• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 30, 2017
As the title says, games that had the potential to turn into franchises some with much room left to improve but sadly were stopped after one release only.

We are talking here about brand new IPs since the HD era started in last generation, not reboots or spiritual sequels:

Heavenly_Sword_Game_Cover.jpg

I always saw a big lose here to Sony with Heavenly Sword, the game was seriously very interesting.. the lore and the characters were very good, it could easily have produced a solid sequel with the much improvement they could have made, at less to give it to one of Sony first party studios to work on it... always wished Santa Monica would have adapted it, but sadly it was overlooked after one game only.

Folklore_%28videogame%29_boxart.jpg

Folklore had one of the most beautiful and interesting art direction and gameplay in the last generation, sadly it didn't sell enough to assure a sequel... or else this could have turned into an amazing franchise.

Puppeteer_cover.png

Many says The Last of Us was the swan song of the PS3, but to me that is wrong... because THIS WAS!

Released only two months before the PS4 this masterpiece of platforming was massively overlooked by the crowds, I always wondered why they didn't delay it till November and made it a lunch cross gen game between the two consoles, they needed to focus the spotlights on this more... but surprise another new IP was overlooked by Sony.

The_Order_1886_Cover_Art.png

The game technically was solid as hell, no flaws or technical problems... it was amazing how polished the game was at release looking at how impressed it looked, but sadly the length of the game and the gameplay was the problem here, everything else was really well made and the basics to a good sequels were there, but sadly Ready at Dawn didn't get the chance to improve themselves with a sequel which is surprising to me since Sony tended to be giving some other studios good amount of chances to do it right if they slipped. I would really love to see more of the unique universe of The Order.

Share yours era ~

Mugy

Oct 28, 2017
For me personally, Vanquish. I had a lot in favor. I don't know what happened

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
Binary_Domain_Cover_Art.png

Best Japanese third person shooter. Love the world, the characters, the stages, the damage system, and the boss fights. Too bad people just want more same old Yakuza every year instead. :/

220px-Resonance_of_Fate_Cover_Art.jpg

Another Sega game that had a great setting and game systems that would benefit from expansion and refinement in a sequel, but was never given a chance. Might have saved tri-Ace from their current fate too. :/

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Puppeteer is visually stunning and charming as all hell but its actual gameplay is kind of shit. There's no challenge. I'd have loved a more arcadey, action-like sequel.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Looking at actual HD platforms in the HD era only (no Wii, DS, 3DS, PSP or Vita), stuff I'd like to see:
  • 3D Dot Game Heroes (From Software/Silicon Studio)
  • Blue Dragon (Microsoft/Mistwalker/Artoon)
  • Dragon's Dogma (Capcom) *might still happen
  • Tokyo Jungle (SCE Japan Studio/Crispy's)
  • The Wonderful 101 (Nintendo/Platinum Games)

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
Looking at actual HD platforms in the HD era only (no Wii, DS, 3DS, PSP or Vita), stuff I'd like to see:
Blue Dragon had sequels.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Is this another thread where I can mention The Saboteur? Because if so, than The Saboteur.

Thinking about the game, maybe it would have to be set in a different era, situation, like Assassins Creed games.

I just want more of The Saboteur.

Katori

Oct 30, 2017
220px-Condemned_Criminal_Origins.jpg

This game should count, it's a shame there was never a sequel.

No, it should count because Sega sent the sequel out to die and knew it would never get a third game.

Mugy

Oct 28, 2017
btw, while i don't consider Asura's Wrath to be good enough to have a sequel (but thats just me), the character is incredible popular and very well designed within Capcom fandom. I don't expect a sequel for that game (unless they drop the QTE mechanics and go full hack n' slash or beat em'up), but i wish Asura showed in MVCI or any Capcom crossover. He's great

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
Blue Dragon and Tokyo Jungle are both franchises. Blue Dragon has two spin-offs on the DS, while Tokyo Jungle had a mobile game. Neither stopped at just one game.

taepoppuri

Oct 29, 2017
I would love Vanquish 2, even with the same stupid story of the first one. The gameplay is just too good.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
When you say potential, what do you mean exactly? Because the reason some of these never saw sequels is because they had no potential due to terrible sales.

Joseph

Jul 7, 2018
Castle Crashers I'm surprised never had a sequel seeing how successful the game was.

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
Outside of cheating with some Switch games I'm hard pressed to think of anything that hasn't been mentioned. Good games usually get sequels or are sequels.

MMarston

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Though I never finished the game myself, it definitely felt like one of those games that were meant to become a franchise, especially when I found out about the ending later on.
220px-Prey_%28Xbox_360%29.jpg

prey_2_logo.jpg

womp womp

Zaied

Oct 27, 2017
A Dragon's Dogma sequel is looking like a possibility for next gen, so I'll say Vanquish. It doesn't help that the game ended on a cliffhanger, and with it already having very sound mechanics, there was a lot of room for a really good sequel.

Chance Hale

Oct 26, 2017
Colorado
I don't understand why Sony never ported Puppeteer to the PS4, gorgeous game that would have looked brilliant in higher resolutions and hopefully done much better on a new system that needed games.

At least we'll be able to emulate it eventually.

Edit: apparently you already can