• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Euphoria

Oct 25, 2017
Earth
This is quite the spin.

excelsiorlef quoted you earlier in response to you saying you wish this law would be in NY after multiple pages of people in the thread pointed out that it would be used to target minorities. Why are you only replying to me but not the person who actually quoted you?

I thought there was some joke in there about Eric Adams not liking Jazz music.

You about to try and ascribe something to me too now? You say I'm spinning, but I'm not the one who intentionally edited a post someone responded to.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
Loud cars are irritating but I'm gonna agree that this law is gonna be used as an excuse for the police to use at their whim.

ThatCrazyGuy

Nov 27, 2017
Can we do something about those loud ass motorcycles and trucks, with those weird exhaust systems that are loud as fuck.

This music thing will not be handled right by the cops, I think we all know this. Plus 25 feet is way off, that's too close.

I don't trust a lot of cops my whole life really though, I've been turning down my music if they are next to me for the longest, even though I listen to my loud music with the windows up.

Euphoria

Oct 25, 2017
Earth
You're being disingenuous and waving off the racism surrounding this law so I think I'm done replying to you.

And now you're ascribing things to me.

The way that post was written I didn't realize if it was pointed at me or a joke regarding Adams. But no worries, just keeping making claims about users.

Thanks for thinking and speaking for me though. Great form of discussion.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
A minor annoyance should not be against the law.
Being woken up at 3am on a Tuesday by Garth Brooks blaring from someone's radio on the road behind my house is not a "minor annoyance" to me.

But maybe that's just me.

Edit: Also it's not just music I feel this way about. I also hate vehicles that are specifically customized to be as loud as physically possible for no real practical reason.

So maybe I am just a cranky old man at this point in my life.

Euphoria

Oct 25, 2017
Earth
Okay, so just to clarify: you now recognize the racism involved with this law and agree it should not be a law in NY?

I do not like your way of discussing. You're giving me one way to answer. That's not how discussions work. You don't provide me only one answer and I either agree or disagree. I get to speak my own words. Again, you don't get to put words in my mouth.

I live in NY. I know everything that goes on here, which is why the post I initially made in the threads said there needed to be limitations. I don't agree with it as is, but have my example of what I find problematic.

Situations for example being in my car trying to have a conversation with my wife on the phone, but it's difficult because someone has music so loud and with so much bass that my car is literally rattling and all of that can be heard over my conversations inside my own car.

If that situation occurred then the music is way too loud.

If I'm in my yard and I can hear yours in the next yard? I don't care. In my car and can hear some sounds? I don't care. Most things I don't care.

Motorcycles and supped up cars with super loud exhausts were also mentioned. I hate those loud Harley's too.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
I do not like your way of discussing. You're giving me one way to answer. That's not how discussions work. You don't provide me only one answer and I either agree or disagree. I get to speak my own words. Again, you don't get to put words in my mouth.

I live in NY. I know everything that goes on here, which is why the post I initially made in the threads said there needed to be limitations. I don't agree with it as is, but have my example of what I find problematic.

Situations for example being in my car trying to have a conversation with my wife on the phone, but it's difficult because someone has music so loud and with so much bass that my car is literally rattling and all of that can be heard over my conversations inside my own car.

If that situation occurred then the music is way too loud.

If I'm in my yard and I can hear yours in the next yard? I don't care. In my car and can hear some sounds? I don't care. Most things I don't care.

Motorcycles and supped up cars with super loud exhausts were also mentioned. I hate those loud Harley's too.

I'm not asking you for situations where loud music is annoying.

I'm asking a yes or no question: do you believe this law would be used to disproportionately target minorities?

Euphoria

Oct 25, 2017
Earth
I'm not asking you for situations where loud music is annoying.

I'm asking a yes or no question: do you believe this law would be used to disproportionately target minorities?

Clearly yes, hence why I mentioned needing limitations.

Now let me ask you a question. Why did you jumped to conclusions on my intentions instead of asking me to clarify what I meant when I made my very first post and said "There needs to be limitations" and the same example I just have above about bass and sound inside my own vehicle?

Because that was all there in the first post I made.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI

What are these limitations and how do these limitations prevent the law from being abused by police?

Edit: So wait, this is what you originally said:

Also needs limits. If someone has their windows open and I do too, and as a result I hear their music? That's fine.

My music is on, my windows are shut, but I can hear yours AND my car is rattling?

No thanks. I want to hear my music too.

... Those aren't limits. "If we both have our windows music and their music is louder than mine, then it's a punishable offense" isn't a limitation. There is no way to properly enforce a law based on guidelines like that. It is impossible.

And it also doesn't solve the main issue: this law only exists to target minorities. What you just described as a "limitation" doesn't stop that.

Last edited:

Euphoria

Oct 25, 2017
Earth
What are these limitations and how do these limitations prevent the law from being abused by police?

There are posters in here from other places where laws like this are already in place and say it works. They could have examples for you better than I could.

I could just give examples of what I don't think it an issue, which I gave. Also give examples of what would be a problem, which I gave.

The thread speaks of just 25ft of noise. Clearly my posts show that just that as the bar to cross is ridiculous and I pivot to more actual distractions.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn

Now let me ask you a question. Why did you jumped to conclusions on my intentions instead of asking me to clarify what I meant when I made my very first post and said "There needs to be limitations" and the same example I just have above about bass and sound inside my own vehicle?

Because that was all there in the first post I made.

New York, well NYC, has extensive noise ordinances.

Nothing there on kicker boxes but they go over honking and engine noises and well, you know from experience how that goes down.

Problem is you can't put limitations because the people to enforce those limitations are the ones who are the ones with bias. Particularly in New York; I can name out specific venues for instance that got harassed for noise violations because of 'clientele' (aka, black and brown people waiting outside on a line) vs your usual NYU student shitfaced dive bar blasting Gaga.

We live in America y'all, lol. The cops can regulate this shit if they want to, the fact you have this law aimed at the 'black teen blasting hip hop' stereotype has nothing to do with noise. Im just shocked you think the NYPD would be able to pull this off without their racist gestapo tactics. Motherfuckers turned mask violations into fining minorities, lol.

www.nydailynews.com

Police reform group says NYPD continues to target minorities for arrest

The NYPD is still targeting a disproportionate number of minority New Yorkers for arrest, according to a police reform group that sits in on arraignments in criminal courts across the five boroughs…

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
There are posters in here from other places where laws like this are already in place and say it works.

We're talking about America. Not other countries. How it works in other countries isn't relevant to this conversation.

Are those countries a police state with a country-wide epidemic of Black men and women being targeted and murdered by police?

It's as simple as this: It is literally not possible to have a law like this in America and have it not be abused by police.

Euphoria

Oct 25, 2017
Earth
New York, well NYC, has extensive noise ordinances.

Nothing there on kicker boxes but they go over honking and engine noises and well, you know from experience how that goes down.

Problem is you can't put limitations because the people to enforce those limitations are the ones who are the ones with bias. Particularly in New York; I can name out specific venues for instance that got harassed for noise violations because of 'clientele' (aka, black and brown people waiting outside on a line) vs your usual NYU student shitfaced dive bar blasting Gaga.

We live in America y'all, lol. The cops can regulate this shit if they want to, the fact you have this law aimed at the 'black teen blasting hip hop' stereotype has nothing to do with noise.

NYC I wouldn't even bother. Whenever I go there the expectation is that there is never a situation where noise isn't super loud.

I live on Long Island and here people barely even honk. We do get those rows Harley's though that you can hear an exit away.

Euphoria

Oct 25, 2017
Earth
We're talking about America. Not other countries. How it works in other countries isn't relevant to this conversation.

Are those countries a police state with a country-wide epidemic of Black men and women being targeted and murdered by police?

It's as simple as this: It is literally not possible to have a law like this in America and have it not be abused by police.

Well then we honestly can't really go much further can we? I don't believe in just doing nothing, and clearly others feel the same way.

Unfortunately we also don't have the solutions either as I'm not in the position for it. I won't ever deny NY has issues. The entire country does.

If the law doesn't go into place I'll continue on as usual.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Well then we honestly can't really go much further can we? I don't believe in just doing nothing, and clearly others feel the same way.

Why are you acting like this is some sort of epidemic that we need to put an end to?

"Cars driving with very loud music" is a minor inconvenience for the overwhelming majority of people in this country.

Nothing needs to be done.

It is not a problem.

DarrenM

Oct 28, 2017
I like blasting my music in the car, but I only do it on the open road, while moving. If I'm at a red light, slow moving traffic or what ever I turn it down. I absolutely do not have it turned up if I'm in a residential area. Getting a ticket for listening to loud music in this situation is ridiculous.

Even though the cops will apparently have equipment, this will be easily abused.

Euphoria

Oct 25, 2017
Earth
Why are you acting like this is some sort of epidemic that we need to put an end to?

"Cars driving with very loud music" is a minor inconvenience for the overwhelming majority of people in this country.

It is not a problem.

When did I ever say that? I said music so loud it rattles my car interior and I can hear it.

If you're going to quote me, then do it right. Once again, stop putting words in my mouth.

You've done this multiple times now to pivot discussion and to be honest I'm beginning to find this discussion to be in very bad faith on your part, and that's unfortunate because I don't hold the view you keep trying to make it seem I do.

I literally spelled it out 3 times now.

Euphoria

Oct 25, 2017
Earth
Yes, and you think police should be stepping in to punish people when this happens to you.

That's the problem.

Or anyone else who finds their car rattling problematic while they are trying to drive?

I just arrived with my family at Discovery Cove now, so I'm leaving. I will check in later.

Take care.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
NYC I wouldn't even bother. Whenever I go there the expectation is that there is never a situation where noise isn't super loud.

I live on Long Island and here people barely even honk. We do get those rows Harley's though that you can hear an exit away.

I used to live off Jericho Turnpike and man, 2am you would have a bunch of teens living their fast and the furious dreams in 4 cylinder cars hopped up not to go fast, but just go from A to B loudly.

Ultimately most places have noise ordinances, its just getting cops to give a fuck.

ZedLilIndPum

Oct 27, 2017
This is such an angry white retiree law. It's nonsensical from any perspective other than giving cops more power to do what they do. And I hate loud music coming from outside! But there are already noise ordinances.

Shadow

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I find those cars/trucks with super loud engines FAR and I mean FAR worse than loud music. They should ban those instead. I was riding a bike the other day and one of those trucks went by and made my ears ring afterwords.

May 14, 2021
Being woken up at 3am on a Tuesday by Garth Brooks blaring from someone's radio on the road behind my house is not a "minor annoyance" to me.

But maybe that's just me.

Edit: Also it's not just music I feel this way about. I also hate vehicles that are specifically customized to be as loud as physically possible for no real practical reason.

So maybe I am just a cranky old man at this point in my life.
I wouldn't classify that as cranky. I had a neighbor who for some reason sat in their running car in their driveway at all hours of the night blasting music. Fortunately one very intimidating neighbor rectified that issue before the cops got involved. But anyone who thinks that's a minor inconvenience, you couldn't be more wrong. Still doesn't change the fact that while these laws would help with some legitimate issues, they're clearly going to be used to target specific groups of people.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Or anyone else who finds their car rattling problematic while they are trying to drive?

See, we're going around in circles here and that's what is so frustrating.

- You said this law should be in NY. You said this after multiple pages of people pointing out that this is a racist law.

- It's then pointed out to you specifically by multiple people that it's a racist law.

- You apparently agree it's a racist law but then continue to make comments that are differently phrased versions of "but sometimes loud music is annoying."

- I point out the minor inconvenience of "loud music for a few seconds" doesn't matter in the face of the law being inherently racist. The cycle starts anew.

And no, that isn't putting words in your mouth. In the post I just quoted, you're still complaining about "finding car rattling problematic while trying to drive." Okay, but it's being pointed out to you that it is literally impossible for this law to exist without it being abused by police. So what is the point in continuing to imply that you still want the law to happen?

Oct 28, 2017

It is not a problem.
Exactly. It lasts all of 3 seconds and then either you move on or they do. This law is bullshit. How about in PA they do something about the 4 wheelers and dirt bikes blasting up and down suburb roads or the rednecks constantly lighting off fireworks every day from June until August. Loud car music, pfft, gimme a friggen break.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I find those cars/trucks with super loud engines FAR and I mean FAR worse than loud music. They should ban those instead. I was riding a bike the other day and one of those trucks went by and made my ears ring afterwords.
Agree with this. I'm not a fan of the annoyingly loud music, but the excessively loud cars are fucking ridiculous.

Like I can appreciate the sound of a classic muscle car or a sports car. But the people who throw on special exhausts onto old as fuck PoS trucks or bikes just to be annoying drive me insane. Especially late at night while I'm trying to sleep.

Oct 25, 2017
Man I'd love this law if it weren't for it being applied unequally. Noise pollution from cars in general pisses me off, and 95% of noise pollution in any city is from cars.

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
If your bass literally vibrates everything within a 50 to 100 foot radius your shit is too fucking loud.

Euphoria

Oct 25, 2017
Earth
User Banned (2 Weeks): Concern trolling in a sensitive thread across multiple posts
See, we're going around in circles here and that's what is so frustrating.

- You said this law should be in NY. You said this after multiple pages of people pointing out that this is a racist law.

- It's then pointed out to you specifically by multiple people that it's a racist law.

- You apparently agree it's a racist law but then continue to make comments that are differently phrased versions of "but sometimes loud music is annoying."

- I point out the minor inconvenience of "loud music for a few seconds" doesn't matter in the face of the law being inherently racist. The cycle starts anew.

And no, that isn't putting words in your mouth. In the post I just quoted, you're still complaining about "finding car rattling problematic while trying to drive." Okay, but it's being pointed out to you that it is literally impossible for this law to exist without it being abused by police. So what is the point in continuing to imply that you still want the law to happen?

I'm not the only one claiming you putting words in their mouths, so no, I won't let you write the story here.

You believe it isn't an I convenience, myself and others obviously do. You don't get to dictate what it or isn't a "minor inconvenience".

You believe in do nothing. I don't.

That's where it ends. If you choose to continue to misinterpret what I write then that's your issue.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
I'm not the only one claiming you putting words in their mouths,

Please stop. The other person you're referring to was being disingenuous. It was very clear what they were saying and then they bounced from the thread after it was called out.

You believe it isn't an I convenience, myself and others obviously do. You don't get to dictate what it or isn't a "minor inconvenience".

You believe in do nothing. I don't.

Disgusting.

Euphoria

Oct 25, 2017
Earth
Please stop. The other person you're referring to was being disingenuous. It was very clear what they were saying and then they bounced from the thread after it was called out.

Disgusting.

You're clearly just trying to start an issue. I've said 3-4 times now that I know is can be abused with the 25ft rule as it's written. I've made my point clear. You ignore that. Multiple times now and continue to misquote.

Others say it is in place in other countries, as I mentioned, and maybe those users can comment, because I'm not in the current position to. You ignored that too.

You say disgusting, but am I wrong? Did other not have the same issues as me, citing rattling, mufflers, etc...?

You're not slick.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
You're clearly just trying to start an issue. I've said 3-4 times now that I know is can be abused with the 25ft rule as it's written. I've made my point clear. You ignore that. Multiple times now and continue to misquote.

No, that was not ignored. It can be abused no matter how many "feet" they mention. Whether it's 25 feet or 50 feet, it will be abused by police.

The idea that police will abuse the law at any range is a fact. That is not up for debate.

And that's the problem with what you are saying. The existence of this law, no matter the range, only exists for one reason: to target Black people.

Others say it is in place in other countries, as I mentioned, and maybe those users can comment, because I'm not in the current position to. You ignored that too.

Except I didn't? This was literally my reply to you the last time you mentioned it:

Euphoria

Oct 25, 2017
Earth
No, that was not ignored. It can be abused no matter how many "feet" they mention. Whether it's 25 feet or 50 feet, it will be abused by police.

The idea that police will abuse the law at any range is a fact. That is not up for debate.

And that's the problem with what you are saying. The existence of this law, no matter the range, only exists for one reason: to target Black people.

Except I didn't? This was literally my reply to you the last time you mentioned it:

I'm going to be honest, this isn't going anywhere. When someone argues with "can't be debated" or "So you're saying.." then it's one sided at that point and my words won't even register.

We are done here.

Feel free to browse my history too. Shame after so many years here I still gotta deal with being mischaracterized.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Exactly. It lasts all of 3 seconds and then either you move on or they do. This law is bullshit.

When its the cops deciding what's "too loud" you know they are gonna abuse the shit out of it

This is basically why this has been one of the more frustrating threads I've read in a while, whether it's the small number of people outright dismissing the racial issues surrounding it or the larger number of people saying different versions of, "I'd like this law if I didn't think it would unfairly target Black people."

There is no version of this law where that isn't the case.

There is no "well, maybe if they increase it to 50 feet, it won't be abused!"

No one should ever want laws that allow cops to go after people for minor inconveniences (which is what "hearing loud music in a moving car for a few seconds" is for the majority of people in this country).

The only reason laws like this exist in the first place is so that they can be abused.

And by even hearing out the idea that a law like could be good, you're playing right into what the pigs want.

ACAB for a reason.

SasaBassa

Oct 25, 2017
Because police have shown they're capable and worthy of MORE discretion.

That fucking simple yall. They clearly haven't.

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
I've seen too many white kids blast rock music loud as a motherfuckers. Cops toss up the horns. Some hip hop blasting? Lights up, pull over. No thanks.

I've dealt with loud music from neighbors. I fee if a complaint is made, and the noise still present by the time a response occurs, that's one thing. But just being able to fuck with people due to this? Arbitrarily? C'mon. America a country where Black people get pulled over for having air freshener hanging from our mirror talking about "it's blocking your view of the windshield".

www.phoenixnewtimes.com

La Paz Cop Who Pulled Over Black Man for Air Freshener Is Fired

The deputy who stopped a Lake Havasu man over an air freshener in September 2019 has been fired.

Or just murder us outright for music:

abcnews.go.com

Family of man allegedly killed over loud music by security guard asks for justice

Ben Crump called on the Shelby County DA and Kroger to take responsibility.

Fuck that.

Shame after so many years here I still gotta deal with being mischaracterized.

Then stop saying dumb shit, lmao.

Zarshack

May 15, 2018
Australia
This law does make sense because it can be very disruptive, there are laws about noise pollution related to car audio here in Australia as well. I wouldn't trust cops in the US to enforce it fairly though.

Edit: I do wish that there could be a proper way for this to be enforced, e.g. decibel measurement tools used with a decibel limit applied so that the law can't be abused.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Even if this law wasn't racially motivated, I refuse to ever become such a suburban-ass oldhead that I get bothered by loud vehicles passing by to the point that I want there to be an actual law on the books for it.

Zarshack

May 15, 2018
Australia
Even if this law wasn't racially motivated, I refuse to ever become such a suburban-ass oldhead that I get bothered by loud vehicles passing by to the point that I want there to be an actual law on the books for it.
I don't know what the public indecency laws are like in the US, but in Australia it is against the law to swear audibly in a public place, particularly when there are children around. This applies to music that contains explicit content as well, it's not unreasonable for parents to want "obscene" language to be kept in check in public places.

I think the issue is not the law itself, but those who are going to enforce it being racist pieces of shit.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know what the public indecency laws are like in the US, but in Australia it is against the law to swear audibly in a public place, particularly when there are children around. This applies to music that contains explicit content as well, it's not unreasonable for parents to want "obscene" language to be kept in check in public places.

I think the issue is not the law itself, but those who are going to enforce it being racist pieces of shit.
The raging American in me doesn't agree with obscenity laws with regards to swearing. A person passing by in a car with vulgar music or is wearing a shirt that has the word "Fuck" on it is probably not going to damage children over the long term. In general I'm just not a fan of quiet, suburban serenity. It's lifeless.

Zarshack

May 15, 2018
Australia
The raging American in me doesn't agree with obscenity laws with regards to swearing. A person passing by in a car with vulgar music or is wearing a shirt that has the word "Fuck" on it is probably not going to damage children over the long term. In general I'm just not a fan of quiet, suburban serenity. It's lifeless.
I personally agree with the mindset that swearing doesn't damage children, I swear a lot even with my own kids around. Not everyone will agree with that though and I believe that they do have the right to not have exposure to it in a general public area.