• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Toriko

Banned
Dec 29, 2017
Coming into the new God of War, I was excited but nervous about how the new Leviathan Axe was going to feel compared to the iconic Blades of Chaos. Over the years I have eventually gotten sick of the Blades of Chaos but I will not deny that they are fairly iconic and it is and will be a fantastically designed and visually stunning weapon.

However having played the new God of War this is not even a contest. The Leviathan Axe is one of the greatest weapons ever made in a action game. It is one of those rare weapons that combine heft, weight, brutality, flexibility and combat depth in a way very few weapons do. While it feels sublime mechanically what elevates it is the absolute fantastic audiovisual experience. Just recalling the axe feels soooo satisfying and badass.

I will have to put in this non spoiler Sunhi gif that communicates how awesome it is to use!

1nDjY6E.gif

Does anyone else agree that Leviathan >>> Blades ?

Magicgamer

Oct 28, 2017
I mean that gif in the OP alone answers the question. There's nothing like that in the original trilogy, Leviathan Axe >>>>

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
I think the behind the back perspective also helps sell the power of the axe better than the old camera from GoW 1-3 could do for the blades.

Nov 4, 2017
The axe is way cooler. The blades of chaos honestly weren't ever something I even liked. God of War on PS2 initially just wowed me with the general violence and the grabs and throws.

Arkage

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Blades of Chaos had a simpler combo system with a wider reach, which I found more enjoyable as far it being an arcadey hack n' slash, which this new game really isn't. I also don't really enjoy trying to target things with the axe for distant shots. Though taken as a whole, the axe/shield/boi combo is pretty satisfying to upgrade and mess with.

RoboPlato

Oct 25, 2017
The axe wins due to the recall mechanic but both are some of the coolest melee weapons in games. I was worried that the axe wouldn't compare to the blades but it's awesome. Tons of versatility and it's pretty brutal to use.

Oct 25, 2017
The axe, by far. The sheer utility and creativity it offers, both in combat and general gameplay is clever.

However,
I am glad that the axe wasn't the sole weapon, as it would've been...not necessary stale, but overused.

ShinySunny

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
The axe is better.
I have always hated the blades because of no weight and no impact on hit.
Kratos literally can't die in GOW1-3 because he would spam his AOE omnipresent flying blades that would cover 80-100% of the screen.

TsuWave

Oct 27, 2017
Leviathan. by far. one of my favorite weapons in gaming.

weapon feels amazing, great variety of moves from ranged to close combat, a lot of abilities/power moves through runes. its also incredibly versatile in a way that allowed for many fun puzzles to be designed around it. its future proof too, they can keep expanding upon it with new runes and the possibilities for combos moves with it are damn near endless.

its also a technical marvel, i mean, you throw it, and it doesn't return to you until you call for it regardless of distance, and its return times vary depending on how far away it is.

Pal

Tried to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I still prefer the blades, but the axe was very much welcome. Can't say I disliked it. Still, best weapon was boy. So useful on purple enemies. Even more than axe throw.

Anubis

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i like the badass nature of the blades but axe has more utility imo.

chanunnaki

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's a total toss-up for me. I truly love them both.

one thing I very much miss is the grappling hook ability of the blades in the older games. I would like to see it reintroduced in a sequel, but I dunno how it would gel with the more grounded and weighty feeling of the new direction. Uncharted 4 does it well from a similar perspective, but that has a jump button. And perhaps Spider-Man will scratch that itch too.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I gotta' go with BOY here. If you fully upgrade his abilities, dude's a beast.

(Of the two choices, the axe)

Oct 25, 2017
I'm an axe boy all the way. The blades always felt to me like I wasn't doing a lot of damage when I'm swinging and swinging and swinging them. Every hit with axe, whether you're throwing it or pounding them right in front of you, feels meaningful.

____

Oct 27, 2017
Miami, FL
I hate that BOY will never be seen by his real name(s). But it's so..damn..hilarious lmao.

Also BOY is best weapon. Leviathan Axe next.

Conciliator

Oct 25, 2017
there should be an upgrade in GoW where you can swing boy around like an axe and throw him at enemies

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
The blades, as played-out as they became over the course of the PS2/PS3/PSP entries, are still pretty iconic. I've never thought axes are a cool weapon in any game, especially not hatchets/hand axes.

I'm just bummed Kratos only got to use a spear once and it didn't even have a fully fleshed-out moveset. Spears are pretty much the universal weapon - every culture had them in some form.

Deleted member 1067

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's the LA, but that's mostly because the old gameplay in GoW was boring and merely adequate.

I think they could take a boc style weapon and use the gameplay of 4 in interesting ways, maybe even better than the LA.

_Karooo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Leviathan Axe was created as a response to the Thor's hammer by the same creators.

There's an Axe pommel you get after beating the hardest content that lets you throw the axe with an unlimited range.

Deleted member 3925

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Leviathan Axe is probably the best feeling weapon I've used in a game. Recalling it never gets old.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Depends on what kind of game they're going for. This game's combat seems like it was tailor made for the Axe while the OG trilogy gave other options, they felt the most fun when using the Blades.

Vishmarx

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Leviathan axe by a country mile. The answer is practically handed to you if you beat the game.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
The blades, as played-out as they became over the course of the PS2/PS3/PSP entries, are still pretty iconic. I've never thought axes are a cool weapon in any game, especially not hatchets/hand axes.

I'm just bummed Kratos only got to use a spear once and it didn't even have a fully fleshed-out moveset. Spears are pretty much the universal weapon - every culture had them in some form.

I'm sad Kratos didn't keep the gloves of Hercules from GOW3. Those things were pretty sweet.

Status
Not open for further replies.