• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Mary Celeste

Oct 25, 2017

Will update as more information becomes available. The band spent most of 2019 recording a new record.

spx54

Mar 21, 2019
so glad they've been pumping out so much new music the past few years. Damon and jamie aren't getting any younger.

LabRat

Mar 16, 2018
man i'm still used to waiting 5 years everytime for a new gorillaz record. this is great. to be honest though, there was some good stuff on humanz and on the now now but nothing beats demon days and plastic beach. i wish they would go back to a new gorillaz record being this huge production effort. plastic beach for example really felt like it was expensive as hell to produce.

OP
OP
Mary Celeste

Mary Celeste

Oct 25, 2017
man i'm still used to waiting 5 years everytime for a new gorillaz record. this is great. to be honest though, there was some good stuff on humanz and on the now now but nothing beats demon days and plastic beach. i wish they would go back to a new gorillaz record being this huge production effort. plastic beach for example really felt like it was expensive as hell to produce.
they've been following the same traditions as always, just sped up a bit for this recent effort. Humanz was ambitious and expensive as hell after a long break much like PB was, then The Now Now was a lowkey tour album like The Fall. This is the next PB/Humanz, just without the hiatus prior to recording.

MrNewVegas

Oct 27, 2017
Why is the powerpuff girls guy back? I thought Murdoc was out of jail.​

Idk if the Gorrilaz will ever top DoYaThing.​

LabRat

Mar 16, 2018
they've been following the same traditions as always, just sped up a bit for this recent effort. Humanz was ambitious and expensive as hell after a long break much like PB was, then The Now Now was a lowkey tour album like The Fall. This is the next PB/Humanz, just without the hiatus prior to recording.

maybe expensive is the wrong word. humanz had a lot of big features that is true but plastic beach still feels like there was more effort put into the record or maybe damon was just on another level creatively back in 2010.

OP
OP
Mary Celeste

Mary Celeste

Oct 25, 2017
maybe expensive is the wrong word. humanz had a lot of big features that is true but plastic beach still feels like there was more effort put into the record or maybe damon was just on another level creatively back in 2010.
I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree - there was definitely a lot more going on for PB but I don't think any of them were used to their potential. Humanz felt more like the fulfillment of a grand artistic vision.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
I've been pretty hit or miss on the Gorillaz over the last couple of albums. I loved a lot of the earlier albums but stuff like Plastic Beach never much did it for me even if I enjoyed a few tracks. I'm always down for more though.

Figured this had to happen.

Hot take maybe but Doorman felt more like Gorillaz than some Gorillaz songs did.

Thanks for this. Song was good but the music video was nuts haha

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
While I agree Demon Days and Plastic Beach are better overall albums, there's a lot of great stuff across Humanz and The Now Now, and I'm just glad I'm not waiting years in between albums anymore. Hope they go on tour again this/next year too. Saw them for the first time back in 2018 and it was so great. They also played To Binge with Yukimi on stage, which I didn't realize was the first time that'd happened since the PB tour. One of the highlights of the night for sure.

Gorillaz, Kendrick, The Avalanches.... WE AREN'T READY
the fuck. I won't believe it.

Roxas

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina

So this would be another big album like PB/Humanz? Really excited! I didn't quite get if this was a song from their new album or just a new collab though

OP
OP
Mary Celeste

Mary Celeste

Oct 25, 2017
So this would be another big album like PB/Humanz? Really excited! I didn't quite get if this was a song from their new album or just a new collab though
they recorded last year with artists like Jpegmafia, Moonchild, Fatoumata Diawara and GuiltyBeatz. I assume this song will be the lead for the new phase.

Oct 27, 2017
Omaha
Man Slowthai is insane live, totally blew my and I'm glad I caught his set. I'm so glad he's getting big name collabs.

Can't wait to hear this collab...Humanz was dope but it felt like a lot of songs I liked but not as cohesive of an experIence as their prior albums

daripad

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Are they doing a lot of collabs again? Hopefully they're more cohesive than in Humanz and that every song gets some fulfillment, because Humanz felt like a bunch of song demos put together

Roxas

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Yeah... I liked The Now Now a lot! Loved the Damon vocals but Gorillaz records don't need to be blurish records to be amazing, they need to have that uniqueness that makes Demon Days and Plastic Beach stand out so much, however he needs to sing a bit(?) Otherwise you have another Rocketjuice and The Moon situation in your hands

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Humanz had some great tracks but felt like it really lacked cohesion. The Now Now was a return to that cohesion but it's clear it was more of a mood album that Damon mostly wrote on tour.

This will hopefully hit the balance of both. I listened to Plastic Beach the other week and it aged masterfully. Low-key one of the best albums of the last decade, the concept is just incredible.

Oct 27, 2017
PIT
Murdoc's still not back in the gang proper?

He is, that's an old illustration. Here's a new one.

Gorillaz_band_photo.jpg

Resetta Stone

Oct 26, 2017
Nothing, Arizona
Humanz had some great tracks but felt like it really lacked cohesion. The Now Now was a return to that cohesion but it's clear it was more of a mood album that Damon mostly wrote on tour.

This will hopefully hit the balance of both. I listened to Plastic Beach the other week and it aged masterfully. Low-key one of the best albums of the last decade, the concept is just incredible.

I loved Humanz for all of it's bloated, scattered glory (especially the Super Deluxe version, holy fuck) because I am more of a single song type of guy. Plastic Beach is their most refined album and probably my favorite.

OP
OP
Mary Celeste

Mary Celeste

Oct 25, 2017
Personally I think Humanz is their most coherent and PB is a fucking mess. Different strokes, I guess

Scullibundo

Oct 25, 2017
I like parts of Plastic Beach but found Humanz way more organic. That 'Elevator going Up' lead-in into Andromeda is so good.

Oct 27, 2017
PIT
Every Gorillaz thread....

Personally Humanz has really grown on me, I think a lot of the pushback was just how bleak it was right during the start of the Trump administration.