• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere South
I pre ordered the dlc to be able to continue the fantastic main story, which I loved and everybody on the old forum told me that this will be a continuation.
My hype level went down from 10/10 to meh.

While it isn't a straight-up continuation, from what I've read it sets up a threat (the Daemon, that repairs, buffs and frenzies the machines) that is most likely directly related to the main plot of the franchise.
It's probably HEPHAESTUS.

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
While it isn't a straight-up continuation, from what I've read it sets up a threat (the Daemon, that repairs, buffs and frenzies the machines) that is most likely directly related to the main plot of the franchise.
It's probably HEPHAESTUS.

It won't for sure be the hunt for
hades and sylens
, so your idea makes sense. I expected we would learn more about the corruption and its origin in the DLC and the days before
Gaia had to self destruct
The problem for me here (atm): no matter what it is, it can't be something that evolves the story in any significant way because it has to make sense to players that don't know about what really went down.
But we'll see. It's already bought...

ronaldthump

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So does anyone have a review copy and can tell me how to get to the frozen wilds? I'm on NG+ and ran to the door and it's still shut?! DM please!!!

Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere South
The problem for me here (atm): no matter what it is, it can't be something that evolves the story in any significant way because it has to make sense to players that don't know about what really went down.

Well, a direct follow up DLC would have the same "problem", being "optional" content. Main difference is that anything they add to the storyline through The Frozen Wilds has to be consistent with the story as originally told - can't contradict what's already there and can't use what would be conceivable as future knowledge.

If my speculation is indeed right, it might massively change the circumstances where Horizon 2 begins.

One of the main things Aloy has to deal with in the sequel is rebuilding GAIA to get the terraforming effort back on track and prevent a new extinction. Dealing with HEPHAESTUS would be a great first step - he's the machine builder, if you want to rebuild a machine, that's where you begin.

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
Ugh I can't wait. This is one of the best games of the generation for me, so it feels crazy that we're already getting more of it. This year is just too good.

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Well, a direct follow up DLC would have the same "problem", being "optional" content. Main difference is that anything they add to the storyline through The Frozen Wilds has to be consistent with the story as originally told - can't contradict what's already there and can't use what would be conceivable as future knowledge.

If my speculation is indeed right, it might massively change the circumstances where Horizon 2 begins.

One of the main things Aloy has to deal with in the sequel is rebuilding GAIA to get the terraforming effort back on track and prevent a new extinction. Dealing with HEPHAESTUS would be a great first step - he's the machine builder, if you want to rebuild a machine, that's where you begin.

as far as I understand the story: evolution was going well and everything developed as planned. Of course the Apollo subroutine was missing because it has been deleted by faro himself, but everything else was working out. Up until one day, when a signal of unknown origin was received by Gaia. That signal hacked the entire system and turned all other subroutines into rogue and independent AIs (no longer bound to Gaia) and made hades start to redo Gaia's work. In a way hades just did what it was designed to do, but it only got that opportunity because Gaia prime was 'hacked' and lost control over the other AIs and not because evolution was starting to go wrong. I don't think there is a need for Gaia to be rebuild. I don't even think it would be possible to do so. Hephaestos is just one of many rogue Gaia subroutines, that has been (probably) further corrupted or even influenced by hades. Dealing with it (destroying), wouldn't change much for a sequel. Sure the AI that was designing the robots would be gone, but the foundrys making the robots would still be active all around the world. Further hades, sylvas and whoever send the original Singal (hacking Gaia) are still roaming free, doing whatever v they are doing. No matter what we do in the DLC.

Skux

Oct 26, 2017
Good to see them putting weapons and outfits behind quests, a much more rewarding way to do it than just shard grinding.

Venture

Oct 25, 2017

That seems like where there are going with the story in Frozen Wilds, but how are they going to handle it? Doesn't that mean they'd have to make several versions of some cutscenes and dialog? Aloy's reaction to things would be very different depending upon where you're at in the main story.

Kaako

Oct 25, 2017
15 hours of content? Sounds great. Can't wait to jump back in this beautifully crafted world.

Deleted member 888

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Somone on Reset posted a guy hitting "me" over the head with a bottle gif as I said I still hadn't played Horizon. I can't remember what Horizon topic this was in to direct quote now.

Whoever it was, you will now be happy to know I finally bought Horizon. Not sure why I waited this long! I guess regardless of the reviews I was a bit unsure about trusting Guerilla moving on from Killzone (I know that fear seems to be waaaaay wrong).

Popetita

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
TX|PR
I really hope the narrative part of the DLC is as good as the main game. Hope it even has some 'past' component. It was one of the reason I really enjoyed the game.

Dash

Oct 25, 2017
Playing through the base game for the second time in the lead up to the expansion. This really is something special. The atmosphere is out of this world.

Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere South
as far as I understand the story: evolution was going well and everything developed as planned. Of course the Apollo subroutine was missing because it has been deleted by faro himself, but everything else was working out. Up until one day, when a signal of unknown origin was received by Gaia. That signal hacked the entire system and turned all other subroutines into rogue and independent AIs (no longer bound to Gaia) and made hades start to redo Gaia's work. In a way hades just did what it was designed to do, but it only got that opportunity because Gaia prime was 'hacked' and lost control over the other AIs and not because evolution was starting to go wrong. I don't think there is a need for Gaia to be rebuild. I don't even think it would be possible to do so. Hephaestos is just one of many rogue Gaia subroutines, that has been (probably) further corrupted or even influenced by hades. Dealing with it (destroying), wouldn't change much for a sequel. Sure the AI that was designing the robots would be gone, but the foundrys making the robots would still be active all around the world. Further hades, sylvas and whoever send the original Singal (hacking Gaia) are still roaming free, doing whatever v they are doing. No matter what we do in the DLC.

Quoting from GAIA's dying plea hologram:

"While this admittedly desperate course of action will avert the immediate crisis, the fate of life on Earth will remain in peril. With no central governing intelligence to regulate the terraforming system, it will continue operations for some time, but in an increasingly chaotic manner, and eventually, it will break down."

"[...] your gene print will allow you to enter other facilities, and over time, harness their technologies to rebuild the system core and reboot GAIA."

We know for a fact that HEPHAESTUS itself is already going haywire - the Cauldron logs show that it hacked into their systems and changed their priorities towards building more aggressive machine with the intent of culling human population. We have no idea what the others might be doing.

That seems like where there are going with the story in Frozen Wilds, but how are they going to handle it? Doesn't that mean they'd have to make several versions of some cutscenes and dialog? Aloy's reaction to things would be very different depending upon where you're at in the main story.

Yeah, it will be interesting to see how they'll handle it. I mean, the main game already does this to some degree, with dialog changing if you talk to certain characters at different points, but this is more extensive and complex.

ronaldthump

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
posted multiple times but and someone DM me where the entry to this TFW is? I've been running around (have the review code) for hours and I can't find it anywhere. Getting kinda old. zzzz

on NG+ w frozen wild install and the north door is still shut. I tried jumping around near the
grave mind
NE Area and died when aloy fell to her death and surely that area isn't where you go to get access to it is it? I can see a road leading (NW)

kind of frustrating that the DLC doesn't tell you where it is.

Deleted member 17289

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
my only gripe with the original game was that the
final scene was a pre rendered video instead of a real time cutscene like the rest of the game, i was wearing this cool armor and when i saw alloy with the start out outfit i was you gotta be kidding me!
, i hope the same does not happen on the DLC.

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Quoting from GAIA's dying plea hologram:

"While this admittedly desperate course of action will avert the immediate crisis, the fate of life on Earth will remain in peril. With no central governing intelligence to regulate the terraforming system, it will continue operations for some time, but in an increasingly chaotic manner, and eventually, it will break down."

"[...] your gene print will allow you to enter other facilities, and over time, harness their technologies to rebuild the system core and reboot GAIA."

We know for a fact that HEPHAESTUS itself is already going haywire - the Cauldron logs show that it hacked into their systems and changed their priorities towards building more aggressive machine with the intent of culling human population. We have no idea what the others might be doing.

Yeah, it will be interesting to see how they'll handle it. I mean, the main game already does this to some degree, with dialog changing if you talk to certain characters at different points, but this is more extensive and complex.

oh, forgot that. Okay...

ronaldthump

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Dunno what happened but suddenly the main screen now has TFW on it and after about 4 + hours of running around the game suddenly picks up I have the review code and it's available on the front end. Weird

ronaldthump

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Loaded my old game with the full map and it's active there too and yes with the full skill tree

Allseeingeye

Banned for having an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Any news on if loot is better? The base game loot was almost non-existent which killed any reason to keep exploring. Would be nice if optional dungeons/caves were a thing,

Socivol

Oct 25, 2017
Any news on if loot is better? The base game loot was almost non-existent which killed any reason to keep exploring. Would be nice if optional dungeons/caves were a thing,

They said they changed the rewards for quests so the rewards were more robust. According to what they said quests can now give you items, weapons, or armor as rewards.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
Quest looks good. Animations on the characters on the cutscenes definitely seems improved, though I'm getting no sense of improved camera work.

A1an

Oct 26, 2017
UK
There seems to be a lot of content in this, if you are going to do an expansion then this is how to do it, loved the game so far and have this pre-ordered.

ronaldthump

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just finished more or less - with some minor quests attached to the DLC to clean up. still embargoed but will do a write up for this when its ready.

Snake Eater

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They said they changed the rewards for quests so the rewards were more robust. According to what they said quests can now give you items, weapons, or armor as rewards.

It's a good change, unless one was a completist there was very little reason to keep doing side missions once the player is comfortable with their level.

Can't wait to play this Tuesday, fresh after beating Horizon

Kliemie

Oct 26, 2017
Omg i need to finish Odessey fast (at least story mode)! Cant wait to go back to Aloy and enjoy the beautiful world