motorcycle section -> robot boss -> keepers of the fate somehow manifesting as a fightable boss that serves as a more story relevant end to Part 1 of what the Remake's version of the Midgar story is.

The Emperor

Oct 25, 2017
I already saw it. This is the relevant part of the blurb.

"The world has fallen under the control of the Shinra Electric Power Company, a shadowy corporation controlling the planet's very life force as mako energy.

In the sprawling city of Midgar, an anti-Shinra organization calling themselves Avalanche have stepped up their resistance. Cloud Strife, a former member of Shinra's elite SOLDIER unit now turned mercenary, lends his aid to the group, unaware of the epic consequences that await him."

Maybe you feel different, but to me that does not explicitly say at any point that it's set only in Midgar. It just gives an accurate summary of how the story begins. I think that would be a perfectly accurate back-of-box summary for the original game, with an eye toward avoiding spoilers of the latter parts of the game.
Hyped as hell for this. Gonna be game of the forever

But yup this is a PR disaster waiting to happen. They gotta change the blurb and make things blumming obvious somewhere on the box. Dunno why people are getting so defensive over this lol... we are not all 'haters'

TheMrPliskin

Oct 26, 2017

My hope is that they roll that boss into the motorcycle escape to make that sequence more notable, especially since we've seen there are numerous chase sequences. Then the actual final boss is something new for the remake.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe they added the keepers of fate for just that reason. Epic escape from Shinra/Midgar with the motorcycle section -> robot boss -> keepers of the fate somehow manifesting as a fightable boss that serves as a more story relevant end to Part 1 of what the Remake's version of the Midgar story is.

Maybe, but they more just look like symbolism rather than actual characters thus far. I kind of doubt you're gonna fight them.

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017

Move the Rufus fight at the end of the highway, like idk he chases the gang with a Shinra helicopter or something.

Deleted member 42105

Banned
Apr 13, 2018
t-minus 12 minutes oh baby

also I'm like 99% confident part 1 isn't ending with the highway robot. It's Nomura, some sort of fuckery will be afoot to get us on the hook for part 2.

Move the Rufus fight at the end of the highway, like idk he chases the gang with a Shinra helicopter or something.

This is a good call.

Status
Not open for further replies.