• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lady Bow

Nov 30, 2017

Credit to @kunta_ and their youtube channel for the footage:

Screenshots:
D91SiUD.png

Cmh9fno.png

6KRYNWH.png

ar4zYAs.png

yGizVcC.png

iqTLgP1.png

Last edited:

FantaSoda

Oct 28, 2017
Man, I love seeing elements of what would eventually become Mother 3 on the GBA even in this early version of the game. I remember a small blurb about Earthbound 64 in a Nintendo Power and it was enough to keep me hopeful about the 64 even during some really bleak release schedules.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I want to live in the timeline where this came out.

Dark_Castle

Oct 27, 2017
N64 was not great for JRPG, so an Earthbound 64 would have at least helped out in that department.

Still we get Mother 3 for GBA, which is an amazing game. Anyone who enjoyed Earthbound needs to play it. The fan translation was well done.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada

Scherzo

Nov 27, 2017
TBH this doesn't look like it would've actually been feasible on N64 hardware. Like the thing kinda gives me Dreamcast vibes.

Sephiroth

Oct 26, 2017
You know I would love to play this, but the Mother 3 we got was perfect. Without this game dying, we would not have been given perfection on the GBA.

Now bring it to the West!

Ms.Galaxy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
TBH this doesn't look like it would've actually been feasible on N64 hardware. Like the thing kinda gives me Dreamcast vibes.

It wasn't, at least, not for the original vanilla hardware at first. It was designed for the 64DD, which had an extra 4 MB of RAM to work with (which later just became the Expansion Pak) and 64 MB floppy disk thing (which carts eventually reached that size for a decent price). Later footage of Mother 3 64 doesn't look too different than this early build, maybe a bit more detailed.

BocoDragon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Could have been the n64's FF7.
Damn, maybe so.

The thing is that N64 was a console completely devoid of jRPGs* in an era where jRPGs were arguably the ascendant genre of the moment. It really could have used a good A+ RPG.

* Unless you count Quest 64, or want to have that weird argument over whether or not Zelda is an RPG. Ogre Battle arguably counts but it's a subgenre of jRPG and came out super late... etc.

OP
OP
Lady Bow

Lady Bow

Nov 30, 2017
Earthbound 64 was most likely never near a complete state, but man if it was.......would have been a nice N64 Classic stocking stuffer like Star Fox 2.

requiem

Dec 3, 2017
The lack of a good JRPG literally crippled the N64 in Japan. This game wouldn't have been the answer to FFVII, but it could have really helped.

Clov

Oct 25, 2017
Oh wow, actual new footage! That's awesome!

While it would have been great if this version we're completed, ultimately I'm happy with the version we got. The sprites are a lot more charming than the models, anyway. I also remember reading that the ending in the N64 version was supposed to be even darker...

PBalfredo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
I remember seeing screenshots of Ness in the jungle, back in the day. Did we ever find out what was up with that? Most shots of Earthbound 64 could be roughly placed in Mother 3, but that always stood out.

Part of the mushroom trip on Tanetane island, maybe?

Mobu

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Pretty pixels >>>>> polygons that would have aged badly tbh

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
probably would've been epic by late 90s standards. wish they could've fast tracked it to OG N64 hardware without sacrificing much but it wasn't meant to be.

Last edited:

one of us

Oct 28, 2017
I remember getting lost in the screenshots of this in Nintendo Power as a kid. I can guarantee though that the m3 we ended up getting was better than what this would have been.

Oct 27, 2017
So funny, I was at my parent's house a while ago, thumbing though Next Generation mags of mine still there, seeing pics of this.

Lindsay

Nov 4, 2017
Always a shame this game never came. Forever waiting for Earthbound 2. Which prolly wouldn't have had a dumb timed attack gimmick an thus a good battle system.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
New footage is cool to see, but the true holy grail of Mother 3 discoveries would be someone finding the playable demo and dumping it on the web. I need this to happen eventually.

chiraledge

Oct 25, 2017
Earthbound 64 is my ULTIMATE what if game so I'm sitting here poring over this footage like mind blown by these 13 seconds or so of new footage while totally drunk and trying to drunkenly explain to my roommate why these few seconds are so exciting.

Lindsay

Nov 4, 2017
The rhythm battling is what makes mother 3 so good, earthbound 2 has been around
Super strongly disagree! The timing attack stuff in Mario RPG was bad enough. That kinda thing doesn't belong in rpgs like at all! They're supposed ta be chill, not stressful an disappointing when your regular old attack isn't doing as well as it could cause ya fudged timing ~_~

Zed

Oct 28, 2017
Mother 64 may be the holy grail of a never released game people want to play. Suppodesly it was 30-60% done but barely any footage or screenshots exist of the game.

Deleted member 33120

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Nov 15, 2017
M64 will always been a fascinating what if, but for what it's worth, I think we got a game that aged better than it ever would.

Apr 21, 2018
I remember these screenshots in Nintendo Power as a kid. Also very weird to see the OOT footage, it's like seeing those screenshots I dreamt about as a kid come to life. So weird.

I still long for a 3D Earthbound.

OP
OP
Lady Bow

Lady Bow

Nov 30, 2017
Added higher quality video (source) and screenshots to the OP.

You can see what appears to be Ness(?) flash by for a couple frames in the video.

ar4zYAs.png

Also worth noting that right after the Mother 3 footage is beta footage of Ocarina of Time that's not new but the highest quality seen on the internet so far. Very interesting.

Prof Bathtub

Apr 26, 2018
For those saying that a 2D version was for the best, it may be true, but "Zelda 64" not quite a looker at this stage of development either, so a hypothetically-finished EB64 could also be hypothetically-improved. I don't think it would have been "N64's FF7" though, since that game had a cool-factor that Mother games don't aim for. Probably would have sold more than Earthbound on SNES though.

Anyway, it was neat to have a look at that Spaceworld, and the TV host's energy was fun to see.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Super strongly disagree! The timing attack stuff in Mario RPG was bad enough. That kinda thing doesn't belong in rpgs like at all! They're supposed ta be chill, not stressful an disappointing when your regular old attack isn't doing as well as it could cause ya fudged timing ~_~
The timed hits in Mother 3 are really just bonus damage. You could play through the game without worrying about them and still make it through just fine.

Watershed

Oct 26, 2017
Seeing footage like this makes me want to see more indie devs go the retro N64 route. I feel myself becoming nostalgic for the ugliest looking era of gaming.

Molten_

Oct 28, 2017
Imagine an alternate universe where this came out, was a massive international success and mother/earthbound became a household name.

It's fun to pretend.