• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DoradoWinston

Apr 9, 2019
My guess is at launch we are getting

Series X @ $499
Series S @ $399

Main difference being the GPU so it keeps ram and CPU exactly the same. S could be a white console too to help seperate similar to how the current X and S don't share colour.

th1nk

Nov 6, 2017
Lets hope they manage to run the UI smoothly on that beast... kidding but no kidding, I am disappointed in my XBox One X.

Hungry for PS5 specs now!

Shpeshal Nick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
It's not about being dumb. Get real man. This console is throwing punches with high end PC's that costs thousands of dollars to build. It's obviously targeted at enthusiast, adult gamers. I mean just look at the design, the name. Little Timmy is not the target audience here.
For adult gamers like me with more disposable income, 50$ or 100$ over 500$ is still a pretty good price point for this kind of machine.

Microsoft will take whatever hit they need to to get this put the door at $499

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MS can go crazy on specs and price thanks to Lockhart, so this'll probably be the beastliest next gen machine.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
My guess is at launch we are getting

Series X @ $499
Series S @ $399

Main difference being the GPU so it keeps ram and CPU exactly the same. S could be a white console too to help seperate similar to how the current X and S don't share colour.

We already know the "lockhart" has less ram and a slightly slower CPU in addition to a weaker GPU.

At $399 it would be dead on arrival.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
Anything over $500 will go over like a lead balloon. The average console player isn't going to drop that kind of money on a system.

tokkun

Oct 27, 2017
12 TFLOPs sound so unrealistic in a console. The 5700XT has around 10 TFLOPs and sucks over 200 watt TDP in power. How should the Series X achieve over that performance, while sharing its TDP with a powerful Ryzen ? Navi 2.0 can't be that much more efficient and it's still based on 7nm.

The main thing to understand is that both FLOPs and TDP have very fuzzy definitions that companies manipulate for marketing purposes. Imagine if Tim Cook got on stage and said that the latest iPhone was 2.5X as magical as the previous one. When you see people talking about FLOPs or TDP, you should take it about as seriously as that.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
12 TFlops sounds yumy.

Wonder if 1/ the rumored weaker SKU is real and 2/ what it's specs would be comparatively.

Or will they just rebrand the xbox X as the weaker SKU and give it a permanent $200 price cut ?

Them calling it "Series X" kinda implies multiple options to me. Otherwise it wouldnt be a Series, right?

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
I know Nvidia TFlops don't compare with AMD TFlops, but for the sake of reference I have a RTX 2080 in my PC, and it's 10 TFlops, so put that into consideration for console hardware and it's very impressive.
Yeah that is what I thought.

That is really exciting. We haven't had cutting consoles since the PS2 generation. 360 and then PS4 went with off the shelf parts, which were not high end even before the consoles came out.

I wonder if MS is willing to take a loss on the consoles to make it affordable? That would truly be a return to the old ways.

Horo

Banned
Nov 17, 2017
the Xbox One X launched for $499. if these specs are true i have a hard time believing this thing would be able to match that without a serious loss.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
I know Nvidia TFlops don't compare with AMD TFlops, but for the sake of reference I have a RTX 2080 in my PC, and it's 10 TFlops, so put that into consideration for console hardware and it's very impressive.
2080 is 11.2 TFlops on practice (10 is on base clocks which the card almost never go down to).

Also RDNA1 flops are somewhat comparable to Turing flops, the delta is much smaller than it was between GCN and Maxwell/Pascal/Turing, RDNA should be at around +10% or so to Turing flops to provide similar gaming performance.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They would be foolish to try to sell this thing for more than 500 dollars. I bet they are relying on services like gamepass, and the cheaper lockheart console to recoup some of those costs

nillapuddin

Oct 25, 2017
I think they get super aggressive
series x 500
series s 350

That way even if there's a tiny tiny chance that PS5 is $400-$450 they can have something cheaper or better to offer.

I'd also wager they don't show S until they need to, if ps5 is also 500 then I think you just wait awhile

Oct 25, 2017
$399 XSX pull a Sony move like PS4 and regain market share, although they would lose money doing so.

Never going to happen but would be amazing to pull that price out at a later date as a bombshell announcement around the PS5 reveal.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
Please explain to me, an idiot who knows absolutely nothing about specs, why it seems so unfeasible that the new console would have twice the performance of the Xbox One X, when that machine had something like four times the power of the original Xbox One and it was a same-gen refresh? Is it because these numbers just aren't linear? Or because the original Xbox One was pretty weak? Thanks!

Gaining higher levels of performance isn't based on a linear cost.

This problem is very acute in CPU's and GPU's are now starting to feel the effects of diminishing returns CPU gains saw over a decade ago.

There are only two ways to break out of this problem. The first is with a radical shift in software engineering because as programmers get more comfortable with parallel computing the more feasible it is to make processing units with a larger array of cores within the constraints of commonly used clockspeeds. The other way is to make quantum computers which is still in the research and development phase which would allow for performance unlike anything current processing units could do.

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017
Some people are expecting this to be $700? Damn. Go over $500 and you're treading on dangerous territory. Heck, even $500 is pushing it in the console world.

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly if there's any company that can put this machine out for $499 and be able to take the financial hits, it's Microsoft, so I'd be really surprised if this is more that $499 at retail.

klik

Banned
Apr 4, 2018
12 teraflop GCN not RDNA. 12 tf RDNA is equivalent to 15+ GCN which is almost impossible to have in console right now,not to mention cost of that. Top of the line RX 5700XT is 9.7tf.
So i guess consoles will get something between 8-9 tf rdna navi.

In simple words, 1tf rdna is x1.4 more efficient than GCN.

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
does that mean stadia will stop advertising its 10.7 tflops

Stadia is going to ride their "most powerful" line until they can't anymore, and even then, they'll still keep saying 4k/60.

But 4k/60 means less and less these days. And that will include the new consoles.

As consumers, any time we see 4k/60, we should be assuming at this point what it really means is 4k(dynamic res, checkerboard, reconstruction, etc) / 60 (variable)

groganos

Jan 12, 2018
Ohhhhiiiiyyyoooo
Hey been lurking the threads for a while but doesn't the xbox wire post specifically say "next generation rdna"? Which would mean navi flops and not GCN? So I mean I don't quite think the whole gcn vs navi applies and as soon as I type this the xbox wire site is down great...

Mubrik_

Dec 7, 2017
Crazy specs, love it

No way Sony is matching that at 399$
But they gotta compete somehow which means we win :)

Haint

Banned
Oct 14, 2018
12 TFLOPs sound so unrealistic in a console. The 5700XT has around 10 TFLOPs and sucks over 200 watt TDP in power. How should the Series X achieve over that performance, while sharing its TDP with a powerful Ryzen ? Navi 2.0 can't be that much more efficient and it's still based on 7nm.

The thing is literally a mini tower PC, why would they be concerned with hitting old school console box power draw requirements? People put i9's and 2080tis in shoebox sized cases. There is probably also a good reason the PS5 dev kits have vents and presumably fans on greater than 50%+ of its surface area.

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
2x as powerful as a 1X? I thought it was 4x as powerful?

Is this the smallest leap between gens ever?

Senua looks incredible, but not SOOOOOO much better than some current gen games IMO.

A bit of diminishing returns I think. PS4 tech is gorgeous enough for me to be happy with game visuals.

Still, Senua looks incredible and is on some photo realistic shit.

Deleted member 18400

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Man I really hope we avoid to many tiers of product here. If Xbox releases one at 399 then one at 499 then one at 599 or some shit we will have a problem like we did with this generation.

Studios won't be able to make their games with the top tier in mind, as they will have to scale things back so that they can still sell product to the 399 market (Which will likely be the largest market).

Tiered products also seem to cause problems.

KyngKee

Oct 25, 2017
User warned: platform wars
Why does M$ want to separate the SKU? Isn't this bad for console gaming for devs to have to worry about the lower powered console?

Zojirushi

Oct 26, 2017
If this thing goes for 499 (which I doubt somehow) and will get you 2080 levels of performance I'm interested so see if theres's some effect on PC GPU pricing as well. I mean hell, looking at these super dumb Nvidia prices theses days even I might consider buying one lol

Haint

Banned
Oct 14, 2018
Hmm I expect the volume is about the same as the One X, or maybe even less. Around twice as tall, but half as deep when it's lying down.

Xbone X is around 260 cubic inches, Series X would be around 430 based on the rough dimension estimates.

Why does M$ want to separate the SKU? Isn't this bad for console gaming for devs to have to worry about the lower powered console?

They want a $299 box on shelves, and yes it will be bad from a technical perspective. Regardless of what bullshit anyone tries to feed you, all first and third party titles will target the Series S's capabilities first and foremost, then "scale up" (half assed in most third party's cases) to the Series X and PS5 (like they're currently doing with Pro and Xbone X). The OG Xbone to the Series S will effectively be the real generation leap, which is 1.3ish GCN Teraflops to 4ish RDNA Teraflops based on current rumors.

Last edited:

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
Most people wont have to buy next gen games to show off their new system day 1. Maybe you buy one 3rd party AAA game to compliment Game Pass. With that in mind, if they can scrunch all that power into a $500 box, it's a home run.