• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017

Hey Fortnite Community,

Beginning with the release of the 11.50 update in early February, Fortnite will be moving to Unreal Engine's Chaos physics system. At launch, the goal is to ensure that Fortnite still feels like Fortnite. Along the way there will be some bumps, so we're starting tests with a small group of players. We'll also closely monitor feedback and make improvements over time.

With the addition of the 11.50 update, Chapter 2 - Season 2 is now expected to launch Thursday, February 20. Chapter 2 - Season 2 will feature with multiple . We can't brief you on all of next Season's secrets just yet...

Before the Season ends, we'll have additional Overtime Challenges and a new two-week event. Stay tuned to Fortnite social channels for more details!

- The Fortnite Team

This will be major: First we got this:

which led to this:

Now we are going to get this:

And all before next-gen.

UE4 is advancing with very fast paces.

Last edited:

jediyoshi

Oct 25, 2017
Now we are going to get this:

And all before next-gen.

UE4 is advancing with very fast paces.

The announcement doesn't imply anything about how it's going to be used, so I'd throw any gameplay implications right out the window. There's endless effects in the game that'd be effected, it could be 'invisible' to us and still be used and beneficial just from a performance standpoint.

OP
OP
PLASTICA-MAN

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
The announcement doesn't imply anything about how it's going to be used, so I'd throw any gameplay implications right out the window. There's endless effects in the game that'd be effected, it could be 'invisible' to us and still be used and beneficial just from a performance standpoint.
Huh what? Well I don't think this is how it gonna work tbh because this will be included into the zone of performance tweaks and not using new techs or systems. We will have some massive destruction system in next season which will implay a big change to the whole gameplay structure. Think of Bad Company 2 or more like Red Faction and even more.

MrConbon210

Oct 31, 2017
Don't play Fortnite at all but super curious to see how the new engine effects the performance of weaker devices like Switch and mobile.

Mr_DyZ

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jun 12, 2019
I don't want Fortnite to go anywhere, because love it or hate it, that game has done a lot for gaming in general.

With that being said, it kind of feels like it's slowly fading in popularity. I get that it's still huge, but players are frustrated. Lots of bigger named streamers/players have voiced their lack of interest in the game as a "casual" game. The current season has been out for over 100 days without any significant updates. They kind of have to knock it out the park with this next season.

petethepanda

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
chicago
I wound up 100% falling off of Fortnite once Chapter 2 launched (I guess a couple days of downtime was enough to finally snap me out of it after years of being in deep), haven't even launched it a single time since, but I'd be interested to check back in purely to see what's going on with UE4. I'm always a sucker for destruction physics.

jediyoshi

Oct 25, 2017
Huh what? Well I don't think this is how it gonna work tbh because this will be included into the zone of performance tweaks and not using new techs or systems. We will have some massive destruction system in next season which will implay a big change to the whole gameplay structure. Think of Bad Company 2 or more like Red Faction and even more.
"Chaos physics engine" is an all encompassing term for those physics systems, not a specific set of things related to buildings and them falling apart. In general, tech demos exist to stretch limits of demonstration which is why that's how they originally showed it off. They could have just as similarly shown it off by showing trees getting knocked down or a pachinko machine. Just like how the current physics systems that affect character outfits can be turned off and on at will because they're cosmetic, any implementation of this could just as easily be cosmetic and toned up and down rather than imply gameplay mechanics.

OP
OP
PLASTICA-MAN

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
"Chaos physics engine" is an all encompassing term for those physics systems, not a specific set of things related to buildings and them falling apart. In general, tech demos exist to stretch limits of demonstration which is why that's how they originally showed it off. They could have just as similarly shown it off by showing trees getting knocked down or a pachinko machine. Just like how the current physics systems that affect character outfits can be turned off and on at will because they're cosmetic, any implementation of this could just as easily be cosmetic and toned up and down rather than imply gameplay mechanics.

Read about here: https://docs.unrealengine.com/en-US...struction/ChaosDestructionOverview/index.html

The engine is not a showcase term or volatile idea. It is a real thing that can be set with different levels of interactions. It can vary from multiple pebble and debris in one small mesh to just a big chunks. It all depends on how Fortnite gonna implment it. It won't be just cosmetic.
I think you are underestimating what it can offer.

Mar 23, 2018
Smart of them to do this now. I imagine this was why this season was delayed so much, and smart to do this now ahead of next gen this fall. Excited for the future of this game.

Typhoon20

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Stopped playing as soon as they introduced forced crossplay with PC. They took a great step forward with skilled matchmaking system but with forced crossplay with PC that's gone out of the window. I feel like a lot of my friends list has faded off fortnite as well.

And some nice PR words there.
Most of the buildings still look like cardboard boxes from a little distance away.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Sometimes, just for 1 or 2 minutes, I ask myself if I shouldn't have turned my back after playing the first 6 full seasons and buying 4 hands full of legendary/epic costumes/sets.

But then it's like an invisible blockage, after missing out of so much content and costumes, things like Star Wars and hundreds of Battle Pass items, there is no way to ever come back, it would be like a big empty hole in between.

Well, that's the negative part of limited content with battle passes and stuff I believe, some people, at least for me, it's once you're out, you're out for good.

Observable

Oct 27, 2017
I'll be honest and say that Ch2S1 has disappointed me in terms of content.

However, they have improved the games' basic mechanics and corrected a lot of the mistakes of the previous seasons. Next week I get back from over a month of traveling away from home and I can't wait to play again. Then hopefully next season will bring more of what I expected from this season, I know my casual friends are getting burned out from the length of this season.

HeavenlyE

Oct 27, 2017
I fell off after the start of chapter 2 after they removed every ounce of mobility but this could make me try it out again if they introduce destruction tech in a big way, and maybe like a car or something

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
Changes to building is what Fortnite definitely needs... but I'd imagine this is going to be something visually meaningful first and foremost. If the building / destroying starts to feel more like Bad Company then that's potentially amazing. Ultimately though I don't think they would risk changing something people are so attached to. Fortnite's building will be broken forever imo.

gabdeg

Oct 26, 2017
🐝
Chaos is very scalable. The game still has to run on Switch and mobile so don't expect any advanced physics for now.

OP
OP
PLASTICA-MAN

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Chaos is very scalable. The game still has to run on Switch and mobile so don't expect any advanced physics for now.

Yeah. We won't get the enxt-gen level we are getting from UE4 games on next-gen hardware but we will see good enough physics and destruction to spice up the gameplay a little more.

Deleted member 27751

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Read about here: https://docs.unrealengine.com/en-US...struction/ChaosDestructionOverview/index.html

The engine is not a showcase term or volatile idea. It is a real thing that can be set with different levels of interactions. It can vary from multiple pebble and debris in one small mesh to just a big chunks. It all depends on how Fortnite gonna implment it. It won't be just cosmetic.
I think you are underestimating what it can offer.
I would be very surprised if we saw full-on Red Faction 2 style destruction in Fortnite as it just doesn't suit the game's artstyle in any fashion. Fortnite is all about the aspect of "pieces" being the makeup of the building you are destroying, having it crumble away would look...odd to say the least with the current vision. I could be entirely wrong, but as of this moment the destruction like the keynote video will not in any way be a thought for Fortnite because it clashes so severely.

Now, engine optimisation wold 100% be a key component to the physics changeover. That kind of tweaking and changing is very much a backend system of adoptions that users won't necessarily see at face value. Plus all the PR buzzwords are being used in that presser which is pretty typical of Epic's engine tweaks.

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Really interesting that the next engine tech they're putting in is more physics, not more pixels.

Hopefully a lead in to next gen consoles and "everything" having a decent CPU now.

They must do a LOT of optimisation to get physics working on consoles and switch (and phones).

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This reads less like, "building destruction" and more like "we're moving off of PhysX"

For those that don't know, UE4's built-in physics was actually handled by Nvidia's PhysX. Chaos is their home-grown physics solution.

Both unity and Epic have been removing third party solutions from their engines in favor of in-house solutions (like when Unity removed Enlighten as their built-in lightmap baking solution)