• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Koozek

Oct 25, 2017
New Final Fantasy XV Patch (v1.21) out on February 1.

Update (patch notes from the Reddit thread)
  • Conclusion of the Assassin's Festival
  • Inclusion of Aranea as a training partner at camp
  • Implementation of a standby option at camp to advance the time of day ("Wait until morning" or "Wait until nightfall")
  • Addition of new items at Alessio's trading post in Altissia (see below)
  • Introduction of new drills to the tutorial: Practice Tutorial
  • Fixed the hairstyle for the Episode Ignis crossover outfit
  • "Arts" category for Gladiolus, Ignis, and Prompto (shows the bros' available Techniques for Character Swap)
  • Various bug fixes

Updated saves will not work on former versions of the game.

Alessio's New Items
  • Silver Ore: 2 Oracle Ascension Coins
  • Gold Ore: 2 Oracle Ascension Coins
  • Prismatic Shard: 2 Oracle Ascension Coins
  • Prismatic Ore: 3 Oracle Ascension Coins
  • Mystic Circlet: 60 Oracle Ascension Coins
  • Purified Salt: 60 Oracle Ascension Coins
----

For anyone interested what changed since launch in December 2016 so far:
Here's a summary of EVERYTHING that's been added since release until now (not including the day 1 update), for anyone who's curious. Whoever is waiting for the Royal Edition is going to play a VERY different game:
  • Timed (online) Quests were introduced but are now over. These were incorporated into the main game via a "daily" quest system.
  • You can now take on several hunts at once.
  • You can now change the time of the day at camps.
  • Vendors have been updated in Altissia.
  • Aranea is now a training partner at camps.
  • Level cap is now 120.
  • You can now store up to 200 photos.
  • PS4 Pro/XB1X Support.
  • You can use the music player while on a chocobo. Several music tracks have been added to the music player as well.
  • Magic spells using the ring are considerably stronger.
  • Type-D Regalia was added and features off-road driving.
  • Cross-chain attacks (from Episode Duscae) are back after you complete a quest available from Chapter 8 onwards.
  • Several outfits are available for the bros if you purchase/beat their respective DLCs (there's also some that come from the season pass / holiday packs / battle packs).
  • A bestiary was added.
  • You can now swap characters in battle after getting the appropriate skill in the Ascension Grid.
  • You can now view the bros' character swap abilities in the gear menu.
  • Several battle quotes / banter have been added to the game.
  • Episode Gladio/Prompto/Ignis got released.
  • Multiplayer Expansion: Comrades got released and it features much needed context for episodes 13-14.
  • There's now a Chapter Select Screen and New Game Plus.
  • A few scenes were added to Chapter 12.
  • Chapter 13 Verse 2 was added if you want to experience this part of the story from a different point of view.
  • One of the final boss fights has been slightly updated, featuring a new model and slightly different dialogue so that the changes to Chapter 12 make more sense.

Note that it's rumored that Chapter 10 will be "revamped" next month and new areas will be explorable as well.

Last edited:

DarkLordMalik

Oct 27, 2017
I have a hard time remembering the significance of Alessio's trading post? What did it do in the base game?

JEH

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
When will they just add her as a party member already?

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Implementation of a standby option [to skip the time of day] at camp
200w.gif

The hunts that take place at night are very annoying since up until now you could only skip time when you first accepted them.

Deleted member 9971

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This will feel like a whole new game once i replay it lol:P will do so when the royal dlc stuff is out.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Being able to skip time is awesome! :)
One thing I still hope for is them expanding what's explorable of Altissia. It feels so small and restricted in the game and such a let down after what you expect the city to be. Due to glitching out of the boundaries we know that there is much more of the city and Episode Ignis made large parts of it explorable too. Why don't they expand it in the main game as well? :(

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Skip Time is way overdue, I can't even remember how many times I had to just leave my console on and walk away so it would eventually turn to night for certain hunts. Good addition, although as always, baffling that it took this long/wasn't in the game at launch.

I wonder when Aranea will be available as a training partner, because it wouldn't make sense for her to be available from the get-go (technically it wouldn't make much sense until the post-game). Although I can see them just adding her and being like "fuck it".

Deleted member 26462

Oct 30, 2017
So...this will be a good FF title by march 6?

I played It on 2016, it was ok i guess...but i felt It has a lot of gameplay, narrative and exploration problems.

Will those problems be solved by march?

Skulldead

Oct 27, 2017
The battle system is inherently broken, you can spam your potions to win no matter how strong the enemies are. A rebalanced hard mode wouldn't change that.

You are 100% right on that, hard mode must/should correct that, prevent spamming potion and make not potion overpower like they are right now. This would past from a cakewalk to something way more challenging. But they have to work to balance thing out, which look like this don't seem a priority for them..

OP
OP
Koozek

Koozek

Oct 25, 2017
Skip Time is way overdue, I can't even remember how many times I had to just leave my console on and walk away so it would eventually turn to night for certain hunts. Good addition, although as always, baffling that it took this long/wasn't in the game at launch.

I wonder when Aranea will be available as a training partner, because it wouldn't make sense for her to be available from the get-go (technically it wouldn't make much sense until the post-game). Although I can see them just adding her and being like "fuck it".
You could've instead just fast-travelled a big enough distance forth and back so enough in-game time would pass, which is still faster even with all the loading screns, lol. But yeah, another one of those small but baffling things that you wonder why they weren't considered before.

Oct 25, 2017
The battle system is inherently broken, you can spam your potions to win no matter how strong the enemies are. A rebalanced hard mode wouldn't change that.
It could if they wanted it to.

It could also change other things, like side stuff not giving you EXP, so you can still level up properly and don't have to choose between both extremes.

Make things a lot more dangerous, but also make you more powerful, double the amount of AP you get so you can unlock abilities much earlier, that would also be interesting.

But I'll consider a level 1 run on PC as well, that could be interesting. No items I'm not so sure of. I don't usually abuse healing items too much, but the game is certainly made for this, and not using it would only lead to me being in that downed state for a long ass time. I'd rather just die instantly and try the fight again than just run around like that waiting for someone to revive me.

My biggest problem with difficulty was getting too powerful, not being able to abuse items, the dreaded Chapter 13 boss fight was completely mindless to me, because I was really overleveled.

I can't think of a single open world RPG that gets the difficulty curve right, even on harder difficulties, when available.

OP
OP
Koozek

Koozek

Oct 25, 2017
Is it 100% confirmed that these new cutscenes in chapter 14 will only be part of the Royal Edition/Pack and Window Edition?

This game just keeps getting better and better. :)
Must admit that I am torn on this. Expected every main game update this year to be free while the new DLC would of course be paid. What about the promised story updates this year? Will those be free again? Sounds very inconsistent if only those with the Royal/Window Edition or Royal Pack will have the new cutscenes in the main game while all the other story updates were free and the ones coming this year assumedly will be too. I'll now won't have the same chapter 14 experience as others, as I don't intend to buy the Royal Pack for $20, especially since I was planning on getting the new DLC this year, which will surely be another $20-30.

If this was a meaty standalone DLC it would be fine, but not if it's integrated into the main game's campaign, which the Insomnia stuff obviously seems to be.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
New Final Fantasy XV Patch on January 21. The official English site doesn't say that the new training partner at camps is Aranea and it doesn't explain what the "standby option" is, but the German site does, so I added that info.
  • Conclusion of the Assassin's Festival
  • Inclusion of a new training partner [Aranea] at camp
  • Implementation of a standby option [to skip the time of day] at camp
  • Addition of new items at Alessio's trading post in Altissia
  • Introduction of new drills to the tutorial
  • Various bug fixes

Updated saves will not work on former versions of the game.

Source.

FINALLY......YYYYEEEESSSSS

I was abusing hunts to change time lol

OP
OP
Koozek

Koozek

Oct 25, 2017
FINALLY......YYYYEEEESSSSS

I was abusing hunts to change time lol
You could also fast-travel a bit so time would pass:
You could've instead just fast-travelled a big enough distance forth and back so enough in-game time would pass, which is still faster even with all the loading screns, lol. But yeah, another one of those small but baffling things that you wonder why they weren't considered before.

Toa Axis

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
Thank goodness for that time skip option. Really wonder why that wasn't considered earlier.

I guess I also should get to that AC Festival before it's gone as well.

Sean

Oct 25, 2017
Longview

Potion Spamming is turned off in the extra "Maze" dungeons and it changes up the difficulty a lot. No reason they couldn't do something like that for a hardmode or even just add Cooldowns to potions.

Powwa

Oct 28, 2017
I bought this game months ago and I still didn't start it because they keep adding stuff. I feel like I'll be missing something important if I start playing.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, that's what they said originally.

What a shame. Btw does anyone of you know how to replay the Capture The Flag quest again after you finish? The quest giver says: I am here if you want to do it again but I can't replay it while we could do the similar quest in Chocomog Carnival, the chochochicks gathering an infinte time. I need more easy Assassin Medals.

Last edited:

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't played this since 2016, is it any easier to grind out Skill Levels (fishing, survival etc)? Pretty much the only thing between me and a platinum

Oct 27, 2017
CTRL+F
"Hard Mode"
0 results

This company doesn't want to give fans what they want.
I just want to buy this game.
I'm going to LAUGH if hard mode is exclusive to Episode Ardyn. LAUGH I SAY

Oct 27, 2017
Potion Spamming is turned off in the extra "Maze" dungeons and it changes up the difficulty a lot. No reason they couldn't do something like that for a hardmode or even just add Cooldowns to potions.

Not even that hard for Square Enix to fix.

In Hard Mode, using a potion isn't instantaneous and takes 3~5 seconds, and getting hit during the cast cancels the use of the item. Enemy AI is tuned to drop their current target and try to interrupt your potion use, meaning you have to analyze when its safe or when you have the ability to use a potion before you try it, which is EXACTLY the kind of situation analysis a Hard Mode needs.

EDIT: Also, no limping on death. When your HP is at 0, your character switches to someone that's alive until a phoenix down is used.

Nov 2, 2017
Shibuya
Not even that hard for Square Enix to fix.

In Hard Mode, using a potion isn't instantaneous and takes 3~5 seconds, and getting hit during the cast cancels the use of the item. Enemy AI is tuned to drop their current target and try to interrupt your potion use, meaning you have to analyze when its safe or when you have the ability to use a potion before you try it, which is EXACTLY the kind of situation analysis a Hard Mode needs.

EDIT: Also, no limping on death. When your HP is at 0, your character switches to someone that's alive until a phoenix down is used.
It would need a lot more than just those things else good luck ever fighting a Coeurl (or any enemy with a powerful AOE) without dying immediately. I think the combat problems are too deeply rooted that a quickly developed Hard Mode feature is even really an option.

Oct 27, 2017
It would need a lot more than just those things else good luck ever fighting a Coeurl (or any enemy with a powerful AOE) without dying immediately. I think the combat problems are too deeply rooted that a quickly developed Hard Mode feature is even really an option.
Adjusting your approach to enemies with AOEs is going to be mandatory in hardmode. Use ranged weapons, spears, etc. Character switch to Prompto, stay away from the enemy, and abuse the gun. Actually use the counter/block system.

They don't need to fix anything. They just need to make it mandatory to use the systems the game already has in place for these things. That's what hard mode is, when it's done right.

Acquila

Oct 26, 2017
Finally, though I had hoped we could skip anywhere ala Witcher 3. I had Day / Rain quests lying around.

Etain

Oct 25, 2017
Ohh, guess I'll finally get through the one secret dungeon then.

But gotta do that Assassin's festival thing ASAP.

Kyari

Oct 25, 2017
Did they ever fix the bug to permanently add her to the party? She was still in mine last time I checked a month or so ago.

Pascal

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Parts Unknown
Ohh, guess I'll finally get through the one secret dungeon then.

But gotta do that Assassin's festival thing ASAP.
The Assassin's festival was surprisingly well-done. It had a pretty substantial amount of content, especially for free dlc. Missed out on the first festival so I don't know how that one compares, but I was pleasantly surprised by the Assassin's festival.

Deleted member 23908

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
did they patch out the glitch where you can make aranea your party member? I did that for most of my playthrough and it was awesome