• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Choose your house, Era

• #TeamEdelgard (Black Eagles)

Votes: 837 58.7%
  • #TeamDimitri (Blue Lions)

Votes: 145 10.2%
  • #TeamClaude (Golden Deer)

Votes: 444 31.1%

• Total voters

Fomortiis

Jan 2, 2018
A lot of these designs are too modern. Like, can you imagine a person during that time having glasses?

Though to be fair, Canas has monocles, but Canas is an exception because he's awesome.
The first monocle in the FE Series was that one guy in FE4 whose name escapes me.
Also Miriel had glasses in Awakening

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
His glasses aren't a problem for me, least of Ignace's issues really. Yeah they're a bit too sleek and modern in design/construction, but honestly the uniforms and most especially Jorothea's hat are what feels really anachronistic. The former kind of gets a pass for a variety of reasons, but the hat just is too much for me.

The uniforms are very 19th century inspired with a fair few modern touches. But that is somewhat appropriate as the whole officer's academy is an 18th/19th century creation. So the whole idea is a bit out of sync with the rest of the very medieval setting as is, but whatever. It's a fictional world with magic, Goddesses and dragons so shit happens, they're blending two historical periods together. In that sense Ignace's glasses are pretty inline with 19th century tech however out of place that still may be. My man Hanneman looks straight out of a late 19th period piece. It's cool. Jorothea's hat though is pure contemporary fashion and it looks really out of place and just goofy.

Last edited:

Linde

Banned
Sep 2, 2018
His glasses aren't a problem for me, least of Ignace's issues really. Yeah they're a bit too sleek and modern in design/construction, but honestly the uniforms and most especially Jorothea's hat are what feels really anachronistic. The latter kind of gets a pass for a variety of reasons, but the hat just is too much for me.

The uniforms are very 19th century inspired with a fair few modern touches. But that is somewhat appropriate as the whole officer's academy is an 18th/19th century creation. So the whole idea is a bit out of sync with the rest of the very medieval setting as is, but whatever. It's a fictional world with magic, Goddesses and dragons so shit happens, they're blending two historical periods together. In that sense Ignace's glasses are pretty inline with 19th century tech however out of place that still may be. My man Hanneman looks straight out of a late 19th period piece. It's cool. Jorothea's hat though is pure contemporary fashion and it looks really out of place and just goofy.
Hat bothers me too, though I like dorothea otherwise. She looks like a K-pop star turned train conductor thanks to the outfit

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
As much as I'm a massive fan of 19th century military fashion and stuff I do wish they took more inspiration from actual Medieval or Renaissance fashion and military garb. There are some really fantastic and striking styles throughout the ages. That stuff could be really wild and fun, especially if each house had a different style rather than just an odd colored hue to their black uniforms.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
TBH I would be fine with guns in FE. It would be also a good way to add pirates back

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
I can see primitive firearms being like "tank archers", slow, resistant and hit hard. Anyway, modern clothes have always been there.

Vika.jpg

Fendoreo1

Jan 1, 2019
So are we expecting a famitsu article this week to coincide with e3? Plus its been two weeks since the last one. I seem to remember the preview for the articles being posted sunday night/monday morning right?

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
So are we expecting a famitsu article this week to coincide with e3? Plus its been two weeks since the last one. I seem to remember the preview for the articles being posted sunday night/monday morning right?

It's very possible we'll see one this week, since they've as yet been 2 weeks apart. Would make for a veritable information blowout.

Fendoreo1

Jan 1, 2019
Honestly I've become more and more confident that the game is going to be good the more they've shown of it. All the systems seem well thought out and I have high hopes for the characters and story. I mean there is still a chance it won't live up to the hype, but I'm pretty sure it'll be a solid game at the very least at this point

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I can see primitive firearms being like "tank archers", slow, resistant and hit hard. Anyway, modern clothes have always been there.

Vika.jpg
Wow, yeah, she's got jorts.

As for guns, I think it'd be a weapon you could give to anybody, but it'd take a turn to reload or something. Hits hard, but low accuracy.
Honestly I've become more and more confident that the game is going to be good the more they've shown of it. All the systems seem well thought out and I have high hopes for the characters and story. I mean there is still a chance it won't live up to the hype, but I'm pretty sure it'll be a solid game at the very least at this point
I love what I've seen, and the leaks make me more confident in the quality, but the total lack of non-Japanese marketing does have me worried about how well it'll actually perform.

Chalphy

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Petra starts this week before the expected E3 blowout.

Granddaughter of the King of Brigid, a vassal state to the Adrestian Empire, southwest of Fodlan. She has enrolled with the Black Eagles as a symbol of solidarity with the Empire. She hasn't quite mastered the common language of Fodlan, but she gives it her all with her studies.

MegaXZero

One Winged Slayer
Jun 21, 2018

Granddaughter of the King of Brigid, a vassal state to the Adrestian Empire, southwest of Fodlan. She has enrolled with the Black Eagles as a symbol of solidarity with the Empire. She hasn't quite mastered the common language of Fodlan, but she gives it her all with her studies.

Black eagles keep delivering

Hours Left

Oct 26, 2017
Petra is going to be very popular.

It's messed up that she's basically a "gift" to the Black Eagles from a country under their rule.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
Three Houses continues to prioritize world-building and political machinations. I love it.

Despite being royalty, I'm going to say it's unlikely that Petra possesses a crest, since they're passed down through the bloodlines of the three main nations' Greats / Divines.

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

Black Eagles best team

I've been really pleased with what they've shown of the game lately. Can't wait for a blowout of info at E3!

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
I don't really 'get' the Petra hype - she's kind of a boring design? Would have been way more interesting with shorter hair / a less overworked hairdo:

yBLjgB5.png

Golnei

Oct 25, 2017
I don't really 'get' the Petra hype - she's kind of a boring design? Would have been way more interesting with shorter hair / a less overworked hairdo:

yBLjgB5.png

It's more due to the contrast - she's an okay but not hugely fascinating design, but the competition isn't exactly putting up much of a challenge.

MoogleMaestro

Oct 25, 2017
Anybody have an idea on what Nintendos plans are for the game regarding the e3 showfloor? I want to keep my mind open toward the game and try it myself. I decided that I was probably a bit jaded before and will give the game more of a chance here. Some of the mechanics seem interesting.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
How many chars are left? I don't expect Famitsu to spill more than just the initial members of the three houses at the academy.

It's messed up that she's basically a "gift" to the Black Eagles from a country under their rule.
It was pretty common in the real world too during the medieval times. Offspings were given to other lords not only as hostages/pledges but also as vassals between friendly/allied parties.

Funny thing, the historical Vlad Tepes (the inspiration for Dracula) actually was given to the ottoman empire as a pledge. ... Yes, i sometimes fall into the Wikipedia loop.

Aveyn Knight

Nov 29, 2017
UK
Anybody have an idea on what Nintendos plans are for the game regarding the e3 showfloor? I want to keep my mind open toward the game and try it myself. I decided that I was probably a bit jaded before and will give the game more of a chance here. Some of the mechanics seem interesting.
Last I checked it's not on the show floor. I think Treehouse may cover it though.
How many chars are left? I don't expect Famitsu to spill more than just the initial members of the three houses at the academy.
Once this week is done, only one student from each house. This week we are on the 7th student from each house.

Orion

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Petra's one of my favorite designs tbh.

Given the opportunity, I fully plan on recommending an immediate transfer to the Blue Lions where she belongs.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I cant like Petra because I feel she should be black and she isnt black and it reminds of how IS forgets that black people exists for the most time

Also the fact that she is yet another foreign swordsman/swordswoman that doesnt speak the language very well. Cmon Fire Emblem let's stop using the same tropey characters

Golnei

Oct 25, 2017
I cant like Petra because I feel she should be black and she isnt black and it reminds of how IS forgets that black people exists for the most time

Also the fact that she is yet another foreign swordsman/swordswoman that doesnt speak the language very well. Cmon Fire Emblem let's stop using the same tropey characters

She is slightly darker than the 'normal' characters, so they did think to indicate her foreignness a bit in that way; but they're not using it as dramatically as they were for Basilio / Flavia in Awakening; or Rinkah in Fates. Still, there is Doduo; who has a more noticeable difference in skintone. Flavia was also lighter than Basilio.

tumblr_psvyvptxut1vql4xno1_540.png

Although I definitely don't expect a Fire Emblem game to go over the top with ethnic diversity (or abandon the archetypes that have worked in the past); the designs are looking very homogeneous in more ways than just that. Maybe the big reveal is that every student except Raphael is cloned from Byleth; or an alternate dimension counterpart disguising themselves with a questionable wig.

But I'd prefer "IS forgetting black people exist" over Devdan.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
She is slightly darker than the 'normal' characters, so they did think to indicate her foreignness a bit in that way; but they're not using it as dramatically as they were for Basilio / Flavia in Awakening; or Rinkah in Fates. Still, there is Doduo; who has a more noticeable difference in skintone. Flavia was also lighter than Basilio.

tumblr_psvyvptxut1vql4xno1_540.png

Although I definitely don't expect a Fire Emblem game to go over the top with ethnic diversity (or abandon the archetypes that have worked in the past); the designs are looking very homogeneous in more ways than just that. Maybe the big reveal is that every student except Raphael is cloned from Byleth; or an alternate dimension counterpart disguising themselves with a questionable wig.

But I'd prefer "IS forgetting black people exist" over Devdan.
She is still not black, her skin tone is the maximum than what they would do.
Also no, just because they tried once and it was awful we should just accept they not trying more. There is nothing to prefer here, it is something that should happen. Petra is disappointing

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017

Reminds me of Athena.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
She is still not black, her skin tone is the maximum than what they would do.
Also no, just because they tried once and it was awful we should just accept they not trying more. There is nothing to prefer here, it is something that should happen. Petra is disappointing

I completely agree that IS should diversify their casts more, but I'm not sure why you're singling out Petra as someone who should have been black. Because... she's foreign?

There are still a lot of unknown nations on the map, and Dedue and Claude are noticeably darker complected than Petra. If the comprehensive world-building so far is any indication, we'll get at least a glimpse of the other nations or their inhabitants, too — not just Brigid.

"Foreign swordswoman who doesn't speak the dominant language very well" is... not too common a trope within Fire Emblem. The only other one I can think of is Athena? And Petra is already on the way to being more interesting than her, with this backstory.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I completely agree that IS should diversify their casts more, but I'm not sure why you're singling out Petra as someone who should have been black. Because... she's foreign?

There are still a lot of unknown nations on the map, and Dedue and Claude are noticeably darker complected than Petra. If the comprehensive world-building so far is any indication, we'll get at least a glimpse of the other nations or their inhabitants, too — not just Brigid.

"Foreign swordswoman who doesn't speak the dominant language very well" is... not too common a trope within Fire Emblem. The only other one I can think of is Athena? And Petra is already on the way to being more interesting than her, with this backstory.
I said swordsman/woman, we have that guy from awakening, we also have the variance that doesnt have language problem like Lon'qu(he is timid instead)
And no it isnt because she's foreign, but because she has features that looks like that would combine well on a black character like her hair and eye color but they ultimately decided to make her not be black. I am sure she would look prettier if her skin tone was darker

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
I like Petra a lot, but yeah diversity is abysmal in this series and 3H looks no different so far. Maybe we'll get lucky with all the world building and other areas outside of the three kingdoms they've been putting the work into and some of our other units from outside the school will be more varied. More age, race and social diversity is really needed. So far everyone falls into all or most of the same categories of well to do, if not noble, light skinned and young. With very few real significant or noticeable outliers. The Officer's Academy is obviously why there's a significant homogeneity to the group so far, but that doesn't really excuse it or make it alright.

Fendoreo1

Jan 1, 2019
I believe if we follow precedent, if there is going to be fire emblem news in famitsu this week, we should see a preview in about 8 hours.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
It would be cool if we had an unbiguous woc in the main cast, yeah. Petra is a pretty good design overall, though.

Considering she's from an Adrestian vassal state, there's potential for good personal and political friction between her and the rest her House.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
If I was to change anything about Petra it would be the tattoo under her eye, not remove it just something more unique than it is, and remove 3 of the smaller braids. They look weird. One braid, like the left most, looks nice, but 4 random braids looks kind of odd. Her giant braided pony tail is like one of the best features of her design.

Hours Left

Oct 26, 2017
If I was to change anything about Petra it would be the tattoo under her eye, not remove it just something more unique than it is, and remove 3 of the smaller braids. They look weird. One braid, like the left most, looks nice, but 4 random braids looks kind of odd. Her giant braided pony tail is like one of the best features of her design.
There are too many small braids. One or two would of been enough.