• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Choose your house, Era

• #TeamEdelgard (Black Eagles)

Votes: 837 58.7%
  • #TeamDimitri (Blue Lions)

Votes: 145 10.2%
  • #TeamClaude (Golden Deer)

Votes: 444 31.1%

• Total voters

LunaSerena

Oct 25, 2017
I like Claude's design after the time skip, but time didn't do anything for Dimitri. He looks like a barbarian instead of a king.

They didn't show anything today, so we'll probably see some FE gameplay tomorrow, though it will most likely be of the beginning month at the academy.

I hope the story doesn't disappoint. Fates sounded cool all the way up to release, but the shot of what it seemed a defeated Edelgard with Byleth gives me hope.

mnk

Nov 11, 2017
Well damn now they need to start tweeting out the post time skip portraits. I can't make an informed decision anymore, lol.

LunaSerena

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds good from the article, but I'm not convinced by them just dropping the weapon triangle, just as I wasn't convinced by IS dropping the weapon durability system in Fates. I hope it's better balanced here.

Deleted member 49438

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 7, 2018
I would prefer they keep the weapon triangle, but I can survive without it. This will make more weapon types viable regardless of enemy types which is a good or a bad thing depending on how you look at it.

Oct 27, 2017
Bandung Indonesia
What's the form of support conversations in this game? Will there be romance-related stuff where you can pair everybody with somebody? Hahaha.

Call me silly or whatever, but I really enjoyed those two elements the most in the Fire Emblems that I have played (FE7, 8, and Awakening)

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
What's the form of support conversations in this game? Will there be romance-related stuff where you can pair everybody with somebody? Hahaha.

Call me silly or whatever, but I really enjoyed those two elements the most in the Fire Emblems that I have played (FE7, 8, and Awakening)

Yeah, there'll be some form of that. The game just looks to have a lot more characterization by virtue of not being totally reliant in supports, since you can interact with your characters in a variety of ways.

PER_Soul

Apr 2, 2019
Lima, Peru

[Blue Lions] Sylvain (CV: Furukawa Makoto, One Punch Man)
The successor to the house of Duke Gautier at the border. He cares for his friends, and is admired as an older brother figure in his class, but his fondness for sweet-talking girls is unmatched, such that he has endless troubles. He has an elder brother who was removed as the heir due to not possessing a Crest.
Second pic:
"Ahhh... I never get tired of looking at girls making worried faces."
Convo:
"Dorothea-chan, Hilda, Mercedes... Lady Rhea is also a super beauty. Man, this Officer's Academy is great, isn't it teacher? Beauties everywhere! Hahahaha!"

Jan 9, 2018
Doesn't sound like anyone's talking about it, but the Gamespot preview confirmed you'll be able to recruit students from other Houses based on specific requirements, and they use Lorenz (who apparently is interested in how adept Byleth is at teaching Reason) as their example. They also said the recruitment will actually affect the post-timeskip story which is nice.

The thanibomb leak stated you'd be able to recruit one student from another House, and that you couldn't recruit Lords or retainer-type characters, and yet we have Lorenz (a retainer-type character to Claude) confirmed as recruitable, and Gamespot made no mention of their being a hard limit to 1 recruit.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
The thanibomb leak stated you'd be able to recruit one student from another House, and that you couldn't recruit Lords or retainer-type characters, and yet we have Lorenz (a retainer-type character to Claude) confirmed as recruitable, and Gamespot made no mention of their being a hard limit to 1 recruit.

It's possible Hilda is technically Claude's "real" retainer. I can't imagine we would be able to recruit, say, Dedue away from the Blue Lions — his story is too entwined with Dimitri's. Likewise Hubert for Edelgard.

Gamespot only had an hour to demo, so I don't think they would know the limitations of the mechanic too well.

Yata

Feb 1, 2019
Spain
Watched Treehouse's footage and both maps looked awful. Both design-wise and looks-wise.

I feel like Three Houses is going to be such a big mess of ideas which won't be fully realized. But I honestly prefer this outcome that having the blandest game possible, see Birthright.

At least I hope the story will be decent, I guess?

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Watched Treehouse's footage and both maps looked awful. Both design-wise and looks-wise.

I feel like Three Houses is going to be such a big mess of ideas which won't be fully realized. But I honestly prefer this outcome that having the blandest game possible, see Birthright.

We barely saw the maps tho, and even then they don't seem awful just not very exciting

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017

Really? I liked 'em. The indoor map having stuff like teleport pads and lever-gates was a nice touch.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Talking about the quality of the Fire Emblem maps showing only the first ones is absurd and you know it.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
For early game maps, I'd say they're actually quite good, with varied mechanics and objectives. Looking forward to seeing how they play on Hard Mode.

Neoleo2143

Oct 27, 2017
For the indoor map, it's worth noting that we only saw about half of it if not less. There were some side objectives and the tile gimmick could be more important on hard mode, in addition to the hard turn limit.

The outdoor paralogue map looked fine. Soft Time limit for side objectives, varied enemy comps, multiple fronts and even on normal mode, enemies will use gambits like lure.

In general, the individual decisions at play is a lot more involved than previous games as well.

The least interesting map was the one from the gamespot footage, with the bandits and the main miniboss. The maps are definitely not awful, they have ideas and seem to work fine but I'd definitely want to see a Conquest Chapter 10 tier map again.

Jan 9, 2018
It's possible Hilda is technically Claude's "real" retainer. I can't imagine we would be able to recruit, say, Dedue away from the Blue Lions — his story is too entwined with Dimitri's. Likewise Hubert for Edelgard.

Gamespot only had an hour to demo, so I don't think they would know the limitations of the mechanic too well.
I never got that vibe from Hilda, but I could see it.

And whether they knew the limitations or not, the Treehouse segment confirmed you can recruit more than one student, since we know they were able to recruit both Raphael and Ignatz to the Black Eagles in the first save file they showed off. So that's nice.

Fendoreo1

Jan 1, 2019
For the indoor map, it's worth noting that we only saw about half of it if not less. There were some side objectives and the tile gimmick could be more important on hard mode, in addition to the hard turn limit.

The outdoor paralogue map looked fine. Soft Time limit for side objectives, varied enemy comps, multiple fronts and even on normal mode, enemies will use gambits like lure.

In general, the individual decisions at play is a lot more involved than previous games as well.

The least interesting map was the one from the gamespot footage, with the bandits and the main miniboss. The maps are definitely not awful, they have ideas and seem to work fine but I'd definitely want to see a Conquest Chapter 10 tier map again.
I feel like the relatively weak map was made up for by the boss, which has some cool design. Massive AOE attacks that can actually kill units, and 3 health bars is really good, makes the boss an actual threat unlike most fire emblems where they are too fragile to do anything.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
They already did. Echoes had DLC-blocked classes, some short epilogue/special chapters and some grinding chapters. And IIRC it wasn't cheap.
I know, I am talking about this game, Echoes didn't cause much buzz because it was remake launched later in 3DS life, while FE 3H will have much more press

Neoleo2143

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like the relatively weak map was made up for by the boss, which has some cool design. Massive AOE attacks that can actually kill units, and 3 health bars is really good, makes the boss an actual threat unlike most fire emblems where they are too fragile to do anything.

Yeah, usually something like that would be a final boss in a previous FE game, which makes me wonder if the final boss in this game is going to be crazy or something.

Also, seems like we have different groups of enemies as the bandits will attack the beast on their own as well. So I can imagine a post-time skip map where you're watching two armies tear each other apart and both are your enemies.

Oct 25, 2017
im honestly pretty upset they shafted the women on class choices...Not a deal breaker, but I want to write a sternly worded letter to nintendo

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Something I really liked from the indoor map is that apparently you could either clear out everybody but the boss, or just beeline for the boss himself. Might be something there.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
They shafted both genders on class choices, male units can't fly until advanced classes that might be a good portion of the game

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
They shafted both genders on class choices, male units can't fly until advanced classes that might be a good portion of the game

im honestly pretty upset they shafted the women on class choices...Not a deal breaker, but I want to write a sternly worded letter to nintendo

I wouldn't take that as confirmed just yet. Could be we're only seeing partial lists of the classes — maybe no one has fulfilled the requirements for some, or something. After all, we see female units able to be mercenary... but hero is conspicuously absent from Edelgard's list.

Besides, Advanced classes aren't the final tier, so even if males did have to wait for flying, it's not like they're waiting until endgame.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't take that as confirmed just yet. Could be we're only seeing partial lists of the classes — maybe no one has fulfilled the requirements for some, or something. After all, we see female units able to be mercenary... but hero is conspicuously absent from Edelgard's list.

Besides, Advanced classes aren't the final tier, so even if males did have to wait for flying, it's not like they're waiting until endgame.
Well soldier is missing from her list and we know that female units can become soldiers

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
Only $40 would be an improvement! Still can't believe they tried to charge more than the game itself for Echoes' SP...
Agreed man. I hate myself for giving in but I did get a couple of the dlc for awakening and fates.

I would be quite happy with a 40 dollars for everything season pass even if I know in my heart of hearts that it still would be insanely bad value for price(compared to what other devs/companies do), at the same time it would be a large improvement of what we have right now.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
I know, I am talking about this game, Echoes didn't cause much buzz because it was remake launched later in 3DS life, while FE 3H will have much more press
Of course, but I don't think that we should expect something on the same level as Xc2 DLC. Even BotW has a far worse price-content relation, only game I think had DLC on the same level as Xc2 is Tw3, and even so it doesn't include the really good gameplay improvements that Xc2 DLC has, especially with Torna.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Well soldier is missing from her list and we know that female units can become soldiers
It's also possible that Edelgard's class options may be more restricted due to her status as a house leader/Lord character, so there's a more unique path for her than most units would have access to.

mnk

Nov 11, 2017
After seeing the E3 trailer with the time skip, I think I'm at the point where I don't really want to see anything else about the game until it's in my hands. I know enough to know I'll be happy, and I want to discover everything else on my own. I still want to see post-skip student portraits, but that's about it. Don't think I'll even watch the Treehouse footage.

Golnei

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly didn't expect her to be so droopy looking.

I'm sure only good things will happen to her in the future.

The-House-in-Fata-Morgana-1869.jpg