• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kalmakov

user requested ban
Banned
Sep 10, 2019
https://s.famitsu.com/news/201909/13183310.html

This is all very rough translation work done by me but some info touched upon includes:
  • This New Guilty Gear title is a continuation of Rev 2's story, but they've also made a point to state that this game is not a sequel to Guilty Gear either and is a completely new title. (This could just mean it's not a new version of Xrd but they seem to refer to Guilty Gear as a whole, very confusing statement.)
  • They still haven't decided if the game shall be a numbered in any way, and mention how having the title be "Guilty Gear" would make it easier to market the game to newer fans.
  • Daisuke points out that the game is still mechanically complex like a Guilty Gear title, but all of the mechanics have been built from scratch instead of reiterating on past systems.
  • The game is not PS4 exclusive.
  • There will be a gameplay demonstration at CEOtaku (Sept. 27-29)

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Continuation of the last game's story... Not a sequel.

Ok.

Just like Wonder Woman 1984 isn't a sequel to the first Wonder Woman other than taking place after the first movie and continuing some of the plotlines.

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
Has any recent Guilty Gear been PS4 exclusive? They're all on PC as well if I recall.

Omar310

Oct 27, 2017
UK
At this point I'm definitely expecting it to be simply be called "Guilty Gear". Probably would be for the best, tbh.

Also, rollback when?

Deleted member 1102

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Some other bits from the interview. Some of it could be wrong so take with a pinch of salt etc;

- Undecided if it'll be a new numbered title or not

- Not an Xrd game either. Rev 2 is considered the conclusion to the Xrd series

- Continuation of Rev 2's story so not a reboot

- Doesn't think every character from Rev 2 will return due to it being made from scratch. Doesn't sound like anything from Xrd will be reused asset wise

- New guy has something to do with the history of Guilty Gear

- Gameplay/systems are being completely re done from scratch

- Wants this to be played by a wider audience

- They're still developing with arcade sticks in mind but it seems like they want to focus on pad players. Seems like there'll no longer be harder combos

- May is a little older but not too much. Seems to be set not long after Rev 2

- Ishiwatari is in charge of music again

- Seems like stage transitions are an actual system and not just a feature

- Playable at ArcREVO. PS4 is confirmed but is not exclusive

EDIT: No idea where you're getting not a sequel from OP seeing as it says multiple times it's continuing on from Rev 2.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
Seems like there's multiple translations out there, but the "not a sequel bit" seems just to relate to the marketing part.
It's a sequel of Rev 2. Just not really a sequel gameplay wise, and so people don't feel lost.

It's reassuring.
Also hoping it's called X4 or something. It was never an issue for other fighting games.

Lord Vatek

Banned
Jan 18, 2018
The whole "Don't give it a number or subtitle to market to new players" thing is so asinine. It just makes the game harder to talk about.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Not PS4 exclusive because it's coming to PS5 as well lol. I suppose it'll be on PC and maybe Xbox too?
Call it Guilty Gears 😛

Deleted member 18857

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
- Undecided if it'll be a new numbered title or not
About that: remember that GGX and GGXX were not numbered titles either. The numbered titles are 1 (the PS1 game) 2 (the proto-MOBA game) and Xrd (the one without any number in the title).

I just don't think Ishiwatari's understanding of the word "numbered" matches what ours is.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
Or... they could just give it a new subtitle in line with the more normalized (by GG standards) aesthetics, if they're worried about scaring off new players with numbers?

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
PC is a given, but I'm thinking Switch is a decent possibility since we got FighterZ, BlazBlue Cross Tag, and Guilty Gear 20th Anniversary Edition on it. ArcSys has been pretty good with the platform.

Of course it could also be a distant hint at PS5 (Xrd was cross-gen) but I imagine this game will be out quite a bit before that happens.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
PC is a given, but I'm thinking Switch is a decent possibility since we got FighterZ, BlazBlue Cross Tag, and Guilty Gear 20th Anniversary Edition on it. ArcSys has been pretty good with the platform.

Of course it could also be a distant hint at PS5 (Xrd was cross-gen) but I imagine this game will be out quite a bit before that happens.

When Cross Tag came out they specifically said that Switch wasn't a good fit for Guilty Gear because they want good graphics so I wouldn't count on it.

They presumably just mean PS5 and PC.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Shantae_HalfGenieHero_20161216175119_thumb.jpg

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
When Cross Tag came out they specifically said that Switch wasn't a good fit for Guilty Gear because they want good graphics so I wouldn't count on it.

Daisuke said it might not be a good fit and that he wasn't gonna draw any conclusions about it at the time. That interview was long before FighterZ made its way onto the platform and showed that the graphics tech works fine on the platform.

That doesn't mean the graphics tech of the new game is guaranteed to work, granted, but we don't know how easy it is to port just yet. It's all still Unreal Engine, so I reckon it may be easier than given credit. I'm not expecting it but I'm not ruling it out.

Moves

Oct 27, 2017
They should just call it a soft reboot. Continuing story, but remaking all game mechanics from scratch, giving it a new look, and pushing marketing for new users.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX

But at the same time, Xrd ran on UE3, which doesn't natively support the Switch & would require more work from ASW to port Xrd over. This game runs on UE4, so a port would be more feasible (see DBFZ).

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017

Also the recent Arc-published Kill La Kill game on switch.

Agree though that GG there would be a longshot.

Big Tent Expat

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I think what he's trying to get across is that:

Story = sequel to Xrd Rev 2
Gameplay/Graphics = not a continuation of Xrd Rev 2, but a true sequel made from scratch

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
Daisuke said it might not be a good fit and that he wasn't gonna draw any conclusions about it at the time. That interview was long before FighterZ made its way onto the platform and showed that the graphics tech works fine on the platform.

That doesn't mean the graphics tech of the new game is guaranteed to work, granted, but we don't know how easy it is to port just yet. It's all still Unreal Engine, so I reckon it may be easier than given credit. I'm not expecting it but I'm not ruling it out.
FighterZ has pretty significant dips at times. The visuals in this game seem to be a pretty significant leap over Xrd so it is hard to say how viable it would be.

I would not make a hard bet on the game coming to Nintendo Switch just yet. It would be cool if everyone could get it with no drawbacks too. Even cooler if it had crossplay between everything on top of that.

TimeFire

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
Brazil
FighterZ has pretty significant dips at times. The visuals in this game seem to be a pretty significant leap over Xrd so it is hard to say how viable it would be.

I would not make a hard bet on the game coming to Nintendo Switch just yet. It would be cool if everyone could get it with no drawbacks too. Even cooler if it had crossplay between everything on top of that.

This game is 1v1 however, so it might actually run better than the 3v3 crazyness that is DBFZ. Crossplay is the dream though.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Yeah. All things considered, DBFZ having dips isn't too surprising since it's doing way more stuff at once, being a faster game on top of being able to have up to four characters on screen at once doing massive screen consuming attacks. One advantage both Xrd - and I can see this new game having as well - is that it's probably not going to be anywhere near as chaotic and fast-paced, being a 1v1 fighter, but then none of us have seen raw gameplay just yet and it's hard to quantify the abstractions of "3v3 assist-based crazy beam effects figther" against "visually cutting edge 1v1 fighter".

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Not exclusive... God I hope that means coming to Xbox but it probably means PS4/PC.

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX

But at the same time, DBFZ is a 3v3 fighting game with a ton of shit going on with supers & whatnot. While the visuals have been upgraded for GGX4 (I'll call it this for now until ASW gives the game a finalized name), it being 1v1 could be somewhat easier to optimize depending how crazy things get in this game.

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
So a soft reboot that probably wont rely on too much of the previous lore is my guess, a soft reboot. Also hoping for a day and date PC release!

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
But at the same time, DBFZ is a 3v3 fighting game with a ton of shit going on with supers & whatnot. While the visuals have been upgraded for GGX4 (I'll call it this for now until ASW gives the game a finalized name), it being 1v1 could be somewhat easier to optimize depending how crazy things get in this game.
I do not disagree, but the backgrounds look far, far more extravagant here than they did in FighterZ. I think there is a lot more going on under the hood here than we might expect.

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I do not disagree, but the backgrounds look far, far more extravagant here than they did in FighterZ. I think there is a lot more going on under the hood here than we might expect.
True, & I could see that being a problem. I just hope that if this game gets a Switch port, that they optimize the game to where it can hold 60fps.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
Not exclusive... God I hope that means coming to Xbox but it probably means PS4/PC.
Pretty sure BlazBlue: Chrono Phantasma Extend not selling on XB1 was the end of the line for Arc making ports of their own IPs for Xbox, at least this gen (decisions regarding platforms for DBFZ having been with Bamco).